main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It really seems like you're complaining about every single element of this blurb just for the sake of complaining. There's not going to be a big reveal about the fact that the inventor is a kid - from the description, it doesn't even seem like his parents are accompanying him on the trip. That's why Vernestra is in charge of supervising him. And considering the plot of the book seems to be about what they do after the ship explodes, the blurb is just summarizing the stuff that's going to be established in the first few chapters.

2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    In my experience most fifteen year olds think they have messed up lives to begin with:p

It's probobly less that their smarter then adults and more that peaple in the GFFA learn at a faster rate then those in our own, 21st Century world.

A fifteen year old in 2020 is, on average, probobly way smarter then a fifteen year old in 1420, after all (or, at least, I would hope this is true;))

I'm sure this is going end well...[face_laugh]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    true but yeah I would hope there smarter .

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would like to see the world between worlds sometime in this era.

What if Momin was not the only person in history to travel from one era to another using the WBW?

Instead of getting an ancient Sith pop up in the High Republic era, why not an ancient jedi from the old republic era? Perhaps a Jedi Crusader.

Interesting to have a Jedi out of time in this era. One who while is a Jedi, still shares differences to the HR Jedi because he is from another era. One who came from a war torn Republic, experience in fighting the Sith. Dealing with the fact he is the last of his generation. Still using old Republic armor and wielding a crossguard Lightsaber.

5. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    What about an appearance from Palpatine himself? As far as I can tell the WBW works in a way that makes that possible. If he has access to it in any way maybe he could experimentally push himself into any time/era. It would actually be pretty cool for one of the High Republic works to have a scene or two where a shadowy figure ghosts them or such..

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I never want to see that happen.

The High Republic era is a way to give us a galaxy without Palpatines meddling (could have been the ST, but well.......). Him influencing the HR era would be a bad idea.

We already have the Rule of Two of this era to explore someday.

Serfer, TK-2814, Slater and 1 other person like this.
  7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Maybe not Palpatine going to the past but more a forshadowing of him. A ghostly figure that will become Palpatine? Like he is inevitable? Who knows what dark experiments or ghosts jumped into him...

At the very least I expect the Darkstaff!

8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    No, that's Thanos:p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    ColeFardreamer likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanos?
    [​IMG]
    Melt stick? No, no, no, it's not a melt stick offence. Pass me, pass me that other one.....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    ColeFardreamer and K2771991 like this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  12. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    "Check it out live on YouTube!" Thanks, Star Wars Books UK. That's really helpful. Not like we need a link or anything...

K2771991 likes this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Friday 23rd, huh.

15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I think that's referring to this panel:

Daneira likes this.
  16. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014

Sskeer looks awesome. I also love how the jedi have battle armour.

K2771991 likes this.
  17. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/insid...blic-meet-the-jedi-knights-and-masters-part-2

In an exclusive series, StarWars.com is pulling back the curtain on Star Wars: The High Republic, a publishing epic set about 200 years before the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, with insights from creators, new details, and never-before-seen concept art. Arriving January 2021, the story will be explored through multiple voices and span adult and young adult novels, children’s books, and comics from a variety of publishers. In this installment, StarWars.com gets a first look at some of the starring Jedi Knights and Masters, as well as a powerful High Republic family.

Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda, two of the greatest Jedi, lived their lives with a quiet reserve. They taught patience. They respected the opinions of others. They were understanding and thoughtful.

Not all Jedi were like Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Star Wars: The High Republic, Lucasfilm’s multi-platform, cross-publisher epic launching in January 2021, will introduce the world to Sskeer: a tough Jedi Master that doesn’t quite fit the mold. As such, he sounds very, very fun.

“Sskeer plays a major role in the Marvel Comics ongoing and is an absolute joy to write,” says Cavan Scott, one of the writers behind The High Republic. “He’s a gruff, opinionated Trandoshan who has been around the block more times than he cares to remember. Loyal, but brutally honest, you can always be sure Sskeer will tell you exactly what’s on his mind…or so Avar Kriss and his fellow Jedi think. That’s all about to change. This is a Jedi Master with a secret that is tearing him apart.” Still, The High Republic is set at a time when the Jedi are at their peak. And none exemplify that more than Avar Kriss.

Revealed in the last installment of “Inside Star Wars: The High Republic,” Kriss is the best of the best. “She’s a wise and compassionate Jedi Master who plays a major role in the Great Disaster that opens the story,” says Lucasfilm Publishing creative director Michael Siglain. He also offers StarWars.com one more interesting bit of lore that’s surely in the Jedi Archives: “The answer to the question, who is the ‘Hero of Hetzal’, which we’d teased? It’s Avar Kriss. But the answer to why is she the “Hero of Hetzal” can be found in Light of the Jedi this January.” Beyond the noble Jedi, however, there are other power players in the galaxy.

As mentioned in May by Siglain, the San Tekkas are a force during the High Republic era.

“Once just a family of hard-scrabble hyperspace prospectors seeking valuable routes in the outer reaches of the galaxy,” Charles Soule, one of Scott’s co-creators on The High Republic, explains to StarWars.com, “the San Tekka clan has become a dynasty, at the forefront of technologies and techniques that let Chancellor Lina Soh’s great galactic Republic continue to expand safely to new areas. Overseen by scions Marlon and Vellis San Tekka, the clan operates in close conjunction with the Republic, and becomes crucial to its response to the Great Disaster. But the San Tekkas have a secret…their rise did not come without cost.” Sounds like Sskeer and the San Tekkas have something in common: events from the past that they want to keep hidden.

Look for StarWars.com’s official page for all things Star Wars: The High Republic to launch in August, and check out never-before-seen concept art of Sskeer and Jedi Knight Avar Kriss in mission attire below.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sskeer

[​IMG]

Avar Kriss

Mission attire includes protective gear, holster for lightsaber, and wrist-guards with a removable comlink.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  18. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Really Liking all the flushing out the characters and lore for this era, hopefully they continue this when they go past phase 1

19. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    loving the look so far.

20. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    That's a much better look for Avar.
    Best wishes

AusStig likes this.
  21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    How long do tandos live in Canon, since in legends they only lived to be 40ish didn't they?

22. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    From WotC's Ultimate Alien Anthology (2003): "Child 1-11; young adult 12-14; adult 15-34; middle age 35-49; old 50-59; venerable 60+."

Checked their entry in Alien Archive (2019) but no mention of lifespan.

(I realize it's just concept art and not finalized, but) I like the sword point / flame tip on Sskeer's saber blade. Just noticed the hilt has a hand guard, too.

AusStig likes this.
  23. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    A benefit of works featuring Aphra is that, given that their about an archeologist, they are very useful for organicly sneaking in references and teases to upcoming works set in the past, a gimmick I would'nt be suprised we continue to see used in future stories featuring the character.

Actually as I'm thinking about Aphra I just conceived that I really would'nt mind an Uncharted style action-adventure/puzzle game featuring the character. That would be a blast.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    PimpBacca and AusStig like this.
  24. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I bet we will see a lot more awesome looking Jedi.

K2771991 likes this.
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/a-test-of-courage-exclusive-excerpt-and-interview

As it turns out, the upcoming middle grade novel Star Wars: The High Republic: A Test of Courage may just have a secret Force power all its own.

“I think adults tend to get bogged down in our very complex yet somehow mundane daily lives, and one of the best things about kids books is we’re allowed to remember that life was once exciting and a vast, magical mystery. Especially Star Wars books!” says A Test of Courage author Justina Ireland. “Middle grade books are a great way to visit the galaxy for a little while and remember why we all fell in love with Star Wars in the first place. And for kids, it’s a place for them to interact with ideas of character and struggle without the limitations imposed by icky grown-ups.”

Coming January 5, 2021, Ireland’s A Test of Courage is one of the tentpole releases in the Star Wars: The High Republic publishing epic, which will take readers back to the peak of the Jedi Order, centuries prior to the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. The novel follows a ragtag group of young adventurers — newly-minted teen Jedi Vernestra Rwoh, a young Padawan, audacious tech-kid Avon Starros, and the son of an ambassador – after a galaxy-wide disaster leaves them stranded on a jungle moon. When it comes to Vernestra, previously revealed in StarWars.com’s “Inside Star Wars: The High Republic series, the fledgling Jedi may represent all that is good about Jedi of the era.

“I love that Vernestra isn’t prideful, she doesn’t see herself as any kind of hero or anyone special,” Ireland says. “Rather, she believes wholeheartedly in the Order and the Force, and she believes her job in the galaxy to promote the best qualities of both by helping others and being responsible and level headed even under the worst of conditions.” And nothing tests a Jedi quite like an impulsive non-Jedi friend.

One of the stars of A Test of Courage is Avon Starros (whose last name is sure to grab the attention of Star Wars comics fans, as it reveals a relation to Han Solo’s maybe-ex Sana Starros). Avon is no Jedi, and holds a strong if occasionally contentious friendship with Vernestra. “Avon and Vernestra have an almost sisterly bond, with Vernestra being the annoying older sister who always knows the right thing to do and Avon being a little less restrained by convention and silly things like ‘rules.’ Ireland says. “This only becomes more obvious after they are marooned on a wild jungle moon with acid rain, creepy vines, and strange creatures. They really have only each other to rely on. At the end of the day they care about one another and maybe even respect each other more than they think, something that becomes even more apparent when they are forced to work together.”

In StarWars.com’s exclusive excerpt of A Test of Courage, we get a glimpse of the dynamic between Avon and Vernestra, as the latter begins a new chapter in her life. “Vernestra (sometimes Vern, much to her chagrin) is excited about going on her first real Jedi mission after being promoted to Knight a few months ago at the very tender age of 15, and even though it’s really just a glorified babysitting job she’s still excited,” Ireland says. “Because at 16 she understands that doing your best, no matter the assignment, is the most important thing and, honestly, that’s just the kind of cinnamon roll Jedi she is.”

Star Wars: The High Republic: A Test of Courage arrives January 5, 2021, and is available for pre-order now.