main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    future for now with Star Wars is streaming on disney plus, And right now we have more exciting shows.

Darth PJ likes this.
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    This "generation" stuff is utter bogus. I don't know why it gets thrown around so much. It simply lumps together vastly different people from completely different areas, using completely arbitrary age-ranges. Why would someone from the "early stages" of a generation be more closely aligned to someone born 20+ years later than someone from a different "generation" born just a few years prior? It simply makes no sense.

Each individual human has his own ideals and standards, which can to some degreee be influenced by his surroundings. To pretend that there is one coherent identity to all people from an arbitrarily assigned group just doesn't fit to reality. Large events can shape the people who are around at that time, e.g. a big war that influences everyone who lives during that time in that specific area, but that's about it. That still doesn't make those people a coherent group either.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Because it is so much fun, especially with older members of the family.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s actually a brilliant idea. Generational conflict in the GFFA. The TV show writes itself.

For the record, I am indeed a Gen Xer. Therefore, Boomers, Milennials, Gen Y, Gen Z, etc, are all terrible people.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    All_Powerful_Jedi, Lee_ and EHT like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Are you sure you wanna tout your Gen Xer cred my friend. Like aren't Gen Xer's like, the forgotten generation between the Boomers and Millneials ;)

I kid in gest.

Does the Star Wars galaxy have a lost generation ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2020
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Sometimes, somethings can just be worse now than they were before... ;)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Wow, this is some real reactionary nonsense.

[face_laugh]

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You only think that because your generation didn't have to suffer like mine:

[​IMG]

Luna2112 and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And, you can't tell by this map, but it was uphill both ways, and we were barefoot. Shoes hadn't been invented yet.

Luna2112, DARTH_BELO, EHT and 2 others like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The current generation will have us beat in a couple decades. All they have to say is “Covid.” No uphill or downhill qualifier needed.

11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

COVID
    2008 Recession
    The recession/depression we have now because of Covid
    Wars (Well every generation had that so...)

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That was there own fault- the generation that would not wear and mask and are having "Covid parties."

"The generation that caused the Covid Depression." [face_laugh]

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    As an IP I think the focus should be tv for now. Use the gap between 6 and 7 to explore and plant the seeds for events to happen post ST. I think that’s when a new saga should take place. It could be a few hundred years or thousands of years after 9. Maybe 10 to 15 years of building up a new fan base of younger people and go from there.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I totally agree with this

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Millennial here. I consider Dude, Where's My Car to be my generation's Godfather.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    With the report that the SW films have been delayed yet another year - meaning it will be three and a half years now until any new SW film is released, I really hope all of these SW Disney + series that are supposedly "in development" see the light of day. I"d say that would be enough to tide me over till they begin the next theatrical SW series...whatever it ends up being...But if all these ideas don't actually come to fruition other than just more Mandalorian, Cassian Andor and Bad Batch (which that one I'm not really TOO excited about), what else will we have!? Books about the High Republic? It runs the risk of feeling like the year after ROTS was released all over again.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  17. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That's on us as well now... not all the Boomers? [face_laugh]

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Blame is important- everyone else feels better when there is someone to blame, and who better than those in the folly of youth?

19. admiral_Jim

admiral_Jim Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2004
    I think less is more with respect to the cinematic side of things. Use Disney Plus as a space for innovation and experimentation and keep the star wars cinema experience as a premium product. I'm not a ST basher (liked some things, didn't like others etc) and I really enjoyed the Mandalorian.
    I also feel that moving away from the traditional timeline for the movies will help and ultimately will decide the future of the franchise, the big question is; can Disney build a big-screen universe without the Skywalkers et al that can engage the kids, sell merchandise and entertain adults. I personally feel they can and will.....but maybe not the slam dunk I thought it once was.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  20. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Well said. Agree with everything said 100%

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know...I'm seeing people everywhere of ALL different ages that don't wear masks...[face_plain]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Lee_ likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You mean to tell me media images could be distorting the partying spring break youth having "Covid parties" and destroying society as we know it? 8-}

The next thing they will tell me is that it is ridiculous to throw sweeping generalizations onto whole generations. [face_laugh]

23. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    People don't want movies in the James Bond universe. They want Bond.
    People don't want movies in the Indiana Jones universe. They want Indy.

TV shows will probably be different, but the films seem to struggle the further they step from Luke, Han, Leia, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader.

jedi-soon, Luna2112 and 2Cleva like this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s a silly comparison, as those other two franchises simply take place in our world, and are explicitly focused on just one character. Star Wars doesn’t follow the Bond or Indy model at all, as it’s a wholly created fantasy, sci-fi world with ensembles of characters. Fans want Star Wars. The GFFA. The world. Same as fans want the world of Star Trek and Middle Earth and Westeros. The classic OT characters are hugely popular, but the world of Star Wars is a primary appeal. Rogue One did incredibly well, and the Mandalorian (and Baby Yoda) are already pop cultural icons, and there’s not a Skywalker near them.

Star Wars fans want a world to escape in and great characters. But there’s not a singular focus on one character, as in Bond and Indy.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    DARTH_BELO and Riv_Shiel like this.
  25. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I think you overrate the world and underrate the great characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.