main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes. I think all SW films released theatrically from now on will be event-based, rather than character-based. Of course, you can actually have both in the same film. IMO, RO handled this superbly.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Is LRM legit?

https://lrmonline.com/news/star-war...f-shows-planned-for-disney-lrms-barside-buzz/

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I agree completely on the four quadrant appeal necessity in the cinema. But I was referring to Star Wars on TV and other platforms that don't require that scale of audience participation. And in a world where cinema's role becomes more and more limited(where, IMO, most cinema offerings will be big blockbuster event films), I think the Star Wars IP should move the majority of its offerings to the small screen. And in that space, I don't want the storytelling hampered by clumsy attempts to artificially ramp up the scale of conflict.

But I think we're in agreement here. Just talking about different mediums.
    This. I'd actually model all Star Wars films after the RO approach. Great characters participating in big events of different kinds (and from different perspectives).

4. Revanchist4000bby

Revanchist4000bby Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2020
    The key is integrating certain TV shows as a promotional device to build to feature films, much in the same way pro wrestling companies use TV to hook fans into purchasing their PPV. This shouldn’t be the case for every new show, but I’d like to see a few 5 episode miniseries designed have direct tie ins to future films.

The upside for this kind of hybrid storytelling is limitless. Imagine a new trilogy where you start off with a feature film and use a miniseries in between each film (with the same actors) to add further depth to the characters. You would truly get the best of both worlds by doing this with lower budget tv episodes allowing for a slow build to the big budget film spectacle.

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I do like the focus of live action TV giving us small scale stories compared to the grand events of the films. However that doesn't mean films should only be about grand events/wars.

There could be a story worth telling in the age of the Republic (1000yrs of galactic scale peace) which just wont fit with a Tv budget. Especially if it centered on a a world war (in a local sense) and Jedi striving to bring peace to said planet.

6. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    To get the ROI Disney wants on SW and how the future of cinema is up in the air with streaming options, pandemic concerns, etc... - making movies grand events is a must.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I hope things don't turn out like Marvel where you kind of have to watch everything to get the most out of the Avengers. Current SW has already felt a tad cluttered for my taste. I could see myself bowing out entirely if future films are overtly dependent on multiple series on the streaming service.

Dandelo likes this.
  8. Revanchist4000bby

Revanchist4000bby Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2020
    That is why I think the TV shows that would have more direct crossover with new films should be stand alone miniseries. This way you don’t have to invest in watching 100 hours of content to understand what is going on. I would certainly love to see this concept used for stories like KOTOR which take place in an era that has so much going on.

Crod1992 likes this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. I also hope things don’t turn out like Marvel where all the movies are bad.

10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This makes a lot of sense and fits the direction I believe we're already seeing and the rumors from LRMonline.

https://www.geeksandgamers.com/george-lucas-and-john-favreau-hate-the-last-jedi/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I smell BS when see G+G and doubts he hates the movie more might dislike it, i doubt he got involved just to stare the ship in another direction. Where was Faveru during the prequels then as he dislikes them and Filoni loves the last jedi.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Not a fan of the site either but I don't know of them making up quotes and citing people for it.

During the prequels when GL was in charge by himself? Why would he speak up then?

And why would one say Filoni loves TLJ? Watching the Mando series he describes Luke and The Force the almost exact opposite of what TLJ did.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Filoni tweeted to the cast of TLJ. He talks of the dark side similar to TLJ, he praises Rey, he talks of Luke similar to TLJ.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The rumors about multiple shows sounds very promising. I'm a big fan of Filoni and having him guide all this seems like the right move. These shows can fill in the gap between ROTJ and TFA. They could enhance the sequels like how TCW enhanced the prequels. There's also a great opportunity here to plant the seeds for future films or series to take place after TROS.

15. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't see any of those comments as liking TLJ. Anyone being paid by Disney isn't going to bash the movie openly. His actions speak much louder, especially now that he's in the live-action part of SW.

Been pretty clear Filoni is focusing on what takes place after ROTJ, not TROS. ST basically being ignored.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well his clone wars episodes seemed to complimnet TLJ and his tweet no doubts suggest he likes it, he didn't need to tweet to the cast of TLJ. and his talk of LUke and the dark side seems similar to TLJ.
    Also i feelings his contact with in hollywood just talks out of his ass don't know ****, i mean no respected hollywood would even be in contact with G+G.

17. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, that's pretty much true.

When was the last time Geeks + Gamers said anything remotely true about Star Wars?
    There really is no reason to assume that they suddenly post something truthful for once, especially when it just so happens to line up with their usual rants that are devoid of any logic.

Seeing how Jon Favreau pitched the show to Kennedy in summer 2017, before TLJ was even finished, it couldn't possibly be true that he offered to make this show to "save Star Wars" , nor could it be a reaction to TLJ. Seriously, just a tiny bit of research shows how ridiculous this whole thing is.

18. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Filling in the gap between 6 and 7 will either directly or indirectly affect the ST and can influence Star Wars projects taking place post sequel trilogy.

19. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    I lost interest in stuff taking place between III-VII the moment it became clear it was all for nothing with SKB wiping out everything the rebels heroes work for so I’m not impressed with the announced shows being OT-focused. It’s like walking into a Baskin Robbins and I’m supposed to be amazed at them having 31 variants of vanilla.

This is why I want the High Republic to be successful and lead into big projects like films and tv shows because it’s the one thing from Disney that isn’t trying to be “wasn’t the OT awesome?” and it’s focusing on multiple Jedi that won’t (hopefully) have the shared obituary of “death by Jedi massacre”.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    After stories post ROTJ we will get post TROS, Filoni will make sure of it infact. he likes Rey and want to do stories with her and gang,

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Why would anything happening during the High Republic matter? Sidious destroys the Republic and the Jedi Order.

22. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    Same can be said about the Old Republic. For me both eras are far enough from whatever Sidious does, it doesn’t have me immediately feeling apathetic which I can’t say the same for anything set between 3 and 7.

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The High Republic essentially exists to give the publishing arm of Lucasfilm the ability to tell a large scale narrative without being directly beholden to the events of the Skywalker saga, although I'm sure there will be some foreshadowing.

24. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm actually excited for the High Republic era. I was just playing devil's advocate. What may happen before or after any star wars event or era doesn't negatively affect my interest in whatever the most current star wars thing happens to be.

25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well it’s a lot better then the RoTJ and TFA gap. A new republic that goes kaboom after 30yrs, a Jedi Academy that doesn’t live that long, and Palpatine plotting in the background. A return of underdog Rebels vs Empire.

At least the Republic still has 213 years of existence when the High Republic stories begin and a Jedi generation that won’t get gutted. A period where Palpatine isn’t alive yet. Get to see the Jedi being peacemakers and the upsides of the Republic without a galactic scale war and the revenge of the Sith getting in the way.

Edit: just noticed you playing devils advocate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.