main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference Vox Popoli II - Return of the Interview - Now featuring LordTroepfchen

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by SirakRomar, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Rarely, I’d say. Sequels happen organically or they don’t happen. I think we’ve all seen enough film/game franchises kill themselves with an ill-advised sequel... FF7 DoC, Spider-Man, The Last of Us, Sex and the City...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    darthbernael and greyjedi125 like this.
  2. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Interview #2: Greyjedi125

And in our second interview we got long time community pillar and our in-house Marvel expert Greyjedi125! My questions below and as always, floor is yours for seven days to bug him with questions!

Hey Grey, let us start with the beginning. You have been around for ages on these boards both GMing and playing in numerous games. But how did you actually end up here?

Oh, wow. That’s a good question. *Hello everyone! smiles and waves* Hmmm, let see. Going by the date, this is after TPM and before AotC. If I recall, I’d gotten a new computer at the time. I think that was during the end of a SW RPG I was running with some friends at work, which left me with a tremendous vacuum that needed filling. I was looking online for SW Fan Clubs or something of the like and man, let’s just say I ran away from those I found. By chance I clicked on The Force. Net, looked into the JCF and the rest is history.

So, do you remember your first game? What was it like?

I do, mostly. It was so long ago. I believe the game was called The Dark Times, which was followed by The New Dark Times. The GM was Antar Fodoh, and the game comprised of, you guessed it, grey jedi!! LOL!! I was in RPG heaven to say the least. That’s were I met Bravo, who’s been a long time friend ever since. I tried looking for the actual game link for the interview, but had no luck finding it, which is a shame. I’d love to re-read some of it for sheer nostalgia and worthwhile cringe factor. If I recall, I was playing as a Force Sensitive Monk, which was a transplant from a video game I was playing at the time.

As a GM you seem to have specialized in two areas, the Grey Jedi and very successful games based on Marvel Comics. Let us start with the Grey Jedi. What attracts you to this idea? Can we expect you to look into it in the future?

Ah, yes. What is a grey jedi. In Star Wars we have Dark Side and Light Side, two opposing values. They seem separate when you think of them in terms of color, but actually they are not. They flow from the same force that binds all things, they are both part of the whole, just at opposing ends, hence why I always contend that the Force is ‘One’. In Star Wars, Force Users learn to use the Light Side or the Dark Side, mutually excluding the other . I’m not speaking about good or evil here, that is another topic altogether, lol. To understand the gamut one must experience both values, or rather, the two extremes and everything in between, therefore finding balance in the process. I know is sounds esoteric, but that has been my general view. It makes for interesting conversation, if nothing else.

As for the a grey Jedi game, well, ‘The Grey Way’ was a fairly decent venture I believe. Enough players joined and seemed genuinely interested, but alas, there was an ongoing situation at my job at the time, which disrupted my ability to continue posting. I have been considering a soft relaunch, not quite yet, but it is very possible that it might happen.

Now Marvel Games. *laughs* Let’s just say I had a very extensive collection of comic books, which was lost in a flood. I’m also an artist who went to Art High School and Art Collage. For a time, Marvel was my second love, because Star Wars is my first. So, it was a no-brainer to launch a Marvel game. Not only was I familiar with the comics, but the video games as well, and now the movies.

I used to be a quintessential purist when it came to Marvel Lore, at least in regards to the movies. The multiverse was only for the comics, right? LOL! Well, I’ve learned to be a great deal more accepting of some creative changes and have used that approach in my games as well.

Well, the game everybody associated with your name is probably Xavier Institute for Higher Learning. Also called simply, "Xaviers“. It was one massive game, actually. Can you tell us a bit how it came to be?

If memory serves, I believe the original Xaviers was started by Zedd_Vega, who passed it on to Teegirloo and then me. I remember I jumped at the opportunity when it was presented, because the game had great momentum and players. Just so you know, the X-Men are my all time favorite Marvel Comics title. I remember distinctly making the decision to launch Xavier II because I felt the need to personalize the experience as well as honor what came before.

I also believe it is among the very few, maybe even only comic based game ever concluded. How did that feel? Finishing such a long running game?

Hmmm. I would say it came to a close, rather than concluded. I recall having difficulty posting updates at the time and a huge plot twist was coming up; The Skrull Invasion. *shakes head at the memory* Kahn_Iceay had a character that was poised to do some pretty epic things, but that plot line was never realized in the RPG. Thus, why I say the game came to a close, but didn’t quite conclude on the high note that it should have. On the plus side, the overall game had some pretty spectacular moments throughout, especially at the Xavier Mansion. We certainly had a great cast of players and characters, to whom I am eternally grateful for their time, energy and creativity.

Any chance we will ever see a sequel to it? The Sins of the Saints recently did a ten years revival, would that be a thing players could push you to do for Xavier maybe?

That is an interesting question. I’m not sure how to answer that. My first thought was, ‘Who’s still around?’ LOL. Can it be done with a handful of people? I’d have to give it serious thought. Twice I have been approached by players who wished to revisit previously closed games and twice I agreed to do it. I view GMing as a service to the RPF. It is an honor to be part of this long lasting community of creative individuals.

Well, recently you started another Marvel based game, which actually is still up and running. Marvel Heroes: A New Breed. What made you revisit the genre? How did you come up with the idea?

Well, *laughs* I guess I partially answered that question, above. Both Marvel Heroes: Resurgence and Marvel Heroes: A New Breed were player requests, and are directly tied. I recall the holiday season during ‘Resurgence’ was exceedingly demanding of my time and energy. *(If we could only GM for a living!! LOL), and, you guessed it, the game closure occurred ( There’s a running theme here, right?).

Well, third time’s the charm.

Much has changed since then, principally, ANB has benefited from the coronapocalypse quarantine, as far as time constraints. There are other RL concerns at play, but work is not one of them at the moment (whew!). As for the story ( getting back on topic ), ANB takes place only one year and a half after Resurgence, plus, most of the characters and players have returned, in addition we have new players as well (yay!).

I'm quite pleased that one major plot twist is already at play and player response has been positive. I stay up at night worrying about these things, lol.

The game also is part of a current trend of non-Star Wars games. Why did you choose to do Marvel game instead of another Star Wars franchise?

Oh, sorry, you caught me doing a happy dance *smiles*. Hmmm. Well, the game was pretty much a response to a player’s request as stated above, as well as an opportunity to revisit a genre that I love. Most of the work was already waiting in the form of ‘Resurgence’ and all the files on my Marvel Game folder. Re-launching was a no-brainer, as the saying goes.

At the time I had no plans for a SW based game. Grey Way was still on the shelf until further notice.

What is your approach to GM a game of this size? Is it pressure or pleasure to have that many players?

It’s actually both pleasure and pressure, which I tend to enjoy. I’ve always preferred group activities with friends. Like going to the movies and of course, gaming. One could say the reason is due to being in MMORPG guilds ( WoW, Destiny, etc ), I’ve imagined the experience to be actually transferable. With a twist. That being text. LOL.

But I have to say, it’s definitely pleasure. I completely enjoy reading players reactions to updates and to each other and imagine their own joy in the process. Seeing the creativity that goes into making Character Sheets, their chosen images and the naming conventions, it’s all very satisfying. I recall running home from work during the RPF’s ‘Golden Era’ and happily reading all the posts I missed. That feeling is still captured today.

I think one of my final lessons would be to have an actual player cap for games, but so far, I don’t see a reason for one at the moment.

Well, besides being a successful GM for many years you also have been a very active player. I personally ave the pleasure to have you in Dark Sun right now and our clash in Eylseum I will probably never forget. Is that a conscious decision to keep GMing and RPing in a balance?

Pro-XE!!! *Laughs* That was a lot of fun, to be honest. If it were possible, I would join every game on the RPF, but alas, it is not. Every GM has a story worth telling, whether it be a long or short story. I’m always interested in stories and places given shape and form by the imagination ( like movies ), and how we as players react given these situations. Best part, I get to participate! LOL!

But, yeah. There aren’t enough hours in the day as is. Someone needs to fix that. LOL.

How do you choose the games you play in? What are you looking for in a game?

My first answer is mood, relatability and time. I love reading a good OP. If that holds my interest, there’s a great chance I’ll join. The mood of the game is very important, since it sets the tone for everything else that follows. Then, is it something I’m familiar with? The more familiar the better. If I have a question or concern, there’s always ‘Google’ for a quick crash course if it comes to that. LOL!

Lastly, will it gobble up my time? The answer is always yes. LOL! I believe in full immersion, because what’s the point if you don’t go all in. Again, we need more hours! Who do I talk to about that.

Someone having been around as long as you have has seen many players come and go. Anybody you miss?

Oh, wow! There are so many names, so many names. DarthXan318,LightSideApprentice, Imperial_Hammer, Winged_Jedi,Spycoder9,Teegirloo,Despised1,Tim Battershell (R.I.P), and many more. I pray they are all doing well in these times.

Anybody you wished to have played more with?

That’s easy, Winged_Jedi. I missed out on the genius that was Man Cubs. That game put him even higher up the rung! We never got a chance to GM each other or be in the same game. It almost happened once, but that game was never fully realized. Such is life.

In an age of more and more groups within the community you seem to be all over the board. Is that a strategy or pure chance? How is it to play under such different GMs with such different styles?

Hmm. Let’s say its chance. I trust what I feel and follow through with it. * (That wasn’t always the case, lol ). But yeah, there’s a lot of good content now. I mean, I’m missing out on Episode X, for crying out loud, by choice, lol. I know that game would have devoured me completely. LOL!!

I’m actually being spoiled in a manner of speaking. So many RPG flavors. I mean, there’s an Avatar game, a Yakuza game, I’m in several Star Wars games (never enough), got a Marvel game going, I’m in a thriller-survival game, it’s a good time in the RPF. A real moment worth savoring and remembering.

Any secret projects you wanna tease? Any regrets of games you never did or never joined?

Funny how these questions get partially answered by the time we get to them. Will there be another ‘Grey Way’ game in the future? Very possible. Just not at the moment, I think I have more than enough on my plate at the moment.

Hmmm.There is one game I did launch that could have done better, but sputtered out. Dragon Warriors: Bloodlines. At its core, it was a game based in the Dragonball Z universe. Similarly to the Xavier game, Darth_Elu (who was co-GMing at the time), his character was waiting for his big entrance scene, but it never happened. *Le sigh* (We chuckle about this now and again).
    Of course, Dragon Ball has evolved way past ‘Z’ at this time. Still, that’s one game I’d definitely revisit with the right audience/ player base.

Well, I did some digging as a good journalist does and found you actually had an ArtsThread once. The pictures are no longer available, but do you still do that?

*waves fist at photo bucket* Boo! I no longer use their services. LOL!!

Ah, it all began with art. That’s what I did first. I recall drawing nothing but Star Wars! X-Wings! TIE Fighters and Jedi. Vader was the only Sith at the time, lol.

I don’t draw as often as I should, though the passion for it is still there. My creative outlet is the RPF.

Last but not least, a question on you personally. Please only reveal what you feel comfortable with. But who is GreyJedi125? How does your online personality differ from your real persona?

Hmm. An existential question. *pinches self* Cogito ergo……something something. *LOL!

Well, greyjedi125 was an exceedingly private online persona who was more than happy to engage in intellectual exchanges, share ideas, stories, artwork, what have you, online, and nothing else. Personal information was always a taboo subject. Over the years, that position has changed somewhat, thanks to mutual trust earned by friends made online. I’m very grateful for those friendships, as they have continued over the years and grown stronger. I’m still a private person mind you, LOL! but a wee bit more willing to make connections than before. * ( I said a wee bit, don’t get crazy! LOLOL)

In RL, I’d say I’m passionate about life and have a strong moral code. I love music, movies, art, books and people. *( I don’t need to include Star Wars do I? ) Much like anyone else I suppose.

I mean, we like to use the word ‘community’, which signifies things we have in common. Well, Ok. Let’s find out what we truly have in common, then take it from there. *smile*

Thank you, Grey!

Thank you for the rare opportunity. Hopefully it doesn’t make me seem too anachronistic. Three Cheers to our wonderful community.

Seven Days again for you guys! Go get him!

Sith-I-5, Darth_Elu, Ameteth and 6 others like this.
  3. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I’m going to start us off with a barrage on my old friend.

HAVE A SEAT, MR. GREYJEDI125 (IF THAT EVEN IS YOUR REAL NAME)

First question: What does GMing mean to you? What does it do for you and your mental state? Do you find it relaxing and as easy as role playing as a player or harder and more demanding?

Second question: is a hotdog a sandwich? (Take this seriously)

Third question: What does role playing as a whole do for you? Being able to step into these multiple roles? What type of role playing experiences/games have you found most enjoyable?

Fourth question: WHAT IS DOOM UP TO IN MARVELS HEROES? *cough cough* Excuse me...

Fifth question: Youve been a consistent staple here in the RPF and an amazing, nurturing friend. I remember talking at length with you and writing combined posts together back in the days of Xavier’s and realizing “hey if I could write like this guy, I could really paint amazing vivid stories.”

Do you strive to be this consistent in real life? What does it mean to you to be helpful? And why are you so nice?

I want answers!

[​IMG]

4. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    LOL!! Blue Puma! I’m so glad you’re back in the RPF. I’ve seriously missed your energy!! It makes my heart smile. LOL!!

First question: What does GMing mean to you? What does it do for you and your mental state? Do you find it relaxing and as easy as role playing as a player or harder and more demanding?

Let me start by quoting @Mitth_Fisto signature: “Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.”

I find that statement to be so true for me. I cannot imagine a moment I’m not doing something imaginative or creative, because it’s been on going since the day I was born, or so I’m told. Creativity is like breathing and to live we must breathe.

Let's see...GMing has become a part of who and what I am. I’ve GMed my table top Game for longer than I’ve been in the RPF and still have several of my original players gaming with me...so, yeah. It's been a while. ( We went from a large group to a consistent smaller group. ) *Hi Five to all fellow table-top GM's in the house.* :-B

But to answer your question, GMing keeps me mentally healthy and sane. I find it both relaxing and up-lifting, transporting even. I dare say, because of your amazing work in 10ABY, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Being a player is easier because one focuses only on that character and their relationship to his or her situations and other characters. As a GM, I firmly believe in world building. There has to be a reason for everything and everyone. All inhabitants in said world has a name, habits, etc, even if I don’t know them all at the moment. In that sense, GMing is more complex, but so very rewarding when fellow players participate and are invested in what is happening.

I'd say the biggest gift to me as a GM, is when fellow players actually take time to read the whole update and not just their own posts. That's when you know you're doing it right.

Second question: is a hotdog a sandwich? (Take this seriously)

ROTFL!! That’s an interesting question. These two are not the same in my opinion ( seriously )[face_plain]:p

Third question: What does role playing as a whole do for you? Being able to step into these multiple roles? What type of role playing experiences/games have you found most enjoyable?

For me, RPing is very much like acting. One must commit to the role and everything that goes with that, every detail and nuance, as much as possible anyway. Stepping into these characters is not unlike living an alternate existence, but in a good way I mean ( because you don’t lose yourself in the process ). Becoming these different characters in these stories/games, allows you to experience things you otherwise could not. I get to feel their joy, their fears, their hopes; it is quite invigorating. I recall arranging work vacation so I could play the original KotOR ( Knights of the Old Republic ) uninterrupted.

Among the most rewarding experiences, hmmm. I would have to say, when folks still reference a particular game or event from a game many years later. The fact that a scene, character or event has a long lasting impact is an amazing reward. Like a scene in a book or a movie that we still talk about, not unlike the 'Luke, I am your Father' moment, I mean, that was mind blowing for all of us. When something like that happens in an RPG, its as precious as gold.

To me, full immersion is everything for a successful RPG experience.That's what made World of Warcraft 'King of MMORPGs' for a decade. Great story, great characters, great visuals, great game mechanics. They did have it all at one point. That's why I'm still trying to figure out how to recreate or approximate the 'table-top' experience online. Roll20, Discord and Fantasy Grounds are not quite there yet, but we are slowly getting closer, I can feel it.

Fourth question: WHAT IS DOOM UP TO IN MARVELS HEROES? *cough cough* Excuse me...

Something wonderful ( at least in his mind ). :D :p

*(You know I can’t tell you that, haha )

Fifth question: You’ve been a consistent staple here in the RPF and an amazing, nurturing friend. I remember talking at length with you and writing combined posts together back in the days of Xavier’s and realizing “hey if I could write like this guy, I could really paint amazing vivid stories.”

Do you strive to be this consistent in real life? What does it mean to you to be helpful? And why are you so nice?

Once you have experienced bad things, bad places or people, you learn to appreciate that which is good and you do what you can to promote positivity.

The results really speak for themselves. Good choices are not always easy, but they are always worth it. Bad choices - you will always regret those in the end, so why continue making them? More importantly, learn from mistakes and actively improve. Not just wish for improvement, but participate in improving.

We are what we do, we are what we practice. We are asked to be the change we wish to see in the world. If that change is for good, then this is great advise.

Generally speaking, I consider my neighbor as part of my extended family, because when we help others, we all benefit. After all, the second greatest commandment says: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself’.

Most people respond well to kindness; we have all experienced this at some point. It’s a good idea to continue like this, no? ;)

Hey, where did that soap box come from?

*steps down. :p

I hope I managed to answer all your questions without rambling too much, lol. *( cellphone going crazy while trying to focus on this, yikes! )

5. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    *high fives back as fellow tabletop RPer*

What system are you playing as tabletop? Are you GMing there, too?

6. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Thank you grey....and now time for the personal questions.

Did you give WOW classic a run when it launched last year?

7. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    *high fives back as fellow tabletop RPer*

What system are you playing as tabletop? Are you GMing there, too?

Hey Fins!! Wow, I had no Idea you did table top, W00 H00!!

I’ve done D20 and D10, but we’ve remained old school D6 with a slight mix of the other systems mentioned, culminating in a fantastic home-brew system that works perfectly for our needs. It’s been a glorious journey to be honest. We’ve merged Traveller with Cyberpunk, Vampire the Masquerade and AD&D, plus others into a brave new universe. *( I tried infusing Star Wars, but that didn't go too well as SW needs to be its own thing ). We’ve talked about turning our game into a script, but that would take a great deal of work given our gaming history. Who knows though.

Thank you grey....and now time for the personal questions.

Did you give WOW classic a run when it launched last year?

You know, I can’t do WoW anymore because of the dated graphics, so no vanilla for me. I wish Blizzard would relaunch with updated graphics, because WoW would look so amazing with current visual aesthetics. From what I understand, Overwatch was supposed be the new skins for WoW, but that all changed last minute. I’m glad they managed to get a successful game out of that. Remaining profitable in today’s gaming market says a lot for them.

Also, they need to make the next movie. Now. :)

8. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Are you kidding me? Been active since 1993, with only 1 years of a break in 2003. Not playing twice a week like we used to, but still playing.

greyjedi125 and darthbernael like this.
  9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    @greyjedi125 You've been one of my favorite writers on these forums since I got here over fifteen years ago, and though so many talented players have come and gone, some returning after long hiatuses and such, I don’t remember there ever being a time when you weren’t active here. So my question is, how do you keep things fresh and interesting? How do you keep from getting burnt out or succumbing to writer’s block?

And my second question, as a GM who has run so many large, successful games, what is your advice for other GMs who seek to follow in your footsteps with so much success? Is there a certain philosophy you follow with games you run, a certain way you prefer to interact with your players and allow the story to unfold?

10. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey Reynar! How have you been? It is good to see you back and active in the RPF!! Btw, I always wondered if you were aware that ‘Reynar’ also means ‘To Reign ( as a King)’ in spanish. :p

Hehe, on to your questions.

You've been one of my favorite writers on these forums since I got here over fifteen years ago, and though so many talented players have come and gone, some returning after long hiatuses and such, I don’t remember there ever being a time when you weren’t active here. So my question is, how do you keep things fresh and interesting? How do you keep from getting burnt out or succumbing to writer’s block?

Hmmm. Good questions. Well, I have taken leaves of absence before, especially during holiday season because of heavy work loads, etc. But I always come back home to the boards. :)

And just like any creative soul, I do get writer’s block and get burnt out from time to time, that is only natural. The thing is, I don’t like to inhabit those metal spaces, so I endeavor not to ’linger’ on the downside. On the plus side, I have close creative friends right here on the boards with whom I engage in creative ‘jams’, which writers and artist often do as well. That always helps to shake up the rust and re-kindle the creative engine. Also, stay current with the things you enjoy, like anime, books, movies, plays, etc.There are so many ideas going around, both good and bad ones, and many would look familiar to you.

How many times have you said, ‘Hey, I thought of that first!?” when you see or read something in popular media. Or find yourself saying, ‘I can do better than that!’ I think we all go through something similar. (In that case, refine that idea and bring it to the boards!) That’s also the time when you should take out your notepad and make notes!!

Incidentally, I sometimes borrow ideas from dreams, but not always, because you know….dreams! LOL!! *( like, uhm…where did THAT come from!?? LOL )

And my second question, as a GM who has run so many large, successful games, what is your advice for other GMs who seek to follow in your footsteps with so much success? Is there a certain philosophy you follow with games you run, a certain way you prefer to interact with your players and allow the story to unfold?

Ah, a good question indeed. Back in art school, I recall a distinction was quickly made between those who’s work always seemed to impressive and those who merely got a passing glance. The difference was quality and effort.

Those who did their assignment the night before could not ‘compete’ with the true artists, the ones who were ‘perfectionists’, who needed everything to be right and had a pride and joy in putting in the ‘work’, because it wasn’t work, it was a labor of love.

When you love doing something, it is not a burden, it is nothing but pleasure.

A bunch of us ( back in high school ) would go to the comic book store on New Release Day ( Tuesdays I believe ) and spent hours going through comics. We knew who the ‘real artists’ where from the hacks. We’d say, ‘Wow, so and so really did a great job with that gesture, the fingers are anatomically correct’, or we’d see an image with a hero who was cross-eyed! We’d wonder if the editor-in-chief missed looking at that page, or perhaps it was too late to send it for correction.

Those at Marvel often use the word Excelsior in their communications, because it meant something to them. As a creative person, I put my best effort and energy in what I do, even if the project is delayed- because once you publish it, it represents you. I remember loving Disney for its excellence in its animation, loving some mind blowing Anime and Manga for pushing the artistic envelope in visual media *( Akira was such a success because of this ). The reason we admire Square Enix, the Animatrix, Pixar, Studio Ghibli, The Russo brothers, Dave Filoni, etc, is because we readily recognize their excellence and their effort. That’s no ’happy accident’. Always do your best and go for the gold, whatever you do, no matter how big or small. Do not settle for less, don’t produce a sub-par product, because it shows.

As for interacting with players, well, they are the life blood of the game as far as I’m concerned, always have been. The GM is just the tour guide. The GM knows all the good facts and secret details of the adventure, so his job is to present the stage and make the tour a fun experience.

Above all, listen to the players and remain as flexible as possible. For one, they can’t read the GM’s mind and can only draw from their own experiences, so they are bound to make ‘mistakes’ now and again. Never a problem. Just explain what is possible ( with words and pictures ) and what is not. Be honest and forthcoming. Treat your players the way you wish to be treated as a player. Be solution minded.

In addition, the Reference Thread is a good tool to expand on in-game knowledge and details that are not readily apparent in-game, Cliff notes for the game as it were. We’ve all used Wookiepedia at some point, so the effect is similar.

The OOC Thread is a must, as it builds on the community aspect of gaming, as well as prompting discussions on the game it references.

I believe @Sinrebirth made a mention of having several plot points for his games and 'the rest pretty much writes itself'. This should entirely be the default building block for RP games. Both the story and the players benefit, imo. I use this rule for my table-top games and it works amazingly.

What determines success is not a desire for praise or accolades, but the love of doing your best. In doing so, I have no doubt you’ll hear someone say, ‘Excelsior’.

Dang, I do ramble on. [face_blush]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  11. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Wow, sounds like you have made your tabletop version of Kingdom Hearts

Thanks for the quote, it let me know what I was missing:p
    So, besides WoW any other computer games sucked you in?

12. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey, Mitthy!! I’m glad you are able to come out and socialize!! :)

Wow, sounds like you have made your tabletop version of Kingdom Hearts

To be honest, we’ve had no ‘Disney’ instances in the game thus far. Right now we have some High Tier Sorcerers trying to keep realities from colliding and Pantheons from coming to blows against one another. Just another day in the multiverse! :p

TRIVIA: I did finish Kingdom Hearts I and II

So, besides WoW any other computer games sucked you in?

I wish, lol. World of Warcraft owned my soul for 7 long years, lol. ( I know, I couldn’t believe it either. ), and nothing has been able to duplicate that experience. Destiny and Destiny 2 did well for a FPS, but ultimately did not manage to capture that quintessential EPICNESS that Wow so effortlessly delivered. A great game from Bungie just the same.

I played Final Fantasy XIV online for three years, I believe: Square Enix has a great looking product, but the stories are for a younger audience and some of the quest progression is prohibitive ( they need to fix that ). I’m completely sold on the art style and world design.

Now Dragon Age is an amazing game with stories that I love. BioWare has such a gem with this franchise, but they haven’t turned it into a MMORPG for some unknown reason. Instead they created Anthem which sadly, bombed horribly because of all the bugs it’s had and still has ( yes, I tried to stay loyal ). The game is simply unplayable.

Right now, I’m enjoying Warframe ( on console ), though its fun, nothing can replace the Mighty Warcraft. I’m still praying for Blizzard to do a relaunch.

Lastly, I have relegated myself to become a ‘spectator only’ when it comes to Street Fighter V. The FGC ( Fighting Game Community ) has evolved beyond anything I ever thought possible. I get too frustrated under pressure to even think of competing in E-Sports ( too many broken joysticks! RPG’s are by far a lot more fun an cooperative. Let’s go kill the Lich King!! ).

I still follow Capcom Cup Tournaments now and then, and keep tabs on the careers of players like Smug, Daigo, Tokido, Problem X and others.

Yeah, I guess you could say I do a little gaming. LOL!!

If the Oasis from ‘Ready Player One’ is ever created, make no mistake, I’d try to be first online. :)

Quick question for you Mitthy. Your character in Genesis Gate, was that inspired in anyway by Middle-earth: Shadow of War? ;)

Darth_Elu and darthbernael like this.
  13. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    So what would you say where the three pieces of Media most influential on your creative process?

14. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Greetings Lord T!! Always a pleasure to speak with you.

So what would you say where the three pieces of Media most influential on your creative process?

A great question.

Above all other media I’ve consumed, Star Wars stands at the very top and shall never be dethroned, no matter what. Everything changed after Star wars, my thinking, my imagination, everything. I was captured in ways I could not describe, even until this day. The Saga continues as the saying goes.

Telling stories was no longer about big explosions or speed or big punches on the screen or panel. Concepts of light, dark, good, evil, order, sacrifice, heroism….it was all a whirlwind of wonder. Depth really mattered ( who knew! ), yeah, I think Star Wars was a transformative experience for those who connected to the deeper messages that went beyond mere entertainment.

The Phoenix Saga from the X-Men was also very influential. Between John Byrne’s artwork, Chris Claremont’s writing and the many events leading to the Dark Phoenix, which culminated in Jean Grey’s ultimate sacrifice, I hadn’t realized how enraptured I was until issue #137 when Jean Grey sacrificed her life. I was actually crying when I first read it. ( Wait…what?? this is not a comic book, JEEAAAANNNNN!! ) LOL!

Making us really care for a character was a powerful part of storytelling.

I even heard stories that folks sent flowers addressed to Jean Grey to the Marvel offices at the time. That was a powerful moment in comic book history.

TRIVIA: Because of the issue’s popularity and sales, the editor-in-chief at the time mandated the writer to resurrect the character. Jean was supposed to stay dead, but we know the power of greed. Now ‘dying’ has become a joke in comics. Ain’t nobody staying dead. LOL!! ( Ain’t that right, Kryptonian? )

Third, we have The Matrix. That’s the only movie I’ve seen 6 times in the theatre. I saw ESB five times.

The Matrix was another mind blowing experience for me. I delighted in everything about it, the look, the music the fighting choreography ( by the legendary Yuen Woo-Ping ), the story. I consumed it greedily! I think everything I drew that year looked like it walked out of the Matrix itself, lol. I’d bought the complete box set ( Enter, Reloaded & Revolution + Animatrix ) years later. For me, I had days when I would imagine that ‘reality’ was in fact a dream and the ‘dreaming’ was reality. I can still see my reaction in the theatre!! WAIT WHAAATTT? JUST….*mushroom* LOL!!

Good times, good times.

The Matrix was a perfect example of quintessential world building. There was a reason for everything in the movie, and you believed it. So good.

Of course, I’ve been influenced by many other works, but we can continue that in a separate conversation.

I hope that worked as a suitable answer.

W00T!!

[face_peace]

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Mr Grey, kind sir!

What would you describe as your best game, and indeed, your favourite character that you have created?

What is your definitive RP moment, which sticks in your mind?

I know that anime also touches upon your work. What anime would you describe as an influence upon you?

16. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I can’t help but notice the BioWare love but a serious lack of Mass Effect. WHAT GIVES OLD MAN??

17. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Sinre!! W00T!! :D

Excellent questions! Hmmm.

What would you describe as your best game, and indeed, your favourite character that you have created?

Oh wow. How to answer that without feeling like I’m betraying my other characters, lol.

For Best Game, I can easily say Xaviers 2, because it was very X-Men in feel and had the largest cast of characters and players, plus it had a great deal of dramatic moments. GMing Xaviers 2 was an absolute joy and the one game I really felt sad when closing. I’m just happy and honored that folks really enjoyed it.

As for favorite character…hmmmm. I suspect you know the answer to that one, lol.

Lord Manticore, the Vehement Zabrak, to date is my most fleshed out character and a proud Sith. He has gone through a great deal of challenges brought on by the Sith Order and he tells me he is ready for more. Imagine that. LOL!!

What is your definitive RP moment, which sticks in your mind?

The whole Typhojem story arc in the Sith Trials. That was well organized insanity and I’m not just saying that because its you, LOL. I had a blast through all of it, even when losing to Darth Haretisch in a duel. In addition, there's that building leveling battle between Manticore and Jedi Master K'Kruhk!! That was a real nail biter.
    Note: If he never sees Abeloth again, it would be too soon. :p

However, Manticore vs Luke Skywalker…That was a brilliant set up and personal hallmark for Manticore as far as RPing and myself as a player.

I know that anime also touches upon your work. What anime would you describe as an influence upon you?

There are a ton of anime that I deeply enjoy, however; Naruto Shippuden stands as a giant in what I consider the standard of excellence in both writing an animation. There are so many amazing moments in Naruto Shippuden and so many fantastic characters, I could spend weeks just talking about them.

From the first appearance of Minato ( Naruto’s dad ), to the Chunin Exams, The Great Ninja Wars story arcs, All the Uchiha stories, The Nine Tails story arc, there is so much detail and so many feels, you actually grow and get to know these characters. It's a complete experience and I’m very grateful I was able to ‘live’ in the Leaf Village while it lasted.

Note: I never thought Naruto would top my love for DBZ, but it did, if by a millimeter. :p

And btw, I claim Chernabog. [face_laugh]

Hey Blue Puma! :D

I can’t help but notice the BioWare love but a serious lack of Mass Effect. WHAT GIVES OLD MAN??

I know, I know!! I was probably cheating on Mass Effect by playing a different game at the time. It’s one of my gaming regrets. LOL!!

18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, never played it, never played Kingdom Hearts (until the mobile app this past week if that counts), never played FFXIV (until this week but enjoying the Archer story I am working on so far although it is heavy in the grind), never played WoW, never played Destinies, never watched Ready Player One. . .there are many things I have never played or watched, but I have learned about through weird osmosis. So yes, I think I was influenced or inspired by it but not truly. I had the idea of the rumor of what it was in the back of my mind and the scene from the movie where they had to save Frodo from being lost to that wraith world. My inspiration was the 'Huh, what if they didn't save him?' concept. Only I don't want to play the Shortest Wraith, so I have my own backstories in mind which apparently counts for nothing, just like the points in Who's Line :p

Side note I think I am a third of the way through the first Mass Effect game at the moment, so it's not too late Grey! ;)

Question back, is there a current Animated show that you enjoy and are drawing inspiration from?

19. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Hey Mitthy! Thanks for the quick response. I think you would enjoy watching ‘Ready Player One’, though I hear the book is much better.

I remember when ‘Battle Angel Alita’ was a popular Manga. The movie was an acceptable adaption, imo.

Question back, is there a current Animated show that you enjoy and are drawing inspiration from?

I don’t have a current Animated series to watch and I am in search of one.

The last thing I viewed that was of interest was Kengan Ashura on Netflix. It’s basically an OP Martial Arts/ Arena Combat sports anime. It was interesting, but not very deep. Altered Carbon: Resleeved was also interesting as an animated feature, but again, light in the story department.

An AMV on Youtube led me to Crunchy Roll, where I tried to watch ‘Hitori no S h i t a’ ( the last words keeps getting censored ) which is actually a Chinese animation. Again, very interesting, but there’s lots of teen angst that’s just not for me. However, I’m waiting for Season 3, because the images that originally drew my interest are from that season, and Crunchy Roll is only up to Season 2. *( The art style in Season 3 is quite amazing, and the fighting is a lot more fluid and realistic, so I shall wait ).

After surviving Neon Genesis Evangelion, I no longer have the capacity to tolerate super emo- screamo characters, so I had to pass on ‘My Hero Academia’ because of this. The Art style is fantastic, so I just content myself by watching the fights, lol. As for Mob Psycho 100, I really love the concept and some of the visualization, but again, it failed to capture me. So, here I am, as the search continues.

*Presently, I’m also waiting for Avatar live action on Netflix [face_waiting]

20. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Heh, you’re welcome, but that was down to luck as I had to take care of something for Rebel Legion and I have weak willpower about checking on here.

It’s not an addictive behavior to hope for good new updates when most new shows on hold with no lights in the tunnel...right? :p

Thanks for the reminder, a couple shows I said would check out but never have.

So, question: we mostly have some music we sometimes at least like to listen to when posting. Do have music you enjoy but cannot post/write to?

21. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Mitthy!! W00T!! Glad to be of assistance with unintentional reminders. LOL!

So, question: we mostly have some music we sometimes at least like to listen to when posting. Do have music you enjoy but cannot post/write to?

I always post and write to music, always, always, because every scene has its own mood, its own theme, its own essence. I don't think I could write in a silent room to be honest. I mostly write to EPIC or Orchestral music. I listen to harder music when the scene is more dramatic ( mostly sith stuff, lol ).

There is one genre of music I can't write to and that's Dance Music. Because I will literally start dancing, LOL!! Or go to Youtube and start looking for more or similar artists. So no writing to Dance music. *( writing to Prince's 'KISS', is literally impossible.)

22. Master Vo

Master Vo Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2017
    Questions continuing on the music topic:

What is your favourite band/group?

Do you have a favourite soundtrack from a movie/show/game that you end up listening a lot to when writing ?

23. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Master Vo!! Good to see you my friend. :)

Questions continuing on the music topic:

What is your favourite band/group?

Do you have a favourite soundtrack from a movie/show/game that you end up listening a lot to when writing ?

Wow. This is a very hard question because I happen to like a bit of music.

My favorite group has changed over the years and will likely continue to change.

Let’s see, counted among my favorites, but not limited to: Def Leopard, Metallica, Killswitch Engage, Deftones, I See Stars, Linkin Park, Eurythmics, Prince and the Revolution, Queen, you get the idea.

My all time top composer is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, followed by Franz Schubert, J.S. Bach, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Jeremy Soule, Ivan Torrent plus many more.

There was a time I thought I was going to marry Sade because I thought she was literally singing to me! LOL!! *( as if….lol! ) It was either her or Felicity Lott (Soprano).

As a general rule, I listen to ‘Epic Scores’ when creating. The sound of a full orchestra and choral voices are ambrosia to my ears.

Lately though, I’ve been listening to a lot of Jeremy Soule’s Skyrim OST ( let’s not address a certain scandal here ).

I recall not being a big fan of the latest Transformers movie series, but really liking the soundtracks for them.

Let’s see: Soundtracks I’ve had on rotation ( for over 4 weeks ): The Matrix, Queen of the Damned, Lord of the Rings, Inception, Aliens 2, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Terminator 2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T. The Wrath of Khan, The Highlander, Dracula and more. For games: Halo, World of Warcraft, Street Fighter 3rd Strike ( Jazz inspired ), Destiny and Destiny 2, Namco’s R: Racing Evolution ( more Jazzy goodness ), Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, FFVII, FFX and the list goes on as well.

So, yeah, just a little night music.

What kind of music inspires you? :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  24. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Sade is so pretty. And she sings so wonderfully.

[​IMG]

LOVE LOVE LOVE HER

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    darthbernael likes this.
  25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I mean, she’s no Jorja Smith... :cool: