main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Probably the most bizarre request in cinema. especially given the options.

godisawesome likes this.
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Funny, but Genie's give you three wishes, not one;)

I'm confused, becuase the above post makes it look like your joking but this one makes it seem like your not - do you actually think Johnson only gave Trevarrow just one pick for something to influance? As opposed to saying something like "hey Colin, if there's any way I can help you set up your film just ask - after all we're supposed to be working together."

No offense, but that's silly and makes no sense.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think @vaderito ’s opinion makes sense in so much as that is at least one pretty clear bit of input from Trevorrow (or the nearest enough thing to it) that genuinely seems to just not having any good basis. You guys know I loath Reylo, or at least the way it worked out... but just deciding to make Poe the love interest with Rey instead in the third movie is a perplexingly uninspired and shallow choice.

I mean, I think such a relationship could have been healthier than the type of a Reylo Johnson seemed interested in (even platonically, for the record, @K2771991 )... but it feels like a type of romance idea that is disconnected from any type of long term payoff or resonance. Why promote Poe to romantic lead if both Finn and Kylo are options (since in theory you *could* restart Rey and Kylo’s relationship entirely)?

4. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    There are so many quotes out there that contradict this statement about the directors working together. All of them have pretty much said they were allowed to do their own thing. Also if you look at the tweets from Colin Trevarrow to Mark Hamill years ago after TLJ you know that his original pitch for IX included Luke Skywalker in it and he had discussed it with Mark and Lucas. The directors were not on the same page about this trilogy at all. Which is why it and all of the characters in it are such a mess especially Rey. I also read years ago that part of the reason Trevarrow got fired is because he had to redo his whole idea post TLJ and KK was not happy with any of the scripts and drafts he was turning in. You can find the evidence but asking Rian to leave Luke alive was apparently not something that was possible.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  5. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Thing is with Jedi characters can always return as FGs.
    Rian Johnson left that comment 'see you around kid' for precisely that.
    Yet another disappointment for me is that we never got to see Luke and Kylo interact with each other in a way that wasn't fighting.
    JJ seemed peeved that Rey wasn't as front and centre as he would have liked her to have been in TLJ, because just about the entire TROS was Rey, Rey, Rey. Kylo had much less screen time and poor old Finn and Poe were reduced to following her around as her beloved acolytes - I'm not a JB fan, but I was really angry how Finn was reduced to yelling 'REEEEY' every five minutes!

Okay, so she's the protagonist - fine. But unfortunately she wasn't a very interesting one. Rey had a amazing potential in TFA, but JJ and Terrio turned her into a dull, goody two shoes who could do no wrong. By the time she faced Palpatine it was obvious she wasn't going to turn ' she was Rey! Even her death scene came across as ridiculous - Jedi become one with the Force, Rey's stiff very obviously was going to be resurrected as she stayed there!

I'm sorry for Daisy - and I would have loved to see Dark Rey! I think Daisy would have had a field day.playing her.

6. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Um, I don't really see how this is relevent to what I said at all.

You don't like Reylo and you don't like the Poerey. And? That's not news, lol.

And yet we know Johnson communicated with Abrams and Trevarrow with Johnson (to the point were both of the latter changed things for both of the former) and we know Abrams was involved in the production of TLJ and Johnson was set to have the same involment in DTOF - Luke surviving TLJ involves a fairly simple, very minor change to the script and does'nt effect the plot of the film, and there's no reason for Johnson not to leave him alive if Trevarrow was really set on it happening.

Couple those with statements made (or at least statements I recall being made, correct me if I'm wrong) before work started on the trilogy that each director would work with the next to ensure continiuty and the fact that TLJ builds pretty naturally off TFA and DTOF would have done the same with TLJ (with only TROS really being out of sink with the other films), then it seems pretty obvious IMO that their was in fact much more coordination then peaple assume.

Allowed to do their own thing is not mutually exculsive with coordinating with the person making the next film to ensure the two movies fit together.

I highly doubt it was ever in the cards for Rey to turn evil. Disney is not going to wrap up a three trilogy long storyline about good triumphing over evil with evil emerging victorious - whether Rey would live or die I could see as being up for debate, but that she would live or die good and the trilogy would end with evil defeated I'll bet my bottom doller, my roomate's cats and the fancy sports car I don't own was always the way things were going to end.

And regarding what you said about Finn and Poe - I actually though they were fairly well-utilized in TROS; aside from having (IMO) some great solo, duo and trio moments throughout the film both got a critical role to play in the final battle that complimented one others and Rey's and (like her role) put their specific skillsets to use and was IMO a suitable climax to their three-film arcs and character developments. In addition I think both were given some good setup for future stories to be explored post-TROS (Finn exploring his Jedi abilities and finding a place for himself in a galaxy at peace when he was raised for war and Poe's further evolution as a Jedi and the possible repairing of his relationship with Zorii, as well as how both will handle and cope with the reality of Ben Solo's turn-heel and contributions to Palpatine's defeat)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  7. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    @godisawesome is correct. CT went on the record that he wanted big roles for Luke and Leia. Since CF died, that would logically transfer additional importance to Luke as the only surviving OT character. Rian, I think it was him, revealed that CT asked him to add Rey and Poe scene at the end for their relationship would be important in the CT movie.

While one wish is obviously a joke, I find it super bizarre that CT's takeaway from TFA and TLJ dailies, footage, script reading, etc was that Rey and Poe should be a couple in the last movie. It appears (from his script) he was quite wedded to that idea hence asking for a scene addition. Now, we don't know if he asked for some other changes that were veto'd but since discussion was about that he could have asked Rian to spare Luke, I had a little bit of fun with it. [face_cowboy] @K2771991

godisawesome likes this.
  8. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Obviusly he did'nt want Luke's role enough to insist on him surviving the film.

I'm sorry but I just find it nonsensical to buy into the idea that Trevarrow apparently wanted him to live so much and Johnson refused for...reasons...when it would be super easy for him to accommodate him, would'nt nessesitate any major changes to TLJ and he had no reason not to do so. It A) makes no sense for Johnson to refuse him, especially when he did'nt refuse him on Poe and Rey and B) it all smacks of yet more "RJ is an evil jerk and is responsable for all the ST's woes" hysterics.

Maybe he just really liked the idea of them as a couple and thought it would be interesting. What's so bizzare about that?

9. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    Believe what you want but CT has said that what happened in TLJ screwed up his original plan for IX. The coordination between the directors was so minimal it was non existent. If there was a high level of coordination then they should be ashamed of themselves for putting out a truly sub par product as a whole. Disney likes to say there was a high level of coordination between directors but almost every time a director has talked about things on an interview or not through the mouse the story has been completely different than the one coming from them. The directors and writers coordinated very little on this trilogy and it shows.

reyvision and ChildOfWinds like this.
  10. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why think that? Should yell or fistfight Rian Johnson for it?
    I think they share 1 scene together, where they exchange dialogue on screen and that's at the end of TLJ.

godisawesome likes this.
  11. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    They shared one scene in TLJ because CT asked for the scene to be added. Otherwise Rian wouldn't have it in the movie. And the scene, as played, doesn't really fit. It's too flirty which is strange for the context (Resistance is shredded to just 20 and Rey and Poe are meeting for the first time). So obviously the idea was to speed up the attraction between them (to make sense in the next movie) even if it didn't feel right for the movie at hand.

I poke fun at it a lot because it's an A Grade example that they were clueless about ST's overarching story and character arcs. if your last movie director sees finished TFA and has full access to TLJ (footage, script, etc) , enough to know that Rey and Poe do not meet in that movie either, and still thinks that Rey and Poe romance should be a major plot point in the last movie, that's a massive screw up/miscommunication/lack of vision, etc on the part of ST management. You either go "Dude, WTF?" and nip it in the bud, or, if you like it so much, make the second director do some re-shoots/re-writes to make it more prominent. But this is simply letting directors throw everything and a kitchen sink and see what sticks. Rey and Poe didn't, obviously.

12. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    It’s great. Affirms Rey is somebody.

Kylo to Rey in TLJ: “You come from nothing. You’re nothing.”

Poe and Rey a few scenes later:

Poe (to Rey): “I’m Poe.”

Rey: “I’m Rey.”

Poe: “I know.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2771991 likes this.
  13. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I remember seeing that scene and thinking "OMG, that teased Finn`s crush in TFA, that creepy thing she had with Kylo here, are they seriously gonna do her with Poe in the next one?" It`s like a soap-y show where every possible couple variation at least has to be teased once. Good thing there wasn`t a fourth movie as they were rapidly running out of guys. Hux?

14. Jedi_Fenrir767

Oct 16, 2013
    It's everything that is bad about YA fiction, were you Team Finward of Team Kycob oh wait now there is team Poe ffs....

15. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    @JohnWilliamsSonoma

That's your interpretation but not either director's intention. It was there to quickly set up the attraction by being a callback to Han and Leia. It doesn't hurt to see it the way you see it but that's not what they were going for.

I understand why CT was into this. It's a traditional, old-school dynamic that still holds tons of appeal among regular folk that likes Jurassic World in big part because of Owen and Claire courtship. You have a classic "uptight heroine discovers her wilder side when she meets a charming rogue" dynamic. While progressives will call it misogynist, it's simply a dynamic that is comfortable with femininity and masculinity, something that modern movies are less and less so (hence beta male characters and female characters who feel like they were written for a man). In Owen and Claire case, they are classically good looking, he harkens back to Han Solo and Indiana Jones (prompting fan casting for both characters) while she loses more and more of her business attitude and attire as the movie progresses and her action/adventure skill level goes up to eventually save the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So no wonder that he wanted to model Rey and Poe after Han and Leia. I don't think it would work because ST tried to make Poe into new Han with little success and I see no reason why relationship knock-off would work. Especially with this script:

First kiss

[​IMG]

Second kiss

[​IMG]

I think that this scene from TROS is a residue from Rey/Poe dynamic in CT script:

it even has a pet caught in between (BB8) trope

16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Logically then, if they coordinated "very little" it was by their own choices, rather then due to some nebulous, malignant outside force. And IMO the alleged lack of coordinate only shows in regards to TROS, becuase TFA and TLJ fit really well together (though any movie could have fit well and DTOF synchs up well with TLJ. Mind you I'm not saying they coordinatedly closely - I doubt anyone would argue that - I'm saying that it's pretty obvious they did communicate and were willing to change things in their films for each other.

I don't subscribe to conspiricy theories; if Trevarrow had really wanted Luke to survive, I see no reason why Johnson would not have obigilied him, so logically if Trevarrow said he originally wanted Luke to survive he must have dropped that idea or changed his mind at some point, rather then kept pushing for it.

Becuase Luke died in TLJ - if Trevarrow had really wanted otherwise then he would have lived, simple as that.

The would have shared more scenes in DTOF, though.

Hot guy meets hot girl for the first time, and they low-key flirt with each other becuase they find their mutual hotness hot. Nothing strange there.

Like come on, I've seen peaple flirt at funerals, and I flirted with a cashier a couple days after my mother died, flirting and grief are not mutually exclusive. Nothings strange there either.

And Rey's uptight? Lol, you really read the character differently then I did - I don't see how she's uptight in the least.

I honestly don't see why you see it's as such an issue. For the record I'm personally agianst an romantic things for Rey in the ST, but at the same time I don't see what's wrong with Rey and Poe - if Trevarrow thought they would be an interesting couple then more power to him, it's his film so why not let him explore what he wants to explore? Nothing in Rey or Poe's character arcs preclude the possibility of a romance between them, and I don't see how it hurts (only adds to) the overarching storyline.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Is it? I don't think that's something that can be stated for a fact.
    That doesn't equal it being set up or developed and it doesn't mean I think it'd be strong writing to do it.

18. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Very few things can in this world, but I'm not arguing based on facts, I'm arguing based on what I see as logic.

The scene in TLJ was the setup, and the devolopment would have been in DOTF.

19. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    We can go around in circles forever so I'm pulling out of this circular argument. My final is that set up at the very end of Movie 2 out of 3 is very awkward given that the first movie didn't think it was important that they meet even briefly and the second one spent considerable time setting up something else. It isn't about the pairing itself but the lack of unifying vision for anything including romance or maybe especially romance (also see Finn's bizarre romantic woes without any payoff involving 3 different women and a totally-not-gay-look-he-had-a-girlfriend BFF with whom Finn bickers like an old married couple). It seems that they wanted to have something romantic but were pulled in too many different directions including by directors with different preferences.

20. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    I mean, the scene could be written to serve multiple purposes. The dialog exchange fits in nicely with the ideas I mentioned and the moment comes after Rey is finally seen by the Resistance for the gifts she possesses and has assumed her role as the Jedi hero of their struggle.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    I don't disagree that it fits just that you put more thought in it than they did. You made it deeper than it really is.

22. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    If you see Finn's relationships with Jannah and Poe as in any way romantic your reading waaaay to much into things, lol.

23. JohnWilliamsSonoma

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm not sure any of us know the answer to that since we weren't privy to the writing process. The way Rey's face lights up when he says "I know" really puts the period on it for me.

K2771991 likes this.
  24. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    It's a stupid starstruck face light-up. I really don't think it's "I'm appreciated and respected" one.

[​IMG]

C'mon man it is flirty. That's what CT wanted and Rian delivered.

This thing even starts with this dumb shyness. LOL, why is she acting like that all of sudden? She held hands with and shipped herself across the stars to another guy less than 2 hours ago and now she acts all "I never spoke to a handsome man before oh my I can barely lift my eyes or I'll blush oh oh"

[​IMG]

cringe city

[face_tee_hee]

25. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    I think it's not illogical to suggest that it's not impossible that, if asked, TLJ ending wouldn't have been changed.

I think, to me, that's not a strongly written set up, for the last movie, after almost 2 movies of those characters not, as far as I remember, interacting on screen.