main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey should have joined the dark side and become Empress.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Gerbil, May 16, 2020.

?

Should Rey have joined the dark side?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    48.9%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Undecided

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yeah cause we've never seen the hero of a SW trilogy fall to the dark side....I wouldn't like it. When Vader fell we already knew his story and ending.

Tia and Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid like this.
  2. Darth Boycs

Darth Boycs Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2018
    Straight out of Trilogy of Terror.

[​IMG]

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I could’ve accepted her momentarily seizing the power of the dark side, ala Frodo Baggins, while ultimately ending up doing the right thing. These characters are role models for young people in many parts of the world. Having the protagonist embrace authoritarianism was never an option, and shouldn’t have been. Unless it was crystal clear that this was the wrong thing to do.

Darth Nave likes this.
  4. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    The idea of her going dark side as a Palpy is not at all out of line for her story wise. Unfortunately, I would have to say the last film of a 9 film saga about good overcoming evil just isn't the time for it. Her taking the Skywalker name might limit that concept also, then again what of interest would she be up to with no Sith and no Ben?

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    To some extent the ST has negated the thematic element of 'good overcoming evil', because obviously the OT 3 largely failed. If anything, the ST establishes that evil is never truly vanquished.

AusStig, KnightStorm and starocean90 like this.
  6. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I can understand that to a degree, but it's a nice thought that artistically, they could have ended with a twist on a darker tone. I would have loved it, I really would. I had several options on my wish-list for how the saga might end (none came true)

a) Rey dies as Ben is redeemed, him going into a kind of self-imposed exile, a journey of penance. A bleak, tragic end for our plucky heroine
    b) A switcheroo, whereby Ben is redeemed, but at the cost of Rey who turns to the dark side, ruler of a new Empire
    b) Rey joins Kylo on the dark side. The movie ends with them both taking the thrones and ruling a new Empire

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Only if she dressed way sexier. But LucasFilm would never allow it.

AusStig and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    There's some great fan art out there.

Allegedly.

AusStig likes this.
  9. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    It is your destiny to rule here, it is in your blood, Palpatine says. Or something like that.

In the Mizzlewump leak, the sith had been founded by an ancestor of Palpatine. The return of the sith. He says that too. Maybe the ancestor was a woman...'Skywalker' started with a woman, and no father, and the 'dyad' idea was something both sith and ancient.

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Had Ben Solo survived - now that's an interesting story. Former Supreme Leader of the First Order. Most evil person in the galaxy. Now he's a a good guy but still wanted for his crimes. How's that work.

Finger crossed if we the further adventures of the Sequel Trilogy characters Ben Solo didn't die but was transported elsewhere.

11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Then she would have just been space Karen...with super powers to get her way all the time.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It would have been a good way to make her character interesting.

13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    YES! We would get a different trilogy, one that didn't slavishly follow OT beats even when they were out of character and in the way of the story that tried to get out of OT shadow.

LLL and AusStig like this.
  14. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Would have liked to see that!
    Or.... neither of them fully 'dark' or 'light', they create a new kind of galactic government, that's not so 'lenient' as the New Republic (who tolerated slavery) but not as totalitarian and ruthless as the Empire.
    It would have been different, anyway.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Honest question. Did the New Republic tolerate slavery within its borders, or just not take action against slavery outside its borders?

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  16. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    They were shown as pretty weak and ineffective in Bloodline, I believe.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Do you remember if that was within New Republic borders?

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I like this idea and you got me thinking about the parallel between Frodo Baggins carrying the ring and Rey taking the Dark Side Thrown.

For Star Wars I think Rey is on a power level much more in line with Gandalf or Galadriel. Both Gandalf and Galadriel rejected the Ring because they knew the huge amount of power they wield guaranteed they'd succumb it's dark power. Gandalf even says he'd start by trying to use the Ring's power for good but was wise enough to see the corrupting power of the ring would quickly turn his use of it to evil.

Gandalf and Galadriel are offered the Ring willing by Frodo. And both have scary and violent reactions before rejecting the offer. Galadriel says that her not taking the Ring was her final great test.

I think the same dark fate would have happened if Rey took the Dark Side Thrown. Even if she saved the Rebellion that day, soon enough she'd be hunting them all down as she quickly turned evil.

Frodo and the other Hobbits are more like the droids in Star Wars. Frodo had no special magical abilities to make him powerful and no ambition for power. Sauron and the Sith are only interested in corrupting the powerful to serve their ends The way Sauron created The Ring meant it had very little to tempt or corrupt Frodo with. That's because Sauron saw no value in the strength and power Hobbits have. Loyalty, bravery, selflessness, grit. But Gandalf understood and saw it as Sauron's weakness.

The main corrupting factor with Gollum was falling in love with the Ring's beauty and after an initial violent reaction, it's corrupting effect took decades. Even Frodo in the end succumbed to the Ring's Power. The Ring's will to survive was too great. In Mount Doom Frodo couldn't bring himself to destroy the Ring. At the last moment he slipped the Ring on to escape with it. Luckily Gollum was there to get back the Ring. He bit off Frodo's finger and in his joy of reclaiming the precious / and in a fight with Frodo fell into the molten fires of Mount Doom.

Frodo almost went over with Gollum but resisted once the Ring was destroyed. Had Gandalf sent a droid instead, I doubt the Ring would have had any power over them whatsoever. Problem solved.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    The Ring would corrupt :c3po: for sure for he seems to have vanity that goes beyond just his programming.

Great analysis.=D=

20. GajzOl

GajzOl Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2020
    I would say Rey should have taken Ren's hand in TLJ and become his right hand. That would be a bold move! Then in TROS Rey could have been seduced by Palpatine while Kylo could have embraced the Light Side and gradually start to atone for his wrongs. In the finale Ben Solo could have redeemed Rey and together they could have destroyed Sidious once and for all. Ben would have atoned enough not to kill him off and both could have got married.

21. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I remember when Terrio said something along the lines of "House of Palaptine" and "House of Skywalker" and I thought "well, why didn't we get more of the House of Palpatine" in your movie? Instead of having Rey go on a pointless video game chase after MacGuffins, she could have discovered her grandpa early and had a meaningful relationship with him. Unlike meaningless running and shouting with "friends" for 2 hours.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    LLL, AusStig and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would've rather her be Dork Rey.

LLL likes this.
  23. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    Dark Side Rey? Nopey nope, no no.

Just like Snow White who endeavors to bring a sense of domesticity to the dwarfs, altruism compels Rey to help BB8 in his quest to return to the Resistance. She can’t deviate from that sensibility. It would be an affront to the classically romantic heart that lies at the core of her story. The chivalry is strong with this one. Like the Green Knight of yore, she embarks on a quest that could ultimately lead her to her own demise. But she doesn’t falter. She stays true to herself, and she sees it through to end.

That should be celebrated. Fairy tales are better served with happy endings. They inspire hope. Cynicism is overrated.

It’s worth noting Rey and Snow White suffer a similar fate. The Sleeping Death. And then have a snog. Not with each other, but with their respective Prince Charmings. Although calling Kylo charming is a stretch. And I’m pretty sure the dude from Snow White demonstrates the behavioral patterns of an opportunistic sexual predator. But you get my point.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I like your post and agree. Thou I thinkRey's altruism shows a lot of Palpatine's innate drive. There is real danger for Rey having turned to the Dark Side.

Rey's chivalry and sense of right and wrong in The Force Awakens is uncompromising. She is compelled to help BB-8, but at the same time Rey is compelled to confront Teedo. Rey immediately goes to a threat of violence against the mount riding alien. In freeing BB-8 Rey is also taking the droid from Teedo. Rey may not be taking BB-8 for herself but Rey is making Teedo obey her will.

To give up without a fight Teedo is either extremely timid or Rey has proven herself in the past to be a lethal threat not worth dealing with. Ultimately in the end Rey stays true to her code of chivalry, but there was a real danger from the start where she could slip. The traits that make her such a great hero would also make her a great villain.

Agreed. And Star Wars is a more than anything about hope. I think the tragedy of Revenge of the Sith makes the final ending of that film the most hopeful of all the Star Wars films. Other films are more triumphant, but after everything falls apart during the movie the seeds of hope at the end shine all the brighter.

I like this Snow White analogy. The Emperor looks like the masculin version of Snow White's Wicked Queen when she is in the guise of an old woman. Both the Wicked Queen and The Emperor send hunters to kill the girl before confronting her themselves. Both the Queen and Palpatine go through transformations. Both make a final stand in a rocky environment with flashes of lightening. Both are killed by lightening.

LLL and heels1785 like this.
  25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I never really thought Rey would turn to the dark side. The character just had too much innate goodness. She made some strange choices but that had more to do with her being on her own most of the time.

heels1785 likes this.