main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: Squadrons

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jun 12, 2020.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Normally I wait for official announcements for this sort of thing, but there's some pretty key art and also... starfighters, c'mon. I'm getting X-wing vs TIE Fighter vibes, suggesting multiplayer is the main focus? Hope that it does have an actual single player mode (preferably w/story).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I hope you can play as an Imperial pilot who doesn't immediately defect to the Rebellion. And ideally this is closer to the X-Wing/TIE Fighter PC games than the Rogue Squadron console games. Basically I just want TIE Fighter 2020.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going to guess -- especially given that it leaked on Xbox -- that it'll be closer to the console games in style. Can't really do old PC flight sim style with a controller.

4. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Well, they made it official:

And while I will admit to being interested (heck, maybe even excited) for even a console-based flight game along the lines of Rogue Squadron, I have one major reservation. Namely how (not if) is EA going to screw this up.

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Oh, that part is easy. It'll probably be released half-finished and focus almost entirely on multiplayer to the disservice of the single player campaign.

But other than that, cool!

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm not getting my hopes up that this will be particularly sim-esque but I did notice that it's coming out for PC as well.

Outsourced and sidv88 like this.
  7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I'd say there's a very good chance that there'll be some kind of novel/comic tie-in, so good news for Rogues/Wraiths fans.

Corellia's Dream and Outsourced like this.
  8. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I hope that's true as I don't have an XBox and wasn't planning on getting the Series X either (which Xbox is this game for?)

I assume from the poster that we'll have dual campaigns of Rebels and Empire? Despite my dislike of the sequels, I actually wouldn't mind some missions in that timeframe just so I can be a First Order pilot shooting down Poe Dameron or something.

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Plz dont be a mobile RPG

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    According to this article, "It features a single-player campaign, but the main focus for Squadrons is on the multiplayer." Entirely unsurprising.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Updated thread title accordingly.

Well, sounds like your guess was exactly right....

Oh well. Will still get it, and still miss the days we got the Rogue games and the X-wing/TIE games...

Oh thank Sheev.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I wonder if they can afford a publicity event at the game launch where Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver play against each other for the definitive Kylo vs Poe starfighter contest. Or Daisy or John even.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I'd imagine Adam Driver wouldn't do that for love nor money. He'd probably pay not to do it. I was surprised when they got Harrison to sit down and play Uncharted, but I'd also imagine he had no idea where he was or what those funny shapes on the screen were, either.

BigAl6ft6 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It was actually pretty funny that Jimmy Kimmel was able to get Pierce Brosnan to play Goldeneye with him on his show.

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Lucasarts basically jumps on the bandwagon in terms of whatever genre is popular, right? Back in that one moment in time, it was flight sims. Now...not so much.

16. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Not sure what to make of this news yet. So far, my impression is that this upcoming title is basically a second shot at Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, except most likely using recycled BFII assets in order to get a SW game out ASAP. I'll need to see more in order to be actually hyped about this game, and this is coming from somebody who loved the X-Wing and Rogue Squadron games back in the day.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Interested to see what this is like. I’m expecting something like Battlefront - minor story and all about the multiplayer.

18. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Please be like Rogue Squadron/Rogue Leader. Please! Don’t waste money on actor/ CG models. Please don’t overthink the story. Give me some Endor. Give me some Jakku. Give me some Hosnian Cataclysm! And yes, even some Exegol. Just give us great space battles and missions and don’t overthink canon.

19. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Don't forget micro-transactions!

Nobody145, Daneira and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    It'd be nice to go back to the old days of X-wing and TIE Fighter. Given its EA, yeah right. It should have pretty graphics at least but I'm not expecting much else.

blackmyron, Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    EA couldn't even get the Trench Run in Battlefront right. The iOS/browser game, https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Trench_Run , did better! (I miss the browser game, I wish they didn't take it off the official Star Wars website).

22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Bet the campaign will centre on an x-wing squad who hate all forms of ground based combat.

The main character's tagline will be, 'ONLY FROM THE SKY CAN WE SAVE THE STARS'

Only for them to realise their hubris during mission #3 and become rebellion foot soldiers for the remainder of the game. :p

AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    New SW starfighter focused game? Huzzah! TIE Avenger back too? Even better...
    Plus flyable U-Wings presumably.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just want a Switch version. I miss Star Wars games on Nintendos.

SpecForce Trooper and Daneira like this.
  25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That would be a short level.