main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Warp Me!" - Star Trek: Lower Decks [Paramount+ Animated Series]

Discussion in 'Community' started by PymParticles , Jul 1, 2020.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I was actually thinking just the other day when that would come out...

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And here's a sort-of teaser trailer, though it's basically the poster:

[​IMG]

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Looks like they're going after younger viewers. Resistance is futile!!!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a different, CGI, animated series being developed for Nickelodeon, supposedly titled "Star Trek: Prodigy", that will be aimed at younger viewers. Lower Decks is from one of the writers for Rick & Morty. It is a comedy, though.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Is there any info on what service it'll be available on outside of the US?
    Discovery is on Netflix and Picard is on Prime here.

7. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes, the intent is for this to be "slightly more adult" according to Kurtzman.

Only for Canada, but nothing yet for anywhere else.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also interesting to note that the poster has been intentionally stylized to echo the folded posters that would come inside various sci-fi/movie fandom magazines in the 90's.

9. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    It makes sense given this is set a year after Star Trek: Nemesis. It's firmly in the world of 90-era Trek. That's a nice little touch, and I really like the tagline.

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer!

"We live on a spaceship! Nobody is dying from a spear wound!"

11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, it looks all right. I'll watch it for sure, but I can't say I'm overly excited for it.

EDIT: And it seems it still hasn't been revealed where those of us outside of the US/Canada will be able to watch it.
    If it's not on Netflix or Prime I probably won't watch it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  12. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    What a waste of time? So many things they could do with so many characters that are available in star trek and this is the best they could come up with?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... that's exactly the point. They wanted to do something totally different like the episode "Lower Decks"...

Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  14. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    Maybe some people want different, I don't. I so badly want something like a Deep space nine sequel.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

You have one, it's called Picard

16. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    Picard didn't tell us how Bajor, Cardassia, the dominion and the space station DS9 are like now. That's what i really want.

Sarge likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, but not everyone is you -- and not everything is for you. :p Discovery isn't for everyone, neither is Picard... everyone seems to be looking forward to Strange New Worlds...

18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Maybe in season 2 there'll be a throw away reference then it can move on with telling new stories.

Don't get me wrong,I loved DS9 but we don't need a sequel to it.

We need new stories

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, if you want DS9 sequel -- there are books; picks up the story exactly before the relaunch was stopped and everything go split back in.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Should also consider that there's no way that the budget for a half-hour, animated comedy would have covered a proper DS9 sequel (or any live action series). And certainly wasn't decided upon in lieu of such a series.

It's just another type of show to expand the genre, subject and format selection within the franchise- this animated comedy series for adults, the Nickelodeon animated series for kids, Short Treks jumping around formats, mediums and timeline settings while they have 2 flagship shows (3, if Section 31 happens) building out a new, interconnected era and another series following up on the previous TNG/DS9/VOY interconnected era.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Definitely got a slightly less bitter and graphic Rick and Morty kinda vibe. The joke about manually pumping the heart while crying felt very Rick and Morty. The "we're allll the way over here" gag sells what the theme would be. So I'm guessing this is the official post Nemesis fleet uniforms, the uniforms in Picard looked similar as well. Of course there is artistic animated license to take into consideration, people didn't suddenly have squares or ovals for heads either I'm guessing.

They haven't confirmed TNG era cameos yet but heavily hinted at it. I would assume whoever was working on Picard would be the most likely candidates.

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    There's a Klingon that looks a lot like Worf in the background of the Kronos shot (44 seconds in).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    @The2ndQuest -- Mav brought up a good point yesterday, which is that this seems like someone looked at Detours and said "hey, something like that could work in Star Trek" and here we are... dunno if you're also getting those vibes, but think you're one of the only people in this thread who remembers that Celebration panel...

24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    This might not look brilliant, but it certainly looks a lot better than Detours.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Says you. Detours looked hilarious...

The2ndQuest likes this.