main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So are you going to start using the N-word, or are you going to demand African-Americans stop using it?

2. robert martins

robert martins Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2018
    no one should use it, period.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And we queer people can't call ourselves queer?

4. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    not if you don't want others to use it. If you think it's offensive , why would you use it?

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Connotation matters

6. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    So does perception. If people hear a term used enough they might start thinking it's OK to say it also.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's ok for non-queer people to say queer in the right context though. I would say the same for Chicks.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Clearly bob, you agree, by your own words, that Trump is wrong about confederate flags and monuments, and about changing the names of sports teams that Native Americans find offensive. Right?

9. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    Yes about confederate flags and monuments, Yes about the redskins, but no with changing the Cleveland Indians name, if that is changed the Dallas Cowboys should change names also.

10. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    ... because of the massive protests by the oppressed Cowboy-Americans, right?
    Now that you've admitted Trump is wrong, let's get to the next step - which is why he's defending confederate flags and monuments, and doesn't want sports names to be PC, and would hate the Dixie Chicks renamed to "the Chicks" if he didn't already hate them with every fiber of his believe.
    Because he is pandering to his base, which are racists and misogynists.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Racists, misogynists, and xenophobes.

12. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    I don't agree. But then again , I don't think that everyone who disagrees with me politically is a fascist, racist and sexist.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What are you talking about ? You don't need to be a major expert on social issues to know that white people can't say the N-word. It's not really some super complex aspect of the etiquette. But more generally, why do you even feel the need to pontificate on this? Black people can say it and white people can't. It's how it works and nobody has problems with it. I just don't get what bothers you of that, why you are even making an issue of it.

14. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    I don't get why using a racist term is OK to use by anybody.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Right. And I would go further. Any white person who thinks he or she should be allowed to use that word is a racist and trying to justify racism. “B...bu...but I heard it in a hip hop song” is just an excuse.

I don’t particularly like the word when I hear it in music, etc., but my thinking that I have any business telling Black people what they can or cannot do with a word that has been used to oppress and dehumanize them for centuries, would be another form of racism.

And yeah, if women want to call each other “chicks” or “*****es,” they can. And it’s not permission for misogynists to continue using the word to demean them.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Your cluelessness and lack of willingness to learn is your problem, and nobody else's

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Never gonna happen at least under the current way most people who matter view the first amendment. The first Amendment as seen by most politicians and what have you is a protection of all speech hate or not. So long as it’s not threatening the life of someone. It’s allowed. So unless there is a constitutional amendment about hate speech it’s not happening.

As to the above the group that the slur is addressed at should definitely be able to use it. It’s reclaiming it for their own. if a gay, bi or lesbian person wants to use the F word so be it. If an African American wants to use the n word great. If an Asian American wants to use the C word great. If a women wants to use the B word great. However any other groups should not be able to use those words. They can use them if they want to be degenerate human trash as that’s their right. But don’t expect people not to call you out on your racism/homophobia/sexism

18. robert martins

Oct 9, 2018
    The word portugee is an offense word whether it's used by a white guy or a fellow Portuguese person. I find it strange that liberals think it's OK to use the N-word under any circumstances. I would think you would want the term abolished like confederate symbols.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s fine you think like that, I know some African Americans who think the N word is offensive no matter what. But from my experience that’s a small minority. They have every right to that opinion, but other African Americans also have the right to using the N word.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the majority of Black people decide it should be abolished for everyone and make it happen, I’m on board.

Neither white liberals or white conservatives get to make any decisions whatsoever on that word though.

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This has already been explained to you in a very polite way. If you still don't get it, then that's on you. Why do you keep pestering everyone else about your cluelessness on the subject?

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Completely but again as far as I can tell only a small minority thinks it shouldn’t be used, which is why it’s fine for an African American to use it.

23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Well, you might find it strange but this is how it works, white liberals believe that they are not in the position to tell black people how they should speak, I'm afraid you'll have to deal with it. What I find weird is that you even want to have this conversation, frankly. It's not even a controversial issue so I don't get what kind of battle you are trying to fight.

24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Your "deep concern" is noted, in the sense that no one actually believes you.
    But let's get back to the topic at hand - you don't give a **** that someone is using a particular term, you're upset because they can use it and you can't.
    Get over yourself.

25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Just to be clear, I was referring to someone I met in person during September-to-November 2018 when I was talking about someone with dated views. I was not referring to anyone on this page in any shape or form.

On an unrelated topic, it's apparent in society that racism can go hand-in-hand with with other prejudices. And I agree with the others. Like 3sm1r, I'm wondering why this fight is craved.