main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Rogue One was so good, why drop Anthology films because of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Durge27, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Durge27

Durge27 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 15, 2020
    I don't work in the film industry so I do not know how such decisions are usually approached. My question may be naive, even, to people who understand the business, but we regular fans may still want to understand the dynamics.

Solo failed financially, yes. Terrible. However, RO was a definite success. Why drop the bomb on anthologies altogether? Why the fear and dread that "RO" style success won't be repeated?

What do you guys think?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Moved. Good luck in your new home, thread.

3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't think Disney is ready to handle trilogies. I think it should stick to stand alone films and television shows. As for the failure of "Solo", I blame the bad publicity and scheduling of the movie.

4. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    The scheduling for Solo was a disaster as it was up against Avengers Infinity Wars and Deadpool 2. The bad publicity on the production issues did hinder it as did the severe lack of promotion for the film. Also being released a few month after TLJ didn't help it's cause, a lot of fans were unhappy with TLJ and that possibly made them stay away.

Sticking with a December release date would have been ideal.

5. Durge27

May 15, 2020
    I must have misconstrued my question a bit...I'm not so much questioning the reason for Solo's bad performance (I liked Solo but that's beside the point)....I'm curious why they dropped single-movie Anthologies to begin with after Solo did not perform well.

Why not try to make more successful films like Rogue One? One financial failure and that's it? Lid closed despite the previous movie's great success?

6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Solo was very expensive with the reshoots so Disney prob. just decided to stick to TV for the time being. They will probably reevaluate in a year or two. My guess is they were taken aback that not everything SW will make money and thought perhaps they were putting out too much too soon.

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I really wouldn't say that they have dropped the anthologies though. We don't really know what is coming up next, whether it will be a one-off or the start of a larger series.

At this point there is a general break in releasing movies, lasting at least three years, possibly amplified further by the corona-virus delaying work in Hollywood in general.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    What happened is Disney Plus - which is why the Anthology film that did great is getting its own spinoff TV show. I think the assumption in the OP is problematic. There is no evidence suggesting that the Anthology film series was cancelled because of Solo’s weak BO. The films were all converted into TV shows, for the time being, and for all we know, more standalone films are on the way from Waititi, Headland, Feige, etc.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    TV is cheaper and less of a risk.

cwustudent, Viper78, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  10. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    There were definitely reports going around claiming that the Anthology series was being put on hold after Solo bombed, basically blaming "Star Wars fatigue" as the reason for it's poor box office. I didn't really click on them so I can't vouch for the validity of those claims, but it was definitely the narrative that was out there. Post-Solo was the first time Disney ever publicly deviated from the "one Star Wars movie a year, every year" proclamation they made when they bought the franchise, but I don't think they actually had a plan in place for the post ST movies when they said that, I think they just figured they'd be able to come up with ideas for more movies by then. I don't think it's crazy to imagine that when Solo bombed they felt like they needed to be a lot more discerning about the ideas they approved for Anthology movies.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That’s what I think, too.

christophero30 likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, but that’s not the same as “the Anthology films were cancelled because of Solo.” No. Solo’s difficulties simply led Lucasfilm to decide to convert a lot of those plans into TV, and as you said, be more discerning about standalone films. Both those things seem to be happening, given the Cassian, Mando and Obi-wan oriented shows (the latter two originally conceived of as anthology films). The idea behind anthology stories seems alive and well, and Rogue One’s success may have a lot to do with that. And then the Disney+ platform comes along and offers an irresistible incentive for anthology films as TV shows - a much less financially risky option, and one that offers creators a lot more freedom.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Because Solo was super expensive. Due to the re-shoots, the budget ballooned to $275 million. Compare that to Rogue One's $200 million (which also ballooned due to more minor re-shoots than Solo).
    Also note that Rogue One was a critical and commercial success, but not an earth-shattering hit like Star Wars: The Force Awakens. No need to flood theaters with an anthology every year or so when you can spend less money on TV series and potentially TV movies.

14. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Yup they nearly shot 2 movies of Solo. One with the fired guys and one with Ron Howard. TV seems the way to go. Maybe an anthology film every 3 years. You are better off with building anticipation than people being sick of SW. The Mandalorian is SW done right imo.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Rogue One and the Mandalorian are clearly the best of Star Wars under Lucasfilm. I think Kennedy agrees with that. Which is why to me it looks like the examples set by those products are informing so much of their current and future plans. Rogue One spinoff TV show, a Mando show with the exact same aesthetic as Rogue One (including the same DPs and lead artists), an Obi-wan show led by a Mando Director, a new film led by a Mando Director (Waititi), etc. The anthology mindset is a lot more deeply ingrained in Lucasfilm than is popularly understood. I think that has to do with Kennedy’s attraction to these stories that exist on the edges of the more purely pop mythic saga stories. This syncretic style is both still deeply and spiritually Star Wars, while also meeting modern expectations of realism. I fully expect almost all future Star Wars to look and feel a lot like Rogue One and Mando. Even if the stories are wildly different.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Especially in a post-covid world. When was the last time anybody went to a cinema?

17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    even if theaters reopen will the seats be 6 feet apart?

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    And how long will they be open before the next pandemic closes them down again? It's possible we've seen the end of the golden age of cinema.

DarthKreVass and Ananta Chetan like this.
  19. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Anthology Movies are a great concept however I think Trilogy movies for Star Wars works best in the movies for now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Riots and protests are okay, cinema gatherings are not.

SlashMan and Binary_Sunset like this.
  21. Durge27

May 15, 2020
    True. Some mythic stories would be very fun to explore, however. For example: Palpaltine's origins?

sithboy and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm wondering if they're using the TV shows as testing grounds for anthology movies. One of the reported anthology movies was to be Boba Fett. Now we reportedly have Boba Fett appearing in The Mandalorian. This could be a case of waiting to see the reception certain characters receive in the shows to gauge whether it makes sense to move forward with an anthology movie for the character. Solo falling flat at the box office, as well as receiving mixed reviews, could have been the impetus to slowing down the spin-offs. To the point of not wanting to flood the market with movies that may not be financially beneficial.

23. Viper78

Viper78 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    I'd still like to see Anthology films as well as TV shows.

There have been many successful TV series that came off the back of a film, SOLO would be perfect for this. This way seems to work far better than creating a film from a TV series.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I think SW at the movies needs a break. We've gotten 5 movies in under 5 years. Wouldn't want the GA to be sick of SW; that is bad for BO. Rebuild the brand with quality TV as they are now doing.

25. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I have no interest in Boba Fett making a reappearance in the franchise. This clearly smacks of the nostalgia factor to me.

sithboy likes this.