main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I did? Well, it's Yakuza so probably.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I worded it wrong, but YAKUZIES!

And you responded so you're officially in my activism army.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Activism?! Better consult my sacred texts.

No can do, sorry. :p

Chewgumma likes this.
  4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Too late, you responded too. You're conscripted.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah so Ubisoft's "we're not political" is total garbage lmao. Companies will say this though because they don't want to piss off the chud demographic.

That said, I'm not really upset about the repurposing the quote. In Watch Dogs, the story is about London government using a private military company to monitor and harass the populace. This is getting super close to corporate fascism (lol not political).

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    That's where I have the problem. You can't sit there and say you're apolitical and just making fun video games, while exploiting political imagery.

Especially not when it's about the god damn nazis.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah well as I said, they're trying not to lose the chud demographic. Do you by chance remember the obsidian game The Outer Worlds from last year? Takes place in a solar system run by corporations, etc. It's very clearly anti-capitalist and chuds got really upset, so Obsidian did the "the game isn't political guys." And chuds who were upset about this were saying, and I kid you not, that Fallout New Vegas was an example of a good apolitical game. Fallout New Vegas. These people are morons.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's especially ironic because New Vegas centers around the most pressing political question of this or any era: are people who misunderstand the structure of Hegel’s dialectical arguments horrible monsters, or merely led by one?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    mnjedi, Point Given , dp4m and 2 others like this.
  9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    @Lord Vivec Out of pure interest, do you believe Outer Worlds got weaker in the second half like some say? I think it's a great package as a whole, but I see why some say that. There's nothing quite as strong as the quest about people having to buy their own grave from the corporation in the second half, but I think that's just the nature of going to the richer planets late game.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I think it did get a little weaker but I think that had more to do with having to bring all the plot threads together. Overall it was a strong game in my opinion. I think it also maybe suffered from a better left wing game coming out around the same time: Disco Elysium.

Chewgumma likes this.
  11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Outer Worlds and Disco Elysium both helped me in my political awakening. I was always left leaning, but I have a much better feeling of where I am now, through the act of play.

As I said when I tagged you, I think we still disagree on a lot of stuff, but it helped me realise exactly where I align on the political spectrum.

Edit to add: It's almost like politics in games can have value and purpose and good qualities! *shock*

solojones and Lord Vivec like this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah yes, the eternal battle of Roman Emperor versus immortal technocrat. :p

I'm just wrapping up the final gameplay of New Vegas this morning, and as always I'm going with "Independence".

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean I'm really in the camp that says all the options in New Vegas range from bad-to-awful, but Caesar holds a special... um... "place in my heart"?

Ramza: "Well, I dunno about all this crucifying people alive stuff, but this is an RPG, I might as well hear him out."
    Caesar: "Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis."
    Ramza:

Point Given and Chewgumma like this.
  14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    New Vegas had the best factions, characters, and story of modern Fallout, which is why I was happy that obsidian made outer worlds. Also new Vegas did something great in mentioning characters in the main game and talking about their exploits (Father Elijah, Joshua Graham, the Big MT, etc) and then having us meet them in the DLCs.

Point Given and Chewgumma like this.
  15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Agreed, New Vegas did DLC perfectly. It's not out of the blue, it's not hitting you on the nose with a season pass. It's woven into the story, while still leaving the core story able to stand alone.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, you can have a game that actually isn't political at all, too, like TLOU2, and yet chuds will call it political for acknowledging that gay and trans people exist.

Chewgumma and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... what?

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why was anyone expecting much in the way of innovation from GoS?

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I like what Jim Sterling said about "apolitical" video games. (I embedded the video at a certain timestamp.) It's a different angle than just looking at the themes of the games themselves.

Chewgumma and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think Obsidian dropped the ball on Caesar's Legion - they were originally supposed to be more of a legitimate alternative, but they don't even have a single follower that roots for them - plus, pursuing the Legion path has very little to offer for it.
    The DLCs are the best part of it, agreed. Just finished Lonesome Road for only the second time ever, having only played it before when the DLC first came out. Hoping to finish up the game today, as I only have the Ultra-Luxe to go through before the final battle at Hoover Dam.
    Overall, I like New Vegas, but it goes as far as I think you can go before it ceases to be a Fallout game - one of the reasons I think the DLCs shine is because they are all much more in sync with the 'post-apocalyptic' setting.

I may play Outer Worlds someday, but from what I've seen it doesn't hold much particular interest to me. Disco Elysium is definitely on my list, though.
    It's funny, Ulysses casts some shade on him if you kill him, mentioning that Caesar believed that the strong should rule, and that he ended up proving his own philosophy by getting killed.
    But yeah, I play along with the Legion long enough to get the Lucky Shades from their Safehouse, and then I take Boone, Rex and wear the Burned Man's clothes, and pay Caesar a little visit.

Point Given likes this.
  22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I certainly am not. Not every game needs to be groundbreaking. I just want it to be fun.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah and he also directed some movies not about samurai but, y'know, marketing synergy is king. They got approval from the estate for a reason.

Something I always try to keep in mind is that game reviewers get inadvertently trained to favor innovation by the sheer quantity of things they're expect to play. It's the profession's original sin. So, you know, you take it under advisement and adjust it down accordingly, I think.

Jedi Ben and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I always roll my eyes at the apolitical talk. It’s storytelling, it’s going to be political, sorry. Not sorry.

Also the first time you meet Akechi in P5 he mentions Hegel. I immediately thought about Ramza, my second thought was something along the lines of “good lord what has the JCC done to me.” :p

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Noted Hegel scholar “some guy on a Star Wars message board.”