main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Saga - PT Saga - OT Saga - ST Into the Drabble-Verse | UDC IX

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, May 5, 2020.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Title; Into the Drabble-Verse
    Author: Raissa Baiard
    Timeframe: Various
    Genre: various
    Characters: Whoever shows up.
    Synopsis: Drabbles featuring characters across my multi-verse of stories.

Week I - by Mira_Jade
    Featuring Wren Ordo (OC)

1. Adamant
    “She gets this from you, you know,” Sabine Wren Ordo told her husband. She hadn’t been prepared for her six-year-old daughter, Wren, to inform her that she would not be going to art camp with her older sister this year. Further attempts to persuade her only caused Wren to declare that, in fact, she hated art and would rather eat a live gorg than go to camp before stomping from the conversation circle like a small, angry rancor.

Maximus chuckled. “Oh, she may get the lack of creativity from me, but the drama? That’s all you, ad’ika, that’s all you!”

2. Abide
    Like every good Mandalorian, I abide by Resol’nare, the six tenets of our life and honor. I think the most important one is defending your clan, and every good Mando knows that family is more than blood. The word for “comrade”—vod—is the same as the on for “sibling”. I have real vode now— Ronen, Noemi, Kaz, and Humoo— and they’re as much a part of my family as anyone in Clan Ordo. My honor demands that I protect them with my life--even if one of them is an annoying little furball who can’t keep his fuzzy mitts off my WESTARS.

3. Afield
    As children, Bellona happily spent hours at her easel, while Wren preferred to find her fun farther afield. She scrambled over the ornamental stone cairns and through the stands of frond grass on the Clan Ordo stronghold grounds. She rambled down by the stream and past the grove of veshoks.

And then she found the galek tree

Wren scraped her knees and broke her nails climbing the forest giant, but once she reached the shelter of its branches, she felt like she was home. She scavenged scraps and built a treehouse, carving her flying bird sigil on its wall-- her refuge from the world.

4. Aghast
    Wren stared at the comm in consternation after Kaz said good-bye.

The good news: he’d invited her to the Flight Academy’s Life Day gala.

The bad news: it was a formal, and she’d have to wear a dress.

A dress

Mandos didn’t wear dresses. Maybe a nice kama with one’s beskar’gam for special occasions, but a dress…? No. How did anyone even move in one? If it was long, your legs would get tangled up in all that fabric. And if it was short, wouldn’t your legs get cold?

Legs…people would be looking at her legs. Maybe even Kaz. Maybe especially Kaz...

Oh, Mand’alor…

5. Aforetime
    I don’t know why people think history is boring; it isn’t if you’re a Mando. What kind of clan doesn’t have some heroic tales to their name? Even Clan Saxon has to have done something noble at some point, right? I’m proud to say Clan Ordo has a long and honorable history, from Grandma Demetria who defeated twelve challengers to hold the regency for my dad, all the way back to my great-great-lots of-greats-grandfather, Canderous Ordo— Mand’alor the Preserver, who reunited the clans as honorable warriors instead of two-credit mercs.

Someday, my name will be written with theirs; my ancestors’ honor lives in me.

AzureAngel2, brodiew, Kahara and 2 others like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing]
    1. Adamant [face_laugh] loved this parental banter. LOL Max is probably the only one who can tell Sabine she's a drama queen and survive! [face_mischief]
    2. Abide -- wonderful bit of introspection.
    3. Afield -- I can so see her doing this romping through the forest and building a tree house.

4. Aghast -- [face_laugh] -- oh you can sense the mortification!
    5. Aforetime -- the pride in the heritage and culture shines here.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Great first set! Love the humor in Adamant and Aghast, and the family pride in Aforetime.

My favorite was Afield though - loved the nature setting and seeing Wren find refuge in the tree. [face_love]

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Although I have not followed the story of these characters all along the way when I do drop in I always have a good time. It is lovely to meet Wren Ordo and to know that she has such a good group of friends. Abide was my favorite because it reminded me of my OC and the group of friends I created for him. Excellent work.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First of all, the title for your collection is AWESOME!!! I got such a kick out of that. [face_laugh]

Then, these were fantastic to start! I particularly enjoyed . . .

Ha! I loved Sabine dealing with all of the joys of parenting as her daughters develop their personalities. WREN! Oh she's such a hoot!

Then, Maximus' teasing at the end was priceless. He's not all wrong. [face_mischief]

[face_laugh]! I love how the tone shifted here, going from a beautiful exploration of Mando loyalty and honor to DON'T TOUCH MY WESTARS OR I WILL END YOU! [face_rofl]

Another great tonal shift! I can't blame Wren for her panicking here. HOW WILL SHE FIGHT IN A DRESS?? But she will look lovely, and if Kaz just so happens to think so too . . . [face_mischief] [face_love]

I fully believe that of Wren. She will - and is! - doing her name and history proud. [face_love]

Lovely job with these! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. =D=

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    [face_laugh] What a perfect image, I can just see her. And yeah, she gets some of that from you, Sabine! :sabine: You know it's true...

Really liked the one with the tree sanctuary, just wonderful and peaceful. @};- Everyone needs somewhere to just be, and Wren seems like she especially needs that with her struggles to find her own way.

Oh dear, legs. :p Yeah, that wouldn't really be a thing most of the time with Mandalorians. Wren's worries about going out of her comfort zone in a dress of all things are really endearing. But it'll be worth it!

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    HOORAY! A WREN SET! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I love that you chose to lead with this relatively new and wholly delightful addition to your ocedarium. She’s such a vibrant character full of zest for life, strong convictions, unquenchable energy, loyalty to friends and aliit, and true pride in her Mando heritage—a true scion of Sabine, Max, and Mand’alor the Preserver. And all those things come through with flying colors in these five drabbles! So much to love: the shout-out to Ro & Co. (and even to that pesky little Squib who keeps trying to haggle for her blasters), the SUPREME MORTIFICATION of the concept of DRESS and VISIBLE LEGS (though again, as I said in the beta, I don’t think that is an entirely unpositive final “Oh Mand’alor...” ;) ), and her dad’s very astute observation as to the source of some her drama-llama tendencies! (Because Sabine had her moments, too—we all know it! :p ) It’s neat that you’ve given us a look at her interest in clan history, too—I could see that being a serious long-term interest of hers, a way that she too can increase the glories of Clan Ordo (and Wren, too!) while also not always having to be in the shadow of her artistic big sister. (Something I know is a concern of hers from your other stories!) Great start to your series, always a delight to see this wonderful character in action, and I look forward to seeing where your Drabble-Verse will take us! =D= <3

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I want to thank everyone for their kind responses to my first set of drabbles. I promise to do real responses very soon, but Darth Real Life is kicking me pretty hard at the moment and I wanted to get these posted so that they didn’t count towards the set I pledged for WIP month. Thanks for understanding and MTFBWY

Week 2, featuring OC Doran Blayne

6. Raid

Doran sipped his Corellian whiskey and watched Prefect Renau’s men raid the Cafe Alderaan.

It was a game, of course. Renau was too lazy to do real work, but raiding the local cantinas looked good on the Garrison’s quarterly reports. Once a month, coincidentally just after the new liquor shipments arrived, the Imps would show up, poke a round a little and pilfer a bit of his stock.

And Doran would pretend not to notice, because if they were raiding the liquor cabinet, it meant they weren’t rummaging through his wardrobe, where the empty shell of a lightsaber was hidden behind a row of brown-gray tunics.

7. Pirate
    “Another Jedi action holo? These were all blacklisted by the Imperial Bureau of Culture! How do you keep getting them?”

“Oh, I know a being…”

Why doesn’t it surprise me that you hang out with the kind of beings who pirate holos, Doran Blayne?”

“He prefers the term ‘non-traditional distribution chain’, but in this case, I’d have to say that ‘pirate’ is a pretty accurate description. Bootlegging holos is one of Hondo’s least illegal business ventures.”

“Sounds charming.”

“Ha! He is, actually. I’ll have to introduce you to him one of these days—in an unofficial capacity, of course, dear Prefect.”

8. Smuggle
    “Been back to Corellia lately?” Doran slid the shot of Whyren’s across the bar.

A scruffy-looking young man caught it. “How’d you….?”

“After a while in this business, you can tell.” The whiskey, the accent, the attitude… It was plain as looking in a mirror.

The young man snorted and shrugged. “Nah, haven’t been there in years.”

“Because you’re wanted for smuggling.” Mostly spice, maybe blasters, too—this kid didn’t have the edge of a hardened criminal yet.

He scowled as the Wookiee next to him wurfed in laughter. “Yeah, well, what’re you wanted for?”

“Being alive when the Empire wants me dead.” Doran raised his own whiskey with a grin. “Here’s to trouble-making Corellians everywhere.”

9. Maraud
    The kitchen had been pillaged in Raissa’s absence. There was nothing left of the batch of freshly baked Wookiee cookies but a few sad crumbs.

It did not tax either Raissa’s investigative skills as Prefect nor her Force powers as a Jedi to discover who had plundered the sweet treasure. She didn’t even need to follow the trail of crumbs to know that it would lead to a sheepish, overstuffed pygmy roba and his partner in crime, her equally overstuffed but wholly unrepentant husband.

He grinned at her. “Just remember what Master Urr said—the Galaxy will continue in peace if certain things are a bit overlooked.”

10. Steal
    The stolen holocron was the size of a thermal detonator, and with similar destructive power.

If the Imperials caught Doran with it, it wouldn’t matter that he was only keeping it safe for the Sullustan thief, Pter Lorr. All the years he’d spent keeping the Cafe just this side of legal, never giving the Imps reason to look twice at him, would have been for nothing. Once they started digging, they’d discover Doran Blayne didn’t really exist

Then they’d find out why the worthless hunk of plasti made his fingers itch to touch it.

Why he was risking his neck for it was beyond him.

———-
    The story of Pter Lorr and the stolen holocron can be found in this chapter of “Everyone Comes to Doran’s Place”

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Pirate, a "non-traditional distribution chain" [face_laugh] A very creative definition of pirate [face_mischief]

Smuggle, [face_dancing] Wonderful

“After a while in this business, you can tell.” The whiskey, the accent, the attitude… It was plain as looking in a mirror.

I'll bet! [face_love]

Here's to troublemaking Corellians, indeed! :*

Maraud [face_tee_hee] Frugly and Doran are partners in pilfering cookies.

AzureAngel2, Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Doran buys pirated DVDs from Hondo Ohnaka!

And has crossed paths with Han & Chewie!

11. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Okay, catch up time....

Yep, Sabine is definitely seeing a little bit of herself reflected in her daughter, and Max is probably one of the few people who can call her on it! These drabbles were a fun way to explore all the different aspects of Wren's personality. She's got the snarky, drama queen side, but she's also got that deep sense of honor and pride in her clan and heritage, and a love of nature and need her own space.
    Thank you! I enjoy writing Wren's dramatic side--she can be so over the top!--but she's developed this appreciation for the natural world that I didn't initially plan for her. It's something I borrowed from my own experience (I had a tree house that was very much my refuge), but I think it makes sense for Wren, too, because she's someone who lives in the moment and appreciates the world around her.
    Thanks! Glad that you enjoyed meeting Wren! She's devoted to her vode--some more than others ;)--and will do whatever it takes for them.
    Glad you like the title! :D It seemed apt for all my AUs and the Infinity of Ezras contained in them! And I'm so glad you're enjoying Wren.She's becoming one of my favorite OCs. As much as I love her, I can kind of relate to Sabine here--it's disconcerting when your child turns out not to be a mini-me after all and starts having a mind of their own :p (But Max has a definite point; sorry, Sabine)

Wren does have a serious side underneath all the drama-gualama-ness. She takes the Mandalorian ethos quite seriously, and like a good Mando, her weapons are more to her than just guns, and Humoo's repeated attempts to buy her prized blasters for bits of junk brings out both her affronted honor and and her inner drama-gualama! PAWS OFF, YOU LITTLE FUZZBALL!

Yes, because she will totally need to fight at the Life Day Gala! :p @Findswoman pointed out that the Klimt-style portrait of Ursa Wren depicts her wearing a dress and holding her helmet, so Mando in a dress isn't quite the contradiction it seems to be. And of course Kaz will think she's beautiful whatever she wears [face_love]

I fully believe that of Wren. She will - and is! - doing her name and history proud. [face_love]

Lovely job with these! I can't wait to see what you come up with next. =D=[/QUOTE]Thank you!
    Yeah, she gets a lot of it from her mother (though Max isn't without his own stubborn streak ;P) .

I really like the bolded part--what a perfect way to put it. Wren's tree house is the place where she can just be Wren, not Bellona's sister or Sabine's daughter. She definitely needs that kind of space where she doesn't have to meet anyone's (real or imagined) expectations.

For Wren, going without her armor—her “iron skin”—would leave her feeling exposed. And to have part of her own skin exposed as well—:eek: It will be a gesture of vulnerability for her to wear the unfamiliar outfit for Kaz’s sake—but, as you say, worth it in the end.

Thank you! I’ve become quite fond of Wren (and I have to thank you for being such a strong supporter of her and the Wraz stories [face_love]). Wren loves her vode, even Humoo—though if he doesn’t stop trying to trade her bottle caps for her blasters, she isn’t responsible for the consequences! ;) And there are a whole lot of issues wrapped up in the idea of wearing a dress—from the serious consideration of being exposed in more than one way without her beskar’gam to the more ordinary how will I look and what will Kaz think, so it is a VERY BIG DEAL for her. It brings out her drama gualama, which has definitely been inherited from her artistic and dramatic mother. But above all the drama, Wren is serious about upholding the honor of Clan Ordo, which she does with bravery and great determination.
    Hondo is very good at coming up with creative ways to reframe what he does! I thought he and Doran would get along since they have a similar sense of humor, especially where it concerns messing with those in authority:D

I’ve wanted to bring Han to the Cafe Alderaan for a long time. Doran’s character owes a lot to Han and the Corellian independence and “bork all authority” attitude he embodies. (Though Doran’s been around long enough and been through enough that he’s somewhat outgrown it).

Always! Cookie theft is serious business—and hard work!
    I know the “small Galaxy” trope where every character seems to bump into every other character in the GFFA gets overused, but I really couldn’t resist bringing these guys together in some small way. I figure Han and Chewie made a pit stop on Merkesh on their way to the Corporate Sector and Hondo had *ahem* business all over the Galaxy, so why not?;)

12. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Week 3, featuring the new Jedi Academy on Lothal from m Marzra-verse AU

11. Professor

As he stood in front of his class, Kanan could sense their mingled excitement and apprehension.

He wondered if they could sense his, too.

He remembered how uncertain he’d felt when he’d started training Ezra.He’d never finished his own training and felt woefully unprepared to take a padawan, particularly one as headstrong and independent as Ezra. Somehow, unready master and unruly student had learned to work together. Kanan had learned as much from the process as Ezra had

Trust yourself.

Trust your padawan.

Trust the Force

Little had he known the Force had been teaching him how to build a new order

12. School

The last time Ezra had been to school, he’d been one of fifteen bright-eyed little first-years sitting at tiny desks reciting their aurek-besh-creshes to the teacher’s beaming approval.

After his parents had been arrested, he’d learned a lot of hard lessons on the streets of Capital City. He’d learned to hide, learned to steal, learned not to trust anyone. And then he’d found the Spectres and he’d learned the most important things—to do what was right, to believe in himself, to love his new family.

Now, twenty-five years after he’d sat at that small desk, Ezra was teaching fifteen bright-eyed younglings those crucial lessons.

13. Gifted

“I can’t be the Temple’s Battlemaster,” Raissa protested. “I haven’t had nearly the training…”

“You’ve already surpassed your teacher,” Doran assured her. “Master Drallig deemed me only ‘technically proficient’, but he'd be very pleased with you, I think.”

He was her husband; he had to say that. Surely Kanan would see sense, though.

“He’s right. You’re the equal of any Jedi I ever met, and of all of us, you’re best suited to handle security and lightsaber instruction. The Force has given you a gift, Raissa. Use it.”

Though she could still hardly believe it of herself, she inclined her head. “Then I’d be honored.”

14. Karma

The Force, Doran reflected, had a terrible sense of humor.

Why else would it have put him in the position of joint headmaster of the new Jedi Academy? Him--who had smuggled a pair of gorgs into the Fountain of Wisdom, who’d spent years trying to break into the Archives’ restricted area just because they were restricted, who’d smarted off to Master Windu at his Jedi trials.

Now he was staring across the desk at the unfortunate padawans who’d released a crate of Loth-rats from Ezra’s animal empathy class in the refectory

He wanted to tell them, “Keep this up and you’ll end up just like me.”

15. Gambit

“That little conniver!” Mara muttered into her caf as she watched her younger sister, Annina play dejarik with Luke Skywalker. With her golden curls and innocent smile, Annina looked like a harmless pittin, but she excelled at games of strategy and took great satisfaction in demolishing her elders in competition. And she’d just just passed up an opportunity to use the kintan strider gambit, a move which would have effectively won her the game.

But from the flush on Annina’s cheeks, the way she leaned across the table and the way she giggled at everything Luke said, dejarik wasn’t the only game she was playing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Professor

As he stood in front of his class, Kanan could sense their mingled excitement and apprehension.

He wondered if they could sense his, too.

=D=

I can just bet it's mutual--those feelings of excitement and apprehension, and I love the reflection that follows, summed up sweetly by: unready master/unruly student LOL

Gifted

Yay for Raissa's talent being recognized and put to a practical use.

[face_laugh] Mischievous Doran -- he will have a hard time enforcing rules of order and/or discipline when he secretly is chortling at the Padawan pranks. [face_shhh]

Gambit

SQUEE on Annina who is understandably crushing on Luke, who probably doesn't mind or is he not ready to see Annina in that way yet?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  14. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Literally had me laughing out loud! [face_rofl] And the reveal at the end just makes it even better. All your old Jedi mentors' wishes came back to you Doran, and now you've got over a dozen just like you to contend with! Also liked that we got to see Annina and Luke -- I'd noticed notes about them in Raissa and Doran's dialogue fic and wondered just when and how those two got together! :)

15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Of course the dodgiest behaved at school inevitably become teachers~! [face_laugh] Loved the play of emotions as people contemplated what was about to happen. Lovely.

16. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    All these drabbles make your OCs and AU time lines feeling like real canon.

Wren is cool by the way!

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What a perfect choice for this group of drabble prompts! And while I know you have had this new academy and new order in mind for some time now, I want to say this is the first in-depth look I've gotten of it in story form, and that's so cool! I love how all of these characters you love are part of it, from your wonderful original OTP Doran and Raissa to their kids to Kanan and Ezra (and hey, Cin Drallig, that's a Legends name, isn't it? ;) ) I love how multigenerational it is, both in the literal way and the found-family way. I love the "full circle" feeling that pervades so many of the drabbles: Kanan thinking of his own first student as he faces his first class, Ezra being on the "other side of the desk" teaching those younglings to write their first "Ther is no emoshon ther is peas," Raissa's swordsmanship talents leading her to a post of special distinction in the academy, and of course mischievous Doran becoming an authority figure giving a Standpauke to pranking padawans! (The Force truly has one heck of a sense of humor! :p ) And how can I not echo @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha 's squee about the two very different simultaneous games Annina is playing with Luke—a winning gambit indeed! :D [face_love] What a wonderful new look on one of my favorite AUs ever—this is how it should be! And of course I can't wait to see where you'll take these amazing prompts next. =D=

18. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh how wonderful! [face_love] I only know the broad strokes of your AU, but that doesn't matter in the slightest. There's so much warmth and vivacity and real emotion that it's easy to dive right in and enjoy all of these! Which is always the trick! :D

In the first four I really enjoyed the feeling of I'm not cut out for this all the characters experienced as they got ready to embark on their new roles in the resurrected Jedi Order. I agree with @Findswoman! She said it perfectly, but I too appreciate how full circle each individual experience was. They've come so far, and they're now poised to go even further still! [face_love]

Ha! All of the individual introspection was great, but this one took the cake! [face_laugh] [face_love]

What game is she playing, indeed? [face_mischief] [face_whistling] This was such a fun, sweet drabble to end the set on! [face_love]

Thanks for sharing these gems with us! I cant wait to see what you do next with the prompts! [face_dancing] =D=

19. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    As is so often the case, Kanan learned as much being a teacher as Ezra did as his student. Now he’s ready to take what he’s learned and use it with anew generation of Jedi.

Oh yeah, you know he’s trying not to laugh while he’s trying to be all headmaster-ish with them.
    I think she’s still a bit young for Luke to see in that light; she probably about 14-16 here. Annina, however is playing for the long term. She’s had her heart set on Luke since she met him when she was 10!
    Thanks! Yes, I’m sure the Force ghosts of Masters Yoda, Windu and Nu are looking on from the aether in justified amusement. I have a couple chapters of a Luke and Annina story lurking in my documents, but it needs quite a bit of work and I keep finding new projects to distract myself—like drabbles:D
    Of course! Like another troublemaking Corellian, Doran has become respectable :D Thank you! None of them are fully trained Jedi, and they’re all a little apprehensive about how they’re going to make this new Jedi order work. But they bring their own unique talents and outlook to it.
    Thank you so much! SW Canon (or canons, depending on how you look at it) is so rich and detailed that I take that as a high compliment indeed! And I’m glad you enjoy Wren; she such a fun character that she’s become one of my favorites
    Thanks! With “professor” and “school” among the prompts, I just had to go with the Academy. We’ve seen bits of it through Ronen’s journal, but these drabbles focus more on its founding and early days. And that’s part of the fun of this massive, multi-generational AU—I get to bring all these wonderful characters together! (I think Cin Drallig is actually Canon, since he appeared briefly in RotS). I didn’t mean for it to be an overarching theme when I started writing, but it seemed natural that at this momentous turn of events that they’d be reflecting on the experiences that led them here and thinking about their own education (and lack thereof). So glad that you enjoyed this glimpse of the Academy and thank you for being on the biggest supporters of my little(!) AU.
    Thank you so much! I always worry that, having an AU that’s grown so big, readers will be put off by it. SomI am very glad to hear that the drabbles worked for you without knowing all the ins and outs of it.

It’s a huge undertaking for a group of individuals who never expected to be in this position, but the Force has brought them here for a reason.

This was probably my favorite of the bunch, too. I just imagine Doran’s consternation, not at the padawans, but because he has to discipline them even though thinks it’s a pretty good prank. ;)

What game is she playing, indeed? [face_mischief] [face_whistling] This was such a fun, sweet drabble to end the set on! [face_love][/quote] Hmm....what indeed?;) Annina’s been crushing on Luke for a long time, and she’s not let a little thing like age difference stand in her way.

Thank you so much! I hope you’ll enjoy this next set ,too.

20. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks to @Findswoman for beta-reading @};-

Week 4: Going back to the Canon universe now, for a set that features Ezra returning to Lothal after Sabine brings him back from...wherever he’s been.

16. Misty

Capital City had been reborn.

From his vantage point on the communications tower he’d once called home, Ezra could see that Lothal still bore the scars the Empire had inflicted on it. But the strip mines’ gashes were slowly healing and factories no longer belched foul smoke across the prairie.

And where once the hulking dome of Imperial headquarters had dominated the skyline, now the shining silver-white spires of the new city rose like a phoenix from the early morning mist, a promise of better things to come.

It was the city Ezra had seen in his vision so many years ago.

17. Lonely

It felt like several lifetimes ago that Ezra had looked out at the city, his heart aching over the news of his parents’ deaths. He’d never felt so alone in his life, not even during his years on the streets. He’d still hoped then that they’d return someday. Now they were truly gone, and he despaired.

But as he’d stared across the prairie, Ezra felt their presence with him and heard their voices, exhorting him not to give up. And he’d seen the city as it could be…

...the city as it was now.

And Ezra was no longer alone.

18. Fiery

Sabine was next to him, her hand atop his where it rested on the railing. The sunrise painted her skin golden and woke burgundy highlights in her deep purple hair. She’d gained a new stillness in the years they’d been apart, but underneath the same fiery spirit shone through, like a flame in the Force.

Ezra leaned towards her. It still amazed him that she’d returned to Lothal after the war to watch over it for his sake, and astonished him how much she’d gone through to find him and bring him home.

The most amazing thing of all was that they were here together.

19. Golden

Below the tower, a family of Loth-cats frolicked in the golden waves of prairie grass, the kittens chasing their own tails while their parents stalked Loth-rats. In the distance a pair Loth-wolves coursed across the prairie.

And somewhere far above, the Ghost was en route from Lira San. Hera had received Sabine’s message, retrieved Zeb and was bringing him and—incredibly—her and Kanan’s son, Jacen, to Lothal to reunite with their long lost Spectre Six. Ezra could hardly wait to have his family together again at last.

Sabine moved closer to him, leaning her head against his shoulder. “What are you thinking?”

20. Undying

Ezra remembered everyone he’d lost, from old Jho and Mr. Sumar who’d resisted in small ways but still paid with their lives, to his parents, who’d never stopped believing in freedom even when they were imprisoned, and Kanan, who’d made the ultimate sacrifice to save his family.

He could feel them here with him now, and he could sense their love and pride. They would always be with him. They’d given all they had for Lothal, and their spirits were part of it now, undying in the Force.

He pulled Sabine into his arms. “I think it’s good to be home.”

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SWEET and touching! You write Ezra with unfailing poignancy. =D= You feel the tangle of happiness to be home, no longer being so alone, missing all who were lost, but still relishing the now. :) @};-

Findswoman , Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  22. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    These were all so good! Your writing has such a warm, welcoming feel.

Week 2: I loved "Smuggle", because those trouble-making Corellians! :D

[face_laugh][face_laugh] So funny, but sweet at the same time!

Week 3: These were all great, and I loved how they are all kind of finding their way in their new roles.

Awww! Those really are the most important lessons, in any universe. [face_love]

Week 4: This set was really beautiful! Love the peaceful feel and Ezra's thoughts about the people he's lost still being with him.

This paints such a lovely picture. Beautiful! [face_love]

23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, what a beautiful and touching set! [face_love] The scene you paint, of Ezra gazing out over the misty steppes, hand in hand with his beloved Sabine, to the gleaming new Capital City that rose, phoenix-like, from the ashes of the old one—besides being generally gorgeous on its own, it’s such a perfect match for this group of prompts! Lothal and Capital City themselves are misty, golden, and undying, transfigured in new light—and so are the friendship and family bonds that are about to be renewed among the once-scattered Spectres. Even in the memories of all the devastating losses along the way—his parents, Mr. Sumar, Old Jho, and Kanan—there’s something golden and undying, an eternal light that will always be with Ezra. And all of it is the “home” Ezra no doubt was thinking of long ago when he said “I can’t wait to come home.” Headcanon totally accepted with this beautiful set—wonderful work once again! =D= =D= =D=

Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  24. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thank you so much! I love writing Ezra; he’s got such depth as a character and he grows so much during Rebels, from self-interested street rat to a selfless Jedi. There are so many rumors about what’s next for the Rebels, but I hope Ezra can get a homecoming like this—to see the changes he put in motion for Lothal fulfilled even as he remembers everyone who’s sacrificed to make them a reality.
    Aww, thank you! :) Writing drabbles is a bit like a family reunion; all the characters I love will show up at some point!

Troublemaking making Corellians are the best kind! :D And even once they’ve got their troublemaking days mostly behind them, they’re still making trouble for their long-suffering wives (just ask Leia!) Fortunately, they have that Corellian charm to get them out of tight spaces.

They really are; now that the war has been won, they’re turning towards the new challenge of making their hopes a reality. It’s a big undertaking, and I think it would be especially challenging for Ezra, who’s had very little formal education, to find himself as a teacher. But he’s got a lot to teach these younglings about life.

I think Ezra has a real sense of contentment. He’s home at last, and he can remember the ones he’s lost knowing that no one is ever really gone and that their sacrifices made a difference.
    Thank you! I knew I wanted to do something with Ezra returning to Lothal, and seeing his vision realized for this set. As you said, the prompts were just perfect for the scene I wanted to set up. Rebels begins with Ezra looking out from his tower and ends with Sabine looking out, so it seemed appropriate that the next chapter in their lives should open with both of them looking out from the tower. They’ve both gone through so much by this point, but when they look out, they can see how everything they’ve hoped and worked for is coming true in the reborn Capital City. Something new is unfolding for the whole Spectre family, and yes, I wholeheartedly agree that this is the home Ezra has been longing for.

25. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Week 5: More Canon-ish Ezra. This time I was thinking about what he might have encountered during his years in the Unknown Regions.

Temple
    The temple was a squat stone structure hidden deep in the jungles of the sparsely populated world. Ezra’s guide, one of the planet’s mammavian natives, wouldn’t come within ten meters of it, and Ezra couldn’t honestly blame him. There was a peculiar aura emanating from it, like nothing he’d sensed before. It had neither the awe-inspiring natural grandeur of the Temple on Lothal nor the claustrophobic, creeping dread of the subterranean Sith temple on Malachor. Rather, it had a sense of uneasy duality, of Light and Dark holding each other in check, teetering on a fulcrum no bigger than a blade’s point.

Sanctuary
    The temple’s dome was cracked where the jungle had overtaken it, but the runes carved on its arched entryway were still clear. They reminded Ezra of inscriptions that he’d seen in Lothal’s Jedi Temple. He idly wished he’d had the chance to study them as he entered the temple over his guide’s wailed prophecies of doom.

The dim interior was speckled by sunlight filtering through the dome. Ezra spotted designs on the floor—a sun and moon, a fish and a serpent—done in contrasting shades of dark and light. The sense of balance was stronger here.

Except from the pyramid that loomed in the middle of the sanctuary.

Shrine
    The black stone pyramid was nothing compared to the massive edifice at Malachor, but it had the same feeling of darkness and dread. A sullen red light shone through its doorway, and against his better judgment, Ezra found himself drawn to it, stepping across the threshold to the shrine inside.

In the center, on a narrow plinth, was an obelisk of polished obsidian banded with gold that seethed with long-suppressed hatred. Ezra didn’t know what kind of artifact it was, but he knew enough to leave it alone. He slowly backed away.

There was nothing here that could help him.

Monastery
    His guide had fled by the time Ezra emerged from the temple, leaving him to make his own way back to the hermitage at the jungle’s edge where the monks were greatly surprised to see him. The Abbott questioned him about what he’d seen and felt within the temple, and explained that many thousands of years before, a group of Jedi had built a temple dedicated to the Force to contain and neutralize the evil in the pyramidal shrine. The monks revered and maintained the temple as best they could, but only the strongest of them could venture within without succumbing to madness.

Pilgrimage
    The monks fed Ezra and gave him a bed for the night, offering to help him any way they could, but they couldn’t provide the things he really needed. The shuttle he’d stolen from the Chimaera had been damaged in pursuit and subsequent crash landing. Worse, the hilt of his lightsaber had cracked in the landing. It was shorting badly; Ezra was afraid the kyber crystal might be broken.

So he accepted their offer to take him to the nearest spaceport, and set off in a rickety wagon pulled by a shaggy, ill-tempered quadruped.

He had a long way to go on his journey home.

Notes: this temple is based on the Temple of the Force on Ashas-Ree, which Kaz and his friends encounter in the Resistance episode “Relic Raiders

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020