main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we bring a policy back?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm really sorry you felt unwelcome in the World Cup thread, Football can be very tribal and the community in the "Beautiful Game" thread can be quite abrasive if you don't know us (I blame Everton) but it is genuinely funny and we expect to receive as much as we give out, and remember #ritchielogic can apply to anything.

Feel free to join us again in the Beautiful Game thread as the premier league restarts and feel free to mock everyone viciously :)

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stop making this about you being a woman. The YJCC is not misogynistic, especially not compared to the time period you were referencing earlier in which it was within the rules to tell a woman poster “go make me a sammich.” If today’s regular YJCCers didn’t like outspoken women, you can believe I would not be sporting these colors on my user name.

The YJCC is, and has been for as long as I have been on the boards (this user name and a previous one) a place where people are very blunt, sugar coat nothing and are often sarcastic. It took me awhile to get used to it, and there was plenty from the PT-era that I can live without, such as the aforementioned misogyny and the threads about what people had for lunch. But it’s also a place where people will have your back—see Punk getting Vaderize the PPE he needed. And tom created the New Best Friends club with the only requirement being “tell us three things about yourself.” I have yet to see anyone unwelcome there.

But yeah, not everyone is going to like everyone. And by all means report it if you see a rule violation but it’s not a place where people are usually going to tiptoe around specific sensitivities or triggers, or a place where people who take a lot personally are going to be happy.

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    A public forum that's split up into multiple sub-forums, each with their own communities, cultures and respective etiquette. Am I going to go into the PT boards and let my feelings about the prequels and George Lucas' work be known to all? Of course not, I'd be hounded out of there quicker than a fox at the annual angry beagle convention. (I think I have been long, long ago actually.)

You could argue that the JCC has the responsibility of being more welcoming than other communities, because it has the responsibility of being the "Off-topic discussion" section. But I feel that's one of the key reasons why each individual sub-forum has its own social-threads now. It's not the best forum structure in the world, but there's defined communities here, with their own strengths and taboos.

I don't think the tone of YJCC has changed that much in that amount of time. I think your experiences may be more similar to mine if anything. I had some similar experiences when first posting there back in the day, but I've changed since those original efforts, and just got along with that community more as I did so. That and, as time has moved on, I opened up in there more and more, while empathising with the problems that the regulars had. I would join in on the jokes and festivities, and just be an active participant in the general community building. I know that I've said some controversial things, and some silly things, but that just contributes to the personality I have in the group.

Communities change, but people do too. And active efforts to join new communities can help change your perspective on things as well, which help to endear you more. I'm not saying that a community should be rigid in its accepted norms. But, as has already been said, community change is slow and arduous. A collective taboo doesn't vanish over night, if ever. So disagreement is always going to exist in some form or another. Sometimes those disagreements can work out, sometimes it creates friction that simply just can't.

I know those of us who post there can seem like we're part of an exclusive insiders club, we have our memes and ways, but we're really not.

SuperWatto, tom, CairnsTony and 4 others like this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    just want to chime in on the "silencing women" bit.. as a woman who has posted in the jcc, continuously, over the last 15+ years, i have never felt "silenced," due to my gender. So , kindly stop with the bull**** accusations.

The rest is absolutely not necessary.- HealerLeona

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2020
    KnightWriter and Chewgumma like this.
  5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Is there something in particular with my phrasing that you disagree with? Because in the next paragraph I clarified the difference between posts that violate rules or are offensive and posts we just may not like. I can think of several posts by users I did not like but that did not violate any rules.

KnightWriter likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I know that when I first signed up in aught-two I went straight to the Communications forum.

7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    no she was replying to me using your words to make a point ;)

pay it no mind, it was to me.

Yodaminch likes this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Sorry if that wasn't clear, I'm just highlighting one part that I agree with strongly. Not that I disagree with anything in your post.

Emperor Ferus and Yodaminch like this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    But you also don't see a group of members who frequent other specific sub-forums creating their own threads in Communications to discuss matters as if that's how they will hash out how things will be done in that sub-forum. It's one thing to discuss these kinds of things within the particular sub-forum it's happening in, but it's a whole other level of entitlement to take it to Comms the way this has been. If we really want to have this discussion about the JCC and how things should happen in it, than it should be located in the JCC so every member can provide their input. Not just a select group of users who want to preserve their culture.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  10. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    No need to apologise! I remember I watched much of that WC on night shifts, and the TV would be on at stupid-O'-Clock as I hoped fervently we'd have a quiet shift just so that I wouldn't miss any of the good bits. I imagine though, that being on night shift did mess with my head enough for me to perhaps not be as centred as I would have liked. That didn't really help. I got over it ages ago mind!

Thank you. Yeah, as I said above, it's likely my head wasn't quite right on those occasions, but I also think I was unlucky. On my second attempt, the poster who went on this interminable rant at me, later admitted that they had completely misread my post and were 'having a bad day'... It was hardly encouraging mind. I gave it another go, because I really did feel that it was worth trying at least one more time.

I think it's important for new bods to feel welcome here, but then it is equally up to them whether they choose to actively contribute in a positive way or not.

I am all too aware of the issues you've been having, at least based on what you have disclosed, and I did contribute briefly to the mental health thread in response to that, because I felt impelled to do so. As a mental health professional I usually avoid that thread like the plague.

As I say, things have been hunky dory this time around; to a quite remarkable degree if anything. Lots of great meaty debates amongst all the fun, frivolity, fluff and lint. :p

11. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I check comms often,
    if not just to check on the tech stuff, if others in the forums don't want to check the 'communications' forum that's on them.
    Or are you saying that only regulars of that certain subforum can contribute? Earlier you were saying you didn't want the forum to be some kind of clique (which I agree whole heartily with btw)
    I am not a JCC regular, 8/10 people posting in this very thread have no idea who I am, Yet I've found this thread both interesting and educational. And I am reevaluating my own pre-conceived notions on what the JCC is NOW compared to when it was nearly 20 years ago when the sarcasm knights ruled the roost.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Chewgumma likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    You have no idea how much the collective compassion the JCC has shown means to me. Including the compassion shown by you. So thank you. [:D]

13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Hey, nay bother! :)

My contribution was tiny, but as you say, the collective contribution of the forum to your well-being was pretty moving, I must say.

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    My point was that anybody should be able to contribute to a discussion about an issue taking place in a specific sub-forum, and that that discussion should take place within that sub-forum to allow for everybody to see it and to have an equal say in it, whether they are a regular or not. So for a group of users to think they can hash out the the issue among themselves outside of that sub-forum speaks to the entitlement of that group of users.

15. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    This doesn't make sense.
    The communications board exists so everyone on the boards can see them. Regardless of what forum they post in,
    Having this thread take place in the JCC and nobody outside that forum would even see it.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you.

Chewgumma likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    @anakinfansince1983, what an awesome post.
    Me, too. I was in fact pretty much anti-JCC when I was a mod. I got to know them better through the Senate merger and, well, I had been wrong. The people turned out to be friendlier, funnier, and more interesting than I'd thought. And even though I was a former "enemy", they welcomed me.

They also welcomed Princess_Tina when Princess_Tina suddenly came in to set up shop. But it seems Princess_Tina has conveniently forgotten about that.

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    motivate, you think the discussion was brought here in an effort to exclude people? i agree that it would be better to get more people involved, but taking these kinds of discussions about forum issues to comms has been the established procedure that users are directed to follow for as long as i have posted here. that's why i make a point to check this forum.

18. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014

not to mention this forum would be considered 'neutral' ground as it were for many different viewpoints from other forum members to weigh in on if they so chose.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Maybe it wasn't a conscious effort, but it was definitely a result. The thread had been going on and things said about me for a good while before I even knew the discussion was happening.
    In hindsight, it's clear there were definitely some misunderstandings happening. I think pretty much all the misunderstandings have been cleared up.
    I've been around the forums for a while, but it's not like I'm not flexible to things changing. The changes around Senate forum rules have been positive for the most part, imho, but if they went back to how they were before, I could adapt to that quickly as well.

I don't see how I've forgotten about anything "conveniently". At the same time I don't have a photographic memory for every single thread and every single post. Yes, it's possible there are a lot of things I might not remember, not "conveniently" but more in a middle-aged, absent-minded kind of way. I do remember for quite a long time I steered clear of a lot of JCC threads and stuck with the free association thread. Were there parts of the JCC that seemed intimidating? I seem to remember feeling that way for some time. And yes, there also have been many instances of people being very friendly to me, which I appreciate a lot.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Didn't you quit for 10 years, or so? You really can't claim to have been "around," for any substantial period of time. You came back, and it's not the forum you remember, and you're blaming it on everybody else, while denying that you are probably out of touch.

KnightWriter and Chewgumma like this.
  21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    My expectation has never been that the forum was going to be exactly as I remembered it, if I left or mostly lurked silently for an extended period of time, I don't think such an expectation would be at all reasonable. Also, it is not my intention to blame anybody for anything in any regard.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So then why all the drama? Why are you playing the victim here? Is this spill-over from your other drama thread, or was that spill-over from this one? Why are you creating this **** show? People are just asking you to chill the **** out, i don't think that's unreasonable of them, especially being several people are in agreement.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm pretty chill about 99% of everything going on in the forums. As others pointed out, a change was made to a specific thread on the basis of the discussion here. I'm perfectly ok with the change that was implemented. I don't think anyone is unhappy with that small change.

24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, fair point. I realized that after I wrote that post.

I get that comms is open for anybody to check. But if an issue about a particular sub-forum is being discussed only in comms, then the reality is that it likely won't be seen by the majority of people who frequent that particular sub-forum. I don't know, maybe if somebody has an issue to address that's worthy of a comms thread, they can also take it upon themselves to alert the sub-forum in which that particular issue is taking place. Just a simple post in a thread where that issue might have been happening.

But I think as far as the particular issue being discussed in this thread goes, it was definitely more of a round table discussion on etiquette than on actually wanting a particular policy in place that was detrimental to the sub-forum. If it had remained only that, then that's fine. But it clearly wasn't, and there were even invites for certain members to come and weigh in on it. So it's not like everybody involved would have just known about this thread because they're all so in tune with checking comms all the time.

I don't know. I'm not trying to change policy. But the whole tone of this thread I don't think should be representative of how issues should be resolved on these boards.

25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    It seems pretty odd to me as well. At first there was the contention that there was a widespread problem, but later it became clear some people wanted to single me out. And nothing that I'd done was against existing forum rules, to the best of my knowledge. There was some disagreement as to whether one particular thread should be a Senate thread or a JCC thread, because two threads apparently had been merged; the conclusion that it could be tagged as both seems fair to everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.