main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Episode Numbering Continue For This New Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 15, 2019.

?

Should the new Saga have Episode numbers?

1. Yes, of course

29.2%
  2. No, you idiot

70.8%
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It reminded me of the opening theme for "Spaceballs".

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This. I actually think it would be really interesting to see different "sagas" within the GFFA, with episode numberings-and they're just referred to as different saga names.

RE: Rogue One's logo, I'll admit the title score did seem oddly pseudo-JW. But IMO the rest of the score for that film is some of my favorite in all of SW! The score that plays as we see the first scene with the Death Star, and the intro to Tarkin? Incredible-and very fitting for a SW film.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    if they make prequels maybe they should go in negative direction :cool:

InterestingLurker likes this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I give this post a:

-8/10

Too many negatives.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Darkstrider likes this.
  5. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    I voted no. I think the Skywalker Saga should be the only numbered "episodes."

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I think the numbered episodes are one and done.

There's really no point to have them anymore tbh

7. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I remember discussing this way back before TFA came out, and I stand by what I said then:

PymParticles likes this.
  8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No because that should be kept for the Skywalker saga however and the new movies might be stand alone anyway.....

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Voted no, especially if they are going to be using different directors. Let each movie be self contained and not rely on others to fulfill or resolve existing storylines or remain cohesive. They can reuse some of the same characters in a way that is not contradictory but no numbered episodes.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Are we talking about movies after Episode 9....I mean...maaaaaaaaaybe ??? IDK...Gets a little silly if we ever reach something like Ep 22 or something.

If were talking movies that aren't continuing Ep 9 then no those can be anthology.

I mean unless we get like Old Republic 1 or something but even then you can have more a tag line

like Old Republic: Jedi Rise or something IDK.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  11. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
  12. The Original Sith

The Original Sith Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2017
    Now that’s a good idea. Chapters instead of episodes.

chrcharcor2 likes this.
  13. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I voted "No, you idiot".

Disney's attempts at saga Star Wars should be called Disney's Attempt at Saga Star Wars I, Disney's Attempt at Saga Star Wars II, and Disney's Attempt at Saga Star Wars III. These can be conveniently shortened to DAASSWI, DAASSWII, and DAASSWIII.

And then Lucas Star Wars retains the Episode numbers. Like God intended.
    Disney's Rogue One can be changed to Rogue One.
    Disney's SOLO: A Star Wars Story can be changed to This Happened.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Getting rid of the numbering (although I'm not against the idea of 'anthology' standalone films) only reduces the overall aesthetic (IMHO), which will be bad for the franchise. And whilst one may think it's limiting to sequence films in such an obvious way, I actually think a modicum of creativity/lateral thinking could actually make it work better. For example, if the 'Skywalker Saga' is a 9 chapter story, there's nothing to stop a 'KOTOR Saga' being a 6 or 9 chapter story, with a similar numbering system.

Immortiss and Revanchist4000bby like this.
  15. Revanchist4000bby

Revanchist4000bby Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2020
    Yeah, watching a Star Wars movie without the opening crawl is weird. All of the Disney films outside of the st did this and it did not feel right. What you suggest reminds me of how book series are done.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Tython Awakening and Darth PJ like this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The Disney Star Wars films without the opening crawl felt absolutely right. Because their openings were consistent with the style and tone of those films (RO and Solo - with RO having arguably the best opening sequence of any SW film). I actually found the opening crawls of the ST to feel very tonally inconsistent with the films they were attached to. You have this artifact of the old serials and then sudden you’re in a hyper-modern version of Star Wars. Just didn’t work. I would’ve respected the ST a lot more if they were stylistically consistent, rather than trying to keep one foot in the past and one in the present. They feel too committee-made, in that way.

If they don’t jive with the films they precede? I say drop the crawls. Just maintain the ALTAIAGFFA.

17. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't mind whether these episodes are numbered are not. But Disney and Lucasfilm need to step back and find someone who can create a series of films before making them. I feel that the Sequel Trilogy made it clear that Disney and Lucasfilm were never prepared to make film series, let alone a trilogy for the Skywalker family saga. And it would be nice if Lucasfilm would learn to create new movies and television shows without relying so heavily on the Original Trilogy. Or else it will never create something truly original. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed "Rogue One", "Solo" and "The Mandalorian". But sometimes I feel as if the studio were using those productions, along with the Sequel Trilogy, to recapture the past of the Original Trilogy. And I don't find that particularly creative.

18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I want the numbers, the music, the crawl.

19. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The numbers, the music, the crawl, the Bad Robot intro.

20. Revanchist4000bby

Revanchist4000bby Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2020
    How about if they did an opening crawl, but changed the music for it to make every saga distinct? I know the crawl is relic from the serials but it is part of what separates Star Wars from other sci fi, it gives the franchise this fairy tale aura. It also helps new fans understand where the story is picking up. My cousin’s first Star Wars was episode 3 and the crawl helped him as opposed to a cold open

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What if they simply restarted numbering? Instead of "Star Wars: Episode III" it's "Knights of the Old Republic: Episode I" or something?

I don't think they'll go with numbering at all, but I feel like that could work.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    keep the crawl and remove the numbering. JUst go old republic chapter one or sometihng to that affect.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Keep the numbering, put the crawl over there, and get me a latte pronto!

24. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Continue with the numbers but start from 1 with subtitle for Saga films ex.( Star Wars: High Republic I). I also would like to see the opening crawl added to Rogue One and Solo. Both of those moves could be improved with a good opening crawl. I think the opening crawl should be on every Star Wars film. If you don’t number the episodes general audiences may be confused about the timeline. We seen this happen with Rogue One. A lot of people thought it was a sequel to TFA. So imagine if TFA didn’t have an episode number just like Solo and Rogue One.

If it’s a one off film then don’t give it an episode number but just a subtitle with the era for example Bespin Occupation: Empire Era. So let’s say that movie is a mega hit then they make sequels Bespin Occupation: The Empire Era II. To clarify saga films start from episode one with era subtitle. Spin offs no episode number just title with era subtitle unless sequels are added.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Voted no, but some kind of numbering would work like if they do trilogy or duology with numbers I-III , just no episode numbers anymore.

This could work

I don't agree on this. I don't think they would be improved at all. I know many viewers who absolutely hate the way Star Wars starts with literal wall of text :D I personally love opening crawls but Rogue One and Solo work better without them IMO. There is A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... and Solo does have a short text about situation on Corellia in the beginning.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Bor Mullet and Darth Dookacas like this.