main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Nope dont know it. Homeless people live under bridges.

You know, Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past?

Trolls live on computers.

2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Your trolling me yourself, are'nt you?[face_thinking]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  3. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Nah those are just facts of life. Plus if a person knows they are being trolled it doesnt really work, or have the presumed effect any given troll might think, hence why I used the word delusional. It's like in the military when Steven Segal know he is being spied on he just deliberately spread misinformation so the spy is really the one getting played.

Lol.

Moving along though:D

...I think everyone here could agree that Steven Segal deserves to star in his very own star wars.....or that he 100% should have been Snoke.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    sian1965 likes this.
  4. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    How do you build off the ST and move forward?

For me, there has to be a degree of connectivity tissue with what has become before any future story. This tissue has to be there so that it is one overall story; like you are looking at a portion of this fictional galaxy's timeline. With every future and past story, that portion just simply becomes bigger. But it is still the same story.

So the connectivity tissue does not have to be characters necessarily; it can have entirely new characters if it wanted to. The connectivity can come in the form of ideals, or ideas, or from how things have evolved, etc.

Take the state of the galaxy for example. The galaxy had the central government of the Old Republic, then a ruling dictatorship under the Empire and then an ineffective central government in the form of the New Republic. Each of these factions had vulnerable areas where things could be exploited. So the connectivity tissue here is in the form of the idea that the Galaxy has come to the conclusion that a central government poses to great of risk to each respective planet, star system, etc, so they all turn inward and become more autonomous and inward looking because they believe this is the best way forward in existing and preventing any more galaxy wide wars.

Then comes along an invading alien force from outside the galaxy and these planets learn that this isnt the way (to all be seperate from each other) to be either. So this is connective tissue between past ideals and what the future story is about.

Or another example is Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order and learning from the past Jedi's mistakes, Luke's mistake in thinking the Jedi must end, etc. In Rey's new order, maybe romantic attachment (or attachment) is allowed and the Jedi are essential for maintaining the peace and balance in the force throughout the galaxy. They are not bound to a central government and operate independently of any influences. But they do go to trouble spots and do what they can to "re-balance" the force and the society there. Rey doesnt even have to be in a future story, just reference what she had a achieved and why she did it - ie. Making mention of the previous Jedi's mistakes and Luke's error in judgement.

Again, connective tissure through an idea or an ideal to relate what has come before it, to the current story.

There are endless stories that could be told, but just have the connective tissue there so that the story does not feel like its own weird thing. Any future story does not live in its own vaccum. Regardless of the story, past events have occurred and cannot be dismissed. Better to build on from them and connect with the past.

dinnertime and K2771991 like this.
  5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Just a reminder that PT had kazillion Jedi, including a huge action scene in the arena, yet the trilogy was under fire just like ST. So number of Jedi isn't the key to fandom hearts. You can have hundreds and you can have one and fans won't be happy if they find the story and characters lacking. And tbh, I see nothing interesting in Rey's new Jedi Order. It's more than one Jedi, OK, and? what is the story? What is the conflict? It appears that no one can come up with a story that isn't something from Legends (Yuzan Vong is most often thrown around).

PT is now a treasure trove for side stories (TCW, Bad Batch) because it's the era what led to the fall of the Jedi. That's interesting. It would be interesting to see Jedi Assemble (how the first Jedi came to be) but another restarting not so much. The training, the dark side temptation are now very redundant. Three trilogies of that is quite enough.

Def Trooper and jaimestarr like this.
  6. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Well, if you want to move forward from the ST, if this is truly the end of the Skywalker Saga, then for me, it's simple where to go from here: Show me what happens to the Broom Kid.

He's a Force user, thus you have a new focus, a new perspective, new potential for character(s) journey, with ties and context to the larger galaxy picture when needed or necessary.

K2771991 likes this.
  7. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I honestly thought that the ST was going to be about a new kind of order, instead of Jedi or Sith something along the lines of the Grey Jedi, but with members allowed to have families.
    Instead of two extremes, a kind of balance.
    Instead in TROS they've gone straight back to the'old' emotionally detached 'pure' Jedi. Rey's white clothing, her shown at the end very much single.....this is old style Jedi. She was supposed to be the Balance personified, but she looked just like yet another tedious old Republic space monk - or nun.

This is what really disappointed me with the ST - when Darkness is in power, Light rises to meet it and give versa. Rey is a pure Jedi of Light. One day Darkness will rise......and the whole dreary cycle will begin again.

No originality at all.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    The dyad brought something new to the table such as environment sharing including the ability to fight in different environments at the same time and pass objects through the Force. One would think that was the future of SW but apparently not. Mind you, I have no desire to watch a movie about some other dyad. They had a good set up with these characters and squandered it, so replacements are not going to fly.

9. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    Doesn’t mean I’m going to stop asking for more Jedi content. While there are fans that are ok with stories with the absence of Jedi, some of us actually love the Jedi and believe it would like to have something whether it’s a TV show or series of films with multiple Jedi that doesn’t have an Order 66 event looming over their heads.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Def Trooper likes this.
  10. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I'm just saying it matters how it's done. I don't see potential in Rey's Jedi school. Jedi 100s of years since ST sure that could work but this is just a fodder for those kiddie books and comic books that nobody buys.

11. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Whatever the writers of those stories want them to be.

Your looking at a undisturbed sandbox, holding a pail, a shove and a bag of toys, and going "eh, it's just a box of sand. There's nothing interesting about that." Heck, you mention the post OT Legends, but if the writers of those stories had your mindset said stories would never have existed in the first place.

Given the manner that the Force is established to work, Grey Jedi in the sense that your describing them literally cannont exist. A person following that kind of philosphy would just end up falling to the Dark Side, becuase you can't use the Dark Side without it taking hold and corrupting you. The Force only has two sides, and "balance" does'nt mean those sides are in equilibrium with each other, becuase the Dark Side is what cuases the imbalance in the first place.

Nothing in TROS suggests Rey is going to be an emotionally detached Jedi in the style of the PT films.

12. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Nothing in ROTJ suggested that Luke, Han and Leia would fail and end up with miserable lives before dying apart from each other either, yet here we are. I, for one, welcome the idea that Rey will fall flat on her face and we'll be doing this again 20 years from now, just to watch ST fans go through what OT fans did and laugh while bringing the receipts.

And if you think that sounds harsh, you haven't read the discourse any time someone brings up Luke, Han and Leia not deserving their fate and wanting to see them with a happy ending or Luke as a successful Jedi.

13. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Now we are talking. This is based:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Literal faceplant would do wonders for the character. Instead of [boring beyond reason] role model for little girls [who shouldn't look up to fictional characters and celebrities anyway] lets have Drunken Master Rey.

[​IMG]

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Becuase god forbid other peaple enjoy something, right? It's all about you and you feeling personally slighted by three fictional movies, and anyone who had the temerity to commit the great sin of enjoying said films be damned, eh?:rolleyes:

Classy. Real classy.

(incidently, I'm an OT fan and I like the ST just fine, so I'm not sure what exactly I was supposed to have "gone through")

No, I'm well aware of the "discourse", since you and others seize even the slightest excuse to air your grievences to anyone who would listen - as evidenced by the fact that you responded my post when it had nothing to do with the subject - even in threads like this were the person who formed it explictly wanted to avoid such negativity. (I.E "I wanna do something more constructive then critique.")

We get it, you hate the ST. I'm honestly sorry you feel that way but some of us would rather not ever single ST related thread constantly get dragged down by the same negativity over and over agian, becuase believe it or not not nearly all of us feel the same way you do and some of us - *gasp* - actually liked the ST films and are intrested in were the franchise might go in the future:eek:.

Eternal_Jedi and Iron_lord like this.
  15. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Well, of course, it's all about me ;) I don't care if people enjoy things. Please do. I'm just tired of being told that I am wrong when I don't enjoy them. Or being told that nothing in X guaranteed Y but now Y will guarantee Z. Nothing in ROTJ guaranteed Luke would follow the PT Jedi but that's what happened. So saying that Rey is guaranteed to not be like the PT Jedi is not a given.

We had a negativity thread and it got closed.

16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I didn't hate the ST (I liked the first and third but had some issues with them). I'm not that excited to see any new SW anymore (never thought I'd say that) except The Mandalorean. I enjoyed RO very much.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    The Jedi were the most boring and disappointing thing about the PT. If the Jedi return let it be in a new form.

Fredrik Vallestrand and K2771991 like this.
  18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Who said you were wrong? I did'nt.

Not liking films is personal taste, and personal taste is an opinion. By definition opinions cannot be wrong - not like the ST, just like liking it or not caring about it, is a perfectly valid stance to have.

I think you misunderstood what I said to Sian - I was talking about currently existing evidence regarding the character, not hypotheticals for what they might do with her in the future. If I was talking about the latter then, yes, you'd have a point, but as it is saying Rey is going to be a PT era Jedi becuase she was wearing white and standing alone at the end of the last film is like saying Luke was going to become evil and still and still wanted to get with Leia becuase he was wearing black and staring at her with a weird smile during the last shot of ROTJ

That does'nt mean you have to try and turn every other thread into one.

There's a difference between not being excited/charing about future Star Wars works and wanting everything to crash and burn at the expense of peaple who enjoyed it just so you can luagh at them and rub their faces in it, which was the issue I took with Pendragon's stance.

Personally I hope she brings them back in the fashion of Qui-Gon Jinn - after all he's the "truest" Jedi in the francise in terms of ideology and worldview (and IMO the most interesting Jedi and most interesting character in the PT films).

It makes a certian amount of sense too - she was trained by Leia, who was trained by Luke, who was trained by Obi-Wan (briefly) who was trained by Qui-Gon, so she's part of a "linage" of Jedi descended from his teachings; not to mention in the TLJ novelization her reasoning for sparing Kylo is becuase she feels that doing so is the will of the Force, which was the guiding force (no pun intended) that Qui-Gon adhered to very strongly.

19. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    According to Lucas (and, now, to Filoni) the PT jedi had become too political, too attached to the Republic. It's yet to be seen, but maybe that's how the last war against the sith ended, with the jedi expelling them from coruscant and being close to the political power, instead of 'disbanding'. Maybe the PT jedi council was once a war council.

The 'crude matter' jedi, or some of them at least, like Ahsoka,are now being modeled after Gandalf. Wanderer wizard/jedi working in the shadows. There was a wizard council in Tolkien's books -the White council- but it only met irregularly (only 4 times, I think), and did so in different places. It was a moment of reunion, and not a permanent institution.

Gandalf didn't accept political restrictions and/or pacts of any kind, and he answeredonly to those who had sent him, the 'gods' in the west.

Maybe the gods are already in TROS: there are 11 jedi voices and then Leia appears. That's 12 members, a (ghostly) jedi council, removed from politics and from the physical realm even. That's how the sith have been defeated this time.

Gandalf went to the west, but he had come from there first; he had taken a human ('crude matter') form. Maybe it will be like this with the jedi, or with some of them at least, via (re)incarnation. Also, Gandalf resurrected in LOTR -until his task was done- and that means Christ, and that means Anakin. 'If Skywalker returns, the new jedi will rise'

20. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    The Jedi are the one thing that makes Star Wars unique from other Sci-fi/ fantasy universes.

21. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I’m a SW fan so, of course, I dig the Jedi but their portrayal in the PT (for me) could not have been more disappointing. My hope is LFL reinvents the Jedi in a way that makes them more compelling, relatable and human.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2771991 likes this.
  22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Star Wars is neither the only sci-fi franchise with knights, the only one with monks or the only one with wizards - and it's certianly far from the only fantasy universe with those things.

That aside, it's perfectly understandable that someone might find the PT era Jedi bland/boring or favor other aspects of the francise over the Jedi in general.

Canon says the Jedi Temple was built before that point though (a some point after they destroyed the Sith temple on the side in 5000 BBY) so unless the temple existed but was'nt their headquarters it seems like they were already operating out of the Republic capital before then.

I think your getting two things confused - the order that Gandalf was a part of was the Istari, which was him and the other four wizards and was actually answerable to an authority (originally Saruman, and then later Gandalf), hench why Gandalf initally goes to consult with Saruman over the ring. While the council your thinking of, the White Council, is the five wizards plus Galadriel, Elrond, Cirdan and Glorfindel (Galadriel and Elrond because they were ring bearers, Cirdan because he was a former ring bearer and Glorfindel becuase he, like the Istari, had been sent to Middle Earth as an agent of the Valar), and that group, while it did'nt have an power per-say, did make decisions via commitee.

What about the Mortis Gods? If anything is the controlling deities of the Force it would be them, no?

Snoke was talking about Luke, not Anakin.

JohnWilliamsSonoma and Iron_lord like this.
  23. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    They may be doing that already with the High Republic era.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Lucas was really clever, in that he created pockets within the PT timeline where all these other stories could exist (notably the Clone Wars and the lead up to them). Conversely the ST takes place over what? 6 or 12 months? So there's very little to explore with the ST, as the filmmakers (IMHO) didn't use the opportunity to further open up the galaxy.

The challenge is that the ST is so divisive, there is always going to be a large section of the community that deem it insubstantial and inferior. And that is always going to be the main driver of any discussion concerning the ST (for the foreseeable future anyways). I can certainly see the merits of having a 'haters' and 'gushers' thread. But even when there was a haters thread, you'd get several pro-ST members coming in and hijacking the conversations... and I assume visa versa (I never visited the gushers thread so can't say if that was a thing there)... so I'm assuming that's why they got locked (?).

That being said... I'm not sure this particularly thread should be used to make a defence or a critique of the ST... given that the spirit of the thread seems to be more about how the franchise moves on from the ST... and not about what it got right or got wrong.

PendragonM likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Like the PT now has two shows in it's era with clone wars and bad batch has it has rich story telling. The ST has great potenial in between OT and ST. With Mando, the rumored rebel sequel, and other shows in future. and in those shows we get plenty of tie ins to the first and final order, Palpatine and Snoke. Redarding if a show in the ST trilogy, yeah an x-wing show that takes place between TLJ and TROS that could run for 2-3 seasons. And i'm sure we could get a show about Rey post TROS and some new cinflict will rise up. The Movies post TROS will probaly happen 100-300 years in future and we have a new republic and a new jedi order.

K2771991 likes this.