main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Disappointing if true...

I was looking forward to the next batch of films being a fresh start of sorts. New era, new characters, without as much baggage. I very much dislike Rian Johnson's vision for Star Wars and I also dislike the division TLJ has caused. I don't want another decade of online bickering over Star Wars...

Korv, Helloothere, Obironsolo and 2 others like this.
  2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Somehow they all look scared because of KK's evil laugh. :p

3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I can't imagine that another Johnson Star Wars film will se the light of day... Not unless he has come up with a killer concept/story...

Shamear likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    that's probaly why it might take him long as he has a killer concenpt/story like GL prequels maybe. For all the directors fired he's the olny one not being fired or let go, like Colin was for his book of henry. Also i welcome more RJ star wars movies, let the internet bicker and hate.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    They can't really fire Johnson unless he's actively employed i.e. under contract to deliver a new Star Wars film. By the sounds of things, it sounds like he may be developing ideas/concepts, but it doesn't seem like that's part of an 'official' pre-production of a new film. If rumours are to be believed, Johnson is Kennedy's man, and if she's out of favour (who knows?), then it's unlikely Johnson's ideas will get green lit. But as I say, this is all subject to rumour control.

Shamear and Tython Awakening like this.
  6. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I like how you used the word contract. That's essential to the discussion on new RJ star wars films. If the fans see no evidence of a contractual agreement, we should assume Disney has not continued the commitment. If there was a contract for new RJ films, we would see Disney reaffirm it's commitment. I'm aware the announcements in Nov 2017 reached up to Disney but those announcements have not been reaffirmed in 2020 to my knowledge.

It's not healthy for anyone to assume a contract exists when one party does not acknowledge it's existence. The result is RJ's reputation can be damaged. And someone cannot be fired if they are not currently under contract.

Darth PJ likes this.
  7. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    It's very likely that RJ was essentially "fired" by the fans, but never by Disney. Too many fans don't want him back, and they've pushed Disney's hand. And now Disney has been put in a situation where if they go forward with another RJ SW movie, it will be in spite of half the fan base's opinion. Why make a movie when you know half the target audience doesn't want it? There are so many other filmmakers to choose from...why go with the same guy who divided the fan base? Makes no sense, IMO.

guittarjedi likes this.
  8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I have zero doubt that Chow after the Kenobi series (If it's successful which I'm sure it will be) is defiantly gonna be on the fast track for a Star Wars film down the line.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    @Immortiss Even the fan film ending is better. This makes me think of all the missed opportunities.

K2771991 and Immortiss like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Women laughing. A threat to men around the world since Boudicca laughed at the Romans.

11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Nah, KK laughing at directors is a different category of threat.

12. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
  13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Why are you still going on about whether or not there is a contact? Whether or not he is under any sort of contract will not factor in to whether or not they 'announce' his departure or reaffirm that it's still happening.

14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    99% of star wars fans have no idea who Rian Johnson is. I have one friend who doesn't like TLJ and the rest of my family and friends enjoy the film.

DarthRosie and Riv_Shiel like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    If you read back, someone suggested that Rian Johnson was still in gainful employment by Lucasfilm and had not been 'fired' or 'let go'. One can't be 'fired' or 'let go' unless under contract.

Tython Awakening and Shamear like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Same could be said for the GOT guys but we know they were let go, and they had barely begun and probaly not seen ligh of day before 2024.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You can be let go even if not under contract. It's called not having a contract renewed.

My point is that we have no idea what RJs contractual situation is like, despite what Tython insists.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It would've been smart if they would have looked at rough drafts of, say, Return of the Jedi for a bit of inspiration. Using some of the ideas Lucas had bandied around with Kasdan in his first attempt at resolving a trilogy. I just don't think the skill set is there when it comes to the writers and director.

Shamear and Lee_ like this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I didn't know that that was the case before I saw TROS, but yeah, JJ did flop the ending; I had high hopes with all of his talk of tying all the trilogies together. I don't think the brief voices of a bunch of force ghosts at once and a resurrected villain really did anything close to tying it together. There were other things about it overall that are bummer in retrospect, like Luke never having even one real lightsaber fight in the ST. Would like to know how Lucas intended to end it.

Immortiss and Shamear like this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That's largely semantics. If one doesn't have a contract, then there is nothing to terminate, other than perhaps good will or a gentleman's agreement. Being fired is not really the same as a film studio deciding not to take a pitch or treatment forward e.g. George Lucas wasn't sacked from The Force Awakens. Point being (which was the original reply), one can't argue that Johnson is still in favour with Disney simply because he hasn't been formally/publicly fired or let go. However, yes, I'd agree that we don't know Johnson's contractural situation for sure... we're speculating, but I'd take an educated guess that he's not formally under contract to deliver anything.

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Until we know otherwise we can't say he's been let go either. You're the one arguing semantics when someone just happened to go with 'as far as we know'...

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Lets wait for the 2022 celebration, lol. we won't hear off his movies happenning or not until then beside some rumors.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think you've got your argument back to front... I never stated that Johnson had been 'let go'. I was refuting the claim that because Johnson had not been publicly fired after TLS, he remains in favour with Disney/Lucasfilm. I see no evidence to suggest he's been fired, hired or is in or out of favour. What I do know is that no formal statement has been made to indicate he's under contract to deliver another Star Wars film. Therefore, I believe it's logical to assume he's not currently under contract.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    No, that's not how this works. Until we hear that he's been 'let go' (i.e. no longer scheduled to make a film) by either Lucasfilm or a credible source, the assumption to be made that he hasn't been let go.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It would be merciful to everyone else if two people in this thread could "let go".