main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So if we assume they keep to 2 a day, there are 4 more days. And if they opt not release any further opinions this week or keep it to 4 cases a week, this could drag out as far as the next two weeks.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I generally think it won't be 2/day, per se -- but I think at this point it's going into at least next week.

Juliet316 and Yodaminch like this.
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Any chance they punt it to the next term?

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Based on what I read a bit ago, it would require reargument for that to happen, which is unlikely. So, no.

afrojedi and Vaderize03 like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    - SCOTUSBlog

Vaderize03 likes this.
  6. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Are they releasing opinions on Thursday or no? I couldn’t tell from SCOTUS blog.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not so far -- only conference.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Also, as far as we know Alito hasn't tried to rape anyone.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    No, he's just sexist and homophobic.

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Not exactly the place for this, but worth noting given our extended discussion of how particularly terrible this Administration has been about rule-making: Courts strike down asylum ban

The reason? You're supposed to have a public comment period between announcing and implementing the rule. It's not like they shortened it. Or even made a gimmick one of one hour or something. They just. . .literally didn't both acknowledging that this step existed. At all.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I want opinions tomorrow, dammit!

Faithless Electors! Trump’s taxes!

Where’s the beef?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Monday!

13. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Are we sure none tomorrow?

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    SCOTUSBlog says only Monday; Orders only (no Opinions) tomorrow in concept.

Juliet316 and Vaderize03 like this.
  15. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    The stories about Thomas considering retireing while there's a Republican president and Senate to oversee his replacement have been floating around for a while now but ... Alito to? I'm not sure I buy that. Especially from Hugh Hewitt.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It wouldn't totally surprise me if Thomas decided to up and retire, since as you say @Bilbo Fett , the rumors have floated around of a Thomas retirement for years, maybe a decade, now (I'd love to see the Democrats filabuster any nominee that Trump would appoint to take his place on the grounds of "Well Sen. Majority Leader (McConnell) you said we can't put somebody on the Court in a Presidential Election Year), but yeah, no I'm not buying Alito either.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017

McConnell already killed the filibuster for SC nominations.

vncredleader and Vaderize03 like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I forgot when I made that post.

20. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    But at least the balance wouldn’t change. While all those choices would be terrible, I’d much rather they replace Thomas or Alito with one of them than RBG or Breyer.

I don’t think Thomas wants to step down though—he’s been far more active in virtual oral arguments than at any previous time on the bench, and appears to be enjoying himself. This is probably more wishful thinking on Trump’s part. I’m sure he thinks it would boost conservative turnout the way the Kavanaugh confirmation did for the Republican Senate in the 2018 midterms.

That being said, I think there is an equal if not stronger chance that a vacancy benefits Democrats more than Republicans, as Democrats finally seem to be waking up to the importance of judicial nominations. An open seat, a one-sided confirmation fight and McConnell’s hypocrisy of ramming through a justice on a party line vote during an election year will likely blow back on him and juice Democratic turnout more than Republican.

Campaigning on the Court has been a powerful motivator for Republicans; I would urge Democrats to run against the Court should a vacancy appear. Make the issues healthcare, civil rights and voting rights, as all of them have been hanging by a thread with the current 5-4make up. Avoid abortion, as Republicans still seem more motivated by that than Democrats.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I would go more specific and focus in on the impact of the Election and potential Court vacancies on the ACA, especially since that will be up next term after the election.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Barr v. American Assn. of Political Consultants, Inc.

This was the robocall case... looks like a nightmare of opinions, lol. Sounds like basically the exception for robocalling cellphones by the government to collect debts didn't survive, but the TPCA did (due to express severability)? I'll wait for more commentary...

EDIT: SCOTUSBlog: "Here's the gist of it, because (as a commenter notes) it's complicated: "Six Members of the Court today conclude that Congress has impermissibly favored debt-collection speech over political and other speech, in violation of the First Amendment."

EDIT2: Faithless electors are coming in (two cases) and that's it for the day.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  23. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    States may bind electors. Thank G-d. And where the hell are the Trump tax cases?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, and (essentially) 9-0 and 8-0 respectively.

25. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Like I said, thank G-d. Profusely. Trump can't simply buy them off now.

Juliet316 likes this.