main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your best reply for so many reasons.

SuperWatto and solojones like this.
  2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Wow... Just five minutes of reading an opinion piece by Billy Bragg, and any confusion over this, for me, has gone. He clearly knows more about many of the signatories of that letter than me, and I'm all the wiser.

Perhaps I should get more sleep and drink less guinness next time I try and wrap my head around something (I hadn't even heard of cancel culture before seeing this thread!); which is why I got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick- though I still think my points were valid, just not much to do with this thread. :p

Perhaps I was wise in not being even remotely aware of many of the social media debates that cleary sparked this. Billy spared me that by summarising and contextualising. What a gem:

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...GR3v-oe1mTDgy8tjO6O-6EX-4rEtl4x6piQTDYrJp5Tgw

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Sorry for the late answer yorick. I get a lot more busier these days and I'm willing to spend less time on the internet.

But to answer your question: I've found this word by being the translation from the french word "nombriliste", which means to be self-centered, egocentric.

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Is the word navel-gazing what you were going for?

5. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Aha! Wiktionary does indeed give “navel-gazing” as the translation for the related word “nombrillisme.” Nice catch, Lowbacca. I checked your profile yesterday in order to see if you were a native English speaker, SW Saga Fan. I wasn’t quite sure, since in Quebec it could go either way. I did suspect it was a translation issue, though. Now I can add “nombrillisme” to the other 6 French words I know. :D

FWIW, “navel-gazing” in English does mean “self-absorbed,” but not really in a grandiose sense. It’s closer to a mindless or morbid self-absorption, like self-examination that provides no insights and is just wasting time. I think you might have wanted a word like “egocentric,” which means something like, “I’m so important, I think the world revolves around me.”

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  6. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Yup! That might be this one!

I'm not a native English speaker. French is my native language but I still had to study and learn English and use it a lot for my work as well as discussing with my GF.

Most people can still use English in Montreal, but forget it for the rest of the province of Quebec... There can still be some weird debates regarding the use of English in Montreal, like when some native French speaking people complaining about the use of "Bonjour-Hi" by some employees in shops, when they have to serve both French and English speaking persons. And then the debate spirals out of control, and the government has to intervene and say: "No, we are in Quebec, not in the rest of Canada, and we only use French! You have to say "Bonjour" only, not "Hi"!"

This was the most insignificant public debate I've ever witnessed in our societies...

7. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Who knew there was a War On Bonjour?

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That would be a great opening line in a book.

CairnsTony likes this.
  9. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I thought it was a war on high. Or hi... :p

I'm on it! Title of my next book.

The Great Greetings Wars: Volume 1.

お早う!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Darth Punk likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I was denied service once in a restaurant in Quebec when I spoke English. They told me to speak French.
    I said: but you don't speak French either.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    The lunch cancel

tom, CairnsTony and SuperWatto like this.
  12. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Had a similar one in Brugge, got berated for ordering in French - and French was offered on the menu. I switched to English to explain that Dutch isn't taught in South France. She apologized in French... :p

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Yeah but speaking French in Brugge is adding insult to injury, Ban.

Lordban likes this.
  14. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Look, when I'm told explicitly on signs and menus that the person I'm going to address speaks French, I speak French first, not English [face_laugh]

3sm1r and SuperWatto like this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

I don’t get what the alternative is. If, for instance, people don’t want to purchase Rowling’s works anymore because she’s a TERF, shouldn’t they be free to do so? I mean, isn’t the logical alternative the notion that people should be forced to purchase products? Honestly I don’t get it.

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s all just a publicity stunt for her next novel - The Vagina Demagogues

CairnsTony and Diggy like this.
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    'Vagina Demagogues." I'm sure there used to be a word for those. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Beware that, when fighting TERFs, you yourself do not become a TERF... for when you gaze long into the vagina. The vagina gazes also into you.

Oh ****, now I’m quoting Fanny Nietzsche.

Don’t worry, I’ll see myself out.

CairnsTony, Diggy and Lordban like this.
  19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The alternative to what? Nothing in the letter was about consumers, it was about the actions being taken by 'institutional leaders'.

3sm1r likes this.
  20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I see people keep making up what the letter was about and attacking their made up version of the letter, rather than the letter as it was written.

gezvader28 likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I was asked if I was from Paris when in Quebec. Wanted to say no, I just learned real French :p

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I suppose it's more fun that way? :p

23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    They think they're the ones who speak real French :p

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    C'est vrai... :rolleyes: