main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well one thing to add is TPM was sorta carrying the weight of the entire Star Wars universe on it's shoulders, fairly or not.

TLJ wasn't.

Mando was a extreme success and brought in a whole bunch of people (Look at the explosion of Baby Yoda memes and how that has effected internet culture)

The Clone Wars Season 7 was reported to be the most streamed thing ever on streaming service was a massive hit.

Honestly outside of Solo, which also had a May release compared to a September release and poor marketing other Star Wars things have carried and boosted the franchise and the IP.

jaimestarr likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    So I take it you didn't watch the movies then? I mean, he clearly did. As for TCW, yes, Anakin is an incredibly watered-down and boring version of what he was both in the films and the ancillary material that preceded TCW (which actually built upon how Anakin actually was in the films and were just stronger storytelling because of it).

Yes, his concept is very charming but if we're talking about actual narrative depth, he's pretty goddamn overrated. It's probably why a lot of the characters in the ST, while the actors involved in playing them may be charming, are actually pretty vapid when looked at from a writing perspective. It's why it is genuinely annoying when you look at something like TCW and see a bunch of incongruous character traits that simply aren't who Anakin is attached to him.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    AusStig likes this.
  4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Agreed. I only watched the pilot/Clone Wars movie, at the cinema, and it put me off for good.
    I was naively thinking it would show some aspects of the character that contributed to his fall... but it was so watered down... the only time it remotely came up was when he said to Ahsoka something like "I don't talk about my past". So disappointing.

5. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    "It is too late for me son." :p

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I...prefer TCW Anakin.

*ducks*

Jedi Ben and HevyDevy like this.
  7. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    And that's fine. It's just that it doesn't sit right with me whenever people say or even attempt the implication that TCW Anakin is an improved version of him when all he really is in that series is more palatable. Which I don't think is the same thing as the character being improved upon.

Def Trooper and HevyDevy like this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the series brought out his good and fun side, which was sorely lacking in AOTC and ROTS. That side was there in several movie scenes but given the number of people who only see whiny tantrum Anakin, it obviously was not there enough.

jaimestarr likes this.
  9. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I think there was always going to be a significant difference between the two versions because in AOTC he is a teenager and still a Padawan and ROTS is the movie where he falls so you almost can`t count it because it just deliberately features an extreme to his character whereas TCW gave him his own Padawan, making him the master. Under that circumstances, he couldn`t occupy the role of belligerent teen anymore because that was now Ahsoka`s role. If the show didn`t make that choice, his character might as well have been a closer reading to something between movie versions of AOTC and early ROTS.

I did enjoy the novel about his Trials. Since that figured him working with what ended up being Corran Horn`s grandfather from Legends, I don´t even know if that story is still supposed to be canon, though.

10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I mean, that seems more like a case of people omitting those scenes and opting to misrepresent his character in their own critiques.

That's probably why the choice to make Ahsoka his apprentice was a complete mistake. After all, if we're going to cover Anakin during the war, that transitionary period is what TCW should have been concerned with. Just like how Republic and Genndy's Clone Wars series was.

11. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I can understand that.

I liked the fact Lucas was involved too, I should really give the show a proper chance.

Tbh I don't watch AOTC as much as TPM and ROTS, which were both to me better incarnations of the tragic hero.

AOTC to me works more symbolically, it is quite dream-like. The characterisations I admit can be a little annoying at times.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    AOTC works functionally for me with Anakin, and I love the Sand People storyline, because it sets up his fall well and shows where Christensen got his job. The execution of the love story and Anakin as Obi-Wan’s apprentice is rough at best, and regrettably skippable at worst. ROTS shows one of those areas where Lucas adjusted to his audience, as he actually does a great job with the capital ship scene of showing Anakin as the Clone Wars hero and friend to Obi-Wan, and while there’s still some rough patches with Padme, once his fall begins, Christensen’s back in his element, and manages the exact right pitch of characterization to make sure he transitions to a guy you’re totally okay with seeing catch on fire, genuinely felt some fear for Obi-Wan from even if you knew how the fight would go, and could still be pitiable enough to add some more resonance to Shaw’s already great turn in ROTJ as the character.

TCW feels like an interesting “appendage” to Anakin’s film story - it’s job is basically embracing the idea of ROTS Anakin up to the moment he kills Dooku, but given a new kid appeal character to bo7nce off of and sell. I like TCW Anakin in that light... and I’ll confess that he helped make it so that Ahsoka’s entire arc now feels like she’s the kind of “honorary Skywalker” than Rey ostensibly is. It’s just that I don’t *need* TCW Anakin for PT Anakin to work for me.

For comparison, I think that Kylo/Ben’s story is more clouded and less “functional” given his defining moments and the clash between them. There’s a honestly too much similarity and lack of change between his TFA and TLJ persona to make the letters perspective of him work the way it’s supposed to: while Anakin got the Sand People scene to make sure that we could see how and why he could be sympathetic yet terrifying at the same time, Kylo doesn’t get anything to establish the sympathetic angle after killing Han, even though he arguably needs it more, as Kylo doesn’t have a kinship with Rey to fall back on if nothing else works, unlike Anakin and Luke.

This kind of makes TROS’s response and portrayal of Kylo make sense, in a way, even if it doesn’t help it necessarily: it recognizes that he really isn’t as sympathetic as TLJ needed him to be, and that his relationship with Rey doesn’t make sense, so it tries to create a more noticeable “break point” between Kylo and Ben, and just uses “cause the Force says so” regarding him and Rey.

I don’t know if they really had time to be more ambitious and coach those elements better, at least not without taking more time and focus away from Rey to do so.

I juts alos would have abandoned both those ideas from TLJ entirely. Even if you wanted to ultimately follow up on them, you’d be better served acting as though you were at ground zero and starting over: Rey could have bonded with Kylo over something entirely new and different.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@godisawesome

I mean I know a lot of people who say TCW Anakin is pretty much more Anakin then PT Anakin at this point on a personal level. Granted having 5 seasons on T.V (then added extra 2 via streaming) That's a lot of time spent with a character in a way most of the movie characters never had.

Don't underestimate the Clone Wars generation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2020
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Great point.

I think a break might be that I never really expected to like Anakin as a hero, but as a burgeoning and hopefully sympathetic villain, so as long as the PT got that right, I was good, whereas TCW succeeds far more at the heroic end, and has his darker moments sprinkled in more sparingly, but organically, and sometimes with humor - I absolutely love the one scene where Greg Proops voices the poor schmuck who thinks he can keep both Satine and Obi-Wan from killing him by manipulating Satine’s pacifism and says something like “Who could possibly take the kind of dark, vaguely amoral steps to stop me-“ *Killed by Anakin*.

15. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol. That is pretty good.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Agreed and I think that honestly that CAN change one perspective of the Prequel Trilogy and how one views it if they take TCW into account.

Seeing Anakin as that hero for not just A MOVIE...But A Movie (Lol) 7 seasons worth of Television, that has defiantly effected one's view of the character. I mean I always kinda knew that the PT Anakin and TCW Anakin don't really fit in that perfect smushing together of the two characters. But I do think that TCW in general (especially among younger viewers like myself) see the character very differently and sorta consider (as i said before) TCW Anakin, our Anakin. Making his fall to Vader even more tragic in a lot of ways. Or at least viewed differently.

godisawesome likes this.
  17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I thought the acting for the most part was better in the ST than the PT. The prequels had some stand out performances, yes, but they were less consistent or frequent.

Watch and listen to Daisy Ridley more closely in TROS. Some really appropriate inflections and good visual acting.
    Driver in TROS is really good as well.
    John Boyega was charming all around, if underused. Harrison Ford brought his class as usual. Mark Hammill arguably improved on his performance (he was always believable though), despite much worse characterisation obviously.
    And Ian McDiarmid, for the lesser amount we got, was less hammy than in the PT. Loved him in the PT and OT as well though.

Those are the first examples that come to mind. Maybe I don't understand the technical side of acting but to me to fault the acting of the ST compared to the PT seems a little disingenious.

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    They even play a short bit of the Imperial March real quickly when the guy gets skewered, before Anakin basically looks at Obi-Wan and says “What?” And Obi-Wan shakes his head like “Oh, you incorrigible rascal.”[face_laugh]
    There’s even dividends payed off later with that in Rebels - the brief as heck bit where James Earl Jones and Matt Lanter jointly voice Vader is chillingly effective.
    Without a doubt, the acting is unimpeachable in the ST.

I think Ridley sometimes gets heat because she was given difficult scenes in TLJ on a conceptual level that are just almost impossible to do “right” without clear writing... and I don’t think she had clear writing, considering how much debate there’s been over what the heck Rey’s motivation and POV was supposed to be. Some of it might also be the film treating her a bit as an audience analog rather than a defined character.

I mean, I still don’t like the writing for Finn or Kylo in TLJ, but I think the intent of the scenes is actually pretty clear.

19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Heh.
    I might have a problem with that if it wasn't fiction, but it sounds appropriate in this context.

I think I saw the clip, when he fights Ahsoka, right? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

She had a few clunky moments in TLJ yeah. For some reason she is much better under JJ Imo, both TFA and TROS were convincing performances.
    Like TFA;
    The origin scenes early on were pretty immersive and charming, and she seemed genuine with Finn and Han. And Ridley plays the more stressed out moments well as far as I can see, such as the forceback and interrogation scenes.

TLJ she wasn't atrocious or anything, but I know you understand this subject a lot better than me :)
    I get that the writing was less driven for her character.

TROS I know I am biased, being a big fan of her interactions with Kylo, but I thought it was her best performance in the trilogy.
    Her scenes with Driver sold it for me... that progression from fear and suspicion... to anger... to sadness... then almost elation with Ben on Exegol. Adam Driver helps a lot too, I loved his brief appearance as Ben. Like watch the range of expression conveyed by Driver when Rey dies and he then brings her back. That made me understand why his fans praise him so much.

And I liked Daisy's inflections generally as I said, I think she's talented. Her scenes with Leia and the other good guys had the right amount of feeling and humour, and she also sold the Jedi-in-the-making physicality of the role Imo.

Yeah. At least Finn was still likeable in the film, which I attribute to Boyega. I like a lot of the Kylo scenes in TLJ (it is Rey and Luke that causes problems for me) but that is probably largely because of the acting and RJ putting a lot (or too much) focus on him. But yes, the acting is actually a high point of the trilogy I think.

Ive said it enough, but the PT was epic in scope. Less traditionally human characters, but they are much more allegorical and symbolic, and watching 1-6 was pretty mindblowing in '05. They are much more ambitious than the ST.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think maybe your conflating ‘acting’ with dialogue/delivery. And I can assure you that I ‘sincerely’ believe that the ST isn’t any better than the PT in this department... The ST consciously tries to make the dialogue more contemporary (“you got a cute boyfriend?”) etc. and the delivery of dialogue is quicker (certainly in the Abrams films)... and ‘quicker’ doesn’t equate to ‘better’, neither in terms of dialogue, delivery or editing. Whereas the PT is much more stylised, the delivery much slower, but the ST isn’t going to win any awards in the acting/dialogue department is it? The difference between the ST and PT (in terms of dialogue and delivery) is much more in terms of style rather than quality per se. But where the PT scores higher for me is that the PT’s dialogue is functional in serving a much better story, whereas the ST dialogue often doesn’t go anywhere...

Jedi_Fenrir767 and PendragonM like this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  22. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    This popped up in my Facebook feed this morning... I can’t imagine Disney/Lucasfilm would do it, but the more I read it, the more I thought a ‘multiverse’ concept is a way for them to not only draw a line through the ST, but retcon the PT and OT too...

Mods - let me know if I’m allowed to link. If not, I’ll remove and paraphrase.
    https://cosmicbook.news/disney-resetting-star-wars-erasing-last-jedi

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I guess?

I just know Hayden sells Anakin's turn for a good chunk of ROTS, but when Obi-Wan shows up on Mustafar the vocal deliveries suddenly go all over the place. From Palpatine's office (Mace's death) up until that moment on Mustafar he own it Imo, especially visually. Just the first moment that comes to mind. They could have used a retake.

I know the styles are very different dude. I think you presume my level of experience with the PT.

24. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I’d agree with that, but I think it’s more likely to be the ADR process. It appears that, on the face of it, the PT has more extensive use of it than both the OT and ST. It is, for me, quite obvious in the Mace/Palp/Anakin scene and ‘Battle of the Heroes’. It’s incongruous in places, but may just be how it’s mixed.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  25. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I had to look that abbreviation up :p

That may be a big part of it.

I know with the reshot turn and everything they were heavily editing the whole film very late in the process. And I even had a strong hunch that some of the actors re-recorded lines for the dvd version compared to the original film cut we saw at the cinemas.
    For example if you have a rip of the cinema version (I used to in '05) and watch the first Palpatine and Mace conversation at the beginning of the second act, the dvd cut has a completely reshot version of Ian McDiarmid's performance. Unsure why. Kind of spun me out when I first watched the dvd.
    Another one is Vader watching the symbolic eclipse on Mustafar had different scoring slightly - that horn instrument "DaDaa!" was initially timed for the shot of the eclipse itself... and they shifted it a few seconds earlier to the shot of Vader on the balcony for the dvd. Different feel slightly.

But anyway my initial point was really the deliveries from Hayden shouting at Obi-Wan and Padme. Like "You brought him here to kill me" sounded a bit awkward to me. Whereas moments earlier with just Padme I thought the performance was better - the contrast yet eery similarity to pre-turn Anakin. It gave me chills.
    The interesting part was Vader's reaction to Padme suggesting Obi-Wan's help - she suggested it to Anakin during their conversation after his first dream, and while both times he refuses, there is so much contrast in Anakin to Vader's reactions.
    Blue and calm, Anakin sadly and sternly stating they don't need his help. Compared to the Mustafar scene - it's red and smokey and Anakin merely smiles condescendingly. It really demonstrates he aint the same guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.