main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Rho Var
    Carratos

The party is in the Stacked Deck, because of course it is. It is the Pirate haunt, a literal place where everyone knows your name. Mostly because the bar keeps a current roster of the team posted behind the bar. I like this place it's almost like an unofficial Pirates' Hall of Fame. Of course there was the shrine to Iris, right next to chapel of Cavanaugh which looked to be a part of a complex to the Old Salt Line. And the pictures of the Galactic Cup winning teams, 283, 291, 293, I don't know if I'll ever lift the cup, it's been 5 years since the last time and we haven't gotten a good shot.

Sure we got close, we got to the final, only to see fall way short against the Miners. A team we were going to face here soon. I can't help, but feel the weight of history on me. Looking into the eyes of those teams, seeing all they accomplished. The 283 team in particular, the Road Warriors, they kept playing while their home was on fire, while their loved ones were trapped. They kept going, they took the league by storm and won out in the end. It was amazing, surprised they haven't made a movie about it yet.

Though maybe if what has been said about Iris's Boyfriend being a filmmaker, maybe it would come about...eventually. It sends me on a spiral that leads me to wonder who would play whom in the holo about the event. Knowing Carratos, it would likely be a bunch of Carratosian actors, or would be shot on Carratos. Though that presupposes that the holo isn't being run by Courscant production team or shot on a planet with the best tax breaks. Zara tapps me on the shoulder drawing me out of my musing.

"You here Rho?"

"Yeah, sorry just, you know looking around."

"Not too packed right now, which is good gives us some time to ourselves." I look around the table seeing only a few members of the team, Might Mo, Big J, Lintra, Vahva, not many others took the call from Zara it seemed. They were busy beings I suppose. Had other things going on. But it is nice to be sitting with teammates.

"...Right so some Miner's fans were sitting in our bar, talking poodoo about our team." Might Mo speaks.

"So we kindly ask them to leave." Big J chimes in, "They said no, so we put hands on them…"

"Something that they didn't like, but they were a little too drunk to really put up a fight…"

"Though we had a few to drink." Mo continued taking a shot of rum. "And well, we taught them what it means to step into our den and talk smack about our team." The burly back rubs her neck giving a slight smile. "We ended up spending a day in lock up, and missed our next game.

"We were only lucky that the fans didn't really press charges."

"Must have realized they were in the wrong." Mo gumbles.

"Still got chewed out by coach after everything was said and done. Even though the fans lauded us as heroes, standing up to the offworlders."

"We drank free for a week. Almost made up for not playing that week."

"Ah…" Zara jumps in, "So you're the ones to thank for the 'How to interact with opposing fans' training we got during orientation. I thought that was weird."

"Yeah that was us. They didn't think it was a problem until we came along." Mo and J laugh wrapping arms over each other's shoulders. "Troublemakers the two of us."

I Let out a little chuckle remembering the orientation I went though, and yes the how to interact with opposing fans section. I remember they said not to engage if the fans were quote 'Talkn' Smack.' Though that is easier said than done. I take another sip of my drink just sitting back and letting the veterans around me tell their stories. Close games, locker room antics, the whole thing. I give a skeptical look as Mo tells the story of 'Cutty' punching her stall so hard she broke her hand after a tough loss.

Though I do remember seeing the showdown between Sabah and Lerouex it was like they were fighting for a championship belt or something. It makes things clear in my mind. Never push Sabah, she will take your head off. The fun part apparently came after the fight, in the locker room the team awarded her the win by unanimous decision. A bit of lighthearted banter after a tough loss…

Bakura

Well, that was...something. I'm left stunned by the shellacking we just took. It was a slaughter, our defense couldn't stop anything, and the Miners never let off the gas. We were just crushed under the weight of their offense. Even after taking their lunch the last game, we couldn't figure out a way to stop them.

I stare blankly into the distance blinking slowly.

"Well," Zara says coming to sit next to me. "Looks like the Miner's finally dug up some offense." She said with a slight grin.

"Didn't know they made shafts that deep." Erza pipes up.

"Eh...they just found a small vien nothing they'll run it dry eventually." Big J adds.

"Still quite a lode of points they put on us." Mo, arms crossed, gumbles.

"This midfield is take it ore leave it really." Natsu replies with a big grin on his face. His partner Grey rolls his eyes.

"They smelt something on the field I guess." the other midfielder says putting his head back.

"Well at least we were able to find a gem of a goal." I say trying to be helpful.

"Shame it was a little rough around the edges." Iris replies.

"Well what do you expect the Miner's rejected it the first time...needed a few more cuts."

The team is tired, but not too tired to run their mouths, hopefully that is a good sign...I hope.

TAG: @Trieste

I_am_Kooky and Trieste like this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir today.

298 Week 4 Results
    Coruscant Senators at Mando’ade Mercs (18-19)
    Carratos Pirates at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (7-14)
    Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers (8-10)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Concordia (28) Tatooine (28) Cloud City (28) and Atzerri (28)

Skimmer Ade League Week Four Results
    Thyferra Force @ Concordia Crusaders (15-26)
    Atzerri Bandits @ Druckenwell Marksmen (5-14)
    Cloud City Sky Captains @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (13-4)

Tags:
    @Jedi Gunny @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn @Trieste

Trieste likes this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Alana Kirt
    Star Tours Field at the Nouvelle Orleans Memorial Coliseum, Nouvelle Orleans, Bakura

What a stupid stadium name. But then again, this was the College of Daddy’s Money’s work. It didn’t surprise her in the slightest.

They weren’t really playing a university called that. The College of Deredith & Millicent (named for the founding first couple of Bakura, Deredith & Millicent Arden) was a rich and storied institution--which was to say it was full of the children of the nouveau riche and had lots of stories about lowering their academic standards to admit said children.

Everything about this place was a trainwreck and nothing made Alana happier than beating on what was once famously called “the last bastion of the incompetent rich.”

Once again, it wasn’t even close. The Blue Birds had pounded the Colonials to the point that much of the second half had been essentially garbage time. It was the sort of score that impressed offworld rankings voters who didn’t bother to watch the Outer Rim games and based their votes solely on the box score. Alana knew that her team hadn’t truly been tested yet this season, especially not since they’d gone on their current tear through the conference. That test would come, but it wouldn’t be today.

After the game’s handshakes Alana was grabbed for the now-obligatory HSN postgame interview. “Coach K, another big win for the Blue Birds. You think it’s likely you’re going to be in the top 16 and a playoff spot tomorrow?”

“That’s up to the voters. What I’m most concerned about is if we’re in the top 16 when the season is over and done,” Alana replied.

“Next week is the annual trip to Salis D’aar where you’ll be facing Tiarest. They’re the only Bak10 team in the modern playoff era to win a GCAA championship. How important is that game in continuing to make the case that the Blue Birds should be in the playoff conversation?”

“Every game is important in the schedule and is part of our resume,” Alana deflected. “Honestly, I’ll think about Tiarest tomorrow. We’re going to celebrate this win today.”

“It was a big win that your team made look easy. Congratulations.”

It was almost as if the reporter had wanted Alana to say it was a big, easy win, but she wasn’t going to fall for that.

Aerloingeas Flight 844, Nouvelle Orleans to Cape Suzette

With all the credits in college limmie these days, a lot of universities chartered starships directly from carriers to privately shuttle their teams to and from games. The craft were often specifically outfitted for the needs of athletes, especially in interplanetary conferences where teams might run practices or workout sessions during flight.

While a few Bak10 programs did so, credit-strapped UBCS was not one of them. Alana and the rest of the team flew commercial whenever they had to hit the road, almost always on Aerloingeas, one of Bakura’s regional intraplanetary atmospheric transporters. Since they only flew to destinations on Bakura, they could use cheaper, cleaner fuel compared to what starships required.

More importantly to the players, they also had beverage service--and that meant overpriced alcohol that hit you nicely at 10,700 meters. It was just what an amped up bunch of college athletes wanted after a solid win. Whether the other passengers wanted the college athletes after said drinks...that was another story, but if they were complaining to the cabin crew those thoughts weren’t being passed to Alana and the team at the back of the craft. (It probably helped that most of the remaining seats were probably UBCS alums who were just as exultant over the win.)

Alana was sitting sideways in her too-narrow seat, her legs hanging in the aisle over the armrest as a small cup, half-filled with a drink, dangled from one hand. “You played well today,” she said to the being across the aisle from her.

“We all played well,” Shasta Carp said, deflecting the praise. The Ishi Tib senior had been named the captain of the team for the season. She’d been here through the Chrissen years when expectations had been high and the best they’d ever pulled off was a third-place finish. As far as Alana was concerned, Carp deserved this season more than anyone else.

“I mean it. There are a lot of seniors who would give McLita an elbow to the face instead of passing the boloball to her,” Alana said, giving a single nod of her head towards the freshman. Rorie was hanging over the back of her seat laughing with a couple of the other forwards, another strong performance from the freshman.

“Maybe a Colonial would, but even when we’ve been bad we’ve been a team, first and foremost,” Shasta said.

“And that’s why we need to have this conversation,” Alana said, swinging her feet back down to the floor of the cabin and leaning on one arm towards Shasta. “That attitude is what makes the best pro players, but you’re competing against the Colonials and Pioneers of this galaxy who are going to pad their own stats by hogging the ball to look like studs on the stat sheet. You’re the kind of being who should be in the ELL, even if your stats don’t reflect it. There are only so many pro scouts and we can’t guarantee they’re going to give you a look. I want to make sure they know your value when the season is over--whenever that is.”

The Ishi Tib cocked her head. “College coaches usually aren’t that invested in their player’s pro careers. We’ve done all we can do for you by then and you’re on the recruiting trail.”

“Maybe the coach of UBTV, VCU, or KMI is because high schoolers fall over themselves to join their programs, but they’re short sighted. You can only make so many recruiting trips and calls, but if a high schooler and their parents see a coach who goes to bat for them if they’ve got what it takes, that’s even better than a visit,” Alana said. “It needs be part of our value proposition here. You willing to be the first one over the top?”

“You kidding? Korriban yeah,” Shasta said.

Alana smiled and turned her head to catch the eye of an attendant. “Could we get a couple more drinks?”

Cape Suzette-Takona Interstellar Spaceport, CapeTak, Bakura

The team disembarked at the regional terminal of CapeTak Spaceport, as it was commonly known thanks to its midway position between the cities of Cape Suzette and Takona, a couple hours later. They crossed the concourse in a flock of sky blue teamwear provided by the university (one of the things that GCAA rules allowed the school to provide in an unlimited amount to athletes as it was considered “athletic apparel”).

Alana had paused for some holos with Aerloingeas employees and lagged the team in exiting the terminal. That meant that she heard the commotion from a distance. Her instinct told her something was up and the coach in her said it couldn’t be good. She hurried her pace to push her way forward to mitigate whatever was going down. The last thing she needed was Morzza breaking a hand in a fistfight or someone recording one of her players insulting someone with their datapad...

An even larger mass of sky blue was waiting for them outside the spaceport. When they saw Alana they started cheering. Far from being some disaster, the Blue Birds had been ambushed by an impromptu pep rally.

“THIR-TEEN! THIR-TEEN! THIR-TEEN!” they were chanting.

Before Alana could ask someone, anyone a question, she found Gerald by her side. “It seems HSN released their new rankings while we were in flight,” he said with mild amusement. He handed her his datapad.

12. University of Kuat
    13. UB Cape Suzette
    14. Technical institute of Jakku
    15. Balmorra State University
    16. Lorrd University
    17. Derrling College of Technology
    18. Prytis College of Natural Sciences

“Holy Sithspit,” Alana said to no one in particular. She’d been told by the HSN reporter it was coming. She’d known herself it was coming. Now it was here.

For the first time since the institution of the playoffs, UB Cape Suzette was ranked in the top 16 of all GCAA limmie programs.

“Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!” Alana shouted as she thrust her fists above her head and everyone outside of the roared.

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Harle Quinn: “C’mon--after a finish like that you can’t tell me college limmie is really more interesting than the ELL?!”
      • “Since apparently you’re all a bunch of dummies I’m going to have to take matters into my own hands. How? It’s a secret plan I’m working on right now.”
    • Cavanaugh: “We let that one get away from us.”
      • “Yeah, we deserve to be ranked last in the league right now. This needs to be our wakeup call.”
      • “We’re two games off the lead. We can turn this season around, but it needs to begin on Nar Shaddaa next week.”
    • Shay Dionne on whether the team’s aggregate performance thus far will result in call ups from Cloud City: “We evaluate these things every week. Barring an injury, we’re taking this same roster to Six Boroughs.”
    • Alexa Superspy on losing her second consecutive game to her hometown Starkillers: “Both teams played their hearts out. The score reflects that.”
      • “I’m going to have some surprises for them in three weeks.”
    • Bast Amun: “I know we lost, but I think we did OK at midfield. Minnerva and I got to remember why we don’t play together anymore, but I don’t think either of us got the better of the other.”
      • “Gidget did have some trouble with Jul at points, but when you’re playing someone with her genes there’s no shame in that.”
        • When asked who Gidget is: “My midfield partner. Duh.”
          • The other Miners midfielder is Miley Gaskin, known as Gasket.
            • Amun: “That’s what I said.”
    TAG: @Runjedirun @Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs finally get their second win of the season..."

"We've got some great guests lined up for later in the show but first, yeah as usual let's talk about the Mercs."

"A win is a win..."

"Except when it gives me a heart attack, and that's just what happened as the Mercs pulled out a 19 to 18 win of the previously unbeaten Senators in front of an as usual sold out Meshla Vhetin."

"Heck of a win to move the Mercs back to the .500 mark at two and two on the season."

"One and one against teams without the bonus roll."

"And that with a point differential in the minus thirty range."

"Worst point differential in the league, and that's a result of the worst defense in the league, and both by a fair margin."

"Lucky then to be sitting at the break even point four games into the season..."

"Very lucky."

"And if they don't fix that defense soon I can't see that luck holding out."

"Can't argue with that, the defense right now couldn't stop a nosebleed..."

"That sounds familiar."

"...and the offense isn't in much better shape, though they are just below league average there."

"Yeah it's not great, but not terrible."

"That sounds familiar too."

"But if, if they can get the defense to somehow start playing better..."

"Which is easier said than done."

"...they just might have a shot at making a run at this thing."

TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Trieste and Vehn like this.
  7. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    GM APPROVED!!!!

Character Sheet

Name:
    Franc Danshire
    Species: Human
    Birth Year: 240 ABY
    Physical appearance: Average build, 1.85 m, blonde hair
    [​IMG]
    Homeworlds: Rydonni Prime
    Relation to Team: Business Man
    Brief Biography:
    Franc Danshire has been CEO of Danshire Construction for over 40 years. His father was murdered just before Franc was to go off to school at the University of Ryell Clemency forcing Franc to drop out. Early on it looked like Franc was going to be the last of his family to own the construction company. He fell into a deep hole of depression and alcohol. But then, on the brink of financial ruin and a looming divorce, something happened that he never thought he would see in his lifetime: an Elite League Limmie squad on his homeworld of Rydonni Prime.

The beautiful game gave him a new focus, and a new revenue stream. The Danshire’s were more than just simple owners of a construction company, they were one of the Five Families on Rydonni Prime. The new influx of off world visitors, and their credits, helped Franc’s side businesses like bookmaking and bootlegging to grow. Flush with new capital and renewed passion, Franc and his wife had two daughters.

Now as he comes into his later years, he has watched his new found passion of Elite Limmie slide away from his homeworld as the Monarchs were relegated after their last Galactic Cup disappointment. The team ownership stopped paying the players and staff, causing the team to go into receivership. When the Monarchy was reformed under the rule of Waiphi M’nrydo, Duke of Rythii, he had no desire for the crown to run a sports team, as he was once the owner of the now defunct Rydonni Prime Knights Major League Lightball team.

Franc has satiated his desire for the sport by watching limmie matches at Annemarie’s, his youngest daughter, academy. During one match another parent off-handedly commented that Franc should buy the Monarchs and show the recently re-established royal family how to operate a business. Franc laughed it off at the time, but now that seed has started to take hold.

IC: Franc Danshire
    Monarchs Stadium
    Prior to the 298 PLL Week 7

Franc sat in his current “office” at the construction site formerly called Monarchs Stadium. High fencing covered in opaque material to keep prying eyes out. The first item on Franc’s agenda when he purchased the Monarchs from the Crown was restoring the team’s home pitch to its former glory.

With the Monarchs gradual decline over the past few years, attendance also fell off at an exponential rate. Last year they were practically pulling people in off the street to just put bodies in the seats. They had not sold out a game since being demoted to the Premier League, even with a playoff berth last season, the bulk of the fans in the stadium were rooting for the Alsaken Flyers.

It made him sick to his stomach. That was the grain that broke the bantha’s back and made him realize that if he did not take the initiative the Monarchs would just be another failed professional limmie squad. The next morning he called up his bookkeeper and they hatched a plan to shore up his legitimate ledger, the one that they showed to auditors at least.

He thought back to during the press conference announcing the transfer of ownership, Danshire’s first order of business was the restoration of the Monarchs’ home field.

“How many of you remember the first time that you stepped foot into the Grande Villa? I do. It was just after it was finished being built as my company was one of many that were hired by the K’ntarr’s to get it completed on time. I felt like I had stepped into a holy place, the home of limmie on Rydonni Prime. To me it had become the electrum standard for all stadiums to follow. But now it and its reputation has become tarnished, and I for one will not stand for it. That is why, as of this morning, all of the Monarchs’ PLL 298 games will be played as away games. During that time Danshire Construction will be restoring Monarchs Stadium to her former glory. No more gimmicks, no more grandstands on top of grandstands, no more being a shrine to one man’s ego. It is time for our focus to be on the team on the field and not the structure surrounding it.”

Franc had been running Danshire Construction for ten years at that point and they were on the brink of collapse. The death of his father caused the other four families to start moving in on the territories that he was barely holding onto. If it had not been for his new bride’s quick legal mind they might not have been able to negotiate the favorable contract with the K’ntarrs. That contract saved the Danshires. Now flush with credits they were able to shore up their territory and keep the wolves at bay.

This was part of what sparked Franc’s love of the Monarchs and why he has worked for the past two years to purchase the team that he loved. The Monarchs saved him, now it was his turn to return the favor.

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Trazi Jul

I’m on the bench, my knee bouncing uncontrollably as we go up 6-0. My heart pounds, it’s early, it’s a small lead, but this is good, right? Out of nowhere I notice that Foob has hit the turf and she’s not getting up. Play stops. Several players gather around her on the field. Coach Teaspoon roars, “Jul,” the small translator droid barks.

I thought my heart was beating fast on the sideline, as I run out to replace Foob it’s nearly jumping right out of my chest. This isn’t the way I want to enter a game, after watching Foob limp off the field and into the locker room. At least she wasn’t carried off on a stretcher and rushed to the med center mid game, like me in high school. That moment still ranks as the worst in my life.

I dig my toe into the turf, this isn’t the time to think about anything except this moment. It’s a Limmie game. Time to prove I belong here in the ELL. Minnerv passes me the ball, I dribble a few feet and pass back. No need to show off right away, start small, one successful pass. Everyone on my team seems to be passing back and forth, we are all timid. It must be a direct result of watching Foob limp off the field.

The Miners don’t waste time, they steal the ball and score, soon the game is tied, 6 all. Coach Teaspoon calls a time out, I prepare for the inevitable lecture. This could go one of two ways, we could be told to get our asses in gear or we could be reminded to play for Foob. What we get is a bunch of angry roars that are translated by a monotone droid voice. “You came here to work, do your job. If you designed apps for holo pads our help line would have a two hour wait. You should be good enough that there are 0 calls in the queue.”

“Zero calls in queue!” Wiskey agrees. “Zero calls in queue,” we all repeat. We don’t score, but the Miners don’t either. We go into the locker room at halftime to find Foob warming up, she’s cleared to play the second half. I’m happy for her and disappointed for me.

Coach Teaspoon doesn’t give her as many minutes as usual though. I get some quality time on the field. Including the final minutes of the game when we are down 8-7. This second half has been a defensive slugfest. Every time we nearly get up field there’s a misstep or just a good defensive play to stop us and the Miners defense has played just as tough.

I figure we’ll go for the bar, tie this thing up and try to win in overtime. Teaspoon has other ideas. She says she has a spa appointment and she can’t be late. She tells us to win this thing. This time when Minerv passes me the ball I don’t pass back, I take off. Gasket can’t catch me, I race my way to Serene while she’s still open and she scores the goal. With only one minute left, the game is in the hands of our defense. The defense has lots of good hands too, Wiskey, Miles Allin and of course new comer Louise Till. Churb doesn't even have to lift a finger, the ball never gets to the goal.

After the game I suck the juice out of a golden orange and toss the peel in the recycle bin. I notice Churb is eating apples, Miles has one too. “What’s that about?” I ask the closest player which just happens to be Sancheese.

“It’s in honor of Coach Allin, he always fed Churb apples.” Sancheese grabs himself another golden orange slice, as if he never heard all the controversy surrounding Coach Allin tossing Churb apple slices, like an animal in a circus. Of course, I’ve never seen a real life circus. They were cancelled nearly a century ago due to animal cruelty.

The next morning Carroll wakes up early with me and we run 5k together. Carroll is great for a shakeout run. I’ll go way too fast if I’m by myself. We finish near the park, I buy here an iced caf and we sit in our special place. “You know,” some woman we never met before barks out on her way into work. “Your girlfriend was kissing a guy on that bench just the other night.”

Carroll bursts out laughing. I look at Carroll, is the laugh genuine? The woman tries again to rile us, “It’s okay sweetie,” she says to me. “You probably hit your head too many times growing up. Playing Limmie has made people crazy. Not to mention the culture your mother grew up in. No men to help raise her. She probably had grilfriends on the side too.”

“Let’s get out of here,” Carroll says because she can probably tell I’m tensing up. More than tensing up. I placed the caf on the bench next to me and my fists are balled. There’s also a small crowd of commuters watching now.

Carroll takes my hand as we get up several beings flank the woman who was taunting us. As we walk away people cheer. Later that day it’s all over social media. Carroll and I are declared heroes for keeping the situation peaceful. Reporters want to talk to me at the stadium when I report to work on Tuesday. There are reasonable questions I am happy to answer, “How did you keep your cool.”

“My girlfriend,” I answer. “She saved that situation from getting ugly. Carroll is the real hero.”

They also ask a question that I am not willing to answer, “Who’s the boyfriend?”

“A lovely guy,” I say. Skip seems private. I’d never want to drag anyone into the spotlight without their permission. For the rest of the week we mostly talk via data pad. I’m afraid reporters are following me and I don’t want him to get stuck with his face all over tabloids. Boldly he comes to see me on Friday night.

He brings groceries and cooks me dinner. The cooking is mediocre, the bags he carried so his face was blocked while he was in our building, making for some hilarious blurry shots of a tall skinny guy but no way to recognize his facial features from tabloid journalists. Boldly he wears the bag over his head as he leaves. “I’m willing to walk into a wall for you,” he says to me.

“There are eye holes,” I remind him.

“I still can’t see,” he complains.

I’m a lucky girl to play Limmie for a living. I’m lucky to have a girlfriend and a boyfriend. I just wish there were some way we could go about our lives without these tabloid journalists camped out in our hallway.

Tag: @Trieste

Trieste and SWNerd11 like this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: A little something fun before I put up college scores for this week. Sorry in advance that this is late, another baseball tourny for my son. Been working on this all week with Trieste, so many thanks to him for the combo post!

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm Victory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz over on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs finally get their second win of the season..."

An hour later...

"OK, so next up on the Fabritech commline, she's a first year head coach..."

"And long time frenemy of Mercs coach Ryi Kor'le. "

"...for a non power five conference team that just recently found themselves ranked in the top 16 for the first time in school history. So welcome, Alana Glencr..."

"Kirt!"

"...to the show, thanks for being on with us Coach."

"Glad to be here," Alana said, calling in from campus at Cape Suzette, "but really? Non-power five? Ouch."

"Don't you mean, 'Ooh burn'?"

"Yeah, that works."

"Well, let's get to that. The Bak10, without a conference championship game, is one of those conferences outside the Power 5, yet they always seem to have a strong showing in the playoff..."

"And congratulations by the way on your current number 13 ranking."

"...I know it's just your first year coaching, but what are your thoughts on the BAK10's lack of a Championship game and can you see the conference ever adopting one?"

"I'm actually amazed that I'm in a position where anyone cares about the UBCS head coach's position on this. Usually, we're so far away from this conversation that it's almost a case of nobody cares what we think. Maybe the fact that we do stand at 13--and it's surreal that's where we are right now--and the leaders of the pack--"

"Don't you mean 'Bak'?"

"--but I kind of like the idea that it's about the regular season. It's old school, the way it was back in the day, before college limmie had so many credits flowing into it and student-athletes were students first. Sure, there's a lot of excitement in a championship game, 'any given Primeday,' all that stuff, but for the title to honor this long slog through the regular season where every game could be 'the game,' the one that decided it all. That's kind of cool and it honors what happens week in and week out. But hey, ask me again if we're sitting in second in the conference after we finish the season against Fleet Academy." You could almost hear the smile in Alana's voice on the wave as she delivered that last line.

"OK, OK, toeing that party line. I get it..."

"Sounds like an answer Kerry Trieste would give..."

"Almost like it's the same person."

"...makes sense for a first year head coach."

"...so let's get bring it to you, to your team. First time the Blue Birds have ever been ranked this high, and really you're following a trajectory that could lead to one of those coveted playoff spots, so first off how does that make you feel and how are your athletes handling the new found pressure?"

"I'll be completely honest, historically when UBCS starts to get expectations we tank the next game in spectacular fashion. I was a little nervous after we shot up to #24 following the UBGC game. I thought that was going to go to our heads, especially seeing as we were headed to the Valley to take on the top team, but the team demonstrated remarkable poise. While we've gotten a lot of stellar play from the true freshmen that joined this season that's been part of our success, we've got upperclassmen who were here for when UBCS finished third in the conference a few seasons ago. It doesn't show up directly on the scoreboard, but I think these veterans have been a big part of our success by helping to develop the on-field maturity of the new Birds. But we know that we've still got basically half the season left, including finishing up with two games that look like they're going to be huge. We've got a long way to go."

"Sure, sure."

"Of course another win and you're probably in that 'going to make it into the playoff even with another loss' zone."

"I don't know if such a zone exists for a team like UBCS. Maybe it exists for the KMIs, VCUs, CAMUs, Norrands, and Ralltiir Us of the galaxy, but we need to keep playing every week or the recency effect is going to kick in. 'Oh they couldn't handle the pressure.' 'There are other teams with better resumes.' The rankings are subjective. They're not like standings. They come down to voters. If we win next week, but drop the remainder of our schedule, that's a 5-4 record. That's not a playoff resume. 7-2 is barely playoff worthy. We've got to keep the throttle forward."

"OK, so how are you, a woman who has met with success at every level of limmie, as a first year head coach in what is OK, maybe not a power five, but surely a major conference. How are you holding up?"

"I'm doing OK. There's a lot of moving parts, but I got a lot of experience at the high school level that transfers over. Like we've talked about, the expectations are there now and that adds a level. I mean, there are some alumni who have likely been stubbornly clinging to life just so they can see the Blue Birds win the Bak10 for the first time in decades. So, you know, no pressure there. Oh, side note, I bet Liz is firing rubber bands or caf mugs at your head right now for asking 'a woman' how she's 'holding up,' isn't she?"

"Hey now, that's not how I meant it!" Randy exclaimed loudly as the sound of rubber bands bouncing off his skull could be heard over the wave.

"You asked Kor'le something similar back when she was a first year head coach for the Mercs, she pointed a flamethrower at your head."

"True, but she had that pointed at me the whole time, not just for that question."

"Sure, sure."

"OK, so you're keeping the hammer down and dealing well with the pressure, but...are you enjoying yourself at all?"

"Oh yeah. Next to actually being out there, this is the next best thing. It's not being adjacent to the field action, it's getting to work with young beings who are still having a lot of fun. A lot of coaches talk about molding character and the like, but I don't see myself doing that. I hope that win or lose the beings I get to spend time with realize what they're capable of, who they are. When we win, they know that hard work can mean something. When we lose, they know that it won't crush them. It's a Korriban of a lot of fun, Randy."

"Awesome, because we're having a lot of fun watching your season so far..."

"And getting a huge kick out of reading Trieste's posts on it."

"So...last question before we have to let you go, and it is perhaps a loaded one. What are your realistic goals going forward this year, where do you see the team at season's end?"

Alana laughed. "That is the question, isn't it? When I took this job I kind of got asked that question and deflected it, but since you're old friends I'll admit that my goal was for teams to stop taking UBCS for granted on their schedule. I wanted us to compete every week so whoever won earned it. But that's the funny thing about goals: they've got a tendency to move. Our goal today is to win the conference. That would be the goal of any team in first at this point in the season. Just because we haven't done it in so long doesn't mean that it shouldn't be our goal too. But there's one goal I've been very clear about because it's important to the team, the student body, the alumni, and me: beating Fleet Academy at the end of the season. They've owned this matchup long enough and it's time we show them why it's a rivalry. So really, that's the last question? It's always a blast to be on with the gang. You didn't even ask me to break out my rusty Mando'a, so I guess I'll have to say ori'vor'e for that!"

"Well I'm sure a majority of our listeners think mando'a is a language that everyone should practice regularly."

"Sure sure."

"Thanks for being with us here coach, and good luck this weekend and on the rest of your season."

"Thanks for having me."

"That was Alana Glen..."

"Kirt!"

"Head coach of the surging UBCS Blue Birds, we're going to go to break, but when we come back we'll be talking lightball...'

"Do we have to?"

"...and the Warriors historic losing streak..."

TAG: @Trieste who provided the Alana Glen... "Kirt!" dialogue to the post.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Vehn, jcgoble3, Trieste and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"What a weekend in college boloball..."

"Oh yeah!"

"...and the two games everyone is talking about are number four Cloud City's loss..."

"Game of the year right there!"

"... and UB Cape Suzette's close win over Tiarest..."

"That was the game of the year."

"...which saw the Blue Birds prevail 16 to 13 over the Burgandy."

"Close game, but it should move UBCS up the rankings again."

"They are getting close to that spot where even a loss couldn't knock them from the playoff bracket..."

"Close, but we're not there yet."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

HSN Top 25 after Week Five (LW)

1. University of Bison (1)
    2. Keldabe Military Institute (2)
    3. Royal College of Hapes (3)
    4. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead (6)
    5. University of Agamar (7)
    6. Druckenwell Technical University (5)
    7. Cloud City University, Bespin (4)
    8. University of Csilla (8)
    9. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa (9)
    10. UB Cape Suzette (13)
    11. University of Onderon Rupings (10)
    12. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute (11)
    13. Balmorra State University (14)
    14. Technical institute of Jakku (15)
    15. University of Kuat (12)
    16. Lorrd University (16)
    17. University of Ryell Clemency, Rydonni Prime (19)
    18. Prytis College of Natural Sciences (18)
    19. Derrling College of Technology (17)
    20. University of Wroona (21)
    21. Taanab A&M University (23)
    22. University of Thyferra (20)
    23. University of Rattatak (22)
    24. Valorum University (25)
    25. University of Commenor (NR)

Trieste likes this.
  11. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Roh Var
    Carratos

Everything hurts...all of me is a walking bruise. It even hurts to breathe. The smugglers didn't take it easy on us, and it showed on the scoreboard. Sabah didn't let let up either she needed to prove that her team was better. That's likely what led to it being so rough. I don't want to do anything today, or for the week but Coach said more reps, harder practices, we were on a slide and it needed to stop.

I struggle out to the living room and flop on the couch, I can hardly turn my head to watch the holo. More analysis of the game that I don't need to see. We lost again, it's not fun to be reminded of that fact. I still feel crummy about it, not just because of the bruises inflicted upon me.

They are our rivals, major ones, them and the Mercs are hated on Carratos, a loss to them is something that is hard to take. We're supposed to beat them and call it a day. Though one supposes that they should be us at least half the time. That didn't make it any better.

It is a loss and we can't afford many of them, it is going to come down to the wire again I can feel it. Iris is going to have to dig deep to try and get us out of this hole. I shake my head. Here I am again throwing my weight onto the back of Iris and asking her to march up the hill to the finals. One day that durasteel back of her's is going to give out, then there's nothing we can do to save our season. I know it's going to take a lot of work but we can do it, we can make it.

I just feel so rough right now, I need something to take the edge off. I think about maybe having some rum but that likely wouldn't go well. I stagger my way to the fresher and open the medicine cabinet opening a bottle of NSAIDs I pop a few in and down them with a glass of water. I still hurt but at least I've done something. Shuffling back out to the living room I sit down carefully on the couch part of me just wanting to stare at the ceiling until the pain just went away.

But that isn't going to happen so I just roll onto my side and flip through the holo, trying to find something to watch. It doesn't have to be great just something to take the edge off the pain.

Force this hurts. And is there just nothing on any more? I go through a few more channels before just settling on some commercial for some financial tool that I have no idea if anyone knows how it works. The show that follows seems to be a sitcom that I remember as a kid.

I don't remember it being good but not like I had much choice what with my brother always working and even then just enough to keep a roof over our heads and whatever holo we could grab from a jury rigged receiver. On a good day we could get Phran Broadcasting and if it was the right day we could get CRW, Carratos Regional Wrestling.

We figured out pretty quick that it wasn't 'real' in the strictest sense. But, something about the over the top characters and simplistic storylines of good vs evil, it made sense in the chaotic world. I was something for me and my brother to hold onto. Also it could just be fun sometimes to watch beings throw themselves off tall structures and crash through flimsiplast tables. It is sometimes mindless violence, but it is for the most part, controlled. And after going through the Occupation, the violence didn't really bother me any more. Again, at least it wasn't 'real'.

Doesn't look like CRW is on right now...though maybe I'll dip my toe in later. It's been years since I've seen a match I wonder what has changed.

Though now after a few years of playing Limmie, I understand what they go through now...It might be scripted, but it is not fake...

TAG: @Vehn

Trieste likes this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Before we get to ELL scores this week, welcome back @SWNerd11 with the Monarchs! Good to have Rydonni Prime around here again. To accommodate the Monarchs, we'll be running the Premier League in part for the rest of the season.
    And I reserve the right to substitute teams in and out of the Premier League later for reasons I shall not explain now. [face_devil]
    HSN Headlines
    • Premier League enters conference play with five weeks left in regular season.
    • Premier League teams played a full six week nonconference schedule.
    • Core & Colonies Conference dominated nonconference play.
    • HSN analyst: “The conference is the clear favorites to win the Premiership this year. Ord Mantell would barely be in the conversation in the Core & Colonies.”
    Bonus potential this week for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime.

298 Week 5 Results
    Elite League Limmie
    Mando’ade Mercs at Ralltiir Starkillers (32-1)
    Bakura Miners at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (25-11)
    Carratos Pirates at Coruscant Senators (33-22)

Premier League (Week 7)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Fondor Freedom (6-0)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Vehn, SWNerd11 and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for: Concordia (28) Tatooine (28) Cloud City (28) and Atzerri (28)

Skimmer Ade League Week Five Results
    Concordia Crusaders @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (4-28)
    Cloud City Sky Captains @ Druckenwell Marksmen (11-11, OT 11-14)
    Atzerri Bandits @ Thyferra Force (8-1)

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik @Trieste @Vehn @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny

Trieste likes this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Miners captain Veers after win against the Smugglers: “We brought next-level play against them today. That’s what it takes to go toe-to-toe with them.”
      • “This was an execution game, who executed better than the other. You know what you get with a Smugglers team. They have an identity. Great teams do.”
    • Cavanaugh: “Some beings say grit is a myth, that it’s an excuse to keep hard hits in the game. I think that there are a lot of beings on Bakura who think that way. I’ve been unashamed of the fact that in the past two and a half seasons the Miners have been a tougher team. That’s who the Miners are at their best. They didn’t run ‘the offense.’ They ran ‘the power offense.’ Without grit, we don’t get a foothold to win this game.”
    • Quinn: “It is time for my secret plan. I realize that telling you about my secret plan will make it less secret, but frankly I don’t think you’re all smart enough to keep up with my plan if I don’t tell you about it.”
      • “You clearly don’t know how awesome the Miners are, which is why you’re not paying attention to us. Therefore, as assistant captain, it is my duty to tell you. For example, let’s talk about Stephana Adiims. She is a beast. Maybe several different beasts, but definitely not at the same time. Do you know she’s bacta-resistant? That’s right, no miracle baths for her! Everybody else just hops on in the goop after the game but she’s all, ‘Nah, I’m just gonna rub some dirt on it.’ That’s pretty awesome.”
    • Dionne: “You going to ask if I’m making any call ups from Cloud City now? No? That’s what I thought.”
    • Sorano on the Miners’ first matchup with the Mercs next week: “About time.”
      • “What? I’m a Carratosian. It’s my favorite game on the schedule.”
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @Vehn

Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Tiarest Stadium, Salis D’aar, Bakura

Every Bak10 team got a visit to Salis D’aar once in the season. For example, if you got UBSD at home, as the Blue Birds had, you played Tiarest on the road. The capital was one of the largest cities on the planet, making it a major recruiting event to play in Salis D’aar, one where local recruits could see you in action. A good game in Salis D’aar could bring some high-end talent next season.

“It had to be Tiarest,” Alana growled as she watched the game unfold.

Bakura’s oldest university had always had a high opinion of themselves. It wasn’t entirely without basis. Partially thanks to being the oldest institution of higher education on the planet, Tiarest had produced the most prime ministers of any Bak10 school. They’d accumulated the largest endowment of any university on the planet and used it for things like completely rebuilding their stadium in a single offseason. That was when you knew an institution had too much money. By contrast, it had taken two years for Blue Bird Stadium’s renovations.

What was more infuriating was that Tiarest could actually be good at athletics sometimes (though given the credits they poured into their programs they should be better than they were). They were the last Bak10 team to win a GCAA championship in limmie and they hadn’t let anyone forget it for the last six years. They still had their championship banner from six years ago prominently displayed in the stadium.

On top of everything, they had the stupidest team name: the Tiarest Burgundy. In Alana’s opinion, a color couldn’t be a mascot. It was a color. How could you cheer for a color? For supposedly smart beings, they were really dumb about some things.

The dumbest thing about Tiarest was that, out of nowhere, they had decided they wanted to be good today. Tiarest had brought the best defense that the Blue Birds had seen all season. Alana kept waiting for the Burgundy to wear themselves out, but throughout the first half they kept thwarting Alana’s best laid plans. She’d known a game like this was coming, but it was so annoying that it came against these beings.

At the start of the second half, she’d pulled Rorie McLita aside and said the words the freshman had been waiting to hear all season: “Today’s the day I need 60 from you.” You wouldn’t have known the corner forward had been hassled for the whole first half from the way her face lit up.

The problem was that as the game drew on, Alana was becoming increasingly unsure that she was going to only need 60 from her players today. She might need 75 and that wasn’t something she was sure they could give. Tiarest was matching them stride for stride. Their players had a favorable home crowd at their back. Even with a large number of UBCS alums who had made the capital trip, the Tiarest players still had more fans making noise when they needed it and all the fancy tricks their jewelry box of a stadium could give him. Fighting the Burgundy to a draw would mean losing.

Tick tick tick. Alana didn’t need to look at the clock to know that time was running out in regulation. At the first break in play, she used a timeout to call her team in for a conference.

“Are we a team who plays for overtime?” Alana asked her team.

“Korriban no,” someone spat out.

“That’s what I thought. We’re going to go big and win this now,” Alana said. “We’re going to do a Scarif Press. The key is to keep moving--yourself and the boloball. We let them pin us down, get us standing still, and they win.”

The team nodded. Everyone knew the risks with the strategy. If passes got disrupted or intercepted they’d be vulnerable to counterattack. This only worked if they were fast and precise.

“OK, get out there and win it,” Alana said. The team broke to take their positions and Alana looked across the field to where the Burgundy players were refueling at their sideline. She looked for the Tiarest coach to say with her eyes That’s right, I don’t need the whole timeout. We’re that good.

Alana crossed her arms and let the noise of the crowd fall away. She knew they might be buoying Tiarest, but they weren’t going to bring her team down. Maybe at the start of the season it could have gotten into her Blue Birds’ heads, but they were past that. Alana just had to watch as from the throw-in the team worked the boloball around, always to an open being, drawing the Burgundy defenders out of their positions, opening up holes, creating opportunities, moving the goalkeeper from side to side, until finally the boloball crossed to Rorie who had a gaping net to punch the boloball into. The home fans groaned because it looked like their team had just collapsed and inexplicably and inexcusably left a key player open, but the truth was that UBCS had twisted Tiarest into so many knots that they’d made a good defense look bad.

Alana almost didn’t need to watch as Tiarest tried to even the score at the other end of the field. She knew that the defense had this one covered. All she had to do was figure out what she was going to say to the Tiarest coach and HSN after the game.

“Do it! Do it! Do it!” the team chanted.

“Nah, this is your time,” Alana demurred with a smile.

“No, do it Coach!” Mahgan hollered.

As a team that previously hadn’t had much to celebrate, they enjoyed every win in the locker room, even as they piled up. The players jumped around to the pounding bass to popular songs like the adult kids that they were. It was fun to watch their exuberance, truly living in the moment.

“OK, but remember you asked for it,” Alana said, hauling herself to the middle of the locker room to whistles and cheers. She waited for the music to come around to the right part.

Rorie put her fingers in her mouth to emit a shrill whistle of approval.

“That’s right!” Shasta Carp said, cupping her hands around her mouth.

Even Gerald Riviera cracked a smile from where he leaned against one wall.

The team exploded as Alana finished her party routine.

Alana smiled sheepishly as she ceded the center of the locker room to applause from the teams and a fair number of affectionate slaps on the shoulder and back. Every team’s number came up at some point...but the Blue Birds were going to enjoy every second until it was their turn.

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik (who I know very much wanted that postgame celebration)

SWNerd11, jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Mercs win again..."

"And boy did they ever, putting together their best overall team effort of the season as they put away the defending champion Starkillers 32 to one at Ralltiir."

"Best effort by far..."

"Offense was working."

"Defense was working," Justin said with a smile.

"And the mid game too seemed to go their way through out the match as every move Coach Kor'le made paid off in this one."

"I think even the team hoverbus made every single light on the way from the hotel to the stadium."

"Ha!"

"Seriously though, this was a great effort put forth by the team, and a wonderful thing to see as the team starts to mature and grow together."

"Think playing the defending champs had something to do with it?"

"Oh for sure, for sure. I mean let's face it, any time you win it all you're the hunted the next season, and the Mercs certainly treated the Starkillers like a cornered animal."

"I don't hunt, but living here for the last decade or so I think I've heard that that's when an animal is the most dangerous..."

"Sure, sure. And the Mercs treated them that way, but they didn't play afraid of them and instead went out trying to establish their own dominance..."

"Which they certainly did."

"I'd say so, Brirs and Backbreaker had great games..."

"Scored a dozen alone between the two of them."

"...Tella played fantastic defense..."

"He'd be a rookie of the year candidate if he put forth that kind of effort week in and week out."

"...and Maximus had a great game at midfield."

"I was indeed entertained."

"Put that all together, and yeah it's a statement game and their signature win of the season as it passed the midpoint..."

"Of course next they take on last season's runner's up, the Bakura Miners."

"Another excellent team, and a tough test right after taking on the defending champs, in some ways harder I think."

"Harder?"

"Hey, the champs are good, always will be as let's face it they won the most recent title."

"Right."

"But taking on the team that lost the finals the previous year? That's another animal entirely. They're still hungry, and eager to prove they can do it."

"While the Mercs are still just trying to prove they can put in a consistent effort from week to week."

"Difference between a contender and well..."

"Right."

TAG: @Runjedirun

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Nearing the end of the college boloball regular season and the big news is the loss by six Druckenwell Tech..."

"That was a hard loss..."

"Hard loss? They got shut out!"

"...might knock them right out of the top ten."

"While the other other top story is the continued climb of University of Bakura Cape Suzette, this time at the expense of the University of Evenvale who the Blue Birds crushed 33 to 11 this weekend."

"That team is in the playoff."

"You think so?"

"Book it."

"While further down the rankings, number 16 Lorrd University may have seen their bubble burst after a heartbreaking loss."

"Yeah, they're done."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

HSN Top 25 after Week Six (LW)

1. University of Bison (1)
    2. Keldabe Military Institute (2)
    3. Royal College of Hapes (3)
    4. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead (4)
    5. University of Agamar (5)
    6. Cloud City University, Bespin (7)
    7. UB Cape Suzette (10)
    8. University of Csilla (8)
    9. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa (9)
    10. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute (12)
    11. Druckenwell Technical University (6)
    12. University of Onderon Rupings (11)
    13. Balmorra State University (13)
    14. Technical institute of Jakku (14)
    15. University of Kuat (15)
    16. University of Wroona (20)
    17. Prytis College of Natural Sciences (18)
    18. University of Ryell Clemency, Rydonni Prime (17)
    19. Derrling College of Technology (19)
    20. Lorrd University (16)
    21. University of Commenor (25)
    22. Taanab A&M University (21)
    23. Brask Yashuvhi University, Csilla (NR)
    24. Albanin-Baxel Defense Academy, Clantaano III (NR)
    25. University of Thyferra (22)

Trieste likes this.
  18. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    IC: Franc Danshire
    Monarchs Stadium
    After 298 PLL Week 7

With most of the main renovations completed Franc walked out onto the unsodded field. He looked up and felt the warmth of Rydo’s rays shining down on his face. One of the first changes that he ordered for the stadium was the removal of the dome. Franc never liked the “Eyesore of Ryell” and took pleasure in setting off the detonators himself which literally blew the roof off the stadium. Now the only things that cast shadows over the pitch were the two vidscreen scoreboards over either goals and the three levels of suites on either side.

As he stood in the center of what would become 4th Fleet Field, he looked up to the north end scoreboard. To ensure that the multi-million credit devices worked, once they were fully operational, he had the current week’s Monarchs game broadcast. The play-by-play rang out throughout the empty concourses located beneath the vacant seats. He sat there and revelled at the beautiful story unfolding before his eyes. Ari’ann’emartell was putting on a clinic of defending the goal and was on her way to add the 41 shutdown game, with possibly the seventh shutout, in team history.

When she was drafted with the fifth overall pick in 283, everyone knew that she was an outstanding collegiate goalkeeper, but several doubted that she would be able to make the transition to professional limmie. To most scouts she was touted as being undersized to play the position and should be moved to midfield to utilize her speed and dexterity. But, according to Dawn Solo, Mara Singus saw something in her - a fire. The same fire that she saw in Oss’irh’cgood and Corvo Antilles when they were in net before the young Chiss. But unlike Oss’i and Corvo before her, Ari’a’s fire needed some guidance, some tempering, or she was likely to get burned.

Franc knew several young associates like Ari’a, they all thought that they were ready to take the universe by the nape of its neck and bring it to heel by sheer willpower alone. Many, if not all of them, overreached their grasp and found themselves in a bad way. Too few of them had mentors, like Mara, who looked out for them and brought them back from the edge of oblivion. For Franc, it wasn’t a mentor, but a partner, someone who knew him like no other being could.

“You know,” a voice called out from the midfield tunnel, “You could have made a small fortune selling tickets to people to come and watch this with you.”

A small smile crept across his face. Without turning to regard the newcomer, Franc replied, “And risk the Crown levying a heavy fine against me and shutting down our renovations?”

The intruder stepped out of the shadows and into the warm afternoon light. She slowly walked towards Franc, “From what I hear, you know a pretty good solicitor that might be able to assist you with fighting that.”

“No, I have an outstanding solicitor who is also pretty.” He turned towards his wife Mari, embraced her, and gently kissed her on the forehead. When he turned his attention back to the game, the action had completed, and Ari’a had achieved a first in her career - a shutout.

He turned back to look at Mari, “So, are you ready to help me write my proposal to the ELL Board of Governors requesting Rydonni Prime’s triumphant return as an elite powerhouse?”

She smiled back in kind, “This win certainly would make the argument easier, but a Premiership Cup would make it nearly impossible to keep us out.”

“So I guess I better let our General Manager know what our new stakes are.”

Trieste likes this.
  19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC Trazi Jul

Now I know what it feels like to experience a Monday on a Sunday. It’s almost over, cautiously I peer out the stadium exit towards my speeder. The path looks clear. No reporters. I’ve stayed here an extra hour to avoid them. I don’t need any questions about this loss or my personal life. Not tonight.

Quickly and cautiously I walk towards my speeder, “Ms. Jul,” I hear. I turn, expecting a reporter. Instead there’s a teenage girl.

She’s silent now that I’m facing her. Now that she knows, I know she’s here. After a bit of silence I ask, “Do you work for your school holo news?”

“No,” she says quietly.

“Do you want an autograph?” I try not to sound too sarcastic. In training camp I was given hundreds of cards with my holo on them and told to carry some on me always with a black pen in case a fan ever asked. Free autographs were good publicity. As of yet no one had asked for my autograph.

“Sure,” she says surprising me.

I put my bag down next to my speeder and dig through it until I find the cards. I don’t have a black pen, my pen is purple. Purple is my favorite color, not black, not blue and not orange. “What’s your name?” I ask.

“Demii,” she replies. “Two I’s.”

I write 1st on top to signify she’s the first to ever ask for and receive my autograph. Maybe it’s mute, maybe she’s the last. I don’t care. It still makes her first. I add my signature and hand her the card.

“Thanks,” she says admiring it. I pick up my bag and open my speeder door.

“Wait,” Demii says. “How did you come out to your parents?”

Of all the questions that was the one I was least prepared for. Couldn’t she have asked what it felt like to get a blister in my ass on the bench while my team lost today? That would be easier to answer. Why did me being a professional athlete mean I should have the answers to being who I am?

The truth is hard to admit. “I didn’t.”

“What?”

“I think my parents always knew I was different. Eventually my mom came out and asked me,” I admit.

“How did that go?” She asks curiously.

“I think my mom suspected I liked girls. She was taken aback by my equal attraction to both sexes. She tries to hide it, she’s not comfortable with it but accepting.” I summarize.

“What would you do if your parents didn’t accept you?” She asks.

“Ditch them, hang with my friends.” I say easily.

“What does your dad think?” Now there’s a loaded question. My dad’s always been in my life, but my mom’s mostly raised me. Even though we live together. My mom dominates in my family and I don’t even think she realizes it. She was raised on Hapes. She doesn’t know any other way.

“He’s cool,” I realize and summarize all at once. “Are your parents Starkiller fans?” I ask Demii.

“How do you think I got into the game today?” She asks wisely.

“If you need help telling your parents anything. I can help. I’ll be there with you if you want and I can give you free merchandise. You look like you’re my about size.”

Demii smiles. “I’d like that. My parents are cleaning up our tailgate. They’re pretty depressed about the loss. Now’s not a good time. They have work tomorrow. I have school. We need to get home.”

Now I suddenly feel worse. The Starkillers loss doesn’t just make me and my team mates miserable it trickles down to every being on the planet. I need more minutes next week, we need to beat the Pirates. I can’t let my fan down two weeks in a row. “Next week?” I offer.

“You want me to come out next week?” Demii asks.

“When you say come out, are you lesbian, bisexual?” I ask.

“I’m like you. I like boys and girls,” she says firmly.

“The sooner your parents know the more free you are to be you.” I can’t believe I’m doing this, “What’s your holo pad number?” I pull out my holo pad and call her as she speaks the digits. She answers her holo pad. I end the call before speaking, “Save the number.” I tell her.

Demii is speechless for several minutes. “Thanks.” She finally manages. “I need to go. My parents are going to wonder where I am. Thanks for the autograph.” She says waving the card as she runs off.

Tag: @ no one really

Trieste likes this.
  20. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    IC Roh Var
    Carratos

We notched another win, finally after skidding for two games we came out the victor. But it didn't feel like we'd turned the corner. We were halfway through the season and we were battling out. We might have lead the league but, it all felt so tenuous. We're hanging on by a thread. Courscant and Mandalore were right on our heels and one slip up would have us tumbling back down. This was the time of the playoff hunt, the mad dash to the promised land, a place we've been every year since even before Iris joined, though we often got bounced in the first round. It was still something to be proud of.

Our defense was clicking, good for best in the league, though Sabah wasn't too pleased. Likely still smarting from the loss to the Smugglers. She promised more practice and harder practice as we came into the final leg. I don't blame her, the defense has been inconsistent, but she has to be at least a little happy about doing so well. Though it's hard to take pride when the big picture was so shaky. Sure we buried the Sens, but on the whole it's not a pretty picture.

These thoughts continue as I go through my morning routine, I don't hurt so much now. That's a blessing. Means I can get on with my life...of...of...I'll figure it out. I've got a lot of things I could do, could call up my brother...he's working, double shifts likely...man just can't say no. Could call up Zara and the crew...they're still on rest...I don't want to just lay on the couch, well I can go for a walk, yeah a walk that will help.

I put on some going out clothes and comfortable walking shoes and head out. I don't know where I'm going just somewhere. There's a local grocery store nearby, that's as good an excuse as any I guess. I head out feeling the sun on my face and look around. I learned long ago that you don't always want to make eye contact with people but I can't help myself sometimes. It's also really nice when people recognize me...even if it's "You're that girl, that defense being right?"

I'll take it, though thankfully I'm not famous enough to be hounded in the streets for autographs. I can only imagine what it is like for Iris, the face of the team. Me, I'm just another being in a Pirate's jersey. And that's ok. I don't need the fame and adoration, I just get to play the sport I love and get paid for it.

I walk down to the store, not really sure what I'm getting. I look through the isles finding a few things I might need but just end up getting some snacks and sports drinks because why not. Up at the counter the cashier did a double take before ringing me up.

"Uhh...that'll be 10 credits," the teen human woman looked away then back, "Um could I get an autograph, my...uh...brother is a huge fan...of the Pirates...the team, and he would really like an autograph from someone on the team."

"Sure," I smile grabbing a pen from the counter, the teen slides me a ticket stub from the last home game, looked like the nosebleeds. "You want me to make it out to anyone?"

"Uh...Chris...with a K…" I give her a slight smirk as I note her name take...Chris, with a K.

"Uh huh." I smile and sign my name putting my player number on the stub. Writing:

"To Kris, hope you enjoyed the game, hope to see you there again."

I smile and slide the ticket back before walking out. In the reflection of the shop window I see the girl hold the ticket close to her like a precious thing.

At least I made someone's day brighter.

TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

I guess we should call this autograph week. ;) Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime.

298 Week 6 Results
    Mando’ade Mercs at Bakura Miners (40-24)
    Carratos Pirates at Ralltiir Starkillers (21-11)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators (16-12)

Premier League Week 8
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Kuat Triforce (8-30)

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Blue Bird Stadium, Cape Suzette, Bakura

“OK, let’s do it.”

That’s what Alana had said when the athletic department’s marketing team pitched the idea at the start of the season. It had seemed like a good gimmick to make sure that beings still showed about UBCS limmie late in the season (even if only for the novelty). Though it turned out they didn’t need any help with that, they’d already printed the promo material at the start of the season so there was no going back now.

The penultimate home game for the Blue Birds had been declared “throwback day,” specifically to the 173 season when the Blue Birds had won the Bak8 Conference with a perfect 9-0 record. Not only was that before Atalanta and today’s opponent, Evenvale, had even been in the conference, but it had been a different era of sport entirely. They had retroactively been dubbed the college champions (as such things hadn’t even existed then) thanks to their 28-0 victory against Ord Saboak University (this was such ancient history there was no “The” back then either--the good old days in Alana’s opinion) in that year’s Carnation Bowl.

Because no athletic department could resist the opportunity to sell more merchandise, the team was wearing retro jerseys like those UBCS limmie players had sported in the 170s. Alana had agreed to get into the game and pay homage to the Blue Birds’ head coach known as “Jean the Queen” by ditching her usual bright blue polo shirt and white slacks.

“It really was a different time,” Alana said when she appeared in the white dress with vertical blue stripe to the whistles and applause of the team.

“Come on coach,” Mahgan said, standing. “Let’s go knock the Archers back into last century.”

While the alumni, students, and newfound fans would gush over Alana’s retro look on the HoloNet, it would only be slightly less than their appreciation the team’s tripling up the Archers. Though Evenvale was sitting third in the conference (making the game’s result farom certain), they’d slid from their Bak10 championship four years ago when Breena Eastwick had been with the team. Until 294, it had been UBCS and Evenvale who had gone 40+ years without a conference championship. Now it was just the Blue Birds with the long drought. (For anyone keeping track, these days the next longest championship-less streak was Atalanta at only 18 seasons.)

Despite Evenvale’s strong showing this season, it turned out to be the sort og game that allowed Alana to manage her roster as they came into the final stretch. It also let her enjoy admiring the full (almost to overflowing) stands. Pockets of fans, including students, were sporting the fashion of the 170s and, as was typically the case, the outfits for females were most dramatically different compared to the modern day. (Men’s fashion really was boring.)

The fan signs had adopted a retro twist for the day too. HEAT WAVE GIVES ME DISCO FEVER had almost certainly given Rorie McLita a kick with its reference to the most famous dance trend of the era. DON’T BLAME ME, I’M FROM CAPE SUZETTE was an old speeder bumper sticker after a particularly lopsided election of the 170s that somehow still worked. ALANA’S BLUE BIRDS AWESOME was an acrostic that spelled the name of a noted pop group from the era. However, Alana’s favorite was definitely BLUE BIRDS LIMMIE YOU KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU, a reference to Jean the Queen’s unofficial anthem.

That was what made Alana the happiest: the Blue Birds were a team that you could love again. She’d happily wear bell bottoms for the rest of the season if she could keep that going.

Ojai, Bakura
    The next day

The Cape Suzette Gazette’s sports section headlined its Centaxday edition with SEVEN FOR SEVEN. “Though the Blue Birds have rattled off six straight wins, seven is the chic number on campus after ending Evenvale’s Bak10 aspirations. UBCS is ranked seventh thanks to the new regime put in place by Alana Kirt, who wore seven as a Miner.” In addition to a glowing recap of the game and quotes from the players and Alana herself, there were some interesting tidbits of speculation, the most notable being a reference to “the possibility for an intriguing postseason matchup with one of the names in play for the almost-but-not-to-be Bak12, the top-ranked University of Bison.” However Alana ignored the coverage at the breakfast table as she ate her cereal with Niall and Kass.

“I don’t think I should call,” Alana said.

“Sounds like a plan,” Niall said as he flipped through the local section of the Gazette on his datapad.

“You’d probably just be interrupting him with his girlfriend anyways,” Kass said. Though delivered casually, both her parents knew their daughter was attempting to be mischievous.

Alana chewed some cereal. “Maybe I should call him.”

“I’m sure he’d love to hear from you,” Niall said in the same tone as his first response.

“He could introduce you to his girlfriend,” Kass suggested.

“No, it’ll be awkward,” Alana decided.

Niall shifted from his agreeable position slightly. “I’m sure it wouldn’t be.”

“Unless he’s in bed with his girlfriend,” Kass pointed out.

“Keep that up and we’re going to put an ankle bracelet on you when you go to university,” Niall warned, “but we’ve got over a year to think up more intrusive options.”

“Don’t want to be late for school,” Kass said, skipping away from the table. “I’ll meet you in the speeder.”

“Should I call him?” Alana asked her husband. “I really want your opinion.”

“My opinion is you should keep the dress from the game,” Niall said standing from the table and putting his dishes and Kass’s in the dishwasher. “It looked good on you.”

“Niall,” Alana said, but what she really said was you know that’s not the opinion I wanted.

“It never hurts to say I love you, even if they know it,” Niall said. He bent down to kiss Alana on the cheek. “See you later. I love you.”

“Love you too,” Alana said as she chewed the matter over in her mind. After Niall and Kass had left, it took Alana looking at her datapad three times before she picked it up and placed the call. It connected after four rings.

“Hi Mom,” Olivar said. There was a significant time difference between Prytis and Ojai, but it was still a reasonable hour to call there.

“Hey there. I watched your game last night. You looked good. We’re as proud of you as ever,” Alana said.

“I haven’t gotten around to looking at yours yet, but I will pretty soon. Looks like you barely broke a sweat against them from the highlights,” Olivar said.

“They barely show you anything in those recaps. They gave us a couple scares in there,” Alana said with a smile that gave lie to her words. She paused. “I just wanted to...you know, before the week got busy for us, say I hope you have a good game this week and I love you and--”

“I know, Mom. I love you too,” Olivar said. “It’s going to be something, right?”

“Something’s a good thing to call it,” Alana agreed. “It’s...it’s going to be hard and I wanted you to know.”

“You always told Kass and me that limmie wasn’t easy.”

“There’s not easy and then there’s hard.”

“We’ll survive, Mom,” Olivar said.

“Just as long as you call me next Centaxday, I think we’ll get through,” Alana said.

“Promise.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too.”

The call ended and Alana put her datapad down and tapped the rim of her cereal bowl with her spoon as she looked out the window at the backyard. In another application on the datapad the unread Gazette article sat waiting for her and it read, in part, as follows:

“The Blue Birds’ final home game will be the de facto conference championship game as #17 PCNS comes to town. The game will feature more storylines than a premium HoloNet fantasy drama, but none bigger than Alana Kirt’s showdown with her son, PCNS captain Olivar Kirt. If this isn’t HSN’s Game of the Week, then nothing is.”

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik (who can't argue with history :D)

Bardan_Jusik and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    It must be Monday when you find out you updated the Library post, but actually didn't post in the game thread.

Sub GM Post

Skimmer Ade League Week Six Results
    Concordia Crusaders @ Cloud City Sky Captains (2-12)
    Atzerri Bandits @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (16-3)
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Thyferra Force (19-17)

Tags: @Bardan_Jusik @Trieste @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn @Jedi Gunny

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Cavanaugh after Miners’ defensive implosion: “We allowed ourselves to get pushed around this week.”
      • “I realize the irony of this one week after talking about how gritty this team is.”
      • “They played us strength on strength and we came out the worse.”
    • Dionne: “We are at a critical juncture in our season. We can’t afford to lose more ground. I think that the defense had an off-day, but the offense hasn’t gotten to where we want. Therefore, in conversation with Leigh, I have called up Grady Owens from Cloud City to replace Leilu Grabbert at corner forward.”
      • “Leilu will go out to Cloud City as part of the transfer. The Sky Captains are in a tight race in the SkimmerAde League and we’re committed to supporting them as part of our mutually beneficial relationship. Leilu will bring valuable, championship-level experience to their roster.”
      • “Grady brings ELL experience in the front three that we need right now to right the ship.”
      • On the possibilities of further call ups, such as Jimsey Vigo: “Ask me again next week.”
    • Reached for comment after the Sky Captain’s 12-2 win against Concordia, Owens: “This is why I took a chance on a SkimmerAde contract with Cloud City in conjunction with Bakura. I know I’ve still got what it takes and I just showed it by pounding on the JV squad of my old team.”
      • “I’d just like to point out that I was kind of a big deal when I played at Fleet Academy (go Ensigns) and so I’m pretty confident this is gonna go well.”
      • “I just wish I’d gotten to play against the Mercs this week to show them what they’re missing out on.”
      • “Also, to all the ladies on Bakura: I look forward to seeing you at the game.”
      • Horst Penn comments on the Owens callup: “This guy is super awesome. I can’t quite put my finger on why though…”
    • Quinn: “Blah blah blah. All this talk about losing and boys is boring. Let’s talk about something much more interesting, the awesome ladies of the Miners!”
      • “OK, last week we talked about how cool Stephana is, but did you know there’s even more awesome females on the team? Take Revos Lib. She’s a Selonian, which makes her the coolest. If I had a magical mist guardian it would be a Selonian. That’s how cool they are. And have you ever watched her stand in the pocket? Players try to tackle her, thinking, ‘What a cute little otter-thing. I can take her.’ And then Wham! Pow! Biff! Zot! Powie! Other Bat-Words! They’re knocked on their butt as she scores points. Did you know that Selonians are actually super strong? And that they have really sharp claws and teeth? And can see in the dark? How do we not talk about how awesome Revos is more? How, I ask ya?”
    • On the topic of sex, the BBC notes that the arrival of Owens to the Miners offense makes Owens the only male in the forwards and midfield.
      • The Miners roster now stands at 3 males and 12 females.
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @Runjedirun

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Vehn, Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  25. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Martia Paak
    Somewhere in the galaxy

The chrono sounded in its usual annoying tone. Martia groaned and through sleepy eyes punched the chrono silent. She'd had enough of her job. She'd traveled from one end of the galaxy to the other always mining for the next talent, the next great player, the transitional generational piece that would string together another series of Smuggler championships.

Martia was also looking for the steady role players. The ones that could always be depended upon to play hard, show up ready to go, round out a roster that desperately needed revamping. The Smugglers of this late 290s era had fallen upon their own self inflicted mistakes. Poor roster management, even poorer draft choices or lack of participation, had threatened to derail a once promising campaign to add to the trophy collection of that team from the Smugglers Moon.

Martia had been a part of some great squads. Had never really known mediocrity.. Had only known success. That showed in the way she approached her job. Where it also manifested was in the requests by Vera Grames, the current owner, and GM Addison Vehn, to get the Smugglers out of their rut. Their own way. The once great franchise was now lying in a heap in the dirt while other teams surged forward. Ticket sales were expected to slump in a third straight year. Fans were aging out and tuning into new sports and new markets.

295 had seen the Smugglers hoist their Final cup of this decade. Although the decade wasn't even finished yet everyone could tell that the last three years had been horribly unkind. Karmic. Pissing off the limmie gods or that one Mandalorian radio show or that rumored man who rolled the dice once a week and decided all of their fates.

Times were different now and as Martia dressed for another grinding day mining talent all she could feel was that the year 300 ABY couldn't come soon enough.

It was the year, even though it was several away, where unknown to her everything was going to change.

Everything.

Tag: @Trieste; @Bardan_Jusik for some digs, and everyone else for what ought to be some killer suspense.

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.