main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Vox Popoli II - Return of the Interview - Now featuring LordTroepfchen

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by SirakRomar, Jun 3, 2020.

1. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Excellent Interview actually. Just one question left.

Running that many games and characters throughout the years is really quite an achievement. Yet, I cannot oversee you actually did exclusively Star Wars games. Never felt the itch to try any other material?

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Oh man, Archangels & Alchemists and Man Cubs... @Winged_Jedi sure gave us some classics. Great interview, @Sinrebirth.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @LordTroepfchen!

I have a Disney game planned, and a Final Fantasy game planned, and a ‘Real World’ original thriller game planned, actually, for 2021.

I’ll have less Star Wars games than non-SW games, if it pans out.

Thank you, @Reynar_Tedros!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Is it too late to pose a question to you @Sinrebirth ?

Why, after getting himself taken to prison for 10 years due to his obsession with her, is Aden Kya still obsessed with Adalia Tehanis? Why is he determined to destroy her? What did she do?!?!

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She rejected me! Together we could have ruled the galaxy! As Aden and Adalia Kya!

6. darthbernael

darthbernael EU Community Mod, Fuego, Pyrofuego! star 5 Staff Member Manager

Apr 15, 2019
    Since someone didn't post them after they were provided, here's a few.

Hmmm, how have your characters and your ability to refine characters evolved over the years you've been writing and gm'ing?

The question has been asked about how you manage writing so many characters and gm'ing as well but beyond that, how do you keep track of the multitudes of NPCs you write or introduce into all the stories?

What do you do with a character, I mean make sure you are doing so correctly, you have that exists in canon and legends when you are in a game where it is one or the other and you have to play it that way in that timeline?

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Notes others questions are deep and hers are very simple due to her being rather simple.

[​IMG]

She's old! Like when you tried to destroy her the first time she was already 37!! Aden was 25?!?!?! .........floored here, as I have no recollection of the approach, all I have is nasty comments and snide remarks!! :p

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Hmmm, how have your characters and your ability to refine characters evolved over the years you've been writing and gm'ing?

I would say that I have became more happy to break and rebuild characters, or, to try very hard to break them. I have more recently acquired the ability to kill more prominent NPCs, which is hard!

The question has been asked about how you manage writing so many characters and gm'ing as well but beyond that, how do you keep track of the multitudes of NPCs you write or introduce into all the stories?

Sometimes its easy, sometimes its not. Sometimes I mention a character and before I click 'send' suddenly realised I used them somewhere else.

chuckles

Largely I have this self-awareness bubble, I'd say, caused by immersion... I read a post, then I reread it, and it's the second time I like it, because then I've absorbed it. Sometimes I purposely read things unliked to remind me to reread it, for example. The 'like' system helps me bookmark.

What do you do with a character, I mean make sure you are doing so correctly, you have that exists in canon and legends when you are in a game where it is one or the other and you have to play it that way in that timeline?

I try to recollect their life to that point; what references would be biggest to them. This is an issue the general continuity of any franchise can have... characters become archetypes as a franchise becomes simply too large for a writer to have read everything. Which is why Luke, Leia and Han generally shift very, very little in Canon unless they hit a forced change i.e. the Sequels. Legends had a bit of this as well, with Luke, Leia and Han constantly making references to the original films but less so to, say, Chewbacca, Anakin and Jacen dying, though Legends became better at doing so this is what has happened so far books between major arcs.

I mean, I've written AU versions, Canon versions, Legend versions, and then One Canon versions of characters like Mas Amedda/Darth Wyyrlok all over. White Eyes has turned up a fair bit as well, and he's practically temporally insane by this point. Probably.

She's old! Like when you tried to destroy her the first time she was already 37!! Aden was 25?!?!?! .........floored here, as I have no recollection of the approach, all I have is nasty comments and snide remarks!!

That's how Aden flirts! He was abandoned by his parents as a young teen! Did you think he would be well-adjusted?

9. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    As a GM, what do you think about having long term dedicated players rewarded in-game with certain items or experiences? Not to exclude others, but similar to Eli’s game, have a progression system in place?

Second question

How do you engage with players as far as storyline planning? Are you more of a reassuring GM presence or is it teamwork to building the experience the player is looking for?

Sinrebirth and darthbernael like this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    As a GM, what do you think about having long term dedicated players rewarded in-game with certain items or experiences? Not to exclude others, but similar to Eli’s game, have a progression system in place?

I tend to leave it open ended and have moments at the end of a scene or an arc where they pick up skills, gizmos or just stock up with weapons. I don’t always want to hand all the long term players specific things for risk of isolating new players, I suppose. But as to scenes, and experiences, I try to give each player a Moment, and more than one where possible. Yet, most characters leave my games nothing like they were at the start of the story; they’ve all developed in some manner.

How do you engage with players as far as storyline planning? Are you more of a reassuring GM presence or is it teamwork to building the experience the player is looking for?

I pick some plot points, mention a MacGuffin, and then make sure to take some cues from their own sheets to set up NPCs their character will care about - partners, parents, children - most of the plots in-game are organic. I plan very little! If a specific question is asked - can I meet this character? What about this backstory combo? I almost always say yes, within reason.

(But I’m not gonna ship you with an NPC just to meet some fanfic-fantasy requirement. )

11. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    So, you’re saying you won’t indulge my fanfic romances in your RPGs...

I REQUEST A NEW MOD PLZ

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean @Adalia-Durron did just marry Kyp Durron in Last Stand but yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Was just asked how that's going for me............ shakes head.

14. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Oh that was interesting! Thanks @SirakRomar and @Sinrebirth.

Two questions I got:

Of all this many, many games what was the conclusion ratio? Round about?

Is there a game you regretted not having joined?

Oh a third ... what is your method of dealing with leaving players? Do you write them out? Take them over? Kill them off? What do you think works best?

Answering your counter question, I only returned recently, but I feel that the one thing we miss around here is the adoption program! It made things so much easier and accessible. In general we had more of an educating spirit back in the days, which I was told nowadays comes off as arrogant. Yet, we undeniably have GMs who have been around for long running incredible successful games and who can probably share a lot on how games can be run and what did not work, keeping us from making their mistakes again and again.

I personally would love to have in depth look at how some guys actually design and manage their games.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Of all this many, many games what was the conclusion ratio? Round about?

I'd say about half in the last decade have completed - my completion ratio has increased as of late, actually. Of my last... 6 games, 5 completed, and that other one was the aforementioned ATA. I have 10 games on-going at the moment and I'm confident they'll all reach their ending. So then I'd have a ratio of 15 of 23 completing.

Is there a game you regretted not having joined?

MAN CUBS! @Winged_Jedi sequel when? :p

Oh a third ... what is your method of dealing with leaving players? Do you write them out? Take them over? Kill them off? What do you think works best?

It really depends. Unless a player specifically asks, I usually write them out. Even if I give the appearance of killing them off, I leave it very open-ended to their survival.

I have tried recasting, but that can be quite difficult to do. (Read: very).

16. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I think Han Solo in Twilight is the most recast character ever on the boards, is he? Also I remember Kol Skywalker went through various hands in 128 ABY .

Seems doable with canon characters.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yes, they did. With OC’s it’s a harder sell, but Zas’tel has settled with @darthbernael in the Epitaph games.

darthbernael likes this.
  18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Do you think anyone from the Writing Dept at Disney are lurking and stealing your ideas to create a masterpiece? If so, would they wait till you are dead and buried to produce them?

darthbernael likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    If they are, good for them. But being as I’ve collaborated on SW works before with LFL writers, I’m not concerned about it. I’m pretty sure a few ideas have made their way into the old continuity at very least. We’ll see as to the new.

20. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Wait, what

21. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    What's the last original sci-fi story idea that you encountered?

darthbernael likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I am credited in both the Galactic Atlas and Essential Guide to Warfare. In the former more prominently, as I did more behind-the-scenes stuff there.

I'm also editing some formerly approved LFL work which is being published now Legends is over, though updated by the author.

Little things.

@Ananta Chetan I am a terrible adherent to a franchise so I don't tend to see much in the way of originality but more in the way of sequels and the like.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  23. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Which aspects of GL's originality do you feel have inspired so many imitations?

darthbernael likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    The thing is, George borrows from a lot of themes.

The American Senate, the German Chancellor and Stormtroopers, the British Officers and Japanese samurai Vader.

He weaves them into something truly appealing, a battle between good and bad with no uncertainty to it.

His process is what is original.

25. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    You mentioned your preference for Sequels, do you usually have a plan for the sequel in your head while you play a game?