main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure there's a big demand (currently) for seeing events leading up and into the ST per se. I certainly think a galaxy post ROTJ is worth exploring, but by its very nature, that's much more connected to the OT than it is the ST. In terms of the concepts that the ST put forward, I don't think there's that many existing concepts that filmmakers or TV writers could readily run with, other than the Knights of Ren and Palpatine building his Sith army perhaps (?)... The PT had better opportunities baked into its inception (IMHO), as it established on screen, the Jedi Order (Knights and Padawans), the Clone Wars (obviously) and even the Sith, hidden in the shadows, and the 'rule of two' etc. If there were to be an ST era show/new film, I'd really like them to do something a bit more creatively challenging and darker... something about the life of a FO stormtrooper ala Finn.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Absolutely. And they’re what made the PT so interesting and exciting.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think there are a few, like what happenned to the empire and how it become the first order. Luke starting his jedi school, sith eternal and Palpatine slowly turning young Ben Solo. Leia in the new republic and how it works. I think there's demand for a post ROTJ series that could tie into the ST era. I don't think they ever do a show about stormtropper, more likley is an x-wing series with characters you might now and new ones.

burg2774 likes this.
  4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd imagine they'll never do a TV show, or another film, featuring the OT actors (well Ford and Hamill) within that timeline/timeframe. A cartoon perhaps, but even then I'm not sure where the viewing interest would be e.g. showing Luke starting his Jedi school, knowing they are all going to die etc. I think an X-Wing show would be too regressive... as Lucasfilm (IMHO) need to get away from the notion that Star Wars is simply about deserts, X-Wings and the Falcon. That's where (IMHO) the ST got it wrong. If there were an X-Wings style show, I'd imagine it's now more likely to take place during or pre-OT, given that the new game (Squadrons) is set post ROTJ. One of the reasons why I suggested a stormtrooper show is that TCW showed that a story focusing on the lives of the troops can be massively entertaining, and as yet, is not something that we've seen in a live-action show/film.

5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think there's key difference between the clones and regular stormtroopers. And regarding Luke and his jedi, we knew the clone wars would lead to the death of the jedi order so be similar to that. I don't think Luke, Han or Leia would be the lad characters more like reccuring ones. The rebel sequel that is rumored suggest it be like clone wars and do for the Post ROTJ to the ST era what clone wars did for the PT era. Unknown regions is atime to explore this era with the enemy in hiding. and you still have former jedi in Ahsoka and Ezra.

6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    To me the key difference is that the First Order stormtroopers don't necessarily want to be there... and are prone to moral dilemmas, which result in conflict and desertion. That is something (IMHO) worth exploring in a show or film.

It's not really the same. The context (external and internal) in which TCW was made was that, whilst the Clone Wars were manufactured to service the Sith, the Sith would ultimately be defeated by Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and the OT3... and that Luke, Leia and Han would survive to re-build the New Republic and Jedi Order (as told in the EU). The ST effectively strips the saga of those successes, and more impactfully to the ST timeline (IMHO), undermines what the heroes of the ST achieve too... as we now know that Palpatine, and the Sith, can effectively come back regardless and kill the heroes and destroy the New New Republic and New New Jedi Order. So sure, I can see that they can bring in new characters, to the existing ST timeline and tell different stories, but I think we're done in terms of audience appetite for anything relating to Luke, Han and Leia in (or near) the ST era... because their futures (as characters) have become so abject. Saying that, I still think there's appetite to see the OT3 in other adventures, but they'll have to be much more closely aligned to the OT than ST. That be=ridge has been burnt (IMHO).

Again - I'd question the appetite. I'm not saying that Rebels 2 won't happen... but I think, going forward, fans are much more interested in Ahsoka and The Mandalorian than they are with Ezra Bridge et al. After all, Rebels didn't really have anywhere to go after 3 seasons. I do think it's likely that we'll see crossovers of characters e.g. have Sabine or Chopper appearing in The Madalorian or Ahsoka show etc.
    It's also with stating, again in my opinion, that TCW serviced the PT i.e. it was complimentory to it (and for many it improved it too), but it wasn't required to provide clarity/context that wasn't already there in the PT. That isn't the same with the ST... and I can't imagine that any such cartoon could do the heavy lifting required to make the ST 'better'. Which isn't to say it won't happen, but I get the sense that Lucasfilm are less interested in adding context to the ST than they are in taking Star Wars in new directions and new timelines...

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think they want add context to the era and not so mutch the ST trilogy. 4 seasons of Rebels i think you mean and yess they do have places to go, the ending was a cliffhanger waiting to be continnued. And i think like clone wars was complimentory and imporved on the PT same could any fututre show set in between ROTJ and TFA. You wound't need to understand the ST just like you won't need hte clone wars to understand the PT. Also Rebels it seems is the most critical show within star wars.

And regarding Luke and his jedi along with their victories in the OT and the eu legends. For many fans sure they were canon but to GL, Filoni, Pablo and other's they were fan fiction. And in GL outlines Luke still failed to create a new genration off jedi. And sure the sith could come back but doubtfull Palpatine had an exit plan before but not this time. There's a saying that the sith are like cancer,a nd it's almost impossible to get rid of it. And there's still plenty of appetite for Luke in the ST, many like to see the jedi master before TLJ.

8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yes sorry... 4 seasons of Rebels, circa 75 episodes... and TCWC circa 130 episodes. There's always other stories that they can tell, but that doesn't mean they will... and of course they formally stopped working on Rebels after season 4... so it's not as if speculating here. It had naturally run its course. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Rebels, for what it was, and I'd watch it if they made more... but it sort of became the Ahsoka, Maul and Mandalore show, and less about 'Rebels' per se... and I feel that kind of reflects where the fan interest is at.

Not sure what you mean by the 'most critical show'? Critical of what? As I say, it's not the same comparison. The events of TCWC take place during the PT. For a new show to have equivalence, it would need to be set during the ST... and I doubt that's going to happen. Point being, I don't think any new show will be designed to compliment the ST. It will be an extension of the OT aesthetic/sensibilities that The Mandalorian has enjoyed. I think they'll ultimately use a post ROTJ show to branch off into different stories completely, not to embellish or improve the ST. We'll see...

It doesn't really matter if it's EU or not. The point is that fans/audiences and, I'm pretty sure Lucas himself, didn't entertain the notion that Luke, Leia, Han (their children), the New Jedi Order and the New Republic, would be dead and destroyed circa 30 years after the OT. Ergo, by default, Lucasfilm have made it difficult for audiences to invest any emotion in new stories for those particular characters. They've shot themselves in the foot really... especially as the demand for new stories with Rey, Finn and Poe has yet to be established.

Why would Palpatine have a backup plan to save himself during the OT but not the ST? Where is your evidence for that? Surely, after ROTJ, he'd be more mindful of being defeated? The fact that he survived being hurled down the pit by Vader, minutes before the Death Star exploded into pieces, pretty much means that he can survive anything doesn't it??? That's the problem when bad writers come up with this kind of contrivance i.e. it creates gaps in logic and reduces suspension of disbelief and drama.

Also - in terms of Luke. I've literally not heard of anyone asking for more ST era Luke stories. What seems to be gaining traction is the notion that Luke could be brought back in an alternate timeline... But I wouldn't want to go there...

9. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    It's yet to be seen. It could have happened earlier; the original Temple was constructed over an ancient Sith shrine (that's in the Tarkin novel I think) and at some point the sith ruled the galaxy (c.1999 Lucas said the sith had ruled the galaxy 2000 years before TPM, but apparenlty they haved pushed that date further into the past. Maybe that's the period Palpatine is referring to when he talks about 'the return of the sith' and also with his ROTS line 'once more the sith will rule the galaxy')
    Yeah, that was confusing. Not a wizard council. There was no such thing and the White Council was another thing. A Council of the Wise.
    (The Wise in those LOTR stories include both elves -Galadriel, Elerond- and wizards. 'Wise' and 'wizard' are related words, and those specific elves had 'magic' abilities, so the line was blurry, from the human POV)

Thanks. I was distracted by the wizard/jedi analogy. However, you get the idea about that kind of irregular council being different to the PT jedi council.
    Well, you can change 'gods' for guardian angels, if you are concerned with the analogy being hierarchical and not 'topographical'.
    Luminous beings above/behind/beyond. Whatever. The point being, the jedi -or some of them- inhabiting an invisible realm (a region 'beyond the circles of the world','west of the moon, east of the sun'), and therefore removed from the sith's sight. Those jedi were talking to Rey in Exegol and Palpatine didn't know. By contrast, Palpatine knew what the PT jedi told Anakin and used that knowledge against both the council and Anakin.
    Snoke is not the story. For example: 'Skywalker, I assumed. Wrongly'. But he assumed correctly. The 'rising equal' in the light was Rey Skywalker, and not Luke. We know that now.

The rising Skywalker was Rey, and not Luke; so there's a precedent for the returning Skywalker to be other than Luke in the future.

Or: Palpatine's 'the princess of Alderaan has disrupted my plan'. That was Leia, but maybe we will know more about Rey's past, and the fact is that both Rey and Leia disrupted Palpatine's plan. Leia by calling Ben; Rey by saving Ben. Rey and Leia share the same journey, something that's stated in the film itself. (Also, when Luke says to Yoda 'I can't be what she needs me to be', that 'she' is both Leia and Rey)

In TFA, Leia wears her alderaanian dress (princess instead of general) when she sends Rey away and, in Disney terms, she's a fairy godmother (=magical mentor) of sorts.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Not ST era Luke. There is really nothing left for him unless we see more of his 6 years in exile on Acho-To or as a Force Ghost in post ST content.

But I have seen talk on this forum and other star wars place of wanting to see more of New Republic era Luke, before everything went downhill for him. A lot of people liked Lukes spotlight in BF2 campaign, and want to see more of this man.

Even before he begins his Academy, from giving Leia training to exploring the galaxy for jedi lore/artifacts with Lor San Tekka, there is a lot that can still be done with Luke.

I wonder if Disney would ever consider recasting for Luke.

If done right, I wouldn't mind seeing in live action, a young Luke pre-Academy.

K2771991 likes this.
  11. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Except for the thirty-four years between the OT and the ST and the infinate period of time after the ST. But sure, there's very little to explore;)

And there's almost a year between TLJ and TROS. Considering how many interesting stories Legands managed to fit in the roughly comparable time period between ESB and ROTJ I'm sure canon can do the same between the two films - heck, TCW managed to stretch a three year timespan into a seven season show just fine.

Jannah's group and Finn are outliers - most FO stormtroopers are fully brainwashed fanatics who have no moral qualms or issues with what their doing. A show about them would be not only fairly boring/one-dimensional, but essentially pro-facist, and I highly doubt Disney of all peaple would make a show like that.

Why assume future works would be shows or films? In all likelyhood the majority of what's made during the time periods were discussing with be novels and comics.

Possibly the assembled Jedi ghosts intercepted him and are now preventing him from making anouther return - that's what happened in Legends when he died the final time, after all.

"I would like more ST era Luke stories."

There, now you have;)

It's not like either the intersequal period (between the OT and ST) and post-ST period would be devoid of Jedi and stories to tell about them.

I suppose it's possible that, even if the temple was already their, they were based somewhere else prior to the last war with the Sith.

As for what Palpatine's reffering to, there's an "era of the Sith" reffered to in some canon works that ended with their last defeat after apparently several millennia of on-off-fighting.

Yeah, I get you[face_peace]

IMO I think of them being less beyond the circles of the world and more one with the world - the Force ties everything together, so by becoming one with it they become a part of the energy/life force of the pysical world; closer to it, not removed from it (hence why ghosts can still make pysical contact with objects/peaple within the mortal realm and Yoda can manipulate the weather in TLJ).

At some point they'd have to if they wanted to have him appear in future works.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yeah for sure... I'd like to see that too... but I'd see that being very much tied to the aesthetic of the OT and not the ST i.e. immediately/shortly after the events of ROTJ, rather than immediately/shortly before the events of TFA. :)

That wouldn't be the ST timeline though... that would be a completely new period. They are absolutely, at some point, going to do something set post the ST.

I'm sure they could. If the entire events of the ST ran the course of a month, it would still be possible to set another story running concurrently. That it was 'possible', wasn't really the thing being contested. Rather, it was more about the notion of whether there were plot points or situations in the ST, that were ripe for expansion and whether there was an appetite for stories to be told, in that period, that would result in TV shows/films.

If you're saying that Disney/Lucasfilm could never do a show/film that focused on the villains... and the internal moral dilemmas/power struggles of that group... then I agree. They are not, currently, creatively brave enough. If you're stating that a story showing how a 'grunt' would learn to question their training/instructions and look to overthrow their masters, or create insurrection amongst the ranks, would be boring... well the ST would like a word... they spent literally millions on a trilogy about nothing. ;)

I wouldn't assume that. I also wouldn't assume that there isn't a market for ST novelty toilet roll... But I'm currently not interested in ST novelty toilet roll... After all it's the films/TV shows that fund other projects... [face_tee_hee]

Yeah but Palatine had a magic potion to nullify the force powers of Jedi spirits...

Congrats.... Stories about Luke's milk collection here we come... :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't see problem with Luke milking, scene i mean he's a farmer.

K2771991 likes this.
  14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think they should make a trilogy out of it... [face_rofl]

15. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    You mean it`s the Seinfeld of trilogies? ;)

16. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    It’s great. The scene shows how far Rey’s (and the audiences) lofty expectations of him fell well short of the present reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    He's got some impressive fishing skills, though.

18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Luke was not that kind of a farmer. He grew up on a MOISTURE farm; not a dairy farm.

19. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I would assume that the Disney plan is get things aligned with OT/Mandarlorian. That would mean some form of retconning - but in a subtle way rather than the brute force TROS. I would imagine this would look like - New Republic (with a dash of PT here), some form of Imperal Remenant (again!) lots and lots of western themed ideas, (Rogue one was a Magnificent Seven pastiche, So is Mando), with loads of gangsters, bounty hunters and general scum of the galaxy.

The big thing I think they could do (but won't) is move things forward 50 years (thus they can ignore all the characters from the ST and events) except maybe Rey - Who they could bring back with old age effects and make-up.

The reason for doing this, is (and I can't believe I am typing this) is that When Conan Doyle released he made a BIG mistake killing Sherlock - he brought him back. It was a cheap naff idea - but people really wanted it - and so they accepted it.

Wait for it...

I think they would bring back Luke. I think they would do a literal Gandalf the White rip-off that Lucas originally thought about in ROTJ. And have him return physically.

(and if you think that is bad)

I also think they will invent a "lost" Luke descendant. A grandson he never knew about. Or probably grandaughter if they want to play it safe because....

I think they will do something major with old Rey. Not just write out like Jar Jar but actually make an antagonist. (maybe not the major one - But a bit like Ki-Adi Mundi)

They would try and do it in continuity, but they need to get back to the classic mythos shape, and they need to take everyone with them. Leia cant come back because Carrie is dead, Han can't because Harrison is very old and uninterested and can't plot wise - But Luke? He could, and Mark Hamill WOULD if it rehabilitated his character.

That new Skywalker would be the classic hero, in the shape that fans recognise. What Rey probably should have been. (Ben's lost sister)

UKS

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  20. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I suppose if one is arbitirarly narrow in their definition of what consitutes the ST era that's true, but by ST Era I meant "post OT era."

How Luke reformed the Jedi and what experiences he had with Ben that led him to become wary of him.
    The indentities, experiences, hopes, dreams and ambitions of Luke's other students and their relationship with Ben (currently we know their were around a dozen others and only have names and faces for three others) - were characters like Baby Yoda, Jacen Syndulla and the little girl from that episode of Rebels amongst them?
    The adventures of Rey's parents.
    The identities of Finn's parents/family.
    What happens between Lando and Jannah - is she is daughter as is implied, and do they ever realize their connection?
    Finn exploring his Force powers and possibly training as a Jedi (as well as how and when he relized he had such powers)
    The course of the war between TLJ and TROS.
    Ben's childhood and the events of Han and Leia's marriage.
    The status and evolution of the galaxy post-ROTJ and pre-TFA; how the FO grew in power and how the NR grew complacent, as well as the status and fate of the other emerging and established galactic powers that exist around them and the general geopolitical situation.
    Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order (assuming she does).
    What happened between Finn and Rose following their kiss? Did anything become of her budding feelings or are they just friends?
    Whether or not Palpatine had any behind-the-scenes machinations from Exegol in the interim years.
    The galaxy rebuilding after TROS; what happens to the remains of the FO and is the New Republic reformed or replaced with some other goverment? Who emerges as the leader of the two groups? What are their ambitions? Is the elected leader of the Newer Republic freindly to the ST heroes, wary of them or an enemy? Is he/her one of them? Who takes charge of the First/Final Order after the deaths of Palpatine, Kylo, Hux, Pryde and Griss? Is it anouther member of the Supreme Council or a Dark Side disciple of Palpatine?
    ...etcetera, ecetera, and so on and so forth...

There are plenty of stories that can be told, both before, after and during the ST - and no offense, PJ, but your limiting yourself by constraining yourself to speculating soley about them being presented in films and shows.

No, I'm saying that most FO stormtroopers (like 99.9 percent of them) would'nt have internal moral dilemmas or want to overthrow their masters, they'd just blindly follow orders and do terrible things willingly and without hesitation or regret becuase their brainwashed fanatics.

Finn and Company 77 were outliers. You go do what your suggesting with Imperial Stormtroopers or Clone Troopers during the early Imperial Period, but not with FO Stormtroopers given the way they've been set up.

Well this thread is to talk about how the francise can devolop using all means, not just TV shows.

Err...what?:confused:

Or stories about Jedi Master Luke hunting for Jedi lore, rebuilding the Order, training Ben and others and growing more cynical and doubtful in his ability to live up to what Yoda asked of him as time goes by.

Peaple just want to complain about things, no matter how minor.

(I'd argue the scene is also Luke trying to push Rey into going away by grossing her out - just like him climbing mountsides and jumping across ravines is him trying to get her to go away by being to difficult to follow)

Your assuming Tatooine as no creatures that can be milked - blue milk comes from Banthas, and for all we know the Lars milked and made it themselves.

No offense, but that seems like hella a strech, not really realistic and shaped by the assumption that there's something "wrong" with how things are that "needs" to be "corrected" (the whole premise reminds me of all those fanfics that popped up online after Game of Thrones ended that were written by angry Daenerys fans that invovled her coming back to life and the Starks inexplicably becoming evil).

I don't see any reason why Disney/LFL would'nt keep Rey as a hero going forward, let alone turn her into antagonist and replace her with Luke/a new Skywalker nobody convientally knew about, just becuase some fans are upset with how things ended.

21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    They won’t keep Rey because the SW numbers are bad and getting worse.

22. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @K2771991 , we know that the Lars farm was a moisture farm; not an animal farm. We saw the vaporators in the first SW film. We saw no animals and no shelters for animals on the Lars farm. We didn’t see Luke or his uncle feeding or herding animals.

Alliyah Skywalker and Darth PJ like this.
  23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't know if there's an official criteria, but I think most people would assume that when one refers to a PT, OT or ST timeline, they are referring to the specific period in which those films are set, or specific events/situations that directly lead into, or are a direct consequence of, events/situations depicted in those films. I think it would be fair to suggest that anything pertaining directly to the events of the ST e.g. Ben turning to the darkside, or Luke's adventures on Ahch-To, would be deemed 'ST era'. And conversely, anything post 'The High Republic' and pre The Phantom Menace, wouldn't automatically be deemed a PT era story.

No offence... but that all sounds utterly prosaic to me. They couldn't even make the events of the ST interesting, over the course of 3 films, let alone stories dedicated to the identity of Finn's parents (unless perhaps he was the offspring of Darth Maul and Ahsoka???). What next? The continuing story of the wampa with one arm on Hoth?

I'm not limiting myself at all. You're assuming that most people have the same preference that you do.. and if I recall correctly, you prefer the games, comics and books over the films and TV shows. That's not my bag... but I will happily buy the ST toilet roll, assuming they continue that line...:p

Who says? Where did you get 99.9% from? You seem to be limiting yourself to something you've read or heard outside of the films. Given that 2 out of 3 films in the ST contain stormtroopers who've absconded, I'd say it was not an insignificant issue. Point is, it's really down to how the writers want to depict events. I happen to think a show about a stormtrooper uprising/insurrection would be at least original (in the context of Star Wars), and was one of the only worthwhile concepts of the entire ST (IMHO)... which they unfortunately dropped like many other threads.

Why would it work better with Imperial stormtroopers when the OT never alluded to the notion of stormtroopers going AWOL??? That seems counter intuitive to me. Also, I'd point out that, in the PT, there were only 2 Jedi that turned to the darkside during that period (less than 0.1%)... and the repercussions of that were quite seismic. So yeah, Anakin was just an 'outlier'... no story there worth exploring.

Sure... by all means. I'm sure there's a myriad of ways they can continue to do ST stories in comics or books... My point is that I don't believe there's an appetite to see any ST stories in new films or TV shows. I'm not contesting that they will/will not produce comics set during the ST.

You seemed to be using liberal conjecture (Jedi force ghost intercepting him) to explain why Palpatine wouldn't have a plan, or succeed, in saving his spirit/essence again in TROS. I was using the same liberal conjecture to state that Palpatine would probably use a Sith spell to stop the magical force spirits intercepting his spirit mid flight.

And you said a First Order Spartacus style story would be 'one dimensional' and 'boring'? On this weeks show Luke discovers Jedi lore no. 137 [face_laugh];)

Alliyah Skywalker likes this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Not worse then in 2005 with the PT.

K2771991 likes this.
  25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder how what the split would be between the NR Era and the ST era.

I would consider Luke and young Ben not the ST era.

For me the NR era ends when the Academy blows up/Ben becoming Kylo/Resistance formed. I think the Resistance was formed 6 years pre TFA, same year academy blew up.

So around 24 years for that era.

Sure the NR is still around during those 6 years, but it’s in its twilight phase and the focus is on the Cold War between the Resistance and First Order. So I count those 6 years as the true beginning of the ST era instead of TFA.