main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Star Wars: The Bad Batch Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    [​IMG]

Looks like the Clone Wars are back again...ish.

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I had to check the official site just to be sure this was legit, and yes it was.

This... is not what I had in mind. First of all it focuses on a group that only showed up in the last season that many TCW fans didn't watch (as the show had been off the air for years by that point and furthermore switched to mandatory subscription when it did return).

After all my problems with Rebels (Jedi kids running circles around Vader, Tarkin, and Thrawn), I'm wondering if LFL Animation has any direction at all. Even a Han Solo cartoon, as much as I hated the Solo movie, would be better than this.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Oooo I'm down with that. The best parts of the Clone Wars are the clone episodes.

4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I just don't see where this is going to go. The bad batch could throw in with the Empire, in which case they should just make this an Imperial show (Star Wars: Empire) or something.

Or the bad batch's defects immunize them to Order 66's brain chips and they throw in with the Rebel (before the Rebels are even created, so basically Star Wars Rebels before the Rebellion), retreading Rebels (and that show itself had a lot of problems).

Or the bad batch just goes to the underworld, in which case it would have been better to just revive the Star Wars Underworld tv show.

EDIT: The summary link finally came up, looking like it's underworld work. Why they didn't just revive Underworld one never knows.

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    Ehhh this was the least interesting option for me. As much as I like the idea of exploring the clones post-Order 66, I thought the Bad Batch fell pretty flat as characters.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I had to make this its own thread because of this one big tidbit from the press release-
    It's The A-Team in Star Wars and I'm all for it. :D

DarthJaceus, Riv_Shiel, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  7. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Oh man, Todd beat me to the punch on the A-Team in space angle. I think that’s a really good way for the show to go.

Of course the into is now required to end with end with “ If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire ... The Bad Batch.”

8. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Today, Disney+ ordered its next animated series from Lucasfilm, Star Wars: The Bad Batch. Fresh off of the critically-acclaimed series finale of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the Disney+ original series will premiere on the streaming service in 2021.

The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose.

“Giving new and existing fans the final chapter of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been our honor at Disney+, and we are overjoyed by the global response to this landmark series,” said Agnes Chu, senior vice president, Content, Disney+. “While The Clone Wars may have come to its conclusion, our partnership with the groundbreaking storytellers and artists at Lucasfilm Animation is only beginning. We are thrilled to bring Dave Filoni’s vision to life through the next adventures of the Bad Batch.”

Star Wars: The Bad Batch is executive produced by Dave Filoni (The Mandalorian, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Brad Rau (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance) and Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars Resistance, NCIS) with Carrie Beck (The Mandalorian, Star Wars Rebels) as co-executive producer and Josh Rimes as producer (Star Wars Resistance). Rau is also serving as supervising director with Corbett as head writer

I guess Cory is feeling pretty good now.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

I mean... it's an interesting era... so maybe the characters will be more interesting in it?

[​IMG]

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'll watch the first few episodes of this but am not optimistic. I couldn't get past episode 3 or 4 of Resistance. What could have been a deep show involving the First Order hiding within the Republic (Hydra within SHIELD for example), Snoke and Knights of Ren appearances, a pre-downfall Luke's Jedi Order etc was all thrown out for a premise involving fratboy-type pilots continuously hazing Kazuda Xiono. So I'm just not holding out hope Bad Batch will do things better.

Xammer likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Thank goodness we are finally having a Star Wars TV show about clones. This oversight in SW TV has finally been rectified.

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I like some Bad Batch stories. Maybe we'll see Kashyyyk (and include things from the unreleased TCW arc since they were also part of it).

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I now wish I made bets with @SyndicThrass when discussing this show ;p

Anyway woo, some Dark Times! And by Dark Times I mean the era not you know.... :cool:

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    This was obviously intended to be announced at Celebration, I wonder if they'll do the same for the "Rebels successor" series which was rumored for longer than this one.

Slater likes this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Apparently also we have a Female Head Writer for this series!

Gonna put my bet and say August

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2020
    Slater likes this.
  17. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    There is something very charming about rule obsessed Echo going screw the cops and becoming a mercenary.

There's plenty of potential here. Especially with them being Mercs. Maybe helping Rex meet up with Wolffe and Gregor, maybe going on a job with Boba.

Hell they could use the Kashyyk plot line to tie them into finding Sev if they wanted to. Remember that old idea for the RC sequel that had Sev becoming the Rebellions first real solider? They could totally work that type of idea with some modifications in.

Looking forward to it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Post Clone Wars finale so should be more interesting than if just more Clone Wars era. So basically they become mercs like Metal Gear Solid and the main guy looks like Solid Snake anyway. It'll be cool to see the clones deal with Order 66 aftermath, cuz they probably killed the hell out of their Jedi. And then the clones were decommissioned like within a year. So mucho trauma, maybe.
    Unless they make it so Bad Batch didn't kill their Jedi, be kinda difficult for heroes of an animated all ages series to be Jedi murderers as well.

Also Imperial unemployment benefits for Clones are probably really terrible. Economic intrigue! Unemployment lines on 1313!

Also yah I would expect this to be a way to finish some still unfinished Clone Wars arcs just slightly adapted differently for the time period.

Also hella Maul and Crimson Dawn!

Anyway Resistance writer is the head writer on here. Maybe Filoni is headlining the Rebels sequel show and LFL animation has two teams working on separate projects, this is where the Resistance crew ended up on and Clone Wars crew on something else. Total speciation though.

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If these guys ignore Order 66 and then run circles around Vader when he tries to punish them... [face_sigh]

20. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I'd like to see this start with them already decommissioned, seeing an announcement of the formation of Task Force 99 (the SCAR Squad from the comics that's basically them, but Stormtroopers). Seems like they can't have had a big rebellious break with the army if the Empire kept the unit's name active.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Yeah cause "Run circles around Vader" is totally something that happens in the NEU o_O

Not like we have dozens of examples from novels, comics, movies and TV shows of Vader being the biggest badass ever. They'll totally break that streak with this show.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I think this was intended to be a SDCC announcement this month- that way they could have hyped up a panel (with implied reveal trailer) for Celebration next month.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The characters in the Bad Batch seemed to have good hearts, so I look forward to their new adventures.

I applaud Disney for choosing to stay in TCW era and explore a storyline I semi care about. I'm VERY glad the new show isn't touching the sequel trilogy and hopefully it stays far from it.

I also like the Disney+ schedule...
    Late 2019: Mando S1
    Early 2020: new TCW content
    Late 2020: Mando S2
    Early 2021: new TCW content

Slater likes this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Tidbits from the Kessel Run podcast:
    - Ahsoka and Rex will appear in the series in a small capacity at first. Rex is looking for clones.
    - Cody and Wolffe will come back.
    - It will be clones heavy (meaning more than just the Bad Batch) dealing about the traumatic events of Order 66 for the clones.
    - No Separatists, Vader or Jedi survivors info so far.

BigAl6ft6, Slater and PimpBacca like this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Not necessarily top of my list for a new show, but I didn't think I'd like Resistance and I did, so I have some hope for this.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.