main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion "Star Wars: Underworld" test footage

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by xezene, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    It's just test footage. It's not high production value. It's an expensive storyboard.

El_Machete12, TadoFett and xezene like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I did see a solid snark about this footage though: "Was it going to be available exclusively on CD-Rom." Meeouch! (But Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight was sorta rattling around in my head watching it)

3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    The mockery of the quality of this footage with such snarky comments is so, so lame.

By 2019 standards this looks great. In 2010, with all the rough edges taken off due to being - you know - actually completed and released, this would have blown people away.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Would've preferred Darth Maul Battle of the Sith Lords and 1313.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The speeder is absolutely the best thing in this. Beautiful design and you can tell real thought went into making that. I love how the front "wheel" repulsorlift engines work, the larger down thrust being rotated forward to work as a brake, and then again rotating to face the rear as the vehicle spins around to bring it to a full stop, while the small forward thrust repulsorlift and then the reverse one take over from the main down thrust (less down thrust needed as the speeder descends).

6. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    This was a package deal with 1313 -- they would have come out together. This show was the basis of 1313 and the material depicted of the Underworld in The Clone Wars.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well, ya, it's extremely early pre-production stuff. More like pre-pre production. And it was made 10 years ago. All that being considered, I think it looks really great.

Hopeless, xezene and CernStormrunner like this.
  8. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Wow looks great to me. I had no idea they progressed this far into a concept.

To think this was 2010! Man, I wish they had made this.

Negative comments are rather disingenuous if you really look at the quality of the footage and then, especially, place it’s creation ten years ago.

The green screen footage seems to imply the effects could be generated as they filmed it. Sure it was pre-rendered but an incredible way for the director to be able to direct the live cast.

TadoFett and xezene like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is still LFL/ILM so it seems that Mandalorian's virtual sets is an extension / outgrowth of this technology, instead of green screen it's filmed in camera with video screens.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  10. DarthVigo

DarthVigo Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2019
    I thought GL's pitches were leaked.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    ^ All of what he's written on the ST? I thought we still only have some odds and ends from the Art of TFA and TLJ.

12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  14. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    The test footage looks okay. I mean it's test footage the point is to show it to someone to entice possible pickup for a series or movie. It looks higher budget then a fan film but also looks like a for the time quality. The footage was made a decade ago. Damn that makes me feel old and I'm only nearly 24. I remember hearing about the show and seeing the early Clone Wars art in my earliest days of using the internet when I was younger and it was fun to read about and anticipate when this was going to happen.

While we'll probably never see it at this point since so many ideas have been used from it I still think it's possible for the Underworld Coruscant setting to appear in another live action series. Showing up in the Cassian series for example would make a lot of sense.

This is a comprehensive document putting together every information and interview piece about the show and what's been utilised from it since:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DdxDngZpm6acDGOjXTmj6YeFSMO9aI2fNnAc1lL5HOY/edit

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    starocean90 likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I feel like the basis of the show could still be used if they don’t actually use the written scripts. A show about the syndicates on Coruscant could be even more compelling now with Maul out there somewhere. And they even have a character who could play the sympathetic lead in Qi’ra.

starocean90 likes this.
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah I really want to return to Live Action Coruscant, miss the place. I did like it when they talked about in past about scum/villainy, Godfather/Deadwood type series with loads of action too.

Maul would never be able to return to Coruscant otherwise Palps would sense him but Qira can be his proxy. I do want to see in live action her story continue, one way or the other, same for Maul.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    And with the Volume technology used in the Mandalorian? They could render Coruscant in all its glory without too much expense.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    With the new tech i could see Corucant in all it's glory in this or the Cassian show.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m convinced we’ll see Cassian on a spy mission on Coruscant.

20. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    I was gonna say this is still a great way to have Boba spinoff into his own thing while still being able to be different from the Baby Yoda show, but now that you mention Cassian's show, it'll probably be what actually gets me excited about that show.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a galactic spy thriller. IMO, it’s going to be a planet-hopping fan’s dream come true. Urban locations, remote locations, and everything in between.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I kind of regret seeing this test footage. I really wish something like that had been released. I guess it's not too late to hope! I mean, some 20 SW series are supposedly "in development," right? Chances are high at least ONE of them could be like this.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Honestly, I think there will be elements of the Cassian show that may have this kind of tone.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I really like the looks but acting is bad... just so George Lucas Star Wars, too much CGI, too little directing of actors. Why can Star Wars never combine good acting with fresh imagination and good effects- Lucas has some fresh ideas and great designs, Sequels have better acting however....

25. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    It’s test footage. You don’t waste money on good actors for test footage.