main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The STAR WARS Sequel Trilogy: George Lucas Edition

I'd happily pay to see that. That might peak Hamill's interest as well as Ford's, but who really knows? It was myopic of Lucasfilm to exclude Lucas in the end. As a result, what should have been a grand celebration of more than 30 years of STAR WARS ended in a dud. Anti-climatic. Why? In large part because the person who created this universe to begin with was no where to be seen at the end. The silence was deafening. Therefore, it all sort of rang hollow, at least for me it did (and presumably Lucas as well).

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    They can take George's story and replace the characters with Rey or new characters meeting the whills and going into this midi-chlorian world.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Not sure Ford’s interest can be piqued again. But we’ll see.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    MARK and FORD are done. Without Fisher it not the same. Just get back the ones ST or new characters.

DarthRosie likes this.
  5. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah, I agree, but Ford seems to be driven by two things: the work and the money. I do think he has great creative instincts and the Han/Kylo type of scenes he relishes. I was a bit surprised that he made an appearance in TROS as a result, so if he’s given something meaningful to do , I think he’d jump at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Darth PJ and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I've sort of come to agree with this more and more as time has gone by- I've found TROS to have no real re-watch value, which is SW's big quality for me- I'm not a re-watcher, SW movies are in a very small group of movies I find re-watchable. I am a bit bummed they didn't end it better. I don't think Lucas will ever be back in the mix, but hopefully they will do better in the future with different writers and directors. The ST certainly had its bright spots, it just didn't live up to the potential in the end. There are still many great stories to tell in the framework of the GFFA, I just wish they had done better with their only opportunity to have the big 3.
    I think you predicted a long time ago before TFA that they would bring Palp back in the ST, at least they went with your prediction, eh?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Immortiss likes this.
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I’d imagine it’s only a matter of time before we get a Lucas story back on the big screen. If nothing else ‘story by George Lucas’, post the ST, would generate some PR for new films.

Shamear and Immortiss like this.
  8. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    George Lucas may already be back in the mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shamear, Lee_ and Immortiss like this.
  9. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm not sure if this was buried under Doomcock rumor or simply flew under the radar:

Manabyte rumor. Basically, it dismisses Doomcock fantasy on the basis of [one of the most popular] characters in ST returning. He did not specify who so comments section is speculation/wishful thinking. Right now, if there's any plan for a ST character-centric movie/show, we don't know who it is. My bet would be Rey but, again, just my speculation. I don't think that actors who were very firm on not returning ("can't Disney Plus me" "only if I have to buy another house") would have said that had they been offered a solo movie or a streaming show. And not all dead return so...

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a show animation. Rey probaly as we might see a show about her rebuild the jedi.

11. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Giving her a new saber basically spelled built-in sequel. so best guess though, again, Manabyte said nothing about identity.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Biggest bet is Poe, he tends to be the most popular of the ST characters and has already appeared in a comic, many books and Resistance

13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    @Lee_ You give me too much credit. I predicted that it would be Plagueis way back before TFA. I thought that idea had a promising story problem, the least detrimental way forward without messing on the past, and building on the previous narrative structure; essentially following very specific and discernible patterns evident in Lucas' storytelling to that point. With Lucas describing his vision of the ST to Cameron with a "micro-biotic world" and "midichlorians" I still believe his character provided the clearest path to bridge Episode III to Episode VII and the basis for the story problem for the ST. This, coupled with the OT heroes, would provide a credible synthesis for ACT III. (I also suspect for topical reasons that Lucas would not have re-imagined the Empire as the First Order and instead would have opted for something like the CORPORATE SECTOR AUTHORITY, but I digress).

Before TROS I did think it conceivable that Palps appear. We knew, though, when we watched Palps tell Anakin about Plagueis, what fate Palps would meet at the hands of Anakin. Now we're led to believe Palps has "died many times" (we only saw the one time). A lot of creative license being flashed around.

Whomever the Baddie, the one stipulation, especially since the saga had been about Anakin/Vader, that it would be his character, your avatar, that would return to destroy the so-called Über-Villain in a final climactic confrontation.

I completely agree with you that STAR WARS is a series that I return to often and that quality is absent from the latest editions. Another series that has a similar quality is The Godfather and I'm always struck by the detail and the nuance in that series. I find myself looking up words like "pezzonovante". It's also interesting, since Coppola was the mentor of Lucas, to note the qualities and similarities between the two series; the sprawling, generational family drama.

EHT, Shamear and Lee_ like this.
  14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Very cool

Yeah, I remember the Plaguies discussions (passionate, lol), but also remember mention in those discussions (not sure exactly who it was that brought it up) about the idea of continuity in the 3 trilogies having better structure by bringing back the same villain for a final battle (that person must feel like a genius about now). I argued that resurrection was absurd in SW, and unfortunately, TROS did little to change my mind. Dr. Victor Frankenstein has no place in SW.

Huge missed opportunity to bring Anakin back, and would have just made SO much sense; JJ didn't keep his promise to tie the trilogies together. I really hope they use Hayden in something, really lame if they don't. Lots of opportunities, e.g. flashbacks in the Obi Wan series, perhaps to the clone war days only in live action. Maybe him and Ahsoka together in live action, that would kill it IMO.

I never thought of that comparison to the Godfather, but that is very true. I know Coppola suggested to Lucas that he start a cult/religion using the force idea, which Lucas was like, meh...

Immortiss and Shamear like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would love a Finn solo film where he develops as a Jedi. Please, Disney!

Korv likes this.
  16. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Oscar Isaac said that he would return to SW only if he needed to buy another house.[face_tee_hee]

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/06/oscar-isaac-star-wars-house

It's a joke but doesn't sound like he has anything SW lined up. They are usually much more coy if that's the case.

I also agree with @Fredrik Vallestrand that "form" is likely going to be animation rather than anything live action.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I’d bet my house, on the only character likely to return, being BB8.

Shamear likes this.
  18. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    That's a big possibility and good call cause they can use him in any timeline past or future, pretty much like they did 3PO and R2. Also fits in "one of the most popular characters in ST". Disappointing but yeah, I think you cracked the code.

Darth PJ likes this.
  19. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Lucas felt Frankenstein's place was here (Cushing played the good Dr. in the Hammer Films):
    [​IMG]

And here, right on the nose (may be a bit too much so).
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't agree with you more. I came to this realization through discussions in part with you.
    The Godfather is also a series developed in a similar time shifting style. It was released chronologically in the 1970's for television, with all kinds of deleted scenes included. HBO had it on its platform a few years back. It's about fathers and sons.

Those discussions with you and a couple of other members at the time before TROS were, in retrospect, quite enjoyable. Even though those discussions were at times tedious and polemical, the challenges to thought helped to process, develop and clarify an understanding in what one believes. Having to defend positions with evidence and coming to conclusions based on inferential logic. I learned through that process. So, thank you.

Lee_ likes this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That scene in ROTS was probably influenced by Frankenstein, but I think more in terms of the movie adaptations. One thing that surprised me when I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was that nothing like that is described when the monster comes to life; there is no lightning or anything. There just comes a point in his research when the monster comes alive (also that Frankenstein was the doctor and not the monster). My point was about resurrection, that's what I didn't like; bringing Palp back that way wasn't good IMO. The imagery, his mask coming on, and the breathing starting was actually pretty cool in ROTS.
    Yeah, those arguments reminded me a lot of the ones I would have in my rock bands, lol. Arguments are where some of the world's greatest creative endeavors arose from for sure. They should have let US hash out the story for TROS.

Immortiss likes this.
  21. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    The retcon BS would be worth it just to see how bad movies written by twitter are.

22. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Oscar Isaac is talking the same way George and the original cast were talking after ROTJ. They have a life and a career and they don't want to be typecast.

23. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Well Carrie and Mark barely did anything on screen between the trilogies, so maybe he should go the "typecast" route. :cool:

DarthRosie and Tython Awakening like this.
  24. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Law of diminishing returns

DarthRamRod likes this.
  25. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    One strike against BB8 as the returning character is that Manabyte says "that wouldn't work without ST". A droid isn't a character that needs a canon trilogy to work. So I'd say he is referring to a human because something from ST is relevant to his/her return. "In some form" likely means they haven't decided whether movie, streaming show or animated show though it's more likely movie/streaming for Manabyte mostly covers those rumors.