main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should we take some minutes to analyze how Disney is leading with Star Wars so far?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Solister, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Solister

Solister Jedi Knight

Dec 28, 2019

Disclaimer: All links in this post leads to a Wookieepedia article for further reference.

It's been a while I've been thinking about this post, and since I'm bored, I decided to give it some dedication.
    Going straight to the point, I'm asking myself "If Lucas' still was in held of Lucasfilm today, would it have been much better?"
    Let's take a brief look at the release chronology of the Saga:

1977-1983 - OT is released. Some minor side project is developed.
    1983-1999 - PT and some brief ST start being planned. Some expanded universe are written mostly notable the Thrawn Trilogy, considered the definitive sequels.
    1999-2005 - Technology is finally advanced and PT is on its way.
    2006-2012 - Star Wars is given as finished. Some minor details are given regarding the Clone Wars and more development on EU.
    2012-2015 - Lucasfilm is sold. EU is now Legends. Disney start replanning the franchise.
    2015-2019 - A ST is released alongside Rogue One, Solo, and also most notably, The Mandalorian.
    2019 onwards: Not much has been announced. The saga likely will stay in silence for a few years but with rumors of new trilogies' development.

So. Definitely not an organized franchise, but which made its successful way through time.
    It's little known how far George Lucas' had in mind with his own franchise, but it's spreadly known he does let some other persons, many more known other less, have a play in his own universe. One of the main reasons George sold Lucasfilm was because he didn't felt enough "patience" to dedicate to big releases and movie making. Yet, this is probably the reason why things like Clone Wars received such attention.

However, he does have some more powerful ideas in mind. The plothole of the Death Star plan was known by him, and an attempt to fix it was tried, though this was already solved (Dark Forces for PC if I'm not wrong). Still, a few other things were also in his mind as a Mandalorian focused series and a Coruscant Underworld series.

It's also known, mostly after the OT that George does have a (barely) idea for the sequels, but didn't develop it further due to his focus on the PT. Yet, it is known it might have included weird ideas like adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia into the microscopic world of midi-chlorians.

So yeah. I've been wondering most about this. I see many people really complaining about Disney quality in the movies, but I also see it's mostly a faithful continuity of what Lucas had in mind. Rogue One and Mandalorian are considered some highlights of the series on the "Disney Era". And really? Could a midi-chlorian sequel be better than the one we had?

Honestly, I see Rogue One and Mandalorian as successful attempts to Lucas' legacy. While on the plans, the Sequel trilogy was mostly an unplanned thing made just to win money. I still do prefer to believe a few EU things did actually happen rather than Disney's cannon.

But yeah. What's your view on these points? What else Lucas could have made? What Disney could have made better? Which would be some of your plans for the SW future?

2. ceruleanwing

ceruleanwing Jedi Padawan

Jun 5, 2020
    I guess this is my opinion.

Either that or maybe they should have went hundred or thousands of years into the future where they could wreak less havoc on existing characters and lore.

I'm not sure that the Sequel trilogy was what Lucas had in mind. I'm not even sure that the ST was what *Disney* had in mind.

3. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    I think the only real misstep was not having a cohesive vision for sequel trilogy. Regardless of how you feel about Abrams and Johnson individually the fact that they each had their own ideas of what it should be hurt the overall story.

ceruleanwing likes this.
  4. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    huh? Not much announced?

We have the Cassiaden series
    Season 2 of Mandalorian,
    Untitled Leslye Headland Disney+ Series
    Untitled Taika Waititi Movie
    The High Republic Movies
    and the Obi Wan series.

There's a lot of Star Wars stuff in production

5. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i am happy with the Disney Canon.. was never interested in the EU so guess it doesn't effect me