main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    R1 certainly wasted everyone. Mendelsohn and Zombie Tarkin had most to do acting-wise out of the cast lol.Though Mendelsohn is the best so...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  2. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    That's certainly not an opinion shared by everyone. Bodhi was my favorite character in the film and I don't think he was wasted. Would I love more stories about him? Sure. But I enjoyed his role enough in R1 that he became my favorite character.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would read a novel about any and all of the Rogue One characters. I’m glad Jyn and Galen and Lyra got back stories, but I would have read one about any of the others. Except Krennic, because I was rooting for Jyn to push him off the tower on Scariff. And Vader choking him (and bringing in his Anakin smartassery while doing it) was a great moment among many in that film, better than the oft-praised ending scene with Vader.

But any and all of the others? I want a back story. I’m glad we got a Jyn novel and Catalyst, and I look forward to the Cassian series.

4. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    My opinion, I think some may expect a white person to cast white people. Similar, to me expecting a black person to cast black people. If either side bends another way, some may think there's another reason. I think I've seen things where, I think black people, were talking about black men getting with white women for the clout.

Also, I think some may not think someone can benefit from casting white people, as far as being approved of by some crowds, so if they cast that way, they may think it's not seeking something.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Anyone who thinks Black men “get with white women for clout” also thinks that Black men cannot have “clout” without white women, or white women (or white people in general) have more “clout” than Black people—and we have a word for that.

We don’t need to acknowledge or give credence to that line of thinking without the disgust it warrants.

And the whole idea that there is a “benefit” to casting Black or Brown people but not white people just goes back to the idea that white people are somehow supposed to be the default in casting. We need to move away from that.

6. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I wasn't suggesting it was an accurate assumption. Personally, I wasn't very receptive to the idea. Just something I'd read, that I think was something, I think, some black people were suggesting.

It's more something I think some people may think. But I don't think it may be one of considering it default, maybe more that they think some may approve more of it.

7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Diversity and representation in TV and cinema isn't an either or thing i.e. there's not one route, and can often be complex. There is a moral imperative to make content more diverse, but at the same time, having it be a tick box exercise can be counterproductive. Inclusion MUST happen, and by the very definition, involves a modicum of 'positive discrimination' to force the matter. However, we must not be content with tokenism. As I've mentioned in other posts, the power in the industry is firmly in the hands of middle class, middle aged white men. Some of that power will be feely given, and some will have to be taken. We will only have true diversity once the power base is more representative of gender, class and ethnicity.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    You do realize you just called a highly acclaimed Mexican actor, director and producer "a telenovela guy who lucked out with a Star Wars role", right?
    You're being quite transparent here.

unicorn, 2Cleva, NHB0M and 13 others like this.
  9. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    She’s been quite transparent for a long time...

As for the “black men get with white women for clout” thing debated above - that view has a name - “anti-miscegenation.”

10. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I don't know if you've seen Black Klansman, but Spike Lee actually showed prejudice on both sides, especially from black people towards cops, and I salute him for that. Great film, as well!

I like diverse casting, I also like inter racial romantic relationships. But it's problematic because if you cast a black or Asian actor as a white character it's often hailed but if a white actor is cast a a character created as black or Asian - oh boy! Far better create more black and Asian characters. Taika Waititi cast African American Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, who in the comics was a blue eyed blond Nordic looking character, and when questioned his response was:
    "I wanted to diversify the cast."
    Thing is....the Thor cast was already diverse, with Heimdall and Hogun played by black and Asian actors, and he actually had a canon version of a Valkyrie that was Native American - Danielle Moonstar from New Mutants. What would happen if they cast a white woman as Shuri in Black Panther. I think we all know!
    Thing is, you can't have one rule for one section of society and another rule for the other. It's hypocritical. And I have to admit I'm still seething at how Kelly Tran was treated in TROS, she was great as Rose, and I really wanted to see more of her in TROS.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There are about 8365692 reasons for Black people not to trust police, and only one reason, racism, for cops not to trust Black people due to their skin color.

But that’s a discussion for the Race Relations thread in the YJCC, which I encourage anyone who takes a “b...bu...but...” attitude towards diversity in films, including Star Wars, to read. If (general) you don’t want to read the entire thread, just read the last 10-20 pages.

I love Spike Lee as a director, I like Adam Driver as an actor, and BlacKKKlansman has been on my list for awhile. But I haven’t seen the movie yet.

12. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    It's well worth checking out, both disturbing and very funny.
    Off topic but so is the Amazon prime series Hunters.

13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Except when your movie costs north of 200M to make and about as much or more to market. Than no matter who you put in TPTB seat, their political and other preferences and/or biases go out of the window and survival instinct (return on investment) kicks in. Which means that they are going to make the most inoffensive, anyone 7 - 77 can enjoy anywhere in the world, easily understandable, generic movie without confusing cultural references and specifics that only one nation or group gets and no one else. That will never change. Lower budget movies can afford to be more this or that but big blockbusters will always be driven by what sells which means eliminate any potentially offensive content (see Hollywood's new fad of including brief gay content that can be easily removed from prints shown in countries that ban or disapprove of such content) and maximize what's proven to attract widest audience possible.

My point is that one shouldn't expect diversified blockbusters to be any different from current ones. No matter what gender/class/ethnicity, they all want to produce big hits and that means applying the same formula and listening to focus groups like anyone else. And if that means less of something that they would personally prefer to see more of, but there's a risk that the movie wouldn't break even because of it, there will be less of it. It's just the way it is. I'm under impression that people think there would be a radical change, but nope, count on it.

Take Black Panther for example. It's a black cast blockbuster entirely made not to offend other demos. So of course that the hero is generic King Kumbaya who wants to protect whiteys and Asians from Killmonger's plan to blow up Hong Kong and Western shopping spree cities. Of course that there's a whitey who helps save the day. Of course that colonialism is bad but somehow CIA (the infamous war mongering and neo colonialist power) is represented by the said heroic whitey, which means in roundabout way that America is totally not colonialist, don't get your panties in a twist, audience, we good guys. Bucky is given an affectionate cowboys&Indians genre nick name White Wolf and local kids absolutely adore him. The story is Lion King remake where Killmonger is Simba who goes on a world domination spree because his uncle killed his dad and robbed Killmonger of his rightful throne, so standard Shakespearean melodrama understandable to audience from Iceland to Argentina to South Africa to Oz to Sri Lanka, nothing (currently political) to read into or confuse. There's some no1curr side plot about isolation vs joining (the corrupt and ineffective) United Nations but that's secondary to much more compelling game of thrones. Unfortunately, game ends too quickly and predictably (Rightful King N'Jadaka should have lived to appear in more movies). So all in all, this is as inoffensive as it gets. Primary target audience gets empowerment and positive representation while secondary, tertiary, etc audience is assured that there's nothing to fear from the said empowerment. They love White Wolf, Bilbo saves the day, King Kumbaya protects everyone, please see the movie xoxo Uncle Kevin. Replace Uncle Kevin with diversity uncle or an aunt and you'll get the same product. 200M budget and about the same P&A demand that everyone is aboard and no one is alienated. Mind you, it's a good movie but you can see there's plenty of compromises made to attract everyone. It isn't a Jordan Peele ultra-cheapie that can afford to be edgy by bashing certain demo and still has tenfold return on investment.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You certainly can have one rule for casting a Black or Brown person as a character who was originally written as white, and another rule for casting a white person for a character written as Black or Brown.

The reason is systematic racism. White people have had all the power in filmmaking, Black and Brown people have not. And in the United States and in many other areas colonized by European countries. Black and Brown people have been oppressed for centuries, whereas white people have done the oppressing.

It is only “hypocritical” to have different rules if the history of white people and the history of Black and Brown people in film producing (and in the US and other European colonized areas in general) have been exactly the same, with all races having an equal amount of power across history.

It’s the same reason that it was OK to have Christopher Lloyd drink from an animal trough but not to have John Boyega do the same.

And yes, KMT and Boyega were both treated like **** for racist reasons.

15. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    These two sentences are the crux of the matter. Far better to create more Black and Asian characters. Yes, absolutely true. But when after that happens the role STILL goes to the White actor?? That defeats the whole purpose. Creating more diverse characters is meaningless if the roles still go to White people. That is why replacing characters of color is not equivalent to replacing White characters. IMO, the rule of thumb should be: If changing a character's race or gender from the intended race decreases diversity, it shouldn't happen. Period.

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    As mentioned, these things aren't mutually exclusive... and I actually agree with some of your points. However, a generic action blockbuster can be both popular and diverse. Diversity needn't be a tick box exercise (although I acknowledge that currently often is), nor should it be limited to socio-political drama or 'urban' comedies. There's absolutly nothing stopping this, but the unwillingness of those in powerful positions to relinquish some of that power. As in most cases, writers, filmmakers etc. reflect themselves in the subject matter of films/television. The more BAME writers, filmmakers, producers there are, the more content they will produce... and it will, I'm sure, reflect themselves, their ideas, their thoughts and their culture. It's about normalising it. If parity in this area is achieved (which is where the struggle really is), there WILL be more 'substantial' inclusion on screen.

17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    If it’s to try to correct centuries of injustice you absolutely can.

The privileged majority having obligations towards discriminated-against minorities is not a two-way street. Because they are not and have never been on an equal playing field.

18. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Do you know what I wish?
    That people stopped blaming people for what their ancestors did centuries ago.

19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That goes both ways... you can say the same for racism in the first place. They are both factors a person has no say over.

And besides, it is still happening today.

20. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Man I didn't know racism ended. Good to know, guess black people won't be executed by police and all minorities have equal opportunities, particularly in realms like art given this is a film discussion thread.

21. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t see anyone here blaming anyone else for anything their ancestors did.

Lack of personal blame does not, however, mean lack of personal responsibility. See also - museums being called on to return artifacts looted ages ago from their native lands.

22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I just saw Finn as a character not a representation of anyone but maybe that's just me.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody is “blaming” anybody, and everyone who tries to switch the narrative to so-called “white guilt” is trying to shift the focus to their personal feelings instead of where the focus belongs—on how we can eliminate systematic racism against Black and Brown people.

Dismantling that system is far, far more important than hurt or offended white feelings.

And on what @JoJoPenelli said about personal responsibility—anyone who does not take an active interest in dismantling that system is responsible for its persistence.

It is no longer enough to call oneself “not racist” (if that ever was enough)—we now have a responsibility to be actively anti-racist.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Characters are inherently representations. Especially characters who are the only major woman/PoC character in a story.

25. sian1965

Apr 26, 2020
    Fine.
    I'm registered disabled. I live in a country that for the past ten years has repeatedly re elected a government that has targeted the mentally ill and disabled as "skivers and scroungers' because we can't work. Many have died because of their persecution. Physical assaults on disabled people have risen. I'm waiting for the day someone leaves an abusive note on my car because it bears a disability badge; doing this is quite popular at the moment.
    When my brother was young he was repeatedly persecuted by the police for being gay. He and his mates avoided gay bars because the police often went in and beat up the occupant's for fun. He was actually one of the people who helped create LGSM during the 80s.
    To this day he doesn't trust the police. At all.
    What I'm saying is not all whites are 'privileged'. Before mass murdering Jews, gypsies and anyone else he disliked, Hitler practised his Final Solution on the disabled and the mentally ill. And many mentally ill people all over the world were abused and experimented on, given forced lobotomies, and sterilised.

We may be white, but we know the horrors of prejudice.

christophero30 likes this.