main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Out of the Mists (Captain Tarpals Pentathlon -- 2020 Summer Fanfic Olympics)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Seldes_Katne, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Welcome to my thread of stories for the 2020 Summer Fanfic Olympics. I’m generally not a sports fan; however, a Fanfic Olympics is a sporting event I can get behind. Thank you to Devilinthedetails for posting this idea on the boards.

I have a habit of writing about (sometimes obscure) background characters, and Captain Tarpals is probably more obscure than most. He has fewer than 15 minutes of screen time in The Phantom Menace, appears in the background in one episode of The Clone Wars series, and plays a fairly prominent role two episodes later. If you’re not familiar with him, there’s a brief bio here.

Index
    Stories in this pentathlon will include:

• 400 Word Cross Country: 400 words about your character or couple with any theme. "Midnight Raid"
    • 110 Word Hurdle: 110 words in which the name or names of your character, couple, family, or friendship aren’t mentioned. "Parting Gift for a Queen"
    • Prime Time Coverage: 500+ words of action, adventure, or excitement with your chosen character, family, friendship or couple as the star. "Choosing the Path"
    • AU Archery: A story of at least 100 words set in an alternate universe with your character, family, friendship, or couple. "Eyes of Memory"
    • 4 x 100 Relay: 4 x 100 words on the four types of love (affection, intimacy, friendship, and charity) as experienced by your character, family, friendship or couple in one post. "Life Changes"
    • Single-Sentence Shot Put: "Riding the Zalaaca"

[​IMG]

I started writing about Gungans in general and Tarpals in particular 20 years ago, and have a fairly substantial "head cannon," none of which (to the best of my knowledge) contradicts movie cannon -- it just expands it (rather a lot, actually...:D). You don't need to have read any of my other pieces to understand the stories posted here. If you're interested in seeing any of them, I refer you to my account at Fanfiction.net: Seldes Katne.

Enough nattering from the author. Let the games begin! :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Parting Gift for a Queen (110 Words Hurdle)​

Padmé gazed at the grey, bewhiskered Gungan sitting stiffly beside her. “What can I do for you, Captain?”

“My have a gift for yousa,” the Gungan replied, and offered a small, crystalline bottle. “My thought yousa might be needin’ diss’n.”

Padmé accepted the bottle and raised her eyebrows.

“First time wesan met, wesan t’ought someone else was Queen. Now wesan know you no matter what.”

“How…?”

The Gungan tapped the side of his nose.

“Oh.”

“Drink little of diss’n, changes yousan scent. ‘Nuff dere for t’ree, four uses. Mekk yousa safer. Yousa goin’ dangerous place now.”

Padmé nodded in agreement. The Republic Senate was indeed a dangerous place. “Thank you.”

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, I LOVE that you chose to focus on Captain Tarpals for this. What a unique choice! I always liked the Gungans from TPM, and this is proving to be an excellent character study so far. I'm intrigued to see what you have to share with us next!

Because this is off to a great beginning. I loved Tarpals' parting gift to Padmé. It's so thoughtful, especially with the emphasis the Gungans place on scent, and it really goes to share how much they care for and respect her, even now that her reign as queen is over. And she is going somewhere dangerous; somewhere where she's going to have to use every weapon in her arsenal. I found this snipped incredibly touching. [face_love]

Excellent start! I can't wait for more. :D =D=

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a cool story!! You manage to give us so much of the Gungans culture in a drabble and it's impressive! I love that they are going to help protect her and offer her something that will help them do just that!

Great job!! I'm really interested to see what's next!

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I’m so thrilled that you’re taking part of this, and WOW what a wonderful—and original—choice of character! Really looking forward to seeing where you will go with your pentathlon! :cool: It’s off to a wonderful start with this vignette; Tarpals’s gift to Padmé is not only a fitting and generous gesture but also something he knows that will come in handy, as he knows she will still be needing to disguise herself even in her new position as senator. I’m impressed with the way you’ve handled the Gungan dialect in such a readable and consistent manner—it actually feels like a real, consistent creole language rather than just “funny talk,” and I appreciate that. As @mavjade said, you really packed a lot into this vignette, and it’s definitely got me eager to see more! Thanks for sharing and keep up the mighty fine work! =D=

6. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you for taking time to read and comment, everyone. I’m happy to hear others’ thoughts on my writing.

She will be representing them as well as the humans of Naboo, so I'm sure they want to keep her safe. It’s funny, but when Tarpals first met her, he had a rather low opinion of here – she had fled the planet and left her people behind. But when he realized that she had returned, brought help, and was willing to humbly approach the Gungans for assistance, he gained a lot more respect for her. I suspect that she made a point to encourage that human/Gungan cooperation in the months after the Trade Federation was defeated, and that’s going to impress him, too.

Thank you. I have four of my five “events” picked out, but am still debating whether to do the Single Sentence Shot Put or the Fantastical Fencing as my fifth.

I’m please you enjoyed it, Findswoman. I know we’ve conversations about writing non-human characters, and I hope you will like the other stories in this set.

Somewhere I think I actually have my "Gunganese" grammar rules written down. Yes, I need to get a life.

And possibly therapy. :confused:

For my Gungan novel (yes, I really did), I gave them their own language so I could translate it directly into English and we didn’t have to fiddle with Gunganese unless they were speaking directly to a human. Tarpals’ grasp of Basic improved in my later stories, when he’s had more experience with human speakers. But he never quite loses the Gunganese turns of phrase.

Ewok Poet, gizkaspice, Kahara and 3 others like this.
  7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Great job! It's really cool that you're focusing on Tarpals for this. I always liked him in TPM, and Gungans are a fascinating species. (I've written some not-posted scenes with Gungan characters, and I'm honestly envious of your Gunganese grammar rules 'cause I know that's not an easy thing to figure out.)

In a very short space you've conveyed his sensibility, as well as a practical, protective mindset I can see him having as a ranking member in the Gungan army. It's an interesting idea to have that sort of invisible protection for Padme that the Gungans can use to help her if needed. It shows the respect on both sides.

Looking forward to more! =D=

8. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you, Thumper09. Sometimes my "Gunganese" rules are consistent, and sometimes it's a case of "this sounds less awkward and more easily pronounced than that, so I'll go with it."

If you have posted scenes/stories featuring Gungans, drop me a link, please. I'm always looking for good Gungan stories.

9. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Author's note: Tissue warning for "Intimacy."

Life Changes (4 x 100 Relay)

Charity

Understanding the reasons for the noisy celebration but wanting to avoid it anyway, Tarpals stepped onto the palace walkway to observe the waterfalls. Several paces away, he saw that the human Anakin Skywalker was doing the same.

“I’ve never seen so much water,” the boy exclaimed. “On Tatooine, there was never enough.”

“Mesa can’t imagine,” Tarpals responded. “Wah-tah’s everywhere, heah.”

“How do you get around it?”

“Swim.”

Anakin shook his head. “I can’t swim."

“Good skill to hev,” Tarpals assured him. “Mesa teach yousa, iff’n yousa like.”

“Really?” The boy grinned.

“Yiss. Less ask where theres’a pool wesan kenn use.”

Intimacy

Treece Vitay, spiritual leader of her people, walked Tarpals and his kaadu to the Sacred Place entrance. “You’re sure?”

“Yes. She’s sick most days. She’s old and tired.” Tarpals closed his eyes. “It’s time.”

Treece touched the kaadu’s shoulder and sang a blessing; then she did the same for Tarpals, and finally the electropole he carried, denoting the sole exception to the rule banning weapons from the Sacred Place.

Tarpals led his beloved kaadu along the path, honoring their years together – their training sessions, the daily patrols, the rescues, the defeat of the maccaneek army.

Honoring their final journey together.

Friendship
    “My’ve heard of yousa, Panaaka,” said the Gungan captain. “Some folks callin’ yousa ‘da shah-pest eyes on Naaboo.’”

Panaka nodded. “True enough, Captain Tarpals.”

“Guungans callin’ mesa da same,” Tarpals said. “Mesa thinkin’ diss needs settlin’.”

“Agreed.”

Pieces of scrap wood and metal were hastily painted with targets, the two shooters chose weapons, and squared off. A dozen destroyed targets later, the score was even.

“Captain Panaka? We’re ordered back to Theed,” a lieutenant called.

“Guess we’ll finish this later,” Panaka remarked. He held out a hand. “My name’s Quarsh Panaka.”

The Gungan shook it. “Roos Tarpals. Good shootin’.”

“Likewise.”

Affection

“My will miss yousa, Jah Jah,” Tarpals said, clapping Binks on the shoulder. “From banished trouble-mekker to Sssenator, goin’ to da stahs.”

Sporting his new Republic Senatorial robes, Binks beamed. “Aww, dat’s berry kind, Captain.”

“Before wesa seein’ yous off, my’ve one last duty to perform,” Tarpals announced. Grasping Jar Jar’s shoulders, he shoved him backwards into the pool. “Now yousan h’official!”

Orn Free Ta, the obese Twi’lek Senator, gaped. “What?! Those are incredibly expensive robes, Captain!”

Tarpals nodded. “Hold plenny air,” he remarked as two milita-gungs hauled a grinning Jar Jar out. “Mekkin’ good floaties. Save somebuddy’s life someday.”

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but I just loved every one of these! [face_love]

Charity: I just adored this one! I've seen many variations of Anakin learning to swim over the years, but this one really, really fits! Naboo must be as amazing to Anakin as the thought of a barren world is something beyond belief to Tarpals. They really understand each other. [face_love]

Intimacy: Oh, tissue warning indeed! =(( I love how you took the prompt of intimacy in this direction. His kaadu has been a faithful friend and companion, and the honor and affection in this piece just tore at me. There's nothing harder than finally letting an animal companion go.

Friendship: The beginning of a beautiful friendship, indeed! Loved this! :D

Affection: Ha! Yep, Jar Jar is definitely official now. [face_laugh] [face_mischief] (And, honestly, something tells me that's not the worse mishap that will befall Jar Jar's very expensive wardrobe in the years to come. The poor dear; some things never change. :p) But, what I loved best here is just how far Tarpals and Jar Jar have come - Jar Jar has grown up, in his own way, and of course Tarpals is not only proud of Jar Jar personally, but proud of how Jar Jar will now represent them to the rest of the galaxy. Perfect. [face_love]

All together these made a wonderful character sketch, and I've appreciated getting to know Tarpals a little bit better through your words. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to more! :) =D=

11. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Great job! I really enjoyed seeing the range of Tarpals's feelings that we're not privy to in his limited canon appearances.

Looks like Anakin's going to get a pretty good swimming teacher here. I wonder if he's ever even been fully immersed in water before. Tarpals may have his work cut out for him. [face_thinking]

I really liked how Tarpals treated his kaadu in Intimacy. She's a valued companion and partner to him, not just some animal he rides, and that says a lot about him to me. What he did, even making the decision and staying with her, is an incredibly hard but selfless thing to do.

I can totally see how Tarpals and Panaka would get along well, and even have a friendly rivalry going between them!

I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch any of the PT Senate scenes again without thinking of floaties, LOL. :p I agree with Mira_Jade-- It was neat to see how the relationship between Jar Jar and Tarpals has grown over the years. I imagine they've worked together quite a bit since TPM and Tarpals helped get Jar Jar ready for his new position.

Great work! Looking forward to more! =D=

12. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is awesome! I love non-human stories and you really got the Gungans down to a T! It's not often that you come across stories focused purely on Captain Tarpals with Gungan grammar and dialogue included as a bonus (alien grammar...this is a GOOD thing!). And we can really understand his character, from giving a gift to Padme to his respectful treatment of his kaadu and his brief conversation with Jar Jar showing how their relationship has grown over the years....still remembering Jar Jar's clumsy days as a banished trouble-mekker :p

Thanks for sharing and I certainly shall watch your Gungan career with great interest.....[face_thinking]:D

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, splendid! What a variety of moods in these four short vignettes, and they all really show us a much fuller picture of Tarpals's character than we ever got in the films. I love the idea of Tarpals meeting and bonding with both Anakin and Panaka—he'll make pretty much the perfect swimming teacher for Anakin (an important skill to know, even for those from arid worlds), and I am guessing that the question of who actually is the Best Shot on Naboo won't be settled easily! :D Perfect sendoff for Jar Jar in "Affection"—Tarpals is clearly bursting with nakhes for that former trouble-mekker and showing it in a very Gungan, very Jar Jar sort of way! [face_laugh] And you were right about the tissue warning for "Intimacy"—that too was a beautiful sendoff of a different kind, with Tarpals honoring all he'd been through with his faithful mount on that final walk with her through the Sacred Place. Now that I'm a pet owner, it hits extra hard! =(( (Also, I don't know if that's an established ritual or a fanon one, but it's gorgeous, and I love that the Gungans would have one like it!) Wonderful job once again; I'll continue keeping an eye on these for sure! =D=

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb entries so far! I love how you give depth not only to Tarpals' character but to the Gungan culture as a whole. =D=

15. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you. My greatest love for Star Wars involves its alien races (and music, of course) and I enjoy finding ways to expand on canon. I like reading stories in which other authors do this, also, so people are welcome to make recommendations....

Thank you for commenting. The "Intimacy" segment was difficult to write, of course. I took a Creative Writing class as part of my undergraduate studies (I was working toward a degree in Science Writing), and one statement the teacher made really stuck with me; "You have to go where the story takes you." This piece was actually an abbreviated telling of a longer story that I've never published, but it was just such a strong experience for the characters that I wanted to use it. In a way, I'm glad it was only 100 words....

The contest between Tarpals and Panaka was actually mentioned in the Gungans' entry in an edition of the Star Wars Guide to Alien Races, and I just ran with the idea.

I hadn't thought of Anakin Skywalker's reaction to water until I started writing this relay, and this part then effectively wrote itself. Swimming really is an excellent skill to have.

Ah, Jar Jar. I tell people I liked him before it was cool. :) I've never understood the hate. He really did come a long way between TPM and AotC.

"Floaties." Yes, thank you. I hope I haven't completely spoiled anyone's future viewing of the films. :D

Not sure how unnerved I should be about that last comment... ;) As I've mentioned, I seek out good stories involving alien cultures, and I'm glad you found this worth the read.

I'm always flattered when you take the time to comment, Findswoman. I've actually been reading your Rose Evergreen thread, and will someday soon comment on it, when I can give it the time and thought it deserves.

The "Intimacy" piece is not, to the best of my knowledge, part of canon, but in my mind, the Gungans have a very close relationship with nature and the animals around them, particularly the kaadu. There's even a "Bargain Story" in one of my longer pieces that explains the relationship, although I've never fleshed that whole tale out.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Fantastic job with each of the prompts! I loved them all, but Intimacy was so moving and beautiful. You were not wrong about the tissue warning, it was quite beautiful.

I also loved Tarpals offering to teach Anakin how to swim in Charity. I always love it when we see how growing up in different environments affects people. Of course Anakin wouldn't learn how to swim, but that seems preposterous to Tarpals, not having water all around.

=D=

Ewok Poet, Kahara, gizkaspice and 2 others like this.
  17. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you. I wanted to post these in what would have been chronological order, but that meant "Intimacy" was last, and I didn't really want to have the saddest story as everyone's final impression, so it was moved up.

Since Tarpals has (as far as I can determine) never been off Naboo, he would find it incomprehensible that anyone would lack an ability to swim. However, since baby Gungans likely know instinctively how to swim, teaching a human child might be more of a task than expected. I should someday go back and revisit this situation....

Ewok Poet, mavjade , Kahara and 2 others like this.
  18. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Eyes of Memory (AU Archery Event)​

[Author's Note: Outside of TPM, Tarpals appeared in two episodes of The Clone Wars – “Gungan Attack” and “Shadow Warrior,” both in season 4. In the latter episode, he assists in capturing General Grievous, but dies in the process. Unfortunately, his sacrifice is effectively rendered meaningless when Padmé choses to exchange Grievous for Anakin, who’s a prisoner of the Separatists. This AU Archery short is the future I envisioned for Tarpals back when I was last writing fanfic. It tweaks Jar Jar Binks' future history as well.

And apparently I’m not the only one who thinks this was a wasted effort: The Sacrifice of General Tarpals]

The Eyes of Memory​

Acolyte Frint made her way through the early morning mist, past the entrance to the Sacred Place and up the barely discernable path. Few walked here anymore, other than the Shrine Keeper and his acolytes. Many years ago, this Sacred Place had sheltered Gungans fleeing from an attack on their homeworld, but those who remembered those days were mostly gone now.

Frint carried a covered pot of fresh meat. Within the last eight-day, she had been elevated from Novice to Acolyte, and now one of her duties was to bring food to the Sacred Place’s only permanent resident, a retired veteran of the maccaneek invasion and survivor of the recent Dark Times.

The elderly Gungan sat under the drooping branches of a kentrill tree. The branches were adorned with objects that hung from thin vine strands – stones, carved bits of bone, some metal pieces; a few were disks of wood, painted with fading symbols. Some of them clicked together in the breeze.

“Good morning, General Tarpals,” Frint said loudly.

Tarpals’ hearing and eyesight were both reduced, but his sense of smell was still good. “Acolyte Frint,” he replied.

“I’ve brought you food for today.” Frint circled around so she stood where he could see her and offered him the pot.

Tarpals peered at it. “Ah. Thank you.” He carefully took it from her hands and placed it in a hollow of the tree’s roots.

Frint eyed the memory objects. She knew each one symbolized a different person; Gungan custom was to make one for the dead and hang it in the Sacred Place nearest one’s dwelling place. Tarpals had created all of these, and each one had a story. Both Gungan and Naaboo historians had asked to come here, to meet with the old warrior and hear his tales.

Frint lightly touched a gem with a fingertip. “General? May I ask -- who is this?”

The old Gungan reached up and grasped the gem. “Queen Ah-midala. First among the Naaboo to ally with us. She left to represent us to the greater galaxy. She died far from home, at the beginning of the Dark Times.”

Frint remember that from the history songs. A great evil had spread through the galaxy, touching even Naboo as the H’emporer (a word that did not exist in the High Gungan language) had chosen their world as his private retreat. The Gungans had not fared well during that time, although their numbers were finally increasing.

“And this one?” she asked. A metal piece.

Tarpals squeezed it gently between his fingers. He smiled. “Ah. That would be Panaaka. The Queen’s Captain of the Guard. He had little love for our people, after years of dealing with some of our thieves and swindlers.” Tarpals huffed through his whiskers in amusement. “To be honest, I had had the same experience with the Naaboo, and didn’t trust them either. After the maccaneek invasion, we eventually come to understand one another.” After several breaths’ of silence, Tarpals added, “He was killed in an explosion on the moon of Onoam. I believe he would have protected us from the worst of the H’emporer’s deeds, had he lived.”

Frint’s eye was drawn to a colorful woven circle of many ribbons; the object turned in the breeze and rocked back and forth. “Who is this?”

“That one represents Jar Jar Binks,” Tarpals told her solemnly. “He was… simple, but complicated. Busy, generous –” here Tarpals rolled his eyes “— loud. He meant well, but had a hard time doing well. Before the Dark Times, he represented our world in the Old Republic Senate and traveled the galaxy. After, he returned home, and spent the last years of his life working with refugees, especially children.” Tarpas gazed off into the distance. “We took in many; Jar Jar wanted to help them all.”

He sat with his eyes closed for a few moments, and Frint took it as a reminder that she had other duties that day. She thanked him, bade him good-bye and walked down the path toward the Shrine Keeper’s home. She knew one day she or another Acolyte would climb the path and find Tarpals’ body, or that he had disappeared altogether. The Sacred Place was open to all of nature, from the most harmless of plants to the most dangerous of predators, and no weapons were allowed. The elderly Gungan had his walking staff and no other defense. But he knew well the risks, and had willingly chosen to live here.

Behind her, Tarpals nodded to himself, still following his memories. He touched a wood disk: “Treece, my love.” Carved bone: “Young Zhe-di Skywalker.” Another wooden disk: “Rugor Nass.” A stone: “General Elrin Yoss.” A gem: “Kimma Nril, first ambassador to the Naaboo.” He continued on around the tree, honoring each of the fallen, seeing each individual with his mind’s eyes.

“My remembers yous,” Tarpals murmured, lapsing into Gunganese. “My remember alla yous.”

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful to read of memories of specific individuals connected to objects that are personally constructed with a variety of colors and materials. Jar-Jar: busy, loud, generous, simple yet complicated [face_laugh] Yup, that's him all right. Your insights into Padme and Panaka also ring true. =D=

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  20. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Great job! IMHO this is much more fitting for Tarpals's fate than what TCW gave us.

I really liked his descriptions of each person-- lots of insight in a few short words-- and how the materials chosen to make each memory charm tied into the symbolism of who that person was. From the amount and types of memory charms he created, it's easy to see what an amazing life Tarpals had and how many people he knew and influenced throughout it.

I'm intrigued by the dialect in this story. I wonder if it means that over the years Gunganese has decreased in local usage in favor of Basic.

Excellent work. Looking forward to more! =D=

21. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Such a wonderful collection of stories! :)

Loved Tarpals parting gift to Padme. Fantastic illustration of how much he'd come to respect and care for her.=D= Affection and Intimacy both tore at my heartstrings. Two different forms of saying goodbye, encompassing different feelings yet each one as equally powerful as the other. Very nicely done. :) Very beautiful way in which Tarpals connected his memories of people to objects and remembered them all so fondly. Particularly loved his remembrances of Jar-Jar. I think he was spot on; loud, generous and simple yet complicated. Certainly sounds like Jar-Jar to me![face_laugh] Wonderful stories. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Seldes_Katne like this.
  22. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    "Loud" is probably what I equate with Jar Jar the most -- but I'm an introvert and that tends to be the first thing I notice about people. But once past that, Jar Jar really was generous and genuinely trying to be helpful (and didn't always succeed, of course).

Thank you. I really did try to match the charm to the individual. In my mind, Tarpals has always had a strong spiritual connection to the world (in this story, he's living in the Gungan version of a cathedral, after all) and would see people and events through a philosophical lens.

Usually when I write scenes with Gungans speaking strictly to other Gungans, I just translate their language directly to English (as much as possible; some terms don't have a good English term or concept), but I can see where the younger generations of Gungans would use more traditional Basic, now that they have greater contact with "native speakers." Gunganese may someday become like "listening the elders talking about the Old Country."

Thank you. Most of these stories are based on old ideas I've never published, or even written down, but three of the 4x100 Relay drabbles were completely new to me. I'm glad they spoke to readers -- and expanded my understanding of Tarpals in the process.

~*~*~*~​

I usually try to post on weekends, but the next story I've planned isn't done yet, so there will be a bit of a delay. (It's the Prime Time Coverage piece, and it's finally plotted out and partially written, so probably next weekend. Along with a One Sentence Shot Put that I'm posting as a Bonus Event.) The 400 Word Cross Country is actually done, but it's meant to be light-hearted and I'm saving it for last. Plus, we have until the end of August, so I've got plenty of time to finish.

Thank you to everyone who's been reading.

23. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yeah, I didn't like what TCW did with Tarpals either---a waste of a good character IMO. Glad he got a better fate here and love how he has reflected on everyone he knew. Also prefer this altered history of Jar Jar actually----good for him for being involved in social work! (despite him being loud and all!)

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Seldes_Katne like this.
  24. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice stories the Gungans rarely show up in fanfiction or SW in general, aside from Jar Jar, so its good to get a bit more insight into their culture. :)

25. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Apologies for being away this long, but I've been working -- and writing! The next story, the Prime Time Coverage Event, will be up shortly. It's rather lengthy (about 2500 words), but the only requirements were that it be at least 500 words of action/adventure, so it qualifies. It does have a fair amount of "foreign" terms in italics, but I think readers will be able to follow it. (I'll even provide visuals. :))

~*~*~*~​

Author Chuck Wendig came up with a "final history" for Jar Jar that had him reduced to being a clown and a street performer in Theed once everything crashed after RotS. The idea was that children loved him but adults detested him, which apparently was the general response of real-life movie-goers. Frankly, that one never worked for me, hence my alternate reality.

Thank you. I've always been fascinated by Star Wars aliens (and Star Trek aliens, and B-5 aliens, and...). I'm please you've enjoyed my stories, Anedon.