main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well the 'Core' and 'Rim' are from the films... so. Though, when I heard the 'Colonies' in TROS my heart skipped a beat.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Wild Space has has been having quite a renaissance lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthJaceus likes this.
  3. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    The Leia: Princess of Alderaan manga of all places actually gave us Lonera's region!

Expansion Region --- you'll finally have more than just Kerkoidia in that section now @AdmiralNick22

[​IMG]

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Really? I can't see the image in your link, can you repost?

--Adm. Nick

5. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    Sure! I'll post the imgur link I just made hopefully that should make it viewable for everyone.

It's a very interesting place to establish a seemingly important NR world. I wonder, @jasonfry did you have any knowledge of this?

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I did not, and that placement's a mistake. The text of Claudia's book says Lonera is "practically in the Expansion Region," which is clearly different than it actually being there.

But people make mistakes, myself most definitely included. Unless it's overruled, Expansion Region it is.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    harryhenry and Ventrix like this.
  7. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    If I’m not mistaken, that manga hasn’t officially been translated into English, so that’s just a fan translation and might not be what it actually says. You could also just say that the character was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ah. My bad. Please keep me informed if it's official or not?

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I wish they'd release Rise to Power. Just for the map at least, haha!

Do we even know the status of the game at this point?

--Adm. Nick

10. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Huh, there's another generic mobile game coming out? I didn't hear that over the sound of Squadrons being launched. ;)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, it was announced in 2017... so it's probably not coming out. It hasn't been officially canceled, though.

12. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I wonder what other games LFL folks play during paid workhours in their offices we will never see or learn more about...
    There was an interview once with, forgot who, that said as much that they have access to unfinished playeable versions.

13. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    With all the strange beautiful and unique worlds we got, I was wondering about the odd ones out.

We got hollow planets like Naboo with no magma core filled with loads of water, living worlds like Sekot, other hollow planet concepts with the Aleena underworld an entire different ecosystem, or Yoda arc's Force World with the Priestesses underground inside a planet with floating islands. The galaxy is more diverse than just standard planets and features all kind of fictional and fantastical variations. Dyson Spheres like the Mortis Monolith even. Centerpoint station also is a nice hollow world concept that, not by design but later generations evolved into a settled place. Space cities like Nespis VIII even though artificial look like flatearthers dream come true or MCUs Asgard kinda if overgrown enough to look natural instead of artificial.

Can we list all these odd ones and special places that are non-standard configuration?

14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It looks like Ruusan has floating islands in canon, as per Bounty Hunters #3.

15. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    There's also Legends-era Kessel that was essentially shaped like a giant potato, though now it's just a regular planet in canon through Rebels and Solo.

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I still have hope that a mining accident turns it into a canon potatoe for the post ROTJ era ;)

PCCViking, JediBatman and harryhenry like this.
  17. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    Ha! Well, that idea would fit for timelines that include Rebels, like what Joe Bongiorno does on his website.

18. CakeR

CakeR Jedi Padawan

Aug 10, 2020
    Hey, @jasonfry I was curious about what software you use for your personal map (assuming you use any [assuming you even keep a map and not a list of coordinates or something]).

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    It's Modi's map from the Essential Atlas, and I use Photoshop Elements.

There are a ton of layers, letting me turn on/off regions, trade routes, etc. The most important thing is to keep star systems on different layers -- I separate them by movies, comics, books, etc. (Always very useful to turn the map back to movies/TV star systems to remind yourself what's fundamental.) Proposed placements are typically in yellow until approved.

Basically, an inherited map, being smart/consistent about layers, and lots and lots and lots of copy-pasting.

20. CakeR

CakeR Jedi Padawan

Aug 10, 2020
    Cool, thanks for the info. I've been thinking of making a map of my own and so far the 'photoshop layers' option has seemed like the best one so it's neat to hear that you came to the same conclusion.

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I wish we could get this digital map file and update it ourselves... everyone starting from scratch to create such really is a pain and Fans would pay money for the file even if LFL thought it worthy... even for irregular update packages then.

22. CakeR

CakeR Jedi Padawan

Aug 10, 2020
    At the very least it would be nice to have the 'generic spiral galaxy', 'grid' and 'region' layers so we can then place whatever planets we want on the map.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  23. stellar_cartographer

stellar_cartographer Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2020
    You might want to look at working with Illustrator too, since everything is vector you can easily change colors and symbols and it has the same kind of layer control as Photoshop.

Ventrix and CakeR like this.
  24. stellar_cartographer

stellar_cartographer Jedi Knight

Jun 13, 2020
    Do you keep a list of source material associated with the planets? I know you have your spreadsheet of planets & grid coordinates, but I'm curious how much else you have for your own reference going on in the background.

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I'd love to give it a try but I hate starting from scratch when others already tried the same. Some file to start with would be neat.