main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can we bring a policy back?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Diggy , Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Dirty laundry is aired in Comms

It has always been thus and always will be

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Fair enough.

KnightWriter likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have ptsd as well, diagnosed in 2011, and have been in therapy for years. It's no excuse for acting like you do, and you trying to make this about mental illness really isn't cool. It's like JK Rowling now crying rape and domestic abuse. It's not helpful, and really has no place in a discussion like this.

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    We're not talking about that now, tho. This thread is about the change in the Senate rules, or at least that is how the thread got started.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why are you trying to ignore what people are saying to you? Conversations evolve.

Diggy likes this.
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I don't think I'm trying to ignore anything at all, the conversation around the Senate rule was a productive one, imho. It seems like despite everything else, it ended up being a productive conversation.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, will you kindly stop whining about "harssment" now?

Chewgumma and Diggy like this.
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I am not whining about anything at all. This thread was started to discuss a Senate issue, the issue was discussed and to the best of my understanding we all agreed to move forward with a specific change that applies to one particular thread in that section.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    but you kept changing the goalposts and brought gender politics into it that annoyed a few of us.
    Now I'm against bullying OF ANY SORT. But it seemed to me (just by reading the posts in this thread alone) you like to blame things that aren't even there. Coming back and saying 'oh it's because I'm a woman, we're silenced' doesn't help your cause when it simply isn't true.

10. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    This thread was resurrected yesterday after said Senate issue was apparently settled a few days earlier...

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Ok so I'm confused @Dandelo - you say a specific issue doesn't need to be included in this discussion and I haven't challenged that, so why do you bring it up again? If you feel the issue is irrelevant then I don't have any objections to dropping mentions of that issue.

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    ok, good then. I agree.

And as Guidman said, it seems this issue has been resolved, so here is me bowing out as it were ;)

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm glad we agree! And yeah if @Guidman or another mod wants to lock the thread, I think the discussion has reached its endpoint.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's not your thread.

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I didn't say that it was my thread, I'm just signaling agreement with other people who have posted here. I'm allowed to agree with what they said, am I not?

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This is clearly an instances of wanting people to completely adapt to your own posting style, but not willing to take any criticism and adapt yourself. I can tell you when I first posted in the JCC I definitely was dog piled on (especially by Ender whether that was justified for not), and rather than demanding that everyone adapt to me I decided I would learn and adapt myself. I don't mean to be harsh but this thread actually illustrates your inability to self reflect.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    100% correct.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Self awareness & adaptation are perhaps the things people need to work on the most in life, no matter the context; especially for this place, it’s incredibly important, because it makes you really appreciate & love all the things that make this damned great community to be a part of.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm curious when the JCC ever was the very friendly place that it's viewed as being, because I seem to recall a decade back (roughly) that quite a few other subs had very negative views of the JCC as being cliqueish. And to some extent, I'd suggest one of the reasons message boards still exist are from the people who *don't* want their internet activities to be more like Twitter. And the extent of that divide used to be present, which was why the JCC and Senate would have similar topics in discussion, but for different kinds of discourse.

It's also the value of something like Vivec's thread that allows for one sort of post that has low original commentary to be put somewhere.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Friendly in the vein of say, a sarcastic, witty environment. Every forum has got to have cliques, but that’s not so much the issue as I see it, but rather the overall temperature of the forum. The JCC has always been that sarcastic, witty spot, in varying degrees throughout the years. Friendliness has been there.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Yodaminch and Chewgumma like this.
  21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I tend to agree. And I'm definitely one of those people.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think maybe one of the viewpoints in regard to the perceived "friendliness" of these forums might be in comparison with other message boards - and that is one are where everyone's experiences will vary widely, because everyone has different interests aside from this one. So it's perfectly possible one message board will be perceived as being at least relatively friendly, because it is being compared to some other message board organized around entirely different interests.
    Another consideration is that sometimes people will be participating on a very limited basis because of work, or other RL priorities. During the first few years the forums were active I would have had a lot of leeway to read a few threads here and there during the day, but a little less ability to get heavily involved in a lot of discussions, much less the so-called social threads. But again, YMMV.
    Yes I do think a lot of message boards can be cliquish to a considerable extent, and in some cases those cliques do want to act in an exclusionary way to the detriment of anyone who doesn't fit in for whatever reason. Sometimes this leads to message boards that are very insular.
    And also very importantly, even a single person's experience can vary across time, like Cairn had mentioned earlier.
    Almost any website that is set up primarily for members to interact and share information also has a lot of the same or similar features, and a message board already is like Twitter in a lot of ways, except perhaps for the ability to directly follow celebrities and political figures directly. But you already have a main feed or listing of topics, you can set up lists that more closely approximate the thread topics of the message board, you can do searches for important topics or terms you want to look up or follow more closely. Both allow you to directly post photos and videos and you also have a few ways to try to limit the range of the people you're going to interact with. So really if anything they are far more similar than different, except perhaps in scale, obviously one has millions of users.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The point is, your constant stream of Twitter posts is blatant ****-posting. Stop it.

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm reposting this here because I think it's a good articulation of where things stand right now (to the best of my knowledge) and hopefully the basis on which we can all move forward with this. I don't think anyone here objected to the idea of dealing with this on a case by case basis, that seems like a perfectly sensible idea to me. OTOH if there is support for some kind of rule that deals with this, then hopefully this will be the place to have that discussion, so that we can all offer some feedback. But, as GAJ said, the discussion was not meant to be a referendum on a single user.

25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    You were the one to post in here about your beef with others after your PM diplomacy with Punk somehow failed.

You were the one who kept posting in here about that beef, after requesting your own thread about your issues with other posters to be closed.

I agree with GAJ that this thread shouldn't be a referendum on one user, but you made the thread about you when it could have moved on. Twice. You shouldn't be surprised that the conversation hasn't moved onto the topic in a general sense while you're doing that.

And I'm surprised that the thread has still not been locked, because of the fact it still hasn't got back on course.

Dandelo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.