main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek: Staying Connected (UDC 9)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Apr 26, 2020.

1. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    All of these are such sweet and touching moments! [face_love]

I love the image of the girls playing in "Storm", and the pengotter in "Angel" is just too cute!

And I have to echo @pronker, this is beautifully phrased. Such a lovely set, once again! [face_love]=D=

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love the stormy pillow fight, hikaru and his comet, and the screensaver dolphin. The no frost was sweet

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw! This was such a sweet, uplifting set. Not that I expected anything else from our resident connoisseur of mush! [face_love]

Oh! I love how you brought the childhood conversation and observations full circle! [face_love]

I too agree that the no frost allowed to gather was a wonderful phrasing, and a beautiful interpretation of the prompt!

But I think my favorite drabble of the set was the pillow fight in Storm - what a fun, happy moment that will undoubtedly be cherished for long to come. Beautiful! [face_love]

=D= [:D]

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Week 7:

Bight

McCoy and Christine had been working together for the past month and took the time one weekend evening for a sunset picnic of all the stuff that isn't good for you: country fried steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, and apple cobbler.

"You don't know how happy I was when you came back to the Enterprise, Chris," McCoy said.

She laughed, enjoying the way the sunset made colorful patterns of the nearby bay. "That was probably the shortest upwardly mobile job change ever."

"Hey, when you realize you're where you need to be, that's what matters."

Christine agreed, "And now we're working in a small-town family practice. Guess we just needed to keep working as a team?"

"Yeah, if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

--

Thrush

Nyota and Graeme were enjoying an outing at a bird/butterfly refuge.
    Nyota and he had a lot in common as to taste in recreational activity, so her suggestion had been a welcome one.

Colorful thrushes and warblers of every description flitted from flower to flower.

"This is so delightful!" Graeme said. "I'm so glad you suggested it."

"It's a refuge that mirrors the natural habitats." Nyota replied. "That's what appeals to me the most."

Graeme glanced at his lovely companion, dressed in slacks and a T-shirt. Her hair was loose down her back.
    He felt drawn to this vivacious, warm lady, beyond a doubt.

--

Barrel (as in a barrel organ)

On another outing, Graeme and Nyota went to a museum of rare artifacts of byonge days.

One was a barrel organ. It had preprogrammed tunes and had been used at a fair ground.

Nyota laughed. "This brings to mind the country fair complete with too many booths of games and totally unhealthy but delicious food, like cotton candy!"

"Spun sugar on a stick," Graeme grinned. "And baked pretzels with honey mustard."

"You have to be careful with such things especially if you're going on any of the rides, after." Nyota smirked. "My cousin Kiana learned that lesson the hard way."

--

Vintage

Sarek always enjoyed those diplomatic functions where the speeches were held at the bare minimum as to length and number altogether. He also found pleasure in those that offered fine cuisine and vintage wines, for Amanda's enjoyment. Growing up as she had on the Pacific Northwest coast, near traditional wine country, she knew domestic wines and also had a fondness for certain fruity international ones as well.

With T'Mai as his companion, first as his colleague, and then later on in a different context, the nuances of what they chose to share after the function was completely different, as to the tenure of the opinions and observations.

Amanda's commentary had always been astute and wry, whereas T'Mai's no less insightful, but any humorous intent was more understated.

The comparison and contrast was quite intriguing.
    --

Key

Marini beamed as her mother, Kashore, gifted her with a music box with a wind-up key.

"Your Grandmother gave this to me when I was your age," Kashore said.

Marini wound the key and the tinkling notes came softly through.

"That's so pretty, Mommy. What's the song called?"

Kashore smiled happily. "Somewhere over the rainbow. Your Aunt Nyota loves to sing this song, and your Grandma often sang it to us as a kind of lullaby."

She then sang in a voice just about as sweet and melodic as Ny's:

"Someday I'll wish upon a star
    And wake up where the clouds are far
    Behind me.
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Away above the chimney tops
    That's where you'll find me.
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Bluebirds fly.
    Birds fly over the rainbow.
    Why then, oh why can't I?"

++

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Kahara, pronker and Mira_Jade like this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    these are delightful showing the friends doing something they love

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ah... I got behind! Sorry about that! These have all been lovely!!

Week 5-
    I love this look at Vulcan culture and how it's not perfect. They try to avoid those pitfalls, but that's impossible, though they do their best.

Week6-
    This is one of my favorites you've done! In such a short story we see the idea from a young age, and then how ideas develop over someone's life. And that sometimes being that rouge element can make all the difference!

Week 7-
    This was beautiful! Not only a beautiful use of the prompt, but just the idea that it's something that's been passed down from generation to generation. I love that!

7. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    You always have such beautiful responses to the prompts! [face_love]

OH YES. The best kind of food! [face_love] This whole picnic scene is just lovely.

"Thrush" was lovely too. And "Key" was a fantastic way to use the prompt, and I loved how you incorporated the song. Lovely work as always! =D=[face_love]

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These have been fantastic, as always! I love how you used the prompts to incorporate a feeling and setting as much as literal interpretations! They've been just lovely, all! [face_love]

All the stuff that isn't good for you, perfect! But McCoy has fine Southern taste in food, which is only right - and Christine more than appreciates. He can think like a doctor about healthy choices later. :p

How true! In more ways than one. [face_mischief] [face_love]

Oh lovely use of the prompt! [face_love]

Ha! Fair!

I loved this, both for Sarek's memories of Amanda and his healing and moving on with T'Mai later. Both women are special and the differences between them in each bond is special too. [face_love]

What a beautiful interpretation of the prompt! I loved this! [face_love]

Keep up the awesome work! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. =D= [:D]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week VIII

36. Cup

Amanda and Sarek met for coffee. She had a healthy dollop of cream and cinnamon sprinkles added to her cup.

They talked of many things, of their families, work challenges and rewards.

Afterwards, Ashley, one of Amanda's colleagues and a close friend, asked if she thought there'd be an "encore."

"I have no idea."

"Do you want there to be?"

"The question is, does he?"

A few days later, when she and Sarek met by chance and arranged for a light meal at a sushi restaurant, Amanda was thrilled.

37. Mug
    Nyota was introduced by her age-mates to the joys of rootbeer in a mug with large scoops of ice cream.

It was the best thing on a summer afternoon.

She had fond memories of mugs of hot chocolate with s'mores on late fall/early winter afternoons with her family.

38. Glass

"That's a cheap knockoff." Dillon told his sister Miranda during a family vacation on Saint Croix. "It's not real turquoise, merely glass."

"They charged me an arm and a leg for it!"

"That's what you get for frequenting a touristy souvenir shop."

"Pffft. Makes me leery of the food they're trying to sell at these sidewalk stands, then."

39. Goblet

Skylar had been labeled a troublesome fosterling when he broke a gobblet of one of his prior foster parents by accident. They had accused him of doing it deliberately.

When Jim and Audrey started taking him on long "family weekends", he was tentative at first, not wanting to "mess things up" since he figured he'd found a good thing.

"Let's build a tree house," Jim suggested. "Something I always wanted to do, but never did as a kid."

"Your chance to revisit your childhood, I suppose?" Audrey winked.

"As good an excuse as any."

Then, further down the line, when they celebrated the announcement of twins, Skylar almost felt like his place in the family would become tenuous, but he didn't like to say anything. He wanted to appear "all grown up," past such insecurities.

When the ever-observant Audrey noticed his pensive mood, she suggested to Jim and Skylar, "Let's make a full-scale model of the Millennium Falcon?"

Which they proceeded to do along with a large mound of potato chips and onion dip.

40. Chalice

When Amanda and Sarek visited Sondra and Dalton, they eventually got Sarek to try horseback riding.

Amanda was enthusiastic about the work the therapy ranch did for troubled younglings.

"Sarek cuts a fine figure on a horse," she told Sondra.

"I certainly can't disagree with you there," Sondra smiled warmly. "You've found a keeper, truly."

Sarek gifted Dalton and Sondra with a priceless chalice with gold inlays as a thank-you for their hospitality.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a great set showing the work they do for others and the love they share

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I really loved cup (and not just because it made me want fancy coffee, but it did!) but I loved seeing this very beginning of their relationship! Also Mug made me want a root beer float. Basically, now I want all of the drinks. ALL OF THEM!

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week Nine

41. Explosive

"Well, I guess you're glad it's more or less of a mentor/friend coming aboard," McCoy commented when they learned Admiral Nogura was being taken to a difficult sector dispute by the Enterprise.

Jim agreed. Clashes of will with "higher ups" who liked to throw their weight around didn't get far on the Enterprise. The discussions didn't quite become explosive, but it was a near thing.

--

42. Speed

Nyota checked her message inbox every time for the Starfleet Academy application follow-up. The time interval was still within what the documentation had stated, but time seemd to stand still until it finally arrived.

She gave a happy whoop as she read of their acceptance.

"Was there really any doubt?" her mother asked with a teasing lilt.

"No, but you know how it is. You go from hoping to dreading every other minute." Nyota laughed.

The next few weeks, full of farewells and preparations flew by at warp speed, in contrast.

The hugs were especially tight as Nyota parted from her family.

--

43. Thought

"I really like how you listen to each one of us during a briefing," Audrey commented on one of their early dates. "You tease with McCoy, listen with rapt attention to Spock and Sulu and Scott, with warm fondness to Uhura. I haven't quite been able to define your mood when it comes to my input?"

Jim smiled, "It's the mooka-pup reaction."

She laughed. "Or the nerf-herder one."

Jim didn't demur. "That too."

"Somehow, you manage to put it all together into the right strategy."

"And then I toss it out at the first obstacle and 'wing it."

--

44. Absorb

Sherralyn had known Tristan during their Academy days, since they shared a lot of down-time leisure hobbies in common.

When they served together on the Excalibur, however, they became absorbed in missions and in getting to know one another more deeply.

This allowed for a change from friendship to romance, although Sherralyn shared with Miranda and Nyota that it hadn't been an automatic thing that either or both of them would start to feel differently.

"I'm just glad it all helped to make our working relationship that much more rewarding. If either of us had been in love alone, can you imagine what that would have done to our competence, if nothing else?"

"You'd have been grumpier than a wet Wookiee."

---

45. Change

At the end of the 5-year mission, change is inevitable.

Nyota, Audrey, Christine, and Yolette held a gals night full of fudge cheese cake and other decadent sweets. They promised to keep in touch, and Audrey said, "You've been the one that brought us all together and made us all feel like sisters, Ny."

Nyota blushed, happily. "I didn't do anything in particular."

Yolette said, "You just have to be yourself."

Christine agreed. "Your warmth and vivacity worked wonders."

Mira_Jade , pronker and Kahara like this.
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    lovely set, showing the crew at various moments before, during and after the 5 year mission

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  14. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Week 8: I loved all of these but "Mug" was especially sweet (no pun intended! :p).

And I really loved this one! I adore horses and horseback riding, and I'm glad Sarek got to discover the joys of riding in this! :) And I love that they run a therapy ranch. Horses (and animals and farms in general) can really help people so much. [face_love]

Week 9: Another fantastic set!

Oh, I feel for her here!

Oh, YUM! [face_love] Such a sweet friendship moment too.

Great work on these, as always!

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all for the continued readership. @};-

~~
    Week Ten

46. Party

Jim was never one to hesitate to tell the higher-up brass when he thought they were being a stubborn bantha-brained ass.

He was gratified when his exec stood by him literally, and in a voice as calm and cool as Thrawn's at his most inscrutable, told the idiots in question that they didn't have the sense to come in out of the rain ... in so many words.

Nyota and Sulu would invariably share a glance of laughter and proud admiration.

Nyota was glad that her betrothed would never be a party to stupid, either.

47. Firework

Spock could tell you literally what was behind the majestic glory of an aurora borealis, the admixture of magnetic fields and axial tilts etc. that were involved.

But those all flew out of the airlock when he allowed himself to bask in his lady's unalloyed delight at the multicolored patterns that flowed and sparkled in curtains and waterfalls of light.

48. Gift

Jim was the most impatient patient, McCoy decided. His bedside manner was a gift of rare proportions, part encouragement, part snark.

But under it all was a genuine empathic caring.

"You're not a pessimist or a cynic at all," Christine had told him on one occasion.

"Shhh. Don't let that get around!" Leo urged.

Christine smiled. He was the best colleague she had ever been honored to work with. He possessed unflagging, tireless efforts for the health of his patients.

49. Fond

Kashore and Nyota had fond memories of the stories and vids their parents treated them to growing up.

"Happy endings are never overrated," Kashore said. "I'm so glad our parents never went in for the melodramatic angst when it came to bedtime stories and family entertainment."

Nyota agreed entirely. "The other kind just leads to stress and nightmares."

Kashore grinned. "And aren't as heart-satisfying."

50. Farewell

Nyota broached to Sarek, "when Spock left for the Academy, did you two mend fences at all, or were there undertones and things left unsaid?"

Sarek answered, "More the latter, I must admit. I am happy we did not say what would have led to regrets."

"Often, the unsaid, gentle words can lead to a sense of if-only, though, if for whatever reason the chance is lost to say them later."

"It's too easy to assume or hope the other knows what you do not say," Sarek observed, "although that is hardly a reasonable assumption."

Nyota said, "I guess Amanda served as a bridge more often than not."

"Yes," Sarek admitted readily, "She did that on more than one occasion of hello and goodbye."

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oops! I somehow fell behind a week on this when I thought I was all caught up. :oops: Let me fix that now, because week nine was probably my favorite of this collection so far. (Shh, I know I keep saying that. :p ;) [face_love])

Ha! Yep, I can totally see this. Rank just exists on the Enterprise to keep the ship running smoothly and efficiently, but Jim isn't one to tout his position or to look down on those beneath him just because he's captain - and you know he'd shoot down anyone who acted any differently on his ship.

Aw! I loved this glimpse of Nyota and her family pre-Academy. You really captured that sense of eagerness and anticipation. It was a great way to apply the prompt! :D

Audrey has Jim's number there. [face_mischief]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

BECAUSE THAT'S TOTALLY HOW IT GOES!!!

This was so resonatingly beautiful, I can't even begin to tell you how much. First of all, I loved seeing the ladies of the Enterprise all gathered together in such a warm, beautiful scene. There was definitely a want for female characters in this cast that you've filled out so lovingly, and this drabble was a perfect homage to the bonds they've grown together - and us to them through your work - over the years. [face_love]

Ha! First off, you know that the SW references always tickle me, but this one was spot on accurate. It's why Kirk and Spock make such a perfect team. ;)

Shh, I know I quoted the entire drabble, but this. THIS. If there was ever a way to sum up everything there is to love about Spock/Nyota in less than a hundred words, it's this beautiful little gem here. [face_love]

Amen to that! And she can say it louder for the people in the back. [face_mischief]

These continue to be awesome! I can't wait to read where the prompts take you next! [face_love] =D=

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love how you show the characters showing what they are in just a few words.
    Kirk and his top-brass, Spock and his love for science and even more Uhura, McCoy and his care, the sisters, and Sarek and Amanda with Spock in between

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week 11.

51 & 52 Skull & Spine.

There's a fine line between stubborn and not being able to let anything sensible through a thick skull. One of those things was a guy-thing that transcended tech devices, Kashore thought. It was the fact that a gentleman will not ask for directions if he's lost, and in the era of GPS routes, he will ignore the promptings to go left or keep straight; "This is a shortcut."

Yeah, right. It only served to get them more lost.

Thankfully, Dajan was the exception to that rule, one of the things she admired about him, a small thing, but crucial, particularly on family trips.

Dajan also liked a lady with spine/backbone. Kashore had it, Nyota had it, and so did their Mom. They expressed their opinions with clarity and decisiveness, although they could do so with a measure of tact, in addition.

53, 54, and 55--teeth, fibula, and bone.

Graeme told Nyota that he would much rather set a bone, mend a fibula (even in triage) than go into a contagious situation.

"Nothing worse than a situation requiring quarantine," he wrote to her. "It is like pulling teeth to get people groundside and even crew members to abide by the strictures set out by the medical personnel."

"Gundark butts." Nyota commented in her reply message. "Despite the size, they cannot find their backsides with a glow-rod!"

Graeme laughed when he read this rejoinder. He appreciated Nyota's unique turn of phrase.

~

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A great set with Dajan and Kashore
    Fun with Graeme and Nyota with the Gundark butts

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Week Twelve

56. Metal

57. Seismic

58. Fire

59. Impenetrable

60. Shift

-------

A shift in political and governmental structure led to a border sector suing for Federation membership. Seismic proportions, that was what this momentous decision led to, Sulu thought as he assembled a briefing.

First Officer Shannon McManus raised a vital question. "In exchange for all the perks of membership, what do they bring?"

He smiled at her directness. "One of their natural resources is a rare metal, which is very malleable but also very strong once it has been heated in a superheated firing."

"That's interesting," observed Kimiko Akihara, from the Sciences. "Malleability and strength are usually not found together. If an element is one versus the other, it leads to fragility or to rigidity."

"Yes," Sulu agreed, "But the secret is in the levels of process, as I understand it."

"So, this means it has a variety of practical applications," Yolette inferred.

"That is right. Our mission is to set up a firm treaty before the worlds can come up for contention."

In the talks that ensued, thankfully, the talking points did not lead to impenetrable impasses. Each side was willing to engage in a reasonable give and take, so that a satisfactory agreement was reached.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a great discussion between Sulu and his crew

22. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Slowly catching up! [face_blush]

Week 10 - All of these were great!

Oh, so beautiful! Both your writing and the image of them watching the aurora. [face_love]

AMEN! =D=[face_love]

Week 11 - Another great set!

Haha! This is true. Although I will admit my brother at least is pretty good at navigating and will actually ask for directions if needed. :p

Week 12 - What a creative use of the prompts! Glad they reached an agreement and completed the mission successfully!

Great job on all of these! =D=

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks as always for the delightful reviews. @};-

~

Week 13 has arrived with figurative uses of the prompts. :)

61. Forge

As the Enterprise was forged from literal elements of strength and adaptability, so her crew came to be.

Her Captain often wondered if he had the mettle to stand up to the demands of an ever-shifting crisis and was pleasantly surprised to find that he was more than up to it. As he displayed the traits of a fine leader, leading by example and inspiring loyalty, the crew became less like colleagues and more like family.

Leonard McCoy was outspoken in his snarky affection, Nyota was gently affirming, and Spock a bulwark of unflagging sound reasoning and empathy.

62. Wraith

"Sometimes it feels like working out diplomatic dilemmas is like chasing a wraith," Nyota groused in a letter home. "Why did I pick this specialty, again? More often than not, each side is fully entrenched and doesn't want to yield even on issues or suggestions that have a sound basis."

Her parents commiserated. "The satisfaction of accomplishing a workable compromise at the very least if not a firm agreement for one side versus the other is worth the endeavor, you'll find."

Nyota took this assurance with confidence grounded in her trust and love, rather than a belief that the peoples she worked with would be so proactively peaceable.

But as time went on, she did find that more often than not, she was able to appeal to those with sensibility and compassion, and the rewards started to emerge.

63. Greed

"Is it greedy to want it all, a satisfying career and a family?" Akilah had wondered aloud when Fahdili was courting her.

"I don't think so," he replied, "more a matter of balance and priorities, I would think."

This they found to be so. When their daughters were born, they were able to scale back and pick and choose the offworld projects they took on.

They instilled in Nyota a love of music and languages and in Kashore a fondness for exquisite flowers and the ocean.

64. Undoing

A true sign of a crush that is turning into something more is a happy preoccupation. Nyota basked unabashedly in Spock's voice and the lovely Vulcan lyre as he strummed it, making gorgeous melodies flow from the strings.

It was her undoing, to be sure, as her voice accompanying the sweet cascade of sound was his.

65. Precious

The little gifts from each world that they visited -- emblematic of the more fascinating and unique cultures -- became gestures between the two of them of how precious it was to have one another, to share work and pleasure. These keepsakes, sentimental mementos, were kept in a box of memories. Amanda thought of it as a "stroll down memory lane."

Nyota kept such a box of sweetly relevant items as well, and she named it a "you-box."

"How delightful!" she exclaimed when Sarek told her of Amanda's romantic penchant.

"An intriguing coincidence," he agreed.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    amidalachick and pronker like this.
  24. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Another lovely set! [face_love]

The best kind of group!

All wonderful things to love! [face_love]

And "Undoing" was beautiful! Excellent work as always! =D=

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a great set showing the friendship on the Enterprise and between Spock and Uhura