main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge June is WIP MONTH! (Finish WIPs, get colors!)—IT'S ON!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Findswoman , May 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    263 total so far (/3000) on that untitled Legends thing. :p Not likely at this point that I'll make it all the way to any of my goals, but maybe I can still get to 1000 words or so before the time is up.

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, not to worry, every little bit counts--remember, WIPs can only get closer to finished! ;) Got it in the index, and sending good vibes for the remaining days of the month. :)

And since we are getting so close to the end of the month, I would love it if everyone could just quickly double-check the index to make sure your listings look accurate and that everything is there that should be. I wouldn't want to cheat anyone out of the colors due them, after al! :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Kahara likes this.
  3. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    YAY! DONE!

Set back today when the power went out for a few hours but I made it! WOOOOOoooooHHHHHoooooOOOOoooOOOoooOOooOOOOoooooo

*ahem*

I started the HaiKu challenge which is now just called Noonflower which will hopefully be up and posted in the next couple of days. Added some more while editing the Namia/Kit fit and updated the Spoonful of Trouble to include the latest round of drabbles. Woot!

6000 total:
    2000 on Just a Spoonful of Trouble: 2845,
    1000 on CCC-USJS: 1120,
    2000 on untitled Namia/Kit fic 3294
    500 on Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails: 10045
    500 on Haiku Challenge: 648 [face_dancing]

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    =D= =D= Wow, way to go, @Kit' ! You're a star! =D= =D= You really threw yourself into this challenge, and boy oh boy, did it pay off. I've got everything updated (and bolded!) in the index and can add the link for "Noonflower" whenever it's ready! :)

Just a day and a half left, people--let's make it great! (Not that people haven't been doing great already, of course!) :D

5. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
  6. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    =D= Congratulations and well done, Ryn, you did it! So happy to see that story complete and bolded in the list now. You too really did a bang-up job achieving your goals in this challenge! :)

A funny thing: the first time I went to edit the index to bold your story, pretty much the moment I opened the edit window the power went out at my office! :oops: But I did it again, and it's there now. :)

7. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks for the messages of commiseration on my chromebook and its dead-on-arrival power supply, everyone. I mailed it back for my father (he wanted to just return the power supply, but the seller made it clear in a short, and rather curt, message that they wanted the whole thing back) and he received his refund, so it all ended as well as possible.

So: it is the last day of the competition, and I am still without my own computer. Yes, I know that if I had really put my mind to it and gotten my **** together, I could have written a few hundred words on my father's computer. (There are only so many 1970s Formula One videos/ones on Niki Lauda in particular available on youtube for my father to watch.) But I didn't. Perhaps that's because I have too many works in progress, and they're stuck in a log jam.

*Pauses message to assist a family group of visitors.*

That was my month. But it looks as though other people have been doing a bang-up job indeed. Congratulations! And I expect to see more words before the final hour of the challenge tonight.

8. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Wow! Congrats, @Kit' and @TheRynJedi! And congrats to everyone else who's participated and made progress this month! =D=

I got one of my word count goals with 2000 words on Raise The Candles High. The rest, not so much. :p

This really was so great for motivation and it's been a lot of fun. Thank you again, @Findswoman, for doing such an amazing job of hosting this and keeping it all organized! [:D]:)

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Congratulations for everyone who reached their goals! And for everyone who didn't, congratulations for you too for even giving your WIPs attention in spirit. You never know what your muse is working away on even when you don't even realize it! [face_dancing]

As for myself, I managed to make my 1000 word goal for both Cut Into Little Stars and Your Reach Into the Far. Those were my small goals, and I would have liked to complete a few more old WIPs, but unfortunately DRL didn't let me write as much as I wanted to this June. Which is sadly becoming a theme. :oops: But I did get quite a bit done on We Claim Our Own Landscape and my still untitled MMM story - which is almost done now, and I should be able to finish it this week. So, yay! That's progress I definitely credit to WIPmonth. Who knows how far I would have gotten if left solely to my own devices. :p

But, most importantly, I did reach my review goal with the following stories:
    * The Other One We Make by @amidalachick, which is a gorgeous vignette that really hit me on a personal level. It's a story I am going to be thinking about for some time to come!
    * Snips and Snails and Bantha's Tails by @Kit' - which is a great collection of fun, heartwarming stories that's helping me get to know her wonderful Family of Scoundrels.
    * The Diary of a Very Sympathetic Padawan by @devilinthedetails, which is a beautiful look at one of my favourite JA characters as she comes of age during a very turbulent time.
    * All Things Nice, also by devilinthedetails, which is a fantastic, touching portrait of the Naberrie family throughout various points in time.

:D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, wonderful work and well done on reaching your word-count goals, @amidalachick and @Mira_Jade ! =D= =D= And great job by Mira on those wonderful reviews! =D= =D= I've got it all down in the index. And hey, no worries at all—every goal, large or small, counts and is worth celebrating, and that's what this challenge is ultimately all about! (If it's any consolation, I didn't manage anything on the Finishing Option side myself, either. But there's always next time, I figure! :D )

@Pandora, thanks for checking in, and again, no worries at all. I completely understand how these RL setbacks happen and affect things. WIP month or no WIP month, and no matter what stage any of your WIPs may be at, your JCF Fanfic forummates are always here to support you and cheer you on. :)

Anyone else with final updates and counts to report, do let me know, so that I can tally up colors info and get it off to the mods asap tomorrow! [face_dancing]

And finally, I would welcome any feedback you have about this challenge, positive or negative, and whether you feel it would be worthwhile to do again sometime. Always glad to do what I can to improve things! :)

amidalachick, Kahara, Kit' and 2 others like this.
  11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh yes, @Findswoman this should definitely be recurring. [face_dancing] I don't know how it could be managed but maybe have it be 6 weeks instead of a month so that anyone who got their goals early or had a slow start or a snag midway would be able to reach their goals. I think as you've done having it every 3-4 months is just about right. [face_thinking]

Congratulations to everyone who strove, came close, and met/exceeded their goals! @};-

Findswoman , Kahara, Kit' and 2 others like this.
  12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Congratulations to all who participated as readers and reviewers!=D=

I may not have met all my goals, but I know this was great motivation for me to meet the goals I did.

Thank you, @Findswoman, for hosting this amazing challenge. I enjoyed it so much, and definitely hope that you'll host it again in the future! [:D]

amidalachick, Kahara, Kit' and 2 others like this.
  13. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Congratulations to everyone who participated. Someone back earlier in this thread said something wise about any words, any writing to be one step, one word closer to the finish line. So even if you wrote ten words, you still achieved being one step closer to your goal. That's certainly kept me going through the start of this and then as it just became a personal challenge to get all the way to the end.

@Findswoman - this is a great idea. I think @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha's suggestion of six weeks is good, although having a month is at least a definite start and end date (unless you are on the otherside of the world like me which just gets into all sorts of strange timetable issues). I definitely love the reading challenge because it's something that i struggle with. I often read but I don't write something and I'm not an amazing reviewer, but this actually reminds me to leave a comment, rather than just reading and leaving.

I'm mostly just thrilled by the fact that Snips and Snails turned out to be so amazing and huge and that I wrote enough to join the two ends of the untitled Namia/Kit fic together, even though I have so far to go until it's finished.

For my part I finished Noonflower today but due to time differences I'm not sure if I made it in time to be included.

That means my final count is as follows;

6000 total:
    2000 on Just a Spoonful of Trouble: 2845,
    1000 on CCC-USJS: 1120,
    2000 on untitled Namia/Kit fic 3294
    500 on Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails: 10045
    500 on Noonflower (HaiKu Challenge): 2498

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  14. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    You're not at all too late, @Kit'! I've got it all in and up to date--thanks so much for the update and congrats on finishing! =D=

OK, everyone, I'm going to start tallying up the colors data, etc., now to send off to the mods! Always the most fun part, I think. :D Congratulations to all of you on a job well done! =D=

15. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi Kuri! Thanks for the note. Is the story with the 3000 words finished, or not yet? Because it looks like you went with the Finishing Option, which means that colors aren't awarded until the story is actually finished. (If it had been the Word Count Option, I would be able to award the colors for every 1000 words up through the goal amount.) So whether you receive colors depends on whether it's finished or not, but either way, it's still progress and worth celebrating! :)

I'm not sure exactly what your question about reviews is. The way that portion of the challenge worked was like this: people simply would read and comment on stories other people were working on for the challenge (listed in the index in the OP, with links and everything), then reported on those comments here in the thread, then I'd record which stories they reviewed in the index, and then they'd eventually get colors credit for the ones they reviewed (24 hours of colors per two reviews). But the challenge is over now (it only ran for the month of June), so if you do any reviews now I'm afraid I can't count them. (Reviewing is still always a great thing to do, of course! ;) )

Anyway, I hope that makes sense and answers your question, and I'll go record your word count now. Thanks again for the update! :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Congratulations to everyone who met their goals!! =D==D=

This wasn't the right time for me to participate this month, but hopefully next time! :D

18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Congrats everyone who met their goals and were productive this month (... unlike me).

19. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Findswoman, thanks for running this! Congrats to the other participants as well! =D= The last WIP month really helped me get kickstarted on writing again. This month my muse was a bit underwhelming, but hopefully next time. And I'm very happy to see how many of my fellow participants did make their goals and/or finish stories! [face_dancing]

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails is a GENIUS at coming up with muse-stimulating challenges, as in the Fanfic Olympics. [face_dancing] I was wondering if we could incorporate something like that in future WIPs, as in having a series of word goal totals like writers could pick amongst and if they got close to that or met or exceeded it it would be an accomplishment. Personally, I found the lower end word amount "events" easier to write up, and writers who feel strapped for mental or physical energy could tackle 100-110 words in no time. :cool: I also like thinking of our WIPs not as one gigantic story or even a chapter but as a series of scenes/posts. So maybe have a goal of I'm going to write at least 3 scenes for this situation my characters are going through. LOL

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021