main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Rogue One was so good, why drop Anthology films because of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Durge27, Jun 10, 2020.

1. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    With "make solo 2 happen" every may since it's release Iam sure there will be some continuation of that story somewhere. It didnt make well at the BO but fans agreed on it beeing a good and fun movie and worthy a sequel to conclude the story lines.

I honestly loved the movie.

SlashMan and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a really fun movie. Plus, the green singing dude in a floating jar, you know?

3. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Solo had a tumultuous production as mentioned, and for that matter so did R1. However, R1 made enough of a landing that it didn't impede its success, and it definitely seems the reshoots in fact improved it. Solo, on the other hand, while it wasn't terrible, you could definitely feel that the climax was toned down from what could've been. And after having to deal with troublesome shufflings and redoes for both films, as well as the risk of franchise fatigue, it makes sense Disney's doing what they're doing.

Streaming and small screen stuff is definitely sensible to keep the franchise going in the meantime--but for going back to real epic mainline stories, there won't be a substitute for the theater far as I'm concerned...

christophero30 likes this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    SW needs to be an event in theaters; and you can't do that with a movie every year. I know Marvel does it; but they do it with completely different characters (the GA seems to view SW as one thing) and they won't have the magic touch forever. And they are definitely the exception.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  5. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    In fairness, the COVID delay might be a boon for Marvel for staving off superhero fatigue with an inadvertent break for them (I know I wasn't going to bother checking out Black Widow or whatever--not for distaste or anything, but just because I felt Endgame was a perfectly well-wrapped conclusion after a decade straight and didn't really need an immediate continuation). But yeah, Marvel films tended to be viewed as more series for their characters than the setting, so you could pump them out more freely.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been saying this for years. People don't go see the new Marvel movie, they go to see the new Iron Man movie, the new Avengers movie, the new Thor movie, with the knowledge that those things are all connected. Nobody is like, "Hey, you want to go see the new Jyn Erso movie?" It's all just Star Wars at the end of the day, because the two IP are inherently different.

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Truth.

However, the Mandalorian may have broken the mold. I know many non-Star Wars fans who can’t wait for Mando and Baby Yoda, but aren’t anticipating any other “Star Wars” stuff. They just love that duo.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  8. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I think it's just a case of finding that sort of hook for regular viewers, to keep the franchise in general successful as time goes on.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. SpaceLama

SpaceLama Jedi Padawan

Aug 24, 2018
    The problem with Anthology films for me personally, was that they were too beholden to existing characters. Star Wars needs to especially move past constantly doing cameos of Original Trilogy characters. It makes the universe small, if the same 6 characters keep showing up. It's meant to be a galaxy with trillions of citizens. Solo was of course the epitome of this, a film about an Original Trilogy character that would likely interfere with many people's own idea of Han's background, who did not need expanding upon, which was given a massive budget when there were much better stories waiting to be told. It makes the franchise look as if it revolves around the Original Trilogy, when there is no reason not to invent a dozen new characters, and tell an epic story set in 3000 BBY, 2000 BBY or 1000 BBY. Rogue One was also packed with OT references, albeit handled slightly better. It still suffered in that whatever the characters did was basically constrained by the need not to step on the toes of the Original Trilogy. The Mandalorian on the other hand is it's own beast, and thus feels good. Dark Forces also, in dealing with the Dark Trooper project, was it's own beast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really dislike over wrought cameos, they make the galaxy seem small. Saw Guerra/Leia/Wedge/Lando should not be turning up everywhere, unless there is a really good reason not to just invent a new character for the scene. Otherwise, you have to ask how this one person keeps running into people among trillions. The general spirit of Star Wars is much more important than any individual character, so I wish they would not obsess over characters.

Now in contrast, a faithful and direct adaptation of KOTOR would have gone down really well as a series of Anthology films, as long as it didn't deliberately redesign ships, or step on the cherished art and story of the original game, for the sake of difference. It was it's own thing. I would much rather they write about new eras and new groups. If the anthology films had been set say during the Old Republic or New Republic, perhaps been adaptations of Dark Forces I and Dark Forces II, that would be a different story, because Kyle Katarn's first two games, remember, did not reverentially follow the Skywalkers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Katarn's quest was basically equally important to Luke's. He saved the galaxy. There was no need to reference the Skywalkers. No need for anyone familiar to sweep in and help. The Valley of the Jedi crisis is something Luke may not have even known about, but Jerec acquiring it would have resulted in an evil just as great as the return of Palpatine. So it feels like it's own story, like an Indiana Jones adventure that was taking place elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  10. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I've always felt iffy on the idea of adapting videogames for the films, especially directly. KOTOR is a difficult one as it was originally a story-based RPG, with lots of character tinkering and choices, and even TOR got flak when it had to go with a 'definitive' take on the character of Revan. Do something inspired by KOTOR, maybe, but definitely do an own thing.

11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I thought the cast of Solo was great and could have been the foundation of a Han-focused series of films if only they had known exactly what they wanted from the characters.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Darth Thumos

Darth Thumos Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2020
    The buried lede in OP's post is the unexamined idea that Rogue One was good.

It was not.

13. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    The general consensus is that RO was very good.

14. Darth Thumos

Jul 4, 2020
    I suppose it was a very good toy commercial, but as a movie? I can't believe anyone could've watched it and not wanted their money back.

"General consensus" means nothing to me; stop laundering responsibility for your opinions by hiding behind the majority. You clearly think it was good, so why is that?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  15. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    You are quite negative for your first day. I thought RO had great characters, a great story and was very much in tone with ANH while still feeling fresh. It was retro and yet not a rehash. About 10 of my friends who I discussed it with all liked it, as did all of my family.

16. Darth Thumos

Jul 4, 2020
    Sorry, I heard this forum was for both EU and DisneyWars fans? If I'm not welcome, I'll just leave.

I thought Rogue One had one-dimensional characters, a glorified videogame fetch-quest for a plot, no cohesive tone, and had no purpose other than to answer a question that never needed to be answered. I watched Rogue One on Netflix maybe a year after it came out, and was bored stiff from almost the first moment. I got about as far as their U-Wing crashing on Planet OrangeTeal, before I paused it to go get ready for a work shift, and just... never felt any real desire to finish it. I eventually saw the big final battle on Youtube, though, and it didn't really impress me.

If anything about my Rogue One viewing experience is at all typical, then I'm not surprised that other "Anthology" films have fallen flat.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Rogue One was a good movie.

18. Darth Thumos

Jul 4, 2020
    But what makes it good, in your opinion?

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Good Story
    Good Action
    Good Cast

20. Darth Thumos

Jul 4, 2020
    One-dimensional videogame fetch-quest.

It was workmanlike enough, but not noticeably better or worse than any other action movie in the last ten years. It was trying to be a Marvel tentpole instead of a Star Wars film, and it showed in the cinematography very strongly. Whoever designed the action sequences had no vision of their own.

Is this some sort of hazing ritual for new posters? Calling that gaggle of cardboard cutouts and backstoryless walking gimmicks "characters" is simply inexplicable otherwise.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m a total film snob, as is my artist and film critic wife. We both think Rogue One is, on a cinematic level, the most high quality Star Wars film out there. With a much subtler and more realistic characterization than other Star Wars films, less cartoonish world building than the ST, and more artful cinematography. There you go.

22. Darth Thumos

Jul 4, 2020
    Yeah, characterization so subtle it doesn't even exist.[face_laugh] Being less cartoonish than the ST isn't exactly an impressive bar to clear, either, so no points for that.

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    didn't you just admit you had only seen half the movie? At least watch the thing before ripping it apart.

24. Darth Thumos

Jul 4, 2020
    You don't need to drink a gallon of bad milk to know it's gone bad. Just a sniff is normally enough.

Isn't it even more damning, not less, that what I'd already seen didn't hold my attention? I mean, are you honestly telling me the characters magically gained personalities in the last hour of the movie, when they showed no indication of anything but the most superficial motivations in the 65+ minutes leading up to that? And if so, isn't that an even more damning criticism?

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No points for trolling either, bud.