main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Rogue One was so good, why drop Anthology films because of Solo?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Durge27, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    You’re not off to a good start here. I’m gonna go ahead and ban you now for the trolling spree you’ve been on today and we can discuss this further in your UR.

2. CISMestizo

CISMestizo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2020
    I think what really affected things was the production of Solo. It turned into a nightmare that went way over budget and didn't do nearly as well as people expected. The whole argument of a brand fatigue is poodoo. You have Marvel spitting out movies left and right making hundreds of millions to billions of dollars. I think it had less to do with a General Audience being fatigued and more the issue of rushed production and mishandling at Lucasfilm that led to poor quality movies and fan mistrust. I think Disney wanted to put the breaks on things to re-calibrate their approach, but they also can't admit they made a mistake otherwise it could hurt shareholder confidence. So it's easier to blame fickle fans then to blame their own mismanagement.

I get the appeal of having a movie based on such a popular character, but I just did not see the movie being a good idea the moment it was announced. The movie would have sky high expectations, needed to justify its existence and had the monumental task of recasting Han Solo. One issue with Harrison Ford is he puts way too much of himself into every role he does so he's not an easy actor to replace. I think an Obi-wan movie would have been a safer bet since you had a proven actor and potential stories. I think you account for this and the movie shortly following the backlash of TLJ a lot of momentum going into Solo was sapped.

3. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    I think it is a shame that the anthology films were dropped as there were more stories outside the main saga to be told. Rouge One was a brilliant film even though Solo is one of my least favourites it was still not a bad film.

RetropME, Avnar and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If they are continuing the Anthologies on Disney Plus the train hasn’t been stopped. Its just continuing on a different track. Both RO and Solo were the best things to come out in recent years.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If not for the need of reshoots they would not have dropped anthologies. It actually made what they expected, just shy of 400 million. The issue was they wanted to make these films for 100 million and under but the production cost went up to 275 million.

So despite some loud negativity from "fans" before the movie was ever filmed we would have been getting more had the production cost worked out.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. In fact, I think we lucked out. Instead of getting anthology films every other year, we’re getting anthology TV shows every year.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I think an interesting unintended consequence of having "A Star Wars Story" attached to the title of any future films is that it will continue the legacy of Rogue One. The fact that they stopped making anthologies makes it so that sub-title is now something only attributed to RO and Solo. And it will likely stay that way for some time. So rather than it being some generic meaningless sub-title placed on several movies, it will carry almost an honor to it in the next film to have that sub-title, almost if that movie had to have been worthy enough to carry it. And the longer it goes without that sub-title being placed on another movie, the more it will continue to grow as this legendary status.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

I rather have long and more developed Anthology tv shows then movies anyways. So much potential, especially for the Cassian show.

bb8isno1 and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was really disappointed at first that the Kenobi movie was cancelled in favor of a streaming show, but with the quality of TV these days, it's really just a good thing. It's just more of the good stuff with more or less the exact same quality.

cwustudent, Bor Mullet and themoth like this.
  10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    There is no need to separate the movies like Anthology and others, they are Star Wars movies.

I think it's because of the Last Jedi and the Rise of Skywalker. Not only because of Solo. They don't want to take risks anymore, which is understandable.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I think they learned that these "stories" belong on Disney+ in a series format, while they saga the blockbuster large scale type movies for the Cinema. Also Star Wars just needs a break, there is definitely fatigue.

I also think Solo is an amazing film while Rogue One is just "Meh" so what do I know ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the hell out of R1, and I felt pretty underwhelmed towards Solo.

13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You know nothing, Darth Buzz!

14. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I know that Rogue One was so bad, it’s not getting a Sequel!! :p

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    No, just an entire spinoff TV show... ;)

16. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Actually I heard it IS getting a sequel where a new group of heroes have to get the Death Star plans the rest of the way to the Rebel leadership, and then the have to blow the thing up. Coming soon, I hope.

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    so we have new hope of a RO sequel.

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    No spoilers in this thread. Please take that discussion to future films.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I heard it's coming out in 1977... fingers crossed.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It will be the greatest thing ever. I have foreseen it.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If it’s good, they might make more.

22. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    I hear someone named Mark Hamill is one of the leads in the sequel...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, he's the guy from Corvette Summer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That guy was in an episode of The Streets of San Francisco I believe.

25. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Wasn't he in some commercials too?

They're really reaching with this casting.