main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Diversity In the New Saga [See OP Warning]

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Pro Scoundrel , Nov 20, 2016.

1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    She's essentially a sub-continental Indian except alien (Togruta) so that's something.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    But if the rumours are true she is being played by an actress with a white father and a mother from the Greater Antilles.

3. Helloothere

Helloothere Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2020
    Yeah but the way TLJ did was way way to clunky and soap boxy and distracted from the main Story.

It needed better execution/

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    ok, who’s sock are you?

this isn’t even the ST forum

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    She is physically a person of color, people see her that way, and she identifies as such. Therefore she is a person of color, no matter what your google research says. This is exactly the same nonsense Barack Obama had to deal with: people pushing their own interpretations of his identity onto him, and claiming he’s “not really black.” Oh really? Do you think the shop owners who got nervous when he walked into their shops treated him as not black? Rosario looks like a person of color, and self-identifies as a person of color. And so she is.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    per·son of col·or
    noun
    noun: person of colour; plural noun: persons of colour; plural noun: people of colour; noun: person of color; plural noun: persons of color; plural noun: people of color
    1. a person who is not white or of European parentage.
      "the varied experiences of people of color"

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Thanks for the input. Totally irrelevant to the discussion as always.

You do understand that Tano is a Togruta, an alien race don't you? She is not Indian, neither is she the offspring of a white father and a mother from the Greater Antilles. Any number of actors could have played her, I'm happy they chose Dawson, she is about the right age, has the right facial features and is a good actor. She will need to be smothered in orange make-up and wear blue contacts though.

8. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Whatever, Old Jedi. Your playing the fool routine is tired.

9. DarthRamRod

DarthRamRod Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 1, 2018
    Virtue signalling is what racist,sexist idiots say to try and cut off equality at the knees.

10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The real irony is (or is it a paradox?, I forget) that right now, the types talking virtue signaling are those with the least virtue in recent American history; the basket of deplorables.
    It's not a perceived loss of power that these folks are having, it is an actual one, so they are not as entirely out of touch as they might seem (although they certainly are in large part out of touch). Changing demographics and automation/technology are pushing this group toward irrelevance, and they know this is the last gasp (thus the populist burst).

Really fascinating that despite the current executive branch's total reliance on white males to stay afloat and win elections (and the place where their dominant lead makes the biggest difference), Biden has a 21% lead in support from white males with a college degree. That just tells the story I'm afraid. (Note: If you looks at Trumps second biggest support group, white women, Biden has a 40% lead among white women that have a college degree)

Three cheers for the well informed.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I probably have gone over this before, but more actors with accents would be nice, I think. Maybe a nice Russian or Eastern European one. We had that with Mads Mikklesen, correct me if I'm wrong. It would actually make the universe more believable for the human side of things as it only makes sense that humans have a variety of accents (not just British or American, mind you).

12. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    We sort of already have that, but George basically established that different real world accents are used by various aliens. Twileks have French accents, Neimodians speak with Japanese accents, Grievous had a sort of Eastern European accent, etc. You could say that its not the species, but the planets that have these accents, so people from Ryloth, irrelevant of their species, have French accents, people from Cato Neimodia Japanese and so on.

Also British accent is supposed to be a Coruscanti accent in universe.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  13. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's quite an unproductive attitude to have. Rogue One and Mandalorian are totally PC ads (whatever that means)... :rolleyes:

15. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    I mean make it about a GFFA, not political.
    Find a nice healthy balance, not skew into one direction.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, read rule #1 under Posting Rules and Regulations.

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/rules-of-the-jedi-council-forums.27141421/

We don’t abide by complaints that POC and female leads are “political correctness” and “not servicing the story” unless you would say the same about a story with all white heterosexual male leads. Nobody here wants to see posts assuming that characters who look like them must only be there for “political correctness” or that characters who look like them cannot exist while “servicing the story.”

@Bazinga'd @cubman987

Looking at the nature of the articles in that source, I would say it is definitely “skewed in one direction,” and not a good one.

Also, moving to Diversity in the New Saga.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't believe someone could doubt the validity of a site with a name like "gruntstuff.com". I mean, if that doesn't scream "legitimacy" then I don't know what does. :)

18. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Matters of this kind require precision language. I have encountered copy pasta articles where there is an intelligent algorithm that slightly alters the text. I imagine the first rationale for that is to evade copyright crawlers, for sources that post their content behind a walled garden. It may be possible that these algorithms are used to make it appear like there is independent reporting that is not identical (plagiarism) to the source article (which had grammatical English). This article does not have word scrambling:
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies...star-wars-projects-poc-female-main-character/
    The ST certainly was supposed to have a trio of leads. SOLO had a trio. RO had Jyn and Andor + ensemble.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, since wegotthiscovered is pure trash, that explains a lot.

20. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I have no knowledge what source pleases what parties or what content passes what shibboleth. All I know was the original source was scrambled content.

21. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I mean, the very first thread of this forum informs you that wegotthiscovered is not a welcome source here, it’s not difficult knowledge to find

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I am highly not a fan of checking in on a daily basis to see what it is that, today, du jour, is on the list of books to be burned.
    If the user is obligated to check in every day to see what is next on the list of sources that are to be cancelled, it should be added to the terms of service.
    The User should be incapable of logging in without having clicked a check mark that they acknowledge the day's new list of sources that they are not permitted to reference on this website.
    And, all users should be suspended until they have agreed to the updated terms of service.
    There should be an officer assigned to police the likely referenced content of the world wide web and decide, every day, what else, what other, what new, what more, can be forbidden.
    Obviously Orwell should be instantly forbidden, as he is the chief architect of the seditious idea that the individual is capable of independently evaluating a source.
    It's the only way to ensure that events like this, that are to be configured and assigned as MISTAKES, are not tolerated to be repeated again.

23. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    what’s your point dude?

all I did was point out that the knowledge you said you don’t have, is actually easy to find at the top of the page, if you’re actually interested in finding that knowledge

TCF-1138 , Jedi Merkurian and EHT like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "I cannot be bothered to familiarize myself with a community I participate in" is not actually as intellectual of a defense as it probably felt.

25. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I am pleased to be permanently banned from TheForce.Net for the sedition of not consulting a list of sources that are banned from being consulted.

I am pleased to be permanently banned from TheForce.Net for the sedition of the founding principle that someone can independently evaluate a source, and decide for themselves if a source has merit or bearing.

I can go to the guillotine with head held high.