main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Why did Yoho have to say that? Now he’s more of a yahoo than a Yoho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Yoho's answer would have been acceptable long ago. But he was belittling her due to deep-seated jealousy he fills within. AOC is very accomplished. She is a powerful figure, and much of the objectification toward her is based on envy, since the hearts and brains of others do not compare to hers.

I mean, I'm sure AOC has some flaws, such as her desire for popularity, I guess. But she's gone out of her way to have compassion for kids and families unjustly put in cages. As some have said around here, we could label her a moderate. But she's one of the most prominent people standing against different forms of economic oppression and human rights violations in government. The way people try to shame her for what she wants to do is disgusting.

3. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I thought what he said was incredibly disrespectful and likely sexist.

I didn’t expect her to make a big speech about it. But it’s kind of on brand for her and when you have your enemies vulnerable, you attack any spot you can get.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Likely” sexist?

And I don’t know that anyone expected her to make a speech about it, because too many women in the past (and some currently) would have just demurely accepted his fake-ass “apology”. I’m glad she did it though.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's crazy that it wasn't even, like, in the middle of a heated argument. He just walked up to someone he'd never spoken to before and hurled slurs because she dared to connect poverty to crime.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think him being outraged at linking poverty to crime says more about him than the words he used.

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm not really understanding the veiled critique here. Why shouldn't she make a big speech about it? Sexism is a topic du jour. She's a politician. One of the biggest tools of a politician is the spoken word.

8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I pretty much agree with Lindsay here. More and more Americans are accepting of trans people. 2019 polls I read showed majorities of Democrats and independents accepting us. I gotta say I commend Ms. Ellis and the Harry Potter lead actors for disagreeing with Rowling. Rowling doesn't understand that she's transphobic. But she is inflicting harm. Lindsay is right. We should no longer purchase her product.

I was just looking at how many black transgender people are killed in Texas, and it's worse than when I was living there. It saddened me. So, words do have power, and we need to stop all the misogyny and other forms of bigotry against trans women, trans people, neutrois people, and people of any of the countless genders. I think the misogyny against trans women is no different than misogyny against cis women. The more women and girls are oppressed, the sicker a society becomes.

Emma Goldman will always be my favorite feminist due to her anarcha-feminism with its rebellion against marriage inequality and gender binaries. She was ahead of her time. But she said societies are defined by those they demonize and persecute (i.e. sociological labeling theory). People are not deviant. No one is. But certain oppressors lie and label those who are different, and that causes them to be seen as minorities. The fact is that trans people are probably a little more common than people would surmise. I'd also wager that many so-called heterosexual cis people probably would be open to embracing gender identities such as neutral, neutrois, non-binary, etc. if they understood what those concepts were. For me, I always saw the hetero people and the cis people as the ones pretending, not the people with the dozens of other genders or trans people. That's just my subjective opinion, however. I didn't meet any trans persons until I was 30 in 2016. But it wasn't all lonely and depressing. I enjoyed being the Vice President of a few organizations in college and I loved reading growing up. Ha ha. Plus, I had two loving parents. Dad's an FDR/McGovern Democrat, and Mom's a Nixon Republican who refused to vote for Trump. But they paid for my surgery. Yeah, I got through Texas. Oh, mamas. ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  9. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    So many girls are put through this.

One of the Marxian techniques I've found is that society encourages people to believe some are prettier than others. I used to be terrified of girls with large breasts. I'm like my mother in that regard. You'd be surprised how certain people are bullied. Capitalism sets many girls against each other. But if we rise together, we fix some problems. The latter part is enjoyable and worthwhile.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Here's something that I wish we had had all along: a news organisation by women and for women

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I think we need those. Do you listen to Feminist Frequency? I like Anita Sarkeesian. I'm mad about the death threats she's received. She is very smart. Her analysis of video games was insightful. I already knew that video games had problems, but she clarified that they had more problems with women (absence, objectification, violence, etc.). She and her crew analyze movies in a way I like. Plus, she includes both cis and trans women.

I'm going to check out what you just shared, too.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm going to look her up :)

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Surprisingly, Tomi Lahren made some good points about how us girls don't like shallowness. We tend to move on when we feel used.

Having said that, would I trust Tomi Lahren's insight on other things? No. I know people call her White Power Barbie and Swastika Barbie. I vehemently agree with her position on not looking down on women who have worked in sex work to find their way through college and to get other jobs. I believe the point is that she wishes that we didn't live in a society that forced women into those positions of abuse. She wishes that women were paid equally. Plus, ya know, guys have a had problem moving on, whereas we move on more easily.

Otherwise, I wouldn't agree with her Republican agenda. That's just me.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  14. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Her reason for doing so was right on point. It was very astute of her to use his own speech to indict his male chauvinism, male chauvinism broadly, it’s destructiveness to her relations and to his own. I am beyond ready for a dominant role for women in political leadership and by that I mean intelligent humane leadership of a progressive nature.

15. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Haha, "likely" sexist. There's nothing that sticks in a misogynist's craw (by which I mean incites threatening rage) like a pretty young lady who refuses to agree with you.

16. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Pretty much. I've done that, and it peeved off a failed entitled musician and a failed entitled psychologist. They just thought I was a guy, so they called me that, and that shows how violent they were. I'm not sure why they felt they owned me in 2017. I barely knew them. So, yeah. That was my last taste of any misogynistic dribble that even caught my radar. Nobody's buying their music or their books, and so justice was served.

That's the best way to defeat them in the short-term.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I would argue that she is neither a fourth-wave feminist nor a transfeminist. I suppose you could make the case that she is a first-wave feminist of some sort, but her homophobic and transphobic ways show that she is pre-21st century and pre-1960s, to say the least. That's just me. I still like some of the ideas she came up with in Harry Potter. I just choose to ignore all HP videos and I threw the books out. I agree with Lindsay Ellis. If you're not a transfeminist, you're not a feminist.

After all, Hillary Clinton did not leave Bill Clinton after the later's activities with Epstein. Therefore, that's an example. Sometimes, the label of feminist is utilized for certain purposes.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I believe in gender equality and I am adamantly opposed to gender stereotyping of any kind.

I am reluctant to call myself a feminist anymore because there are far too many people who self-describe with that term who love gender stereotypes and vehemently defend them, and that includes TERFs but is not limited to them.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is where I stand, as well. It's getting more challenging for me to identify as a feminist.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Man, that’s sad to hear.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  22. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    When I opened this thread, I was thinking back then that there are a lot of different versions of feminism. Like with most ideologies, the main term is an umbrella term. So I guess the disagreements with other feminists and there being friction between the camps, I’ve always viewed as par for the course.

I’m a feminist and I know what I mean and I know what I don’t mean. I don’t think one term can accurately describe all of the beliefs down to their core. It’s a complex term. So when I hear “radical feminists” get a bad rap or a bad name and people equate that to all of feminism, I sigh but don’t back down from calling myself one.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm just more comfortable with equal rights now. I don't want or need the feminist label anymore.

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm with you on this issue, @anakinfansince1983 - gender equality seems like the best term to describe my beliefs, tho I also kinda wish labels weren't necessary. There's been times when I've felt some people attached more importance to the labels than to the underlying beliefs (this isn't just in regards to feminism/gender equality issues)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, there is the term equality feminist. I believe that's what you were describing yourselves to be. But I guess you were rejecting the label. I can't say I'm surprised. There is a difference in your likes and posts than in the past. But egalitarian is pretty much the best position, so here, here! :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020