main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Darth Vader in Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RX_Sith, Jul 18, 2020.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Great. Makes perfect sense.

Sproj and wobbits like this.
  3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The idea of Anakin flashbacks and present Vader moments is so enticing. This show will definitely be a love letter to Obi-Wan and Anakin and their complex relationship.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am super excited about basically everything we have heard about this series

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I was already in love. Now I'm ready to put a ring on it.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd think it'd a set-up for a Darth Vader series since it doesn't seem they are going to be a movie. At one point I thought most likely there would be a Kenobi movie and then a Vader one unless they were one and the same.

Since wherever the movies are going to be seems to be in such confusion I guess TV is going to be the place for Kenobi, Vader and possibly Maul. Which is fine since technology is getting to the point where they can at least do something that is somewhat equivalent to feature films.

I doubt that a Vader series with scenes on Coruscant featuring Sidious is likely any time soon. That level of visualization is still too far tout of reach for TV (outside of animation) but they can work around it to make it credible looking.

This is crossing over with the Kenobi series in that regard but for those who felt the relationship between EM's Obi-Wan and HC's Anakin was never quite where they wanted it to be in live-action this will hopefully allow some bridging for them outside of TCW animation.

Not personally relevant for myself but I realize that more scenes of the actors being the great friends that Obi-Wan and Anakin were will be very welcome.

Aah Fisto and Deliveranze like this.
  7. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    For me, it will hopefully be the opposite effect. I have some personal issues with TCW portrayal of the characters, so hopefully this will bridge the show for me in a way that makes the changes in characterizations more palpable.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think Lucas was going more for each being it's own thing while part of a larger view. I find TCW Anakin and Obi-Wan more or less work most of the time it's just that we didn't see the actor's doing that specific sort of thing. TCW works best with the movies when Anakin is dealing with Dark side issues. When he's just in a more overt hero mode it doesn't fit with the arc in the movies so it seems a bit off.

Deliveranze likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While it's possible that Vader could know that Obi-Wan was alive before the Death Star meeting, I'm really not into that idea if that is what happens, but I'm cool with Vader being in the series in some form (I wonder if they can get JEJ to voice him again or go with the "Chad Vader" guy. I know he's not Chad Vader but that's how he started and how I will always know him ahaha) Maul and Kenobi I think is a much more malleable continuity. As far as I'm concerned, Maul and Obi-Wan could have been lightsaber battling ever other week (just not on Tatooine).

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Well Vader can't know he is on Tatooine. which means the only way they could see each other again is if Kenobi leaves the planet.

Rebels suggested that Vader was looking for him. Sidious words suggested they didn't know if he was alive. so they can do it. everything just needs to line back up with Vader being none the wiser about the fate of Kenobi.

Sproj likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah like I said it's possible there's continuity wiggle room but I personally find it more dramatically powerful if Vader vs Obi-Wan was only 2 rounds, once in Mustafar, once on the Death Star. I'm not going to automatically hate it if it does happen, but i do think it decreases the dramatic power of their face off in ANH.

But I would be very happy if we need Obi-Wan fighting a red lightsabered baddie, him and Maul can go at it all the live long day, just don't kill Maul (send him to Malachor instead!)

Aah Fisto likes this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think we'll see Kenobi and Vader on their residents of Tatooine and Mustafar. We see Kenobi dealing with the loss of a friend and a religion. Vader is on Mustafar dealing with his own loss, Padme, Kenobi and having to awnser for an old wizard. I could see if all episode is an hour and it is 4-6 episodes. I could see little flashback between them and scenes of them dealing with the past and trying to move forward.

Sproj, TheManFromMortis and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I am hoping for Clone Wars era flashbacks with Portman, McGreggor and Christensen. I know they're ageless actors and all but almost 20 years from RotS may require a wee bit of digital trickery. Which obviously Disney/LFL would have the budget for, just really depends if they think they need it.

Sproj likes this.
  14. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I think Obi-Wan works fine and I agree Anakin's best moments are when they explore darker aspects. The Ahsoka on the Run arc is the closest I felt the show married the films in terms of Anakin. I don't particularly like the "Han Solo" approach to Anakin in the show, and while I understand the show was going for a more fun, serialized adventure approach in comparison to a character study like the films, I still prefer the 2003-2005 CW in terms of Anakin's portrayal. If they go with a more TCW approach for the flashback scenes, Hayden and Ewan doing it will definitely make it feel more comfortable for me.

15. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Kenobi post RotS belongs on Tatooine. Vader post RotS belongs anywhere but Tatooine. I guess it’s not impossible they met before the Death Star but I’m not sure how to make it work given the era. Plus not really sure why you would bother getting Hayden Christensen to be Vader. James Earl Jones is Vader’s voice and anyone can be Vader’s suit.

16. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Absolutely nothing can dim my enthusiasm for Ewan-as-Kenobi, which is really the one specific thing in the world I have wanted onscreen since SW started up again. But Vader, I've generally had enough for a good long while. He was used well in Rebels and the second Marvel series was just excellent, but every other use of him has just been pretty much whatever for me. If I were to rank my hopes for the Obi-Wan series in order of preference, they'd be:

1. Some straight-up Kurosawa **** with no nods to the greater state of the galaxy at all.
    2. Same with framing flashbacks to the Qui-Gon/Satine timeframe.
    3. Same with a mix of flashbacks to various pre-ROTS timeframes which could include some Anakin.
    4. Same with flashbacks to Obi/Anakin -- redundant with TCW, really, but would still be enjoyable.
    5. Okay, Vader, sure. Bends implied continuity at least as intended, but not impossible.

Seriously, though, I won't be bothered and I'll love this unless something goes terribly, terribly wrong, like more wrong than anything in SW ever has, it's just that much of a sure shot with me.

17. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Getting James Earl Jones to do the voice work for any fully suited Vader scenes has to be a top priority. Sure there will come a time when the great man can't or won't want to do it but until that time comes Lucasfilm need to do everything to utilise his legendary tones once again.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    You forgot RO. Vader was used to great effect in that film, we all can agree.

Sproj, DarthKreVass and wobbits like this.
  19. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    This is one instance where Vader needs to not be included. If there is any interaction, it undermines the dialogue in ANH. Having Obi-Wan doing any badass Jedi stuff contradicts ANH. Keep him as a hermit on Tatooine. Keep Vader on a SD far away from Obi-Wan. I love Obi-Wan, but this is the one show they should not be doing. This is one part of the Skywalker saga canon that needs to be left alone.

wobbits and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    RO is sorta the way Vader is best used. and personally thats also the way i could see him being used For Kenobi.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Mostly Handless and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I am starting to think this series will now be a flashback fest, possibly based on the short story 'Time of Death' in the From A Certain Point of View anthology book. The Vader vs Kenobi fight on the Death Star being recreated as the real time of the show.

22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    naw

23. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Oh really? Thanks for that interesting reply to my thoughts.