main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Official "List Your Complaints about Rogue One" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by BretHart, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Best Disney Lucasfilm movie by a long shot. Hard to dispute that.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I have a bit of an alternate theory that Rogue One was a big reason the ST turned out the way it did. With RO being as good as it was, coming right after the release of a very well received lead in to the ST with TFA, everybody kind of backed off and defaulted to having full trust in what Disney was doing with the franchise. And by everybody, I don't just mean the fans, but the film industry and the media as well. There was no pressure on Disney whatsoever and nobody was keeping them in check at that point, which allowed them to just do whatever the hell they wanted. And by the time people started to express serious concern about it after the release of the TLJ, it was too late. And there was very little that could be done to right the ship, which further resulted in the mess that became TROS. If you genuinely like the ST, you have to admit that it could have gone in a completely different direction than it did and been so much better than it is. Whereas if RO hadn't been released when it was, or if it wasn't as good as it was, there would have continued to be a lot more pressure on Disney after the release of TFA to maintain the standards expected of a Star Wars trilogy.

3. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    By a MASSIVE mile. And I think its way better than ROTJ also. It segues into ANH so perfectly I never watch one without the other anymore, and revel in a 4 hour masterpiece.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  4. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    Easily my favourite Disney era film and my third favourite overall behind ANH and ESB

Bor Mullet likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This is the complaints thread. :p

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, which just goes to show you how good Rogue One is. :p

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Exactly. Plus, @bb8isno1 said Rogue One is his THIRD favorite Star Wars film. That's downright bashing, in my view.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Chancellor Yoda, MotivateR5D4 and EHT like this.
  8. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Ok. Ill complain. Its too good. Its too good a Star Wars Movie as it messes with my youth, my 40 year rankings of the original trilogy etc. Its AS good as New Hope and way better than ROTJ.

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I honestly feel fortunate to have basically experienced what it was like watching a SW movie that was as good as any of the OT in theaters specifically at a time when Star Wars fervor was at an all time high. I saw RO about 20 times in theaters throughout the first few months of 2017, when it was only RO and TFA that had been released. Star Wars was absolutely everywhere, there was excitement and enthusiasm through the roof about it, and the fan base was the biggest it has ever been. I also attended Celebration in April right in the middle of all of that. It was a truly awesome time to be a SW fan.

Chancellor Yoda, BadAcrobat and EHT like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I am kind of annoyed with Rogue One for unseating ANH and ESB as my favorite Star Wars film. That counts as a complaint, right?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's second to ANH for me, but yeah... what the hell, Rogue One? I had to edit and modify my favorite movie lists because of you. [face_not_talking]

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

Chancellor Yoda, EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. BadAcrobat

Apr 20, 2015
    Haha, just like my complaint. I still prefer The Empire Strikes Back, and the fact that Rogue One does such an amazing job of segueing into A New Hope and basically becoming a single, superlative movie, makes it all easier to handle. Im making excuses though. And that's another complaint, I have to make sure I have a good spare 4 hours to watch both.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    There wasn't Rogue Two! [face_not_talking]

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    There was really only one moment I thought was a bit too fan-service-y. Dr. Evezan and Ponda Boba on Jedha. So unnecessary it even takes some (rather farfetched) explaining as to how they got out of there in time before Jedha was destroyed.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    They were on their way out of the city when Jyn ran into them. So they likely had their ship parked nearby and then headed out. Remember that it happened well before the partisans capture them, and they still had to trek across the desert to Saw’s hideout. I agree, though, that it was unnecessary. Though for those who don’t know who the two ruffians were? It was just a bit of local color to make Jedha start off as threatening and tense. It worked in context. The 3PO line, on the other hand, was a bit too outside the narrative for me. I wish we just saw him and R2 racing along the halls in the Tantive IV. No dialogue.

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It was fan service, but it was also a way to give the two movies a bit more of a direct connection. When you think about it, just a little while later those two are getting hacked up by Obi-Wan in a bar on Tattooine. Which basically is only one degree of separation between Jyn and Cassian and Luke and Obi-Wan. I think that's a pretty cool connection.

I agree. I could have done without the 3PO line. Especially being that that probably had more to do with Anthony Daniels being the diva he is and making sure he had at least one line of dialogue, than in actually wanting 3PO to have a line in the movie.

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I forgot about their journey to Saw's hideout. That would've been a couple hours at least. Still-IMO there was NO reason to have them in there.

I actually forgot about 3PO and R2! YES-blatant fan service there, the very definition of "shoehorning" a character into a film. Though I felt they were less out of place than Evezan and Ponda-cos it would make perfect sense the two droids would be on Yavin base at that time. But even though it makes sense for them to be there, I agree it does take you out of the narrative of the film. It would basically be the same as showing a cut scene of Yoda sensing the destruction of Jedha while meditating on Dagobah! (Which I imagine he did, but still.)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  19. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    I disagree, it makes NO sense for R2 and 3PO to be on Yavin. Bail went to Alderaan to dispatch Leia to Scarif. Does she make a pit stop on the way to pick up the droids? Why? Does she leave Scarif to Yavin to pickup the droids, but not drop off the plans (she wants to deliver them directly to dad only?) - with Vader in pursuit en route to Alderaan by way of Tatooine? I guess Vader didn't notice bother to scan Yavin IV? I liked that they were in it for a moment, but when and where didn't work for me.

I don't mind Doc & Baba one bit, but neither would I miss them if they weren't there.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Based on the sequence of events in RO, and 3PO’s line, I think the implication was that 3PO and R2 went to Scarif aboard the Tantive IV, which was hitched to the Profundity (Raddus’ ship).

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  21. Riv_Shiel

Apr 12, 2014
    So Bail goes to Alderaan aboard a ship other than Tantive IV, leaving it under Captain Antilles' command as part of Raddus' forces? R2 and 3PO go to Scarif aboard the Tantive IV and are docked aboard the Profundity when the Death Star plans are transmitted? Leia goes from Alderaan to Scarif aboard a ship other than Tantive IV and docks with the Profundity, at which time she disembarks the ship she arrived in and transfers to the Tantive IV? When Vader boards Profundity, Leia takes off on Tantive IV once the plans are aboard. I guess that works, but it seems kind of clunky to me.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Leia was already on the Tantive IV. That Bail radioed Leia, told her "as soon as the Tantive IV is fixed, head for Tatooine and contact Ben" - and then set off for Alderaan himself to tell the Alderaanians that war is starting and that peace is no longer an option".

Tie-in material stats that the ship was undergoing minor repairs while docked to the Profundity.

My guess was that right after 3PO's "They're going to Scarif" comment, him and Artoo are rushed to a shuttle, and reach the Profundity right before the actual jump to hyperspace. After they get to the Profundity they make their way to the Tantive IV.

Leia becoming custodian of the plans, was not intended at the time - but it fell out that way due to the Profundity's being disabled and boarded.

Her original mission was just "go get Ben" - but "get the plans back to the Rebellion" ended up getting added to it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No. Leia is on the Tantive IV docked with the Profundity. I just assumed she was docked with the Profundity on Yavin IV, and when Raddus found out about the Rebel attack on Scarif, he took the Tantive IV (including Leia, 3PO and R2) with him on the Profundity.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Riv_Shiel

Apr 12, 2014
    So during all the Rebel meetings she is waiting in the car?

25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No. Bail sends for Leia after the big council meeting concludes...So she must’ve arrived after the Rebel meeting.