main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Gaming Förceboat Parté - JC G4m3z thr34d (Gaming General Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Jan 27, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The title was presented in all caps, which resulted in me reading it as "AY-VOE-WEDD". Then they cut to a guy saying "Avowed" and i'm like, "What the heck is Avowed?".

Chewgumma likes this.
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Microsoft demands you shut up criticising their PR, or they'll send the zombie deer after you.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Some new details have come up about their new game:
    1) There will be absolutely no DLC for the game. Additionally, some features will be removed over time.
    2) Game play will take upwards of almost 2 hours from beginning to end, if all side quests are done.
    3) An incredibly detailed and large world, of which 98% does not factor into the story.
    4) No overpriced 'special platinum editions' of the game. All game copies are the same price - $80.

;)

Chewgumma likes this.
  4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    EDIT: On second thoughts, I think I may have misunderstood the reference.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    What's with games having "Console Launch exclusive" at the start and then saying "Coming 2021" at the end? Did I miss a delay or something?

In no particular order:
    Halo Infinite definitely hit on the Combat Evolved nostalgia button, but I'm not sure it has enough in the tank to be a system seller any more. It feels like it's been left behind somewhat. Also, seeing an FPS in 2020 with no ADS outside of scoped weapons is weird.
    Avowed looked good. Who was doing the voiceover for it? Was it Richard Armitage?
    Forza is a big yawn.
    Destiny 2: Beyond Light is looking damn sweet. I'm already dreading the new powers in PvP though.
    Phantasy Star Online 2 looks like pure anime bull****, which is fine by me. I'd definitely give it a go, especially if it's on Game Pass.
    Fable is a big meh. I tried playing Fable 2 and it bored me to tears.
    I'm wondering if that Warhammer 40k game will be a squad shooter. Either way I'm all for more games in that universe.
    STALKER isn't a franchise I've ever played, but it looked suitably moody. It's reminding me a lot of Dark which I've been bingeing lately.
    Medium looks like a great game that I won't touch with a ten foot barge pole.

Personally I'm still not sure I've seen enough that'd tempt me to get it over a PS5, especially when I've got a good PC already.

What's good overall though is that there isn't a massive gulf in terms of quality of the games shown so far. Playstation definitely seems to have the lead on exclusives, but as with all console generations it'll come down to who does third-party stuff better. If Microsoft can nail that along with Game Pass they're in a really good position, especially if they price the Series X aggressively.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I seem to half recall this from the previous go-around, but I think marketing departments view launches as nebulous "windows" now rather than day and date.

The big issue for me with the SX (and I say this as someone who loved my 360) is I'm pretty entrenched in the PS4 and that and Switch typically get all the good weeb ****. I honestly have no idea what they could pull off to get me to change over that I wouldn't also view as a massive jerk move (e.g. buying somebody out).

... Okay, Lost Odyssey 2, I guess, but that one I would only believe on release and not a second earlier.

mnjedi, Jedi Ben and Chewgumma like this.
  7. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Go after Molyneux all you want, but I won't hear a word against Fable 2. It had Stephen Fry hamming it up gloriously, and I loved it.

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    God I hate marketing departments sometimes...

It didn't help it was a couple of years after it came out and it had aged horribly.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just you wait for the Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 exclusivity announcement.

Chewgumma and Ramza like this.
  10. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    This basically where I'm at. I loved my 360, but switched over to the PS4 and a Switch Lite for this current gen and will very likely be getting the PS5. At this point, the only reason I'd get an Xbox One or Series X is for backwards compatibility once my 360 dies.

solojones and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

Seems it's still pretty ridiculous. It's come to light that Dragon Quest XI S will require a separate purchase on PS4 and PC, in the same way Persona 5 Royale is separate to Persona 5.

Not just that, it's a straight port of the Switch version, so all the visual downgrades remain.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What a load of *****. Just buy the PS4 version - game looks amazing.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I don't who to blame for this, but I'm going with Sugiyama.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That works for a Kiryu Yakuza-style yell: Sugi-yam-a!

15. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007

I absolutely hate this. If you go read the interviews as well, they basically threw up their arms, said the story was not newbie-friendly, and slammed their hand on the Reset button. Granted, it looks pretty and I'm sure ill play through (Game Pass ftw), im just really disappointed they basically ended on a cliffhanger and went “ meh, **** it, lets just make an open world Halo:CE reboot and tell them its all a mystery.”

Its reeks of poor decisions. From a dude who grew up playing halo 2 online who has played every halo game with same friends from halo 2 online. My whole Fireteam is really disappointed.

Don't get me started on either off screen killing or fridging Blue Team again. RIP Kelly, Fred, Linda.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Telltale is re-releasing their Batman series in black-and-white "Shadows Edition"

“We’re excited to be able to build and continue the legacy of this iconic Telltale Games franchise by launching The NEW Telltale Batman Shadows Edition today,” said Brian Waddle, Chief Revenue Officer at Telltale.

Um, I don't know that I would call Batman a "Telltale Games franchise" exactly. And I hate to support this kind of silliness, but I never did play this one . . . maybe this is the excuse I need to finally catch up to it. OK, fine, I will buy this.

Looking forward to the All Tapestry edition of their Game of Thrones.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  17. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Shadows Edition has been out for a while now. Check the date on that article. :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Hmm, apparently, the shadows betray me because they belong to you.

[​IMG]

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    @Rogue1-and-a-half You should definitely check out the Batman series, I think you'd get a kick out of it. While the first one has some ~fake choices~ they're really good about consistently giving you enough options that you really feel like you're playing "your" Batman. I played a relentlessly deontological version (i.e. "I refuse to feel guilt over people you killed.") who never lost sight of the fact that he was Bruce Wayne first, Batman second, and they completely enabled it, it was awesome.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Speaking of Telltale, I should probably do another play through of Tales of from the Borderlands at some point. Loved that one.

blackmyron and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Great bundle, that. I mean I already own all those except Heaven's Gate, which will now be on my wishlist.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Tales aside (which, honestly, is probably the best Borderlands game there is, by far), Telltale always disappointed me for doing a 90 turn away from their roots. I still love playing the old Sam & Max and Monkey Island episodic games... I mean, they beat Valve at their own game (pun intended) by managing to produce episodic content when Valve completely dropped the ball (and no, making a new game in the series that is only available to people with a very specific type of hardware is just another way of saying "exclusive" in my book, and doesn't make up for the Episode 3 debacle).

soitscometothis likes this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So apparently this Avowed game by Obsidian takes place in the Pillars of Eternity universe? It said the "world of Eora" and Eora is the name of the pillars setting. I wonder how that's going to work. I loved Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and I think the setting of 18th century imperialism fantasy was well made. Is this going to take place in the past?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...rson-rpg-set-in-the-pillars-of-eternity-world

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I feel like it's got to be either way in the past or way in the future, right? No way MS ponies up for their precious new studio to make a pricey first person open world or semi-open world game and saddles it down with plot dependencies from a series people unfortunately didn't end up buying.