main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This episode of Black Mirror sucks

Yodaminch, Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    One of the things that's a bit of a downer is the reminder, coming from Dr Fauci himself, that even when a vaccine is found, it might not be as long-lasting as most of us would like.

Sure its better than no vaccine at all, but it also means things might not go back to the pre covid-19 status quo for years, maybe even decades....

3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I hope we never go back to the pre-Covid19 status quo to be honest.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    To be more specific, I mean going back to a point in time when we can go out and not need to wear masks, practice social distancing, and use gloves/hand sanitizer on a regular basis, and when hospitals are not overwhelmed or nearly overwhelmed with coronavirus patients.

Rew and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Texas is moving to phase 3 next Wednesday with 50% capacity for businesses, restaurants, gyms, etc. Seems quite soon, especially considering that Texas hasn't shown a whole lot of improvement, particularly in Houston and Dallas.

And considering the protests (in Houston they truly HAVE been protests for the most part) that's a lot of people who could potentially be around a lot more people.

Thoughts?

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I think his words @Princess_Tina are being misconstrued a bit as it's more about understanding how the vaccine will work as it will be more like the flu shot then a true vaccine. It might be something that will need to get every year and some years it will work better then others. The hope is that eventually it will be given with the flu shot (which is something not enough people get) so we can cut down on our flu illnesses and deaths.

I think between opening too fast and the protests @jedijax we are in for a world of hurt come the fall but I am praying to God that I am wrong and we somehow manage to avoid a horrendous second wave. A month from now will be very telling of what direction we are going with COVID.

Rew and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    At this point, as I said, even a limited-time vaccine is better than nothing at all

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    In regards to the folks still waiting for their pandemic stimulus:

9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    This is nothing new and isn't much surprising. But it shows that the WHO officials, unlike what many people are thinking, were not "accomplices" with China behind the scenes when the coronavirus pandemic started. And this story doesn't support neither Trump's narrative, nor Xi Jinping's narrative regarding the WHO's handling and their countries' own handling of the pandemic.

But still, one has to wonder why the WHO and its director general, Dr. Tedros, still didn't want to publicly criticize China's lack of transparency when the pandemic was starting, which might have put a bit more international pressure from other countries in releasing early information, instead of wasting precious time at its beginning, same when the SRAS epidemic in 2003 when WHO heavily criticized Chinese authorities for their lack of transparency:

Article released by Associated Press

China delayed releasing coronavirus info, frustrating WHO

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There are a lot of problems with the WHO, imho, but it doesn't absolve individual countries for completely mismanaging the response to the pandemic.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    George Floyd had asymptomatic coronavirus, autopsy finds.

I wonder if those cops were exposed to it.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  12. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Most countries also rely on information coming from the WHO as well. If information from the WHO to countries is coming too slowly, then it's also a factor in each countries own response.

However it's also true that many individual countries didn't take seriously or mismanaged their response to the pandemic when we look for example at Taiwan, which still hasn't been invited as an observer-state at the latest World Health Assembly and WHO's refusal to integrate it, which has only 440 cases and 7 death (the great majority of the cases have now recovered), and almost two months with no local cases of infections. Taiwan only had to rely on itself rather than relying WHO's guidance, which each individual country could have done as well, allowing a quicker and more responsible response.

Posted on May 17th.

[​IMG]

Rew likes this.
  13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I was thinking specifically of Taiwan in writing the earlier post.

And speaking of mismanagement in the US:

blackmyron and SW Saga Fan like this.
  14. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    We share the same thought, what a coincidence! :)

Princess_Tina likes this.
  15. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Yup! Seems confirmed: https://www.nydailynews.com/coronav...0200604-pvhrtjn4mna5blzow3gfx5ag3y-story.html

Knowing how contagious the coronavirus is, even from asymptomatic individuals, wouldn't it be ironic?

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That's not a coincidence, because both of you post every thought you have.

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    One aspect that hasn't been touched on very much in this thread is the way this is affecting immigrants and undocumented people in the US, because so many of them are afraid to seek any kind of help, yet they are also many of the people who are part of essential services, preparing/servinf food in many of the places that are open during the lockdowns, as well as being a crucial part of supermarket crews and janitorial services in many areas of the US. Their safety and well-being is everyone's safety and well-being......

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm....

Chernobyl radioactive fires
    Plague
    Asteroids

Yep, some real Old Testament stuff going down.

Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Locusts!

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Three more needed then.

21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Truly disturbing. Maryland is about to open non-essential businesses tomorrow. I work in MD and the few times I have been in the office, lots of carelessness. So much denial, scary.

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And due to the civil unrest, about 70 testing sites have now closed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...UtrVzVpSXB4UkdTazVaZ1E4MDJWYVdxR3JKRTJOaHF1aA..

So a cloudy picture of trying to track the virus just got even more cloudy. And I hate to say this but not only will the protests lead to a rise in cases but also be uncontrollable. Because it's one thing to contact trace an outbreak from a restuarant, its another to contract trace an outbreak from a protest. I don't even know how you begin to contract trace a breakout from a protest.

It should be noted that some ICU are starting to fill up with non COVID issues including more injuries due outdoor activities and I hate to say this, protests that turn violent.
    Ultimately we really won't know if the protests and reopenings will have a true effect on the COVID numbers for several weeks. I am going to first guess it and say yes but pray I am wrong.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  23. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Sweden has lifted the domestic travel restrictions, from June 13th we are allowed to travel everywhere in the country if we don't show any symptoms.

Pensivia and Darth Punk like this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    All other restrictions are still in effect though, and they've already flagged for the possibility of travel restrictions being reinstated in the case of new spikes in cases.
    They're also going to start testing a lot more, which seems to be why they felt they could ease travel restrictions a little bit.

25. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.