main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge June is WIP MONTH! (Finish WIPs, get colors!)—IT'S ON!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , May 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Great news, writers!
    WIP MONTH IS BACK!
    [​IMG]
    (Previous WIP month: WIPuary, February 2020)

So, what is it?
    A challenge for finishing (or at least making progress on) WIPs, of course! The concept is adapted from the WIPtober challenge hosted each October by http://wipweek.tumblr.com. Participants commit to either completing a certain number of WIPs or writing a certain number of words toward WIPs over the course of the month and give regular reports throughout their progress. Then, at the end of the month, they share their completed work so we all can enjoy it.

There’s one slight difference from the original WIPtober: JCF WIP Month challenges will include a review component, too. In addition to committing to writing on your own WIPs (or instead of that), you may show your support for others’ WIPs by committing to reviewing a certain number of them.

What's more, both writers and reviewers can receive colors for their participation! (Thanks again to our fab mod team! More on colors below.)

Cool! How do I take part as a writer?
    Easy peasy! First, post in this thread before May 31 specifying whether you choose the Finishing Option, the Word Count Option, or both:
    • Finishing Option: specify how many and which WIPs you commit to finishing during the month of June (with titles or descriptions, and links for those that you have begun posting).
    • Word Count Option: specify how many words you commit to writing on WIPs during the month of June (in multiples of 1000, please), and which WIPs (again, with titles or descriptions, and links for those that you have begun posting).
    Then I'll add that information to the writers' portion of the challenge index below. After that, it's kind of like a word race: you can report on your progress throughout the month, and I'll update the challenge index with that information accordingly. As you go, you may share links to the works or chapters of works you finish; links of finished works will be shown in bold in the index.

How do I take part as a reviewer?
    That's easy-peasy, too. Simply post in this thread before May 31 specifying how many of your fellow participants' WIP stories you commit to reviewing during the month of February. (You don't need to specify which specific WIPs, just a number.) I'll add you to the reviewers’ portion of the challenge index. Then, when you post one of your reviews, share the link in this thread, and I’ll record it in the list.

(Please note: your review has to be on one of the stories from the writers’ challenge index for it to count. Also, you’re committing to reviewing a certain number of individual stories, not to writing a certain number of reviews. Reviewing different chapters of the same story doesn’t count.)

You said something about colors...?
    Yes, sure did! All participants who make their goal or any part thereof stand to win colors. Here's how it works.

For writers:
    1. If you choose the Finishing Option: If you commit to finishing finished X WIPs, you can earn at most X * 24 hours of colors (max. one week).
    Examples:
    • WriterOne commits to finishing 3 WIPs and finishes all of them—3 days (72 hours) of colors.
    • WriterTwo commits to finishing 3 WIPs and finishes just 2 of them—2 days (48 hours) of colors.
    • WriterThree commits to finishing 3 WIPs and finishes not only all three of them but one more as well that isn’t in the challenge index—3 days (72 hours) of colors. (Only the ones that they originally committed to count. This is to keep us from getting distracted, and all that. :p )
    2. If you choose the Word Count Option: how long your colors last is based on how many thousand words you ended up writing on the WIPs you specified. Thus, if you committed to writing X-thousand words, you can earn at most X * 24 hours (max. one week).
    Examples:
    • WriterFour commits to writing 5000 words on WIPs and achieves a final count of 5243—5 days of colors.
    • WriterFive commits to writing 5000 words and achieves a final count of 4802—4 days of colors.
    • WriterSix commits to writing 5000 words and achieves a final count of 6097—5 days of colors.
    (Please note that these word counts are to include only words written on the WIPs you signed up for, not all words written in February. So yes, honor system, and all.)

For reviewers:
    In contrast to the writing rewards, rewards for reviewing will go by every two reviews (which we hope will encourage people to commit to multiple reviews!). Thus for every two reviews you commit to writing, you can earn at most X * 24 hours of colors (max. one week).
    Examples:
    • ReaderOne signs up to review 2 WIPs and reviews both of them—24 hours of colors.
    • ReaderTwo signs up to review 2 WIPs and reviews only one of them—no colors (sorry, Charlie!)
    • ReaderThree signs up to review 4 WIPs and reviews all of them—48 hours of colors.
    • ReaderFour signs up to review 4 WIPs and reviews 3 of them—24 hours of colors (rounding down to the nearest even number).
    • ReaderFive signs up to review 4 WIPs and ends up reviewing 6—still 48 hours of colors.
    (Again, please note that this only applies to reviews of stories from the challenge index—hence my asking for links.)

Please Note:
    1. The deadline for signing up, for both writers and reviewers, is May 31. (So you have a little over two weeks from the posting of this OP.)
    2. Any member of JCF may sign up, but please don’t sign up both yourself and a sock. Honor system, and all that.
    3. You can sign up as a writer, a reviewer, or both.
    4. Those signing up as writers may sign up for both the Finishing and Word Count Options if desired. (E.g., “I commit to both finishing ‘The Wreck of the Rusty Hinge’ and writing 2000 words on ‘Padawan McGilicuddy’s Bad Day.’”)
    5. And yes, if you’re really super ambitious, you can sign up as a writer in both options and as a reviewer.
    6. This challenge only counts work done on WIPs during the month ofJune. Again, honor system.
    7. MOOIE, MOOIE IMPORTANT: If you are participating as a writer, with either option, you may NOT add WIPs to the challenge index after May 31. (This is to encourage people to stick with the stories they commit to at the beginning of the challenge. It kind of defeats the purpose if people can just add whatever extra plot bunnies happen to pop into their minds during the month of June.)
    8. The maximum amount of colors anyone can win is one week’s worth, whether you are signed up as a writer, a reviewer, or both. For example:
    • If WriterSeven commits to writing 3000 words and reviewing 2 stories, and makes both commitments, they receive 3 + 1 = 4 days’ worth of colors. (Again, remember that colors for reviews go by every two reviews.)
    • If WriterEight commits to writing 5000 words and reviewing 4 stories, and makes both commitments, they receive 5 + 2 = 7 days’ worth of colors (the maximum).
    • But if WriterNine commits to writing 5000 words and reviewing 6 stories, and makes both commitments, they still receive 7 days’ worth of colors (i.e., NOT 5 + 3 = 8 days).
    9. If you end up not being able to keep your full commitment for any reason at all, don’t worry! Just do what you can, because you can still earn colors and have a good time! :)
    10. Any further questions, feel free to ask right here in the thread!

Now good luck, and may the WIPs be with you!
    [​IMG]

The WIP Month Index!
    Titles of posted stories are linked; titles of unposted stories are shown in italics. Boldface numbers indicate current word or review counts. Boldface story titles indicate finished stories.

Writers: Finishing Option
    (NB: If word counts are reported, they will be added in bold. Once the story is complete, they will be removed, but the whole story title will be bolded.)
    devilinthedetails: two untitled stories All Things Nice and one untitled story
    TheRynJedi: Community and Crisis of the Heart
    Kurisan: Friend in Need (~10,000): 3000
    *Mira_Jade: As Rolls a Thousand Waves to the Rock, We Claim Our Own Landscape, The Worlds Your Hands Touch, Color Me Pink, untitled MMM story
    Findswoman: three untitled stories for challenges
    amidalachick: untitled story (Haiku Challenge): 700, The Other One We Make (Pride Challenge)
    Raissa Baiard: one drabble set in Week 3 of Into the Drabble-verse, one vignette ...When You Were Drunk in Things You Said

Writers: Word Count Option
    Names (and, where applicable, stories) of users who have achieved their word count goal are in bold.
    devilinthedetails: 2000 on A Hundred Drabbles: 2000, 2000 on Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan: 3138, 2000 on Cold Harvest: 1917
    Kahara: 1000 on Twin Suns Bed and Breakfast and Other Stories, 3000 on untitled Legends story: 263, 1000 across Drifters and Stardust and Cloud Nine: 128
    Sith-I-5: 1000 on The Princess of Renatasia
    Kit': 6000 total: 2000 on Just a Spoonful of Trouble: 2845, 1000 on CCC-USJS: 1120, 2000 on untitled Namia/Kit fic: 3294, 500 on untitled Family of Scoundrels untitled fic Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails: 10045, 500 on Haiku Challenge Noonflower: 2498
    *Mira_Jade
    : 2000: 1000 on Cut Into Little Stars: 1000, 1000 on Your Reach Into the Far: 1000
    Findswoman
    : 1000 on drabbles The Sisterhood of the Rose Evergreen: 1000
    amidalachick: 1000 on Silly Love Songs: 400, 2000 on Raise The Candles High: 2000
    Raissa Baiard
    : 2000 total across Meet the Aliit, And They Lived Happily Ever After, The Journal of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus, Jedi Action Hero (or Something), and Wolf Brother: 2100
    Pandora: 3000 across The Winter Queen, Water Flowing Underground, The Wrong Side of History, Or, and “Something is shining like gold, but better”

Reviewers
    Names of users who have achieved their reviewing goal are in bold.
    devilinthedetails: 6: 2 (Just a Spoonful of Trouble, Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails)
    WarmNyota_Sweet Ayesha: 8: 8 (Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan, A Hundred Drabbles, Into the Drabble-Verse, Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails, Raise the Candles High, All Things Nice, The Sisterhood of the Rose Evergreen, Crisis of the Heart)
    Kahara: 6: 2 (The Sisterhood of the Rose Evergreen, The Journal of Ronen Syndulla-Jarrus, Jedi Action Hero (or Something))
    Kit': 4: 4 (As Rolls a Thousand Waves to the Rock, Into the Drabble-Verse, All Things Nice, The Sisterhood of the Rose Evergreen)
    Kurisan: 10
    *Mira_Jade: 10: 10 (Just a Spoonful of Trouble, The Sisterhood of the Rose Evergreen, Crisis of the Heart, Into The Drabble-verse, ...When You Were Drunk, Raise the Candles High, The Other One We Make, Snips and Snails and Bantha's Tails, The Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan, All Things Nice)
    Findswoman: 8: 8 (Into the Drabble-Verse, ...When You Were Drunk, Cold Harvest, Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails, Cut into Little Stars, Crisis of the Heart, All Things Nice, Color Me Pink)
    amidalachick: 6: 6 (Just a Spoonful of Trouble, And They Lived Happily Ever After, All Things Nice, The Sisterhood of the Rose Evergreen, A Hundred Drabbles, Cut into Little Stars)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ooh, yay, I'm so excited to see this up again, and hopefully it'll be the good motivation I need to work on some of my work in progresses (which I'm going to pretend is a word even if it isn't...) Thank you so much for hosting this again, @Findswoman. @};-

For the word count option, I will commit to writing:

2000 words in my Hundred Drabbles collection.

2000 words in my Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan.

2000 words in my currently sadly and shamefully neglected Cold Harvest.

For the finishing option, I'll commit to finishing two as yet untitled stories.

For the reviewing option, I'll commit to reviewing six stories.

Yes, I'm shooting for the moon here, but even if I miss, I'll still land among the stars as the inspirational quote goes:D

3. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Ok, going to do this. Will figure out what exactly my goal will be later after I review what I need to finish.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Kurisan, Kahara, Mira_Jade and 2 others like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh @Findswoman thanks for doing this AGAIN! [face_dancing] [face_party]

I am signing up as a reviewer to do 6 reviews.

5. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    IT'S BACK! [face_dancing]

Alright, I'll sign up for:

1,000 words on this here drabble collection: Twin Suns Bed & Breakfast and Other Stories [UDC IX]

3,000 words on my unnamed Legends EU OTP thing from last time. 7000 + words and counting, no satisfactory title. :rolleyes:

6 reviews

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Excellent, so glad to see folks signing up! I inadvertently forgot to reserve a post at the beginning for the index (I guess I was just too! excited!), but I've added one to the OP that should have everyone who's in so far; let me know if I've forgotten anyone or anything. :)

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  8. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Got that in the index too! Thanks so much! :)

9. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  10. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Ok, now that I've spent last week writing the story for the OC Challenge and have moved to beta-read on it...
    I am going to finish "Crisis of the Heart" and "Community". They both really only have one chapter left to write, and I know roughly what happens, but I've just been brain-dead on getting them knocked out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Sounds good, @Kurisan and @TheRynJedi, and great to see you both here! Kuri, just let me know whenever you're ready, and I'll update the index accordingly. And Ryn, I've got you in! :)

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Okay, so I'm going to sign up for this even though it's peak marking month! Hopefully I'll be able to fit some writing in around the edges.

I commit to writing

2000 words of my drabble collection - A spoonful of trouble
    1000 words for the Continuing, Continuing, Continuing Saga of the Ultra-Stressed Jedi Students (hereafter CCC-USJS)
    2000 words for my unnamed Namia/Kit fic
    500 words for Family of Scoundrels unnamed fic
    500 words for the HaiKu challenge which I WILL finish!

So a hefty and rather confronting 6000 words. Ouch. Why do I get such a bad feeling about this.

Reviews

4 story reviews

Edit: apparently I can’t work out how many weeks in a month so I upped my Drabble collection after I was reminded how a calendar works

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  13. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

14. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE THIS BACK! And not just because I have a whole heap of WIPs that need tending to, myself. :p Really, this is such a great boon for the community, and I can't thank you enough for hosting it again, @Findswoman! [face_love] [face_dancing] [:D]

Alrighty, as for myself, I am going to be a little more strategic with my goals this time! I thought about this, and I think I have a plan of attack for June ready to go! So:

(Obviously not competing for colors) I would like to Review 10 stories.

I would like to Finish:

As Rolls a Thousand Waves to the Rock
    We Claim Our Own Landscape
    The Worlds Your Hands Touch

And I would like to get 400 words done on each of my drabble collections:

Cut Into Little Stars
    Your Reach Into the Far

I technically have a few other WIPs I would love to work on too, but I am going to focus on those first and foremost. I'd be thrilled to clear those off my back burners. [face_love]

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  15. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

16. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Ha, fair! It helps that two of those stories only have two updates left to go, and I know exactly what I'm doing with them. I'm going to give it my best shot!

But, erm, yeah - compared to how ambitious I was last time around that's nothing! [face_laugh] 8-} :oops:

17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Got it! Thanks so much, @Mira_Jade , and it's my great pleasure to be running this challenge again--I'm glad to be of service to the JCF Fanfic community. :)

And hey, nothing wrong with being ambitious, nothing wrong at all! :D In fact, in this challenge it pays to be ambitious, because even if one (well, one non-mod) doesn't finish all ones goals, one still stands to get colors for the ones one does finish--whereas finishing extra things won't get one any colors if one didn't sign up for them. If that makes sense. :p

@Kurisan , how many stories would you like to sign up to review? It would help for me to be able to put a number in the list. (Again, it's fine to be ambitious! :D )

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Kahara, Kurisan, Mira_Jade and 2 others like this.
  18. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    @Kurisan, yes, it does help to have a number, because that will make calculating the colors easier later on. Thanks so much! :)

And now, here are my own goals for plans and goals for myself for WIP Month:
    • Finish: Three untitled one-shots for various non-deadline challenge prompts that I have piled up
    • Review: 8 stories
    Ambitious, perhaps (at least by Finds standards), but hey, nothing wrong with that in this challenge! :D

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  20. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Can I use WIP month to finish off my school reports? [face_laugh]:p

...I do have a WIP but it needs serious surgery and with my school reports deadline, I don't have the time to commit to it right now :(

21. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    devil, are you asking me to take you off the list for the month? Or to take some things off the list? Either is totally fine, because I completely understand how RL can get; please let me know. :)

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I think this isn't devilinthedetails but another user who wishes they could participate @};-

23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yes, I'd still like to participate, and hopefully I can meet all my goals:D

24. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    It's because we're both so blindingly beautiful [face_batting]

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh golly, you’re right! :eek: [face_blush] I’m very sorry about that, @darthhelinith , I did indeed have you mixed up with @devilinthedetails for a moment there. But again, I totally understand about RL commitments, so know that this thread is still here for you if and when you need it! @};-

Edit: And ninja’d! :D

Last edited: May 27, 2020