main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Boba Fett in The Mandalorian & Spinoffs (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by RX_Sith, May 9, 2020.

1. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    The trouble with replacing a character who wears armour and a helmet is that the audience have no connection to the actual face and would struggle to see this as a new character. Imagine if they brought in a new character who wore the exact same armour as Darth Vader it just wouldn't work. I've been a Star Wars fan since I seen A new hope back in 1977 but I know very little about the EU side of Star Wars and I suspect there are many more like me so it could easily become a bit confusing and it would risk fans like me becoming disconnected from the GFFA.

Darth Chuck Norris and Crod1992 like this.
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    If Boba Fett's "character" to those peaple is just his armor and helmet, then why would they care whose under the armor or the helmet?

To such peaple all of these faces...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...should work fine, no? Becuase the helmet/armor would be what matters about the character, not the person beneath it.

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its about character and what separates them from other characters. so you have 2 characters wear the same armor then you are selling 2 characters in the same design. when there really is no point to it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    DarthKegs and Crod1992 like this.
  4. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I think you've missed the point of what I was trying to say. Maybe I didn't put it across very well. I think it would be difficult to have for example someone in Boba Fett's armour turn up on screen only to be told it's not BF it's someone else. As a viewer we're only familiar with the armour & helmet, same goes for Vader so we'd automatically think of the character as the one we know which would kind of defeat the purpose of trying to change the character. As I said earlier imagine if a character was brought in who wore the exact same armour & helmet as Vader but walked and acted differently and the voice was completely different to the one we all know and love. I think most fans would be turned off by it and to the more casual fans it would simply be confusing. Start confusing people with what's going on in a show and they tend to give up.

Darth Chuck Norris and Crod1992 like this.
  5. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree. Just ask Marvel how that Mandarin twist worked out for them. They couldn't release that one-shot video quick enough to ret-con that nonsense they know they did[face_laugh] There is absolutely ZERO chance this silly rumor about Boba Fett being a female will be true.

DarthKegs and Crod1992 like this.
  6. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    The second season finale will involve Mando storming Cobb Vanth's hideout only to find him in his underwear smoking death sticks and cheering at the pod races on the holonet.

'Mando, mate Fett is just a piece of armour. Just a costume. I was only pretending to be him cos the empire paid me in spice. You just gotta- HEY QUADRINAROS JUST WON THE MOS ESPA CUP! OOH-AH! OOH-AH!'

:p

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and K2771991 like this.
  7. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I wonder how different boba or Cobb will look in season 2. I think the armour will be familiar but different due partly for the need of new toys.

8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    How different can it really be? i guess it could be acid damaged. but if he is wearing the exact same armor there is really little that can be changed without replacing it.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  9. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I mean, it would be fairly simple to just say "Boba who? I bought this armor from some junk dealers. They said the dug it out a sarlacc's belly."

Boom, done. The casual viewers who just know Boba as a dude in the background would'nt care either way, while the peaple with more intimate knowledge/the hardcore fans would have their explanation. I mean, how many peaple honestly cared when Luke, Finn and then Rey all ended up with Anakin's old saber? Surely somebody getting Fett's discarded armor would be much the same, would it not?

Is'nt that basically Kylo Ren?:p

10. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Good writers can explain almost anything fairly quickly and with style. Fans often seem to assume good storytelling is impossible. Of course, given what we've seen recently in the films, I guess fans assume this with some reason.

But the writing in the Mandalorian has been pretty good so far.

Jango_Fettish and K2771991 like this.
  11. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    [​IMG]
    IMO some peaple just need to have a wee bit more faith in both the writers and themselves; all that is being talked about is explaining why a new character is wearing armor formally worn by anouther character, but from the way it's being made to seem we might as well be discussing how to teach a blind snake to fly a 747:p[face_laugh]

12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d say the writing has been excellent. Character-building and world-building, without one overwhelming the other. A difficult feat to pull off.

K2771991 likes this.
  13. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Oh i have faith the writers can pull it off. no matter what direction it goes, am sure the writers could do it. BUT i just don't see there being a strong enough selling point behind keeping Cobb in the Boba armor. it just has temporarily written all over it somehow.

The Mandalorian: Are you a Mandalorian?
    Cobb: No
    The Mandalorian: where did you get the armor?
    Cobb: It was found next to the Sarlacc pitt *takes helmet off and winks to the audience*
    The Mandalorian: That is strange...
    Cobb: Yes the poor soul must have been swallowed and dissolved while in the armor and then the pitt must have spat armor back out. so now its mine.
    The Mandalorian: You don't think that maybe they just climbed out and left the armor laying there.
    Cobb: Nah they are probably dead.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    K2771991 and Crod1992 like this.
  14. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    I’ve said it before but I can see his design being a take on the Mythos design seen on some art and Sideshow figure. It has the perfect post-Sarlacc look and feel to it.

Just add some more damage to the actual armor and voila. Everybody’s happy that it’s his traditional look with an “updated” twist.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Jaxxon- likes this.
  15. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Fett doesn't do an awful lot in the original trilogy but he made a lasting impression. He captures solo for jabba and says little throughout but he was a fan favorite. I think the prequel trilogy some what demystified the character seeing the face behind the mask especiallly that he was a rather annoying kid when he do see him. That's not Daniel logans fault it was just how he was written in aotc.

But I think a lot of fans will be happy he survived the sarlacc. From what I've read he won't do much... Again in season 2 but he will do more in season 3. I'm looking forward to seeing slave 1 as well and hopefully we will.

Crod1992 likes this.
  16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Well, he was ten. A lot of "cool" and "badass" peaple were probobly annoying when they were that age. IMO it would be weirder if we met him in ATOC of the clones and he was either a cool and badass ten year old or a ten year old who just stood in the background saying nothing (though if were being honest I've always felt Jango should have just been Boba, rather then his "father")

I mean, just look at Vader:p

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly I think they're doing a "twin engines of destruction" old EU story lose adaptation where a fraud is wearing Boba Fett armor which ticks off the real not digesting Boba Fett and we get a showdown. Mando and Baby Yoda hang back while Greef tries to sell tickets.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    TCW did not really help Kid Fett' persona.

Fett was nice to see in Dark Empire, but this new canon is not Dark Empire.

Jodo Kast was kinda interesting, I like his appearance in Masters of Teras Kasi game, fun little game. But back then to the EU Fett was a Mando and Mandos in the EU were superduper, while canon's Fett is more like akin to a Jodo Kast. I don't think this show should be a vehicle for Boba Fett anyway, possible he's a replacement for Nolte's character and maybe dies again or remains on Tatooine as some sorta mentor and lawman/ local mafia boss type or alternatively Moff Gideon calls in the semi-mangled Fett to kill Djrin.

Having two competing Bounty Hunter characters in Mando armor, one with a pre-existing mythology and one you;re building on, on the same show is kinda dumb imo. Both arent really Mandalorian, sure one kinda is by creed and deed though while the other just steals their armor and uses their rep and markings . They are too close already in some ways.

19. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Exactly. It's the same reason they put Phasma in silver armor to differentiate her from the every day stormtroopers. If she's in the same armor as the regs, she ceases to stand out, and it lends itself to confusion as to which one she is.It's the same as to why you can have Finn, but the remainder have to remain nameless and faceless.

DarthKegs likes this.
  20. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    That's what happens when you try to bootleg a character you already have just to make an "original" one of your own. People complain Boba Fett is overrated yet, there's nothing Din Djarin does in season 1 that couldn't just have been Boba Fett himself if his armor was green instead of brown/chrome. With that said, I'm so looking forward to season 2 to see.

Crod1992 likes this.
  21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Only...Din Djarin has a completely different backstory to Boba Fett (and a better one, IMO). Thank God he's not the son of THE clone that precipitated the process leading to the downfall of the Republic. His story is a little less galactically portentous.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This image never gets old.

Jaxxon-, K2771991 and Bor Mullet like this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’ve got it in a frame in my living room, so I can see it and be comforted by it every day.

K2771991 likes this.
  24. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    Yeah. a completely different backstory from Boba but they literally Jango's for him. How is that really any better? It's lazy and I don't know how anyone can praise it? I can get if you enjoy it, I know I do. But it still comes across as just lazy the way it's so blatantly copied.

And why are people so hung up with Boba being a Clone when trying to knock him? How is that bad and how does that even matter in the grand scheme of things? He was raised for 10 years by Jango and didn't seem to have any bonds with any other Clone. I don't have a dog in this fight but I'm always fascinated at people's hate for Boba as it always seems personal and they just can't like him just because of whatever silly reasons they come up with. Everytime I hear something good about Din Djarin, it always gets followed up some offhand remark about how he's better than Boba. It just never fails and I find it quite entertaining.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Crod1992 likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Huh? I love Boba Fett. He outwitted Han and the other elite bounty hunters, and stood up to Vader without fear. I just didn’t like my favorite bounty hunter being shoehorned into such a galactically massive plot in AOTC. Felt contrived.