main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Won't work here. Hospitals being forced to turn people away or deny care due to rationing would be instant major news, both on television and online. Americans won't stand for that, but they'll be forced to swallow it.

The cultural idea that we can just forget about the virus and it's going to magically disappear would be embarrassing if it weren't so very dangerous. But learning the hard way--if we learn at all--is yet another time-tested American trait.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Thought I was returning to work next week, but someone in the Tallahassee office was diagnosed with COVID-19. Now there's a mass panic, and it looks like I'll probably continue working from home until the end of the month.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The potentially devastating consequences of a 2nd wave could still be avoided with more widespread use of face masks. Americans seem to be more concerned about the things they touch (hence everyone wanting Clorox wipes) than with the air we breathe (hence not everyone wants a face mask).

Face masks probably do a lot more to bring down the numbers than Clorox wipes....

(Link is non-paywalled)

Rew likes this.
  4. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007

No idea where you work but...wanna trade? Gov job in florida is basically hells doorstep sentence at this point.

This is the threads weekly reminder: Florida numbers are scary as **** internally. Frankly the only reason I don’t share more is that upon joining a govt job in FL, your records on your phone/home electronics are technically public information that is released if requested.

How the **** that is legal idk. But you know- Florida man.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Here in the UK they are saying 'face coverings' instead of 'face masks' for the requirement to use them on public transport. They don't want people bying up medical masks and causing a shortage for medical and care home staff.

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I just got a memo from corporate about ordering signage for the office. One of the signs is face masks required to enter. Corporate is in Seattle WA, our office is in Lanham MD. I am the only person in the office wearing a mask and two guys here have specifically told me they refuse to wear one. One guy said he was "done with it", not sure how to translate that. The other guy said he won't come in if they make him wear one. There's no HR person in the office to enforce it and since it's become a political thing I have no comment.

Rew and Pensivia like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Is your position superior to theirs - I.E. are you a manager over them? Or are you on equal positions?

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sounds like a very good idea imho. People can use other things besides traditional face masks, I think scarves are allowed or homemade coverings. Almost anything is better than unprotected

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - in fact the gov.uk site (official gov't website) has instructions on making your own. It doesn't have to be medical grade - it just has to cover your nose/mouth.

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Got the ok from my department supervisor that I don't have to return to work any time soon - pretty much til end of year. Big relief too that my company isn't requiring non-essential workers to come in, in order to keep essential workers as low-risk as possible.

Rew, Nobody145, Pensivia and 5 others like this.
  11. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm sure there is an HR person you can email, state your concerns, and allow them to send out an email to all the employees affected in regards to official policy. At least that way there is a paper trail in the event that employees choose not to comply, that you can later follow up on if you continue to feel unsafe. Even state that you believe much of this has to do with political beliefs which should not be brought into the office environment. And if the HR person doesn't do anything about it, take it to a manager. This is just work, your colleagues are not your friends, do what you have to do.

Rew, Pensivia, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope, they are my superiors.

@MotivateR5D4 I know you mean well, but I don't want to cause a problem. I just want my paycheck, something a lot of people don't have right now. I feel safe as long as I wear a mask and so far no one's telling me to take it off, that would be going too far.

Pensivia likes this.
  13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - I agree on wanting something official from HR.

Pensivia likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Just consider if they are that flippant about it at work, think of how little they care outside of the office, and what they could possibly be bringing in and spreading around. At the very least, email HR about it as it should be kept anonymous. It's up to you.

Rew and Pensivia like this.
  15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Let's just say that the head of my... company... was a guy who looked a lot like Voldemort. [face_whistling]

Pensivia and Fifi Kenobi like this.
  16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So, I've been doing the unthinkable: I am rewatching Clone Wars.

I know, I'm sorry. But the kid wants to see it and what can you do.

Anyway, guess what? I am enjoying it. Of course I still flinch whenever Savage Oppress walks, or during entire clones or droids episodes... or when I see any texturing up close... or every time Obi-Wan strokes his beard. Okay, I'm getting carried away. The point is, I take back anything bad I ever said about the Ahsoka character. I think she has good dramatic character development and she's in there for a reason. She's also not in Revenge Of The Sith, sort of for the same reason. I used to think she was just obviously spliced in; now I see she was spliced in very well.

But the skimpy top is stupid.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    please stay on topic. We're talking about the Harry Potter franchise right now.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Harry Potter and the Fragile Billionaire

Rew, BigAl6ft6, Nobody145 and 4 others like this.
  19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Oh sorry, wrong thread :D

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hold on, let me make you feel at home.

Rew, Nobody145, Runjedirun and 4 others like this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    A plateau of around 20,000 cases and 1,000 deaths a day is just terrible. :(

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This is the dumbest take I've seen all day.

Those planes only carry 150 - 180 people at full capacity. This is way more like 4 Boeing 787s or 2 Airbus A380s crashing per day!

Princess_Tina likes this.
  23. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Flu18 didn't go away entirely either over the summer. In some places it plateaued all summer long. So taking a 3 month snap shot - that's mostly the results of shutdowns - and saying they'll be no 'second wave' because the first wave didn't go down to 0, isn't going to help give a clear picture. I don't think anyway.

July on this graph, looks very similar to what's happening right now. The numbers are headed downward, somewhat, but never entirely goes away. And then come October...the real 'second' wave hits.

[​IMG]

Princess_Tina likes this.
  24. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I am glad that vaccines are making progress, other wise there would be no testing in July, but we still don’t know if they will work or not. I hope we they don’t go back to formula or have terrible side effects.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    According to the latest death toll figures, covid-19 has now killed more Americans than were killed in WW1