main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate P E O P L E Interviews, Issue LXXV: Vaderize03!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Welcome back!

For the 75th issue (!!!) of PEOPLE, I interviewed the man of the moment, Jay, aka Vaderize03. For many of us, Jay has been an immense help during a difficult time, including for myself, personally, when he assuaged some of my fears about getting back to a routine when out in public in the age of Corona. Think about what this pandemic might’ve been like if we hadn’t had Jay’s educated expertise to look to in the COVID thread; we might’ve been that much more stressed out and frazzled. Through it all, Jay has never once said, “Stop bugging me and piss off!” Thank you so much for your patience and enthusiastic help, Vaderize!

Without further delay, the doctor will see us now.

Ok—right here, putting you on the spot: who will win in November?

I’m going to predict a wildly unlikely outcome: Trump wins the WH—barely—but the Democrats take back the Senate and keep control of the House. Trump then goes totally unhinged, possibly even trying to start a war, leading to enormous gains in the 2022 midterms and an FDR-style supermajority come January 2025.

In reality though, Biden will likely win but the GOP will hold the Senate, which should make things interesting if/when RBG retires. Stephen Breyer is also 82.

Just how screwed are we?

From the virus? Not very—I think we’ll have a vaccine by this time next year, and COVID-19 will slowly fade away.
    As a species, though, the behaviors that led us to this point show no sign of disappearing anytime soon. Pandemics such as these are nature’s shots across humanity’s bow, and we continually refuse to listen. At some point, something just as contagious but far more lethal is going to emerge, and we won’t be able to stop it in time.

On a broader note, this virus has brought out both the best and worst of humanity. I’m hoping the better angels of our nature prevail, but we do have short attention spans, and I’m fearful that on the major issues we face—climate change, income inequality, overpopulation, food and overall economic insecurity—we won’t be able to rise to the challenge. We’re capable, but continue to make all the wrong choices. The politicization of everything under the sun has made this problem exponentially worse.

So to sum up: I’d give us about a 50/50 chance of being here 250 years from now. Unless we either a) collectively get our act together as a species or b) make some serious technological breakthroughs in energy production and carbon scrubbing, we are likely in serious trouble going forward. I can see the world of Interstellar on the horizon, and it’s rapidly approaching.

Let’s talk about the politicization of everything under the sun. What caused that? Isn’t it a good thing to recognize that everything is political?

Well, I think that’s nothing new, but it’s so much worse now thanks to the internet and social media. The underlying cause rests in humanity’s inherent tribalism; even the most ‘woke’ of us have had tribal feelings at some point, we’ve just learned to move beyond them. Despite all of that, I do have hope that the airing of grievances might actually lead us to finally confront them. Not sure that will happen peacefully, but it’s going to happen.

So I would say yes, it’s good to acknowledge that most things are political, but that doesn’t mean politics has to be its defining characteristic. For example, climate change and its consequences are a fact—it exists independent of one’s feelings on the matter, and humans are responsible. Where politics comes in is in the solution, ie, how do we tackle the problem? Recognizing the political aspect of things isn’t good or bad per se, it’s what we do with that information. So far, our responses have been destructive as opposed to constructive.

COVID-19 is another example: the virus is here, it’s dangerous, and it’s not the flu, but that hasn’t stopped it from becoming a political football. I was hoping something like a global pandemic might be enough to cause the fever to break (so to speak), but there just hasn’t been enough carnage yet. I’m not pining for anyone to die, but it just might have to burn through these rural areas for people to stop thinking it’s a Democratic hoax. At the very least, it would be nice if we could stop treating science as the executioner of religion. It’s nothing of the kind, and the two must learn to co-exist. The pandemic is giving us an off-ramp—I hope we take it.

What’s a little joke you like to tell? Or just like, period?

"How do you feel?"
    "With my hands"

Let’s find out if you’re psychic—I’m thinking of a number between 1 and 20.

Eeeep, nope. 19.

Do you set any stock by notions of psychic abilities?

Not a chance. The application of quantum non-locality to human consciousness isn’t nearly strong enough yet.

I’ll pretend I understood what “quantum non-locality” is.

For this question, you’re going to answer it before I’ve asked it.

So basically talk about whatever you want to talk about :p

The point beyond which you cannot return.

Hmm.

Up to how close would you risk getting to a black hole?

Now for this next question, I’m going to ask you and then when I publish the interview, I’m going to hide the question, so all that people will see is the answer.

[a question hides here]

The unshakable will to live.

[and another hides here]

Knight Writer. We’re friends offline.

Alright, for a different kind of experimental question: this time the answer will be secret. I’ll ask a question, and it’ll be left to the JCC to wonder how you might’ve answered.

What should you never say to a medical doctor?

[an answer hides here]

What’s a really funny sounding medical word or term that you discovered in your studies?

Subungual
    Dysguesia
    Purulent
    Encephalopathic
    Endocarditis

How about this: take five common medicines or treatments and rename them after JCCers.

Coruscant-o-floxacin
    Super Watto saline
    Esmir-cardiogram (from echocardiogram)
    Darth Guy enema
    Heels-droxychloroquine

This is a question I just asked someone else: what’s a saying, an inspirational quote, or an aphorism that you take issue with?

“It is what it is.”

Total cop-out and an excuse not to confront a problem.

It’s well-known on the JCC now that you are a doctor. People on the Covid thread ask you questions and you’ve obliged.

Why did you become a doctor?

So, why did I become a doctor?

My late father and grandfather were both physicians (cardiologist and internist, respectively). My grandfather was a flight surgeon in the Burma theater during WWII, and he loved to talk about it. Starting at age 6, he began to tell me stories about his adventures treating patients on the battlefield. As I got older, this progressed to reading to me about disease from this 1965 Merck Manual (to this day, I’m still obsessed with rabies and how it alters human behavior).

Once he saw that my interest was sincere, my father (who was in private practice with my grandfather), began taking me on rounds with him at the hospital, usually on Sunday mornings. I also used to come to his office and see patients with him, learning the basics of things like the sound of different heart murmurs and how to recognize the signs of congestive heart failure and its different types. Naturally, my biggest strengths in school were in the life sciences, and I quickly landed on the pre-med track in college. Due to some difficulties with grades in my freshman year, I took a year after college to do some graduate work before applying to medical school (which is highly competitive in the US, though it has gotten less so due to the high debt burden an American medical education leaves one with).

I started medical school in 1999, and graduated in 2003. After an internal year learning internal medicine, I began a residency in anesthesiology, a 3-year commitment in the US. Unfortunately, my Crohn’s disease—which had been quiescent since age 8—made a roaring comeback in 2005, and I had to go on powerful immunosuppressive therapy to calm it down. That, combined with the fact that I hated my chosen field, led me to switch back to internal medicine in 2007, and I finished training in 2009 (I took a year off to moonlight between 2006-2007 after leaving my first program in 2006).

I first began practice as a hospital-based internist in 2009 at a small community hospital close to home. Not liking being employed, in 2011 I accepted an offer to start a two-physician practice covering a small Long Term Acute Care Hospital (LTACH) in 2011. I practiced there for 5 years, following which the administration terminated our agreement in favor of having community-based physicians (who could give their for-profit institution more referrals than we could) cover the facility. Although angered by my treatment at the time, it was a blessing in disguise, as the company which operated the hospitals subsequently went bankrupt and the hospital closed. I then joined a private group as a Hospitalist for one year as a placeholder while I looked for something more permanent, which led me to my current practice, where I’ve subsequently been for three years as of June 2nd. I’m still in hospital medicine, and am very much enjoying myself as I’ve finally found the right fit.

I’m also very involved in organized medicine. I currently chair my county medical society, after serving as past president as well as treasurer. I co-edit a county medical society magazine with a neighboring county (we combined our publications several years ago for financial and content reasons). I’m also involved with thestate medical society and am getting more involved in politics.

Why are you obsessed with rabies?

When I was a kid, the thought of the virus that could turn the human being into a wild animal simultaneously enthralled and terrified me. In some ways it still does. It also has the highest case/fatality ratio of any pathogen known to man at 99%.

Are you a big fan of zombie movies, by any chance?

Yes! 28 Days Later is one of my all-time favorites. Love the Wold War Z novel, as well. The movie not so much.

So with your knowledge of medicine, rabies, and the zombie genre, what’s something you know or an idea you have that would put a fascinating, maybe scary new spin on a zombie book, movie, or any other medium?

My biggest issue with 28 Days Later was the 12 second incubation period of the virus, a mistake that was also repeated in World War Z. That is physiologically impossible; I think for dramatic purposes, being able to hide the virus behind an incubation period dramatically ratchets up tension and makes any story, whether written or on screen, far more interesting. So that’s how I would play it.

Ironically enough, the original screenplay of the sequel 28 Weeks Later had just such a plot point, but it was abandoned in later rewrites. I would love to have seen the original version brought to life instead.

It’s zombie apocalypse time... for real! What’s some sort of life hack for the zombie apocalypse that people on the JCC should know? Maybe something medical?

If you douse yourself in formaldehyde, you’ll smell like a corpse and maybe they won’t attack you? Also, according to the Zombie Survival Guide, cutting off a bitten limb doesn’t prevent infection.

What is something that only you can do? (Perhaps not literally true, but indulge me)

Hmm, I need to give that one some thought...

Of course

Let’s talk a little about Covid. You’ve been a great source of information on the JCC. Have there been any instances of misinformation you’ve noticed on our forum?

Not deliberately (at least since J-Rod and the artist formerly known as Starbob left) but the means by which the virus is spread continues to evolve as our knowledge base grows. The biggest point of contention in the US seems to be regarding the use of masks. In the Senate, most of us seem to respect science, and so this has not been much of an issue. Of course, we do not represent the world outside our little sanctuary :).

So when we started this interview, George Floyd was still alive and the protests hadn’t yet started. How will these be a factor in Covid? Especially since all 50 states have had protests? Will the second wave be larger than the first?

(Have you thought more about that one thing only you can do?)

Yes I believe there will be a second wave, and it will likely be worse than the first as people are not social distancing during the protests and thousands of individuals are attending each rally. Assuming an ‘R-naught’ of around 3-4 for SARS-CoV-2 (each infected person spreads the disease to 3-4 other people)...well, you do the math. And it will be much worse because people are ‘over it’ and likely won’t agree to lock down again. There’s a real risk of chaos should hospitals get flooded again and be forced to turn people away. That may actually require use of the military, as opposed to a photo-op from Donald Trump.

In terms of the one thing only I can do, I’m really drawing a blank here lol. I can only think of cheesy things, like “make my wife happy”. How do others answer that question?

Don’t worry, we’ll figure out what it is.

Let’s go in a wild science fiction-y direction...

What do you think about AI doctors?

We don’t have the technology yet to replace human physicians with AI. You’d literally need to replicate human consciousness inside a machine, which I personally don’t believe is possible. In my humble (and unscientific) opinion, consciousness is both a fundamental part of the universe and non-computational/non-quantizable. If that turns out to be the case, we’ll never produce a machine that is truly ‘conscious’—only get better at designing programs which flawlessly mimic human responses. Computers are a useful tool to aid in diagnosis and treatment algorithms, but the presence of experience and intuition are not currently machine-reproducible and I don’t believe they ever will be.

That’s not to say that logic programs can’t continue to be improved which will help prevent and treat human disease, but there’s a lot more to being a doctor than regurgitating information; the ‘human touch’ requires a human, and AI can’t replace that.

On a similar note, what do you think about teleconference doctor visits?

They’re long overdue. Not a substitute for a yearly physical or sick visit when an exam is needed, but great for communication with one’s physician between scheduled visits. I’m a big fan.

Amazing how the regulatory hurdles that had been standing in the way before now suddenly vaporized when the pandemic arrived. Says a lot about the state of American medicine and how ‘top-heavy’ it is where bureaucracy/insurance/administrative bloat are concerned.

I’ve always been fascinated by hypochondriacs... how do you deal with them?

Very carefully. Lol.

I use a multi step process: validate their concerns, explore their fears, then focus on what is most troubling to them. Once it’s out in the open, discuss ways to help manage their anxiety by providing facts related to their concerns (ex, you can’t get HIV from touching the same surface as a patient who’s positive). I finish up by exploring whether or not our conversation has assuaged their concerns; if not, I ask what would help them reach a greater sense of calm over their anxiety. I also try to keep them to one specific complaint or concern during our time together.

Doesn’t work with everyone, but it’s a script which has served me well so far.

What about family members, friends, acquaintances who try to have an impromptu doctor visit? Are you always working in some way or do you draw clear boundaries?

My late father, who was a cardiologist, always told me not to treat familymembers, and I believe that is sound advice. On occasion, I will call in prescriptions for antibiotics and offer unsolicited advice when asked, but more often than not I end “with you need to see your regular doctor.”

I personally think it’s a huge mistake treat loved ones medically, as it can lead to unintentional mistakes and have disastrous consequences.

What has most surprised you about being a doctor? Something that even your grandfather and father hadn’t conveyed to you...

The changes that have occurred to physician autonomy. Both my father and grandfather were fiercely independent practitioners from a time where that was the norm, but nowadays, said autonomy has been whittled down in favor of a more 'team-based' approach. This has both advantages and detractors, but they couldn't prepare me for it because it wasn't in their worldview either when they trained or when they were in practice. So that was probably the biggest thing.

This has continued as an attending, with nurse practitioners and physician assistants (as well as pharmacists) pushing for the legal authority to practice medicine without any supervision. It's very dangerous, but quite politically-incorrect to say so. That is changing though as more stories of malpractice come to light.

Do you ever think about opening your own practice?

No. The challenges and low reimbursement in my area make private practice impossible unless I go concierge, and for various reasons I have no desire to do that.

So this is something I’m personally curious about, even though some readers might roll their eyes... have you ever seen anything on the job that you were at a loss to explain? Like a miracle or the supernatural?

So...I had a patient once tell me about her near-death experience. It was beautiful and haunting. She had the full buffet—floating out of her body, seeing her life in review, meeting dead loved ones, the tunnel and light, a sense of meeting G-d. She had an almost glow about her as she told it. The most profound part of her account was when she said that the experience seemed more real and she felt more alive than her normal waking consciousness inside her human body. After what she experienced, she felt that being in her body “diminished” her somehow.

How’s that for a wow factor? This occurred during my residency; when I told my attending about it, he wanted to hear it for himself, so we went back and she recounted the story for him. At one point, he remarked “you know you were dead for over four minutes”, to which she replied “why do you assume that means I wasn’t aware?” I’ve never quite forgotten that comment. It was a remarkable statement.

Favorite movie? 28 Days Later Book? The Silmarillion TV show? Battlestar Galactica—2005 version US city? San Francisco US president? Lincoln Historical period? 20th century from WWII to the fall of communism Philosopher? Don’t have one Planet other than earth? Coruscant (it just looks cool) Fine dining meal? Wild-caught sockeye salmon with steamed broccoli and a Pinot Noir Cause? Reproductive rights/LGBTQ rights

What do you like about the Silmarillion?

The way it focuses on characters to advance the narrative. I also love when I can learn about a world through the eyes of its characters. The original Star Wars was the same way.

Maybe you should write a medical Lord of the Rings! What would such a thing entail, I wonder?

The search for a lost formula that cures cancer or stops aging, perhaps? Or maybe both?

What do the most challenging diseases all have in common in terms of how elusive it is to find a cure or treatment that puts off death indefinitely?

The body is exquisitely balanced on so many levels; our understanding is incomplete which makes it hard to pinpoint the answer to your question. First principles are finally beginning to emerge, but it’s going to take time.

Have you thought more about that thing only you can do?

I’m pretty good at reading people emotionally and adjusting my style of interacting to try and put them at ease. It’s a skill that helps me when caring for patients and interacting with their families. Some people enjoy a lighter touch, while others prefer a more formal tone. I get it wrong sometimes, but not all that often.

If you were a superhero, what would be your powers?

That’s easy:

Telepathy
    Hypnosis
    Immortality

Colors? Suit? Cape or no? Mask?

Business suit. No colors or mask. I want people to know me, dammit!

Do you want to live forever?

Not necessarily, more like be impervious to the usual things that kill ‘ordinary’ humans.

Is it more about being able to meet death on your terms and in your own good time?

Yes, I would say so. I see a lot of it in my chosen profession, and I definitely feel like we don’t have enough time in this world. We often also waste the time that we do have on petty things.

In her interview, Tina predicted that with medical advances, she’d make it to 145. What do you think, is the first 150-year-old alone right now?

Potentially yes. The problem is primarily a genetic one, and we solve that, the rest will fall into place. It’s a daunting task though, and will likely take decades.

Ok, let’s say it’s 100 years from now, the JC is still up, and five different users are still around. Who are they; what are they bickering about?

Me
    KnightWriter
    Vivec
    dp4m
    Wocky

We’re bickering about the true definition of the word liberal, as well as whether or not Obama was good for the United States or set progressive causes back.

Who’s your favorite superhero?

Superman! Loved Christopher Reeve as a kid. Can't stand the new movies though, maybe because I'm biased? It's like Doctor Who--Tom Baker will always be the only 'real' doctor to me. Even though the new series is far superior in so many ways, it will never match the original's charm.

Do you think superheroes are good or bad for society?

Terrible. They romanticize ideals that are universally shared but rarely practiced. Example: until recently, almost all of them were white.

What, according to you, makes a real hero?

Selflessness without bravado or the need for recognition. There is no higher ideal, IMHO.

Has interacting with users from other countries changed your mind on any major issues?

Yes. My views on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have done a complete 180. Super Watto helped with that.

How so?

I was rabidly and unapologetically pro-Israel for years, offering a full-throated defense of the IDF’s actions and placing the blame solely on the Palestinians for halting the peace process due to the bombings. That was wrong, and it took a long time for me to be able to see both sides.

I remain pro-Israel, but am now pro-Palestinian as well. I’m also very anti-Netanyahu. He’s a problem.

What do you get the most out of your time on the boards?

Connecting with people from all walks of life and polishing my debating skills, as well as honing my ability to articulate my thoughts.

Have you made real-life friends here?

Yes, Josh (Knight Writer). Never met in person but we talk on the phone often. Good man.

And awhile back, Darth Mischievious (Dennis). But he's been gone awhile.

Is Star Wars irredeemably terrible?

Now to Star Wars...the originals are great, the prequels shouldn’t have been made except for Episode III, and the sequels were a waste of space except for The Last Jedi (it was the only one that was even remotely original). Harrison Ford carried every one of the films he was in. Ian McDiarmid tried to rescue the prequels, but he just didn’t have enough screen time or source material to work with (he was great in Revenge of the Sith though).

Thanks again for reading, all! It means a great deal to both myself and Jay.

Past Issues

73. Point Given (scroll to bottom for complete list of issues 1-72)
    74. Princess_Tina

~Cor

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I know this one: useful in certain situations, with uncontrollable bowel evacuation as a side effect...

Also, name drop -- thank you! <3

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    He was describing a nightmare scenario.

heels1785 , Master_Lok and Vaderize03 like this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I’d love to be here for another century... who the hell wouldn’t?! :p Great, great read.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Live long and prosper! ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Master_Lok and Vaderize03 like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Very nice interview guys.

Vaderize03 and Coruscant like this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    How’s your handwriting skills?

Pensivia, Sarge, Master_Lok and 4 others like this.
  9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Perfect.

10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for the good read!

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    wow, even in the future it's going to be everyone vs me :p

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    At least we'll dunk on Wocky some of the time?

Yes... and? :p

Vaderize03, Lord Vivec and 3sm1r like this.
  13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Dammit, I should’ve asked this!

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Damn, can't believe I have to put Vaderize on ignore now.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Thanks for a lovely interview gentlemen.

16. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Thank you everyone! This was quite a bit of fun...and thank you to Coruscant for your patience! I was often slow to respond due to work/family commitments, but we got it done.
    Aw come on, don't ignore me! I'm fun at parties (especially after a glass of wine) :p.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you gentleman for a great read.

Vaderize03 and Coruscant like this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Nice interview, peoples.

I totally forgot that I lived through the AIDS epidemic. There was also misinformation then. I remember accidentally cutting my finger and the fear of thinking the virus would somehow get in. There was less news back then - now there’s too much.

You’ve been amazing for the boards, taking time out of your day to give us the word from the trenches. Thanks for alerting us to important bits of information you’ve found along the way, and calmly and diplomatically pointing out the occasional bits of misinformation that made their way into the group.

Total shoo-in for JCC’er of the year.

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I had no idea you knew Josh IRL. Josh and I are RL friends as well. Not enough people know how great Josh is.

Good interview!

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Great interview!

Master_Lok, Vaderize03 and Coruscant like this.
  21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I spoke to Josh on the phone once and was pleasantly surprised how wonderful he was and not the poop head mod I thought he was back then.

22. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    You forgot an important question Cor. @Vaderize03 what type doctor do you take after? House, Hawkeye, Banner, or Bones?

23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Probably Dr. Satan.
    [​IMG]

Master_Lok and Vaderize03 like this.
  24. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    Keep up the good work! Stay safe :)

Master_Lok, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    A mixture of Hawkeye and Bones, probably. Lol. Definitely not House, he's a d**k (not to mention drug user).

And thank you again, everyone. We're all keeping a watchful (and baleful) eye on the rising COVID numbers down south this week. They're coming up in NY, NJ and PA as well. My census is down to 2 patients, but I suspect it will be creeping up soon. I'm only on this service until Friday, but I'm concerned for my partners who take over next week.

@Darth Punk

Love ya!