main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas felt betrayed by Disney

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by KING_KENOBI, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'd take those reports with a grain of salt.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Imagine unironically posting G+G.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    G+G is a menace to this fandom. He's the worst person in the fandom. He's a sexist.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Aslo now it seems G+G has been banned on twitter. Ah victory, og only the same could happen to his youtube channel.

6. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Whether you like G+G or not. its more about what the other guy in the video said. what do you think?

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't trust anything that comes from a G+G video. At all. Period.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Who is the other guy and what is his evidence?

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The people in that video are acting like hot garbage.

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  10. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    and racist as well. Funny thing is he orignally came out liking TLJ for weeks he talked about how he liked it, it wasn't until he saw there was a profit in hating it that he changed his tune>

The other guy is a writer and small producer in Hollywood. but yeah he's full of poop. He's known for spreading rumors and no one takes him sersiously.

I mean if you were a respected hollywood writter would you go on Geeks + Gamers?

it doesn't matter what we think it's what G+G is which is full of crap. I mean would you trust a channel that makes over 100 videos about how Captain Marvel is going to fail? No one respected would ever go on that show and the writer is known for well not being respected.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  11. Helloothere

Helloothere Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2020
    I can see George Lucus horror in the sequel trilogy.

But he can really complain. He should of known what selling to the house of mouse would entail. He has no one but himself to blame.

StarYogi likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think his horror is mostly with TFA. he had some nice comments of TLJ. and he enjoys visiting sets of Rogue One, Solo and now Mandalorian.

Vicarious Fan and SlashMan like this.
  13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Crickets for TROS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    What did he say about TLJ, other than saying it was beautifully made?

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    it was that mostly and it's better then his comments on TFA, he might have might some other comments but don't remember them as mutch.

16. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    yup and TLJ seems to be closer then his story notes for the ST

17. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Ahem.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

18. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I think it is a shame if GL felt betrayed by Disney as I think the Disney Star Wars hasnt been that bad it was a hard act to follow after the high standards that GL had set. Maybe it would have been nice out of respect for GL to use his outlines for the sequels should have been used but I was happy how they turned out in the end.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  19. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    This is not bad, and it also explains why Lucas also did a good job with Prequels.

But I think this is better, now people (some of them at least) realized that Prequels weren't half bad thanks to Sequels. [face_laugh]

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I always thought this was going to be the case once the Disney movies started to be released. At the time it was not because I thought the Disney movies would be disastrous but simply because the only direct frame of live action reference to compare them to was the OT. Once new movies came along then it would allow those who didn't appreciate them to place them in a better frame of reference in comparison to more movies.

I really didn't expect it to turn out the way it did in such short order. I thought Disney would have a longish run before things turned down and even longer before it went completely sour.

I have to largely agree with that. Why he ever thought Hollywood types like Iger and Kennedy, who are exactly the kind of people who he always wanted to get away from his entire career, would turn around and honor his stories is the mystery. He didn't protect his stories in any way that would have made it difficult like having the movie ready to go with a director, writer, script, casting and pre-production all ready to go then selling.

Make them cancel a movie that is imminently shooting and restart from scratch. At least that way much of at least the first movie would follow his direction. I mean they'd pretty much completely change it the next movie but at least the one movie would start an actual continuation.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Lucas sold to Disney because he thought it would be a safe home for his business and be developed appropriately. Like Pixar (which he did own originally!) and to a lesser extent, Muppets and Marvel.

Instead they (that is Disney AND the new Lucasfilm) took his creation in directions he didn't neccessarily like.

However, the only reason his sequel "scripts" existed, was to add value to the sales price. Lucasfilm without Star Wars Sequels is nowhere near worth anything as much as they paid him.

So Lucas is responsible for this - And also not. I think he maybe looking at it like a businessman - "This product is being developed and sold incorrectly", and not as an Artist - "They are destroying my vision!"

UKS

Erkan12 likes this.
  22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think he should've thought that Disney was going to make the Sequels after buying the series (otherwise what's the point of buying it anyway), and he should have also expect the things that he personally don't like to see, so I agree he is also responsible. He probably knew that possibility, but he still sold it anyway.

I think he should've made the Sequels before selling Star Wars to Disney, or he should've added a specification into the contract when he sold it, such as he should direct and write the scenario of the Sequels if Disney ever decides to make it. But he didn't.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  23. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The main point of selling off SW to Disney was to let them make the sequels. So of course, he should've been prepared not to like them much.
    Before deciding to sell the company, Lucas repeatedly said that he wasn't interested in doing the ST.
    I don't think Disney or anyone would agree to buy the rights to SW with the obligation to let Lucas dictate what would happen in the sequels.

24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I would not be surprised if Disney really wanted to reboot the PT and do 3 brand new prequel films. Especially after the spur of the moment success that came with TFA.

However, George obviously had a contract that no matter what Disney did, his six episodes had to remain canon and untouched. So, I feel Disney's way of getting around that was to avoid talking about them. So, it was like "Yes, technically the PT is still canon, but you know, they dont have to be *wink*"

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I don’t think Disney would sign any contract that limited their future direction. They may sign “letters of intent” but they are not strictly worth much.

I can imagine he signed something so they can’t re edit the OT and PT - but I bet they can (and will!!!!) remake the OT.