main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests THE 2020 SUMMER GAMES - GAME DESIGNER'S CHALLENGE EDITION

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by The Jedi in the Pumas, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    THE ROLE PLAYING FORUM PRESENTS

***THE 2020 SUMMER GAMES - GAME DESIGNER'S CHALLENGE EDITION***

Do you have it?

The work ethic of a Game Designer.

[​IMG]

Are you willing to make the sacrifices to be the best Game Designer?

[​IMG]

Do you have the focus it takes?

[​IMG]

If you answered yes to all the above questions, welcome to the 2020 Summer Games - Game Designer's Edition

The challenge is simple. 30 days. 3 Story Design Prompts. 7 days from the announcement of the prompt for the GMs to get their Opening Post submissions in. All participants will PM their submissions to moi, your charming game host! The Opening Posts will be posted by your friendly neighborhood game host to retain anonymity during the voting process and eliminate any pesky biases. Each submission will be posted on the same day, separately and voting will be done through utilizing the LIKES system. You want to vote, click that like button!
    [​IMG]

While we normally love to support everyone in the community, because the
    LIKES system is being utilized as a voting system here, only like the submission you're voting for. After the 3 days are up, the final tally will be posted and the new prompt will be announced, beginning the cycle anew. After the final tally, on day 30, all the likes will be added and discussions taken into consideration and the winner of the Summer Games will be announced as the inaugural King or Queen of the Summer Games - GDE edition to be rewarded with a two weeks of VIP color status and bragging rights!

Oh those sweet, sweet bragging rights![face_devil][face_devil][face_devil]

Game Rules:

1. Respect and Adhere to the TOS
    2. Constructive and respectful discussion of the submissions only.
    3. Contestants have the full 7 days to submit their OPs. Contestants who miss the submission deadline will miss out on that submission and will cost themselves all those sweet, sweet tallies.
    4. Each prompt will contain at least one image of a and a genre/topic. The use of the image is required for participation. It's part of the fun! (You can thank @Reynar_Tedros for that one!:p)

All of you awesome, ambitious GMs....It's time to flex those mental muscles and show your creativity!

Sign-Ups Start...Now!
    1. @DarkLordoftheFins
    2. @Lawbreaker
    3. @Reynar_Tedros
    4. @Imperial_Hammer

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
  3. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    I sign up, too. This could be interesting!

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  5. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Welcome GLADIATORS!

OLYMPIANS!

Sign ups will remain open for a week or until we get a nice, round, competitive number!

Sinrebirth and darthbernael like this.
  6. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I wish I had time to participate in this, really do. Will be watching and voting though. Good luck to all those brave souls participating.

7. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    [​IMG]

Count me in. This will be fun on the other side.

-I_H

8. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    *kicks down the door*

The final four it is then!

We will begin with the first prompt on Wednesday Gentlemen!

Sinrebirth and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Let us do this!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I forgot to sign-up here.

But you can bet I'm gonna LIKE STOOF.

11. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Our Commentators for this Olympic Broadcast will be none other than:

[​IMG]
    NBC's Bob Costas

and
    [​IMG]
    Imperial News Network's Emperor Sheev Palpatine

Let's Introduce our olympians!

(@DarkLordoftheFins )FIN: The German Dark Lord
    Bob Costas: One of the premier German General Managers of the Forum, Sheev. He's one of the more experienced athletes we have in the game today.
    Sheev Palpatine: Yes...Yes, he is Bob...I sense great darkness and power in this one...
    Bob Costas: Uh...Right, I'm not sure how that will help him in a General Managing competition, but let's move on.
    Sheev: *Glares and Hmms...Maniacally*

(@Reynar_Tedros )REYNAR: The Trouble in the Quarantine Bubble
    Bob: Reynar Tedros is nimble, agile, creative, and has a bag of pop culture references to pull from. Would you say it'd be a surprise if he came out with the gold?
    Sheev: No...No, not at all. He reminds me of an old apprentice of mine....Let's just hope there's no lava around to kill his all of his natural potential. Huh? *Nudges Bob*
    Bob: I'm getting quite uncomfortable in the broadcast booth with you Sheev, I gotta say.

(@Lawbreaker )BREAKER OF LAWS
    Bob: Lawbreaker has just what any GM requires: Mystery. I can't say I know anything about him at all.
    Sheev: Well Bob, some of the best work is done from the shadows. Away from the light. Some people spend their entire lives in the shadows. Then randomly get elected to a high public office. Then they assume control and rule with an Iron fist. Oh...I like him. This guy's going to go far.

(@Imperial_Hammer )IMPY THE HAMMER
    Bob: ...Moving on. Last, but certainly not least, we have Imperial_Hammer. As a former moderator, he's no stranger to ruling with an iron fist. Is he a favorite of yours too?
    Sheev: No...No he's not Bob. He relinquished power. The best rulers never relinquish power and always install horrifying deep shafts on their Death Stars.
    Bob: However, Imperial Hammer has a long history of creating some of the more thought provoking games in the history of the RPF. I think we got a competitive group of 4 olympians who will give it their all. Let's turn it over to blu. Blu!
    4 men enter. 1 Man will win...

[​IMG]

LA FIRST GAME MANAGER PROMPT

The Image:
    [​IMG]

The Genre: Science Fiction
    This is to say that the OP must clearly contain at least 1 element of science fiction.

GO!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  12. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #1 for Prompt 1:

There are 7 billion humans on this planet.

There are 900 million dogs. 600 millions cats. A billion cows. 40 billions birds. 10 quintillion insects.

There is one of them. Only one. It is really just one cell that has survived Antarctica.

How could everything fall apart because one single organism you ask?

Well, it multiplies. It infects. It assimilates. It is here to consume all the 75 billion tons of biomass this planet has to offer.

The Thing reached civilization on the 2nd November of the year 1982. Where were you when it arrived?
    Watching a race?

[​IMG]

Having a good time?

[​IMG]

Enjoying solitude?

[​IMG]

Wherever you were, there was no escaping the fact it was the day the Thing arrived and it would always be remembered as the day. The only question that remained was, would it be remembered by us or by IT.

[​IMG]

THE THING II - Infection
    A Science Fiction Horror Game

Welcome to The Thing II, the sequel to the John Carpenter classic horror movie from 1982 and a game about survival against the worst nightmare imaginable. A creature imitating, absorbing and finally eradicating life though a simple touch.

You start the game in Boston on the 2nd of November 1982. That is the day the remains of two American crew-members of Outpost 31 are brought back from Antarctica to the Whitehall Institute of Science in Boston, Massachusetts, for further examination. At 14:31 Doctor Michael Andrews begins his examination and whatever he found he left his laboratory at 14:53 without giving reasons to walk the streets of the city. An hour later he was seen stroking a dog on a playground, before speaking to young child. An hour later the first reports begin to tickle in at the emergency center about strange creatures attacking people. At 17:00 the US Government proclaims a Quantenelektronik over the city and surrounding region and activates the military to enforce it. Humanity begins it‘s fight for survival, against a seemingly invincible foe.

Who are you gonna play?

Five roles (six characters) can be chosen from.

The Doctor - A colleague of Michael Andrews who is asked to investigate the laboratory.

The Soldiers - Two soldiers on holiday visiting their families or just looking for fun in Boston. They are in full uniform and can be of any branch of the US military.

The Danish Agent - A spy for the Danish crown who has investigated the complete annhilation of a danish outpost in Antarctica and has followed the traces of the creature responsible all the way to Boston.

The House Wife - A woman who waits for her husband to come home, only to realize something is terribly wrong in her neighborhood.

The Homeless - A man or woman living on the streets who becomes an early witness to the terrible ongoing in the the city.

The Character Sheet:

Name:
    Appearance:
    Equipment:
    Biography:

The Rules:

1. GM word is law, always
    2. No Godmodding, harassing of players or otherwise unfair behavior
    3. All character sheets must be submitted to the GM.
    4. The game will have six characters, handed out on first-come-first-served basis. If a player submits for a role already taken, he will be made aware of it so he can submit for another character.
    5. If a player gets infected by The Thing, he will play his character one until The Thing shows itself. From that point on the GM will take over.
    6. Character Death and assimilation is a very real possibility.
    7. NPCs can be created and used within reasonable limits. Nobody is immune to being a Thing, though.
    8. Have fun!

13. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #2 for Prompt 1:

[​IMG]

"The 1st September 2025, 8035 we talk to the subject apprehended within our facility last night. The Council is present via digital conference.“ Agent Harms said the words into the room, being fully aware every word was recorded.

"Paul.“ The other man simply said.

"Paul?“ Harms smiled. "That your name? Paul and then what?“

"Just Paul. I do not have a second name. But better than subject, probably.“ Paul said calmly and looked around in the interrogation chamber. "You like it clean and modern, do you? I must say this is a nice change of scenery.“

"From what?“ Harms asked.

"From everything. You should begin now, you have not a lot of time.“ Paul said and sighed. Harms smiled. He knew every technique there was to avoid answering questions. Clearly this guy was choosing the "get the interrogator out of his concept“ method.

"Paul, you are fifteen levels below the surface of the earth, surrounded by military personal in the best secured facility of the world in the middle of nowhere. I assure you we got all the time in the world.“ Harms sighed and leaned back. "So how did you enter?“

"The same way I am gonna leave.“ Paul simply said and sighed.

"You did not answer the question.“ Harms said.

"What do you know about spatial time reactors, Robert?“ Paul asked and Robert Harms raised a brow being addressed by his name. Then he looked at his name batch. R. Harms. He had probably guessed. Robert was the most common name in the US with an R after Richard. Clever little bug.

"Not much. What do you know about this?“ He lay the picture they had found on the man on the table.

[​IMG]

"Grand Prix of Michigan, 1971. Amazing race.“ Paul said and smiled.

"Why did you have a picture of it in your pocket?“ Harms asked.

"It was an amazing race. Big fan of racing. I always try and see one, when I travel.“ Paul said and smiled.

"You were not even born when this happened.“ Harms said. "Well, what about this one?“

[​IMG]

Paul leaned forward. "The demolition of the Ohio works.“ He said calmly. „Great pic, don‘t you think?“

Harms smiled. "Oh yeah, well what about this one?“ He asked and put the third one on the table. "The guy looks a bit like you I gotta say.“

[​IMG]

Paul said and smiled. "Yeah, that is me. The other guy you do not recognize?“

Harms looked at the picture. "Should I?“ He looked over to the face watching from the screens.

"That is you.“ Paul said. "Let us say we will change roles eventually.“ Paul smiled. "Of course you do not remember this, do you?“

Harms looked at him. More strategy? Games to avoid answering any questions? Maybe. Or was it possible this was connected to the project?

"I indeed do not remember this.“ Harms said and leaned back.

"Why do you think that is the case?“ Paul asked. He lay his head aside."I can tell you, because it has not yet happened for you. It has happened for me. About 80 years ago. That evening you told me about this place and what you did here. See? 130 years I hunted you, also we both skipped a few of those years I assume.“ Paul smiled. "You early operators really had no idea what you were doing, did you?“

"I am not sure what you talk about.“ Harms leaned back. Was this possible? Was this a result of actions not yet executed?

"This is Project Autanum. You seek to explore the possibilities to travel back in time here and eventually you succeed and what can I say . . . You really, really did not behave.“ Paul smiled. "Which is why I am happy too meet you, finally. Again. Robert.“

Robert Harms looked to the visibly nervous directors and then back to the prisoner.

"So you are from the future?“ He asked. "You wanna make me believe you know what I am gonna do?“

"You already did it where I came from. Anyway, yes. I am from the future. I am here to stop you from executing your little operation. From your clueless questions I assume I actually made it here to a time before you have acquired the ability to travel through time. Correct? Do not answer. I know. Top Secret.“

"So how are you gonna stop us?“ Harms asked and leaned back. "Break out and rip this facility apart? You are aware your existence only proofs the possibility of time travel, do you?“ Harms smiled. "Just what I need to get my prototype test these Gentlemen so far considered a waste of resources.“

Paul smiled and then nodded. "No, actually you won‘t. But don‘t worry, I got no miracle machine that can get me out of here. I do not need to, though. I am not the one who is gonna rip the facility apart. That is what we got them for.“ He said and the lights went out.

T.A.R.C.

Temporary Anomaly Research and Containment

A Time Travel Thriller

Welcome to T.A.R.C., we are the guys who repair things. Timelines especially. In the far future of 2100 the technology to travel through time exists and is heavily regulated, as you probably know recruit. The first attempts have lead to horrible results and in a reaction to this the UNITED NATIONS OF EARTH have established an organisation solely dedicated to the cause of avoiding any manipulations of the timeline. T.A.R.C., the Temporary Anomaly and Containment Bureau. Every T.A.R.C. Agent - and we are talking about you and your colleagues here - is equipped with a portable device that allows him to travel through time. T.A.R.C. has the exclusive access to this technology in these times.

So who is messing with time then? Oh, regrettably they are plenty. Rogue Agents exist, actually. Do not believe those who tell you they are a legend. They are not. Also we cannot mess with the technological evolution of T.A.R.C., there were other projects that did not lead to the natural evolution. Actually there are so many, one would be forgiven to believe someone is distributing the time-travel technology along the timeline. Then there is a rumor of travelers from the future. At least one assailant T.A.R.C. has eliminated claimed to be from the year 2176 and that he was working to prevent a terrible Desaster from happening. What do these guys do? Oh, some escape the harsh reality of our times to simply go back and use their knowledge to live a life full of splendors and riches. Those are the least dangerous, as they usually have a mediocre impact on timelines. Then there are those who simply try to repair things. Kill Hitler? Cure Black Death? Save Andreddi? You have never heard of Andreddi? Yes, we actually are working on that. Anyway, those are the more dangerous folks, as they usually consider themselves to be absolutely right and just in their cause. They are obviously not. Their manipulation leads to unforeseen changes in the timeline, which often wipe billions out of existence. Butterfly effect, you will have heard about this in you basic training on temporal theory. Then there are the doomsday people. Those who fo some reason believe they have to change things for the worse, trying to disturb even time itself. Grandfather paradox? Going back to kill your ancestor and avoid the birth of your father, which leads to you never being born and therefore, how could you go back and avoid it in the first place? Man, you do not wanna be near when these guys succeed. Time has it‘s own way to deal with these things and I can tell you there is little more frightening then the universe correcting mistakes. Few agents who have survived this have maintained their sanity.

So you go after those guys and make sure they do not mess up time. You work alone or in teams and you work with as little impact on the timeline as possible. Minor changes usually get corrected easily, but you get what I mean. Do not start World War IV without necessity and please, please father no children.

Okay, enough of the pep talk. Ready? Bravo Team awaits you in the chamber. We got a guy who send an especially nasty 1888 Serial Killer into the year 2015 and we need to stop this guy, before he starts killing hookers. After all, there is a President of the United States somewhere down the line from one potential victim.

Good luck!

Character

As an Agent of T.A.R.C. you are a perfect Ghost. Whatever history you had has been erased from your consciousness and history. You only have a first name and a job to do.

Character Sheet

Name: (first name only)
    Appearance: (age is a tricky thing for time travelers, so it is more important what age you look like than what age you actually got)
    Equipment: PTD (portable time-travel device, looks like a watch) and then?
    Special Skill:
    Favorite Era:

Rules:
    1. GM Word is law
    2. No God-Modding, except when explicitly allowed
    3. Every post states Name, place AND time
    4. All CS to the GM for approval
    5. Enjoy the ride

Lawbreaker and darthbernael like this.
  14. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #3 for Prompt 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Are we on? Oh. Ahem. Hello! I’m Dr. Theodore Elliott. Welcome to TIME! It is truly an honor to be speaking to you today.”

[​IMG]

“Now, I’m sure you have a lot of questions, and I’ll do my best to go over the broad strokes with you in this video. It’s my understanding that you’ve gone over all the necessary paperwork and pre-screenings, signed the nondisclosure agreements and all that jazz... so you understand that secrecy is of the utmost importance here at TIME. It is absolutely essential that what we do here remains unknown to the outside world, and what I’m about to share with you must stay in this room. Not even your family or your closest friends can know what it is we do here. It is... for the greater good.

“So. The basics. What is TIME? Well, TIME, or T.I.M.E., stands for Timeline Impairment Maintenance Enterprise. We are a secret agency of the United States Intelligence Community, and what we do is we travel backwards in time, whether it be one year or one thousand years, and we repair rifts that appear in the space time continuum.

“Now, I know, that sounds a little crazy, even for someone in your field of expertise. But think of the universe as a brain, or a computer. As your brain gets older, things start to... malfunction. Your memory gets hazy, some abnormalities can occur, et cetera. Well, the universe is the same way. After all, it is billions of years old, something’s bound to go haywire, right? Well, that’s where we come in.

“Now, think of a typical maintenance worker in any other field. A grocery store, for example. Say a customer accidentally bumps into a glass jar of pickles, spilling the contents all over the floor. Well, it is someone’s responsibility to grab a mop and clean up the mess, so that it seems as if it was never there in the first place. And that’s essentially what we do. Only instead of cleaning up a grocery store, we clean up the timeline of our universe. And instead of using a mop, we use a HAMMER.

[​IMG]

“The HAMMER, or H.A.M.M.E.R., stands for Host for Accelerated Multispacial Molecular Elemental Replacement. It was created by my esteemed colleague, Dr. Martin Charles, seen here in this photo. Being as his initials are M.C., I petitioned to the powers that be that we call the device MC’S HAMMER, but that request was... sadly denied.

“Without getting into the nitty gritty, scientific mumbo jumbo, what this machine essentially does is it breaks your body down into a mass of subatomic particles and transports them across time, rebuilding you in the selected period of history in a matter of seconds. This process has been known to cause some mild sickness for most of its users, but with enough time and uses, your body will become acclimated.

“After arriving in your selected time, you and a team of agents will work to repair the rift that appears in that period. Now, rifts can be caused by any manner of things, but they usually involve something sudden and impactful. A gunshot, an explosion, a car crash, whathaveyou. For example, our inaugural mission took us here, to Tokyo in 1991, thirty years into the past.

[​IMG]

Apologies for all the black and white photos, we're working on getting our printer's color cartridge replaced. Federal budgets, you know. Anyway, as I was saying. During a drift race, a driver had crashed his car into a wall after using too much speed going into a turn, and the force of that impact created a rift in our timeline. So, as Agents of TIME, we went back, kept that driver from participating in the race, and the crash never happened! Thus, the rift was never created. We called the mission Operation Tokyo Rift. That was my idea.

“Anyway, as you may have guessed from that story, all that’s required to repair a rift is to stop whatever the catalyst happens to be from... well, happening. Once you do that, we’ll use the HAMMER to bring you back to headquarters. It’s... not always so easy or simple, but we have faith in all our agents that they can handle any obstacle that happens to come up.

“Now, I know everything I’ve just told you is a lot to take in, and it’s perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed. But you would not have been selected for this project if we weren’t absolutely sure that you’re capable of great things here. So, take a moment, relax, and breathe. You are meant to be here. Now, if you wouldn’t mind just looking over the paperwork you were given before watching this video, including your Personnel File, just to make sure we have all your information correct...”

Name:
    Date of Birth:
    Appearance:
    Strengths:
    Weaknesses:
    Employment History:
    Biography:

“...and then the Rules and Regulations, for legal reasons of course.”

1: Send Personnel File to the Game Manager for approval before posting in the thread.
    2: All content made public must follow the terms of service as outlined on TheForce.net.
    3: If an agent fails to respond in a reasonable amount of time and hinders the progress of the mission as a result, he/she may be left behind or otherwise terminated by the Game Manager if no communication is given.
    4: These responsibilities also apply to the Game Manager, and the mission will he updated bi-weekly at the very least.
    5: As this is an endeavor that adheres to an episodic format, openings for new agents will be closed at the beginning of each mission, and reopened between its conclusion and the start of the next operation. Prospective agents may check the Resource postings for information on new openings.

“I congratulate you, agent. You’ve taken your first step into a larger world... I’ve always wanted to say that.”

15. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #4 for Prompt 1:

Gold Rush: The Blue-Blood Derby

The Story

[​IMG]

Excerpts from “The History of the Republic of Mammoth” by MidWhig Ebenezer Smoot. Excepts compiled by Miniwhig Bobo Twillis.

Pre-History
    The Republic of Mammoth traces its roots to the ancient American state of Kentucky. Before World War III, the state was one of 50 others, working and cooperating well with its neighbors, and answering to a Federal Government in Washington D.C. Its people were happy and prosperous, with food and opportunity for all. This age ended in 2098 with the Third Great World War and the official end of the modern era.

The Fall Out Era
    The United States of course bore the brunt of the war. We have heard that nuclear missiles struck most major cities, but limited travel west of the Rocky Mountains makes this difficult to confirm. Here in the East, however, the various lands of the old government were not affected evenly. Of those lands spared, our dear homeland in what was formerly known as Kentucky did well. While the Cincinnati was annihilated, the bomb that hit Louisville did not detonate, and the bomb that hit Nashville malfunctioned, releasing a greatly decreased payload. Rather than facing fiery infernos, the ancient Kentuckians needed to only contend with the fall out from the rest of the world.

[​IMG]
    Artist rendering of the Annihilation of Nashville. The collapse of neighboring Tennessee soon followed.

Amid the creeping toxins, an event known as “The First Great Schism” occurred. Although they did not know it at the time, this consequential event laid the foundation for the Republic of Mammoth. While most of the citizenry sought shelter in the massive expanse of one Mammoth Cave, a few ambitious souls instead chose to storm the old U.S. Fort Knox. Abandoned considering the inbound apocalypse and the major wars, these early "Knoxers" seized the fort and the vast treasures therein.

The Nuclear Winter
    Over the next 200 years, these two groups of Kentuckians endured the brutal nuclear winter. The Knoxers used their gold and guns to collect the wealth of the surrounding towns and villages. With many of their residents choosing to go into the caves, there was no shortage of supplies left behind. Meanwhile, the larger population living in Mammoth Cave established the Republic of Mammoth. Their lives were hard, as the caves made farming difficult. Many lived off of mushrooms and resorted to grizzly practices like composting the dead.

[​IMG]
    Knoxer Liberation Vehicle now held on display at the Nuclear Winter Survival Museum at Knox

The Blue-Blood Accords
    While life was hard for the cave dwellers, they enjoyed one benefit that the Knoxers did not. Mammoth Cave offered much more protection against the damaging fallout and radiation than Fort Knox did. By the 2450s, the Knoxer people were suffering profound radiation induced illnesses, from cancers to mutations. The ascendancy of Big Whig Samuel Dellibern (2453-2499) brought the issue to fore. Realizing that his people were dwindling, and that the Knoxer gene pool needed a deep cleaning, Dellibern approached the tribal leaders of the Republic of Mammoth and proposed a historic deal. In exchange for shelter in the Republic's caves, the Knoxers would use their gold, technology, and weaponry to enrich and protect the entirety of the population. A deal was struck, and a branch of Mammoth Cave was ceded to the Knoxers. The deal is now known as the Blue-Blood Accords, as ancient Mammothers used the term “Blue-Bloods” as slang for the Knoxers. It was said at the time that outside radiation made the Knoxer's skins look blue, but this may have also been due to low-light vision adaptations proliferating in the Mammothers at the time.

[​IMG]
    Knoxer accountant cataloging their treasury, circa 2525

Beginning of the Derby
    As everyone knows, around 2600, Knoxer scientists determined it was safe to venture outside of the caves. After years of leveraging their wealth and buying influence among the Mammothers, the Knoxers found it prudent to return to their home in the now safe Fort Knox. They wisely used their wealth to rebuild and restore its functionality, renaming it simply Knox. This greatly upset the Mammothers, who suffered a dramatic decline in their standard of living because of this. Without Knoxer treasure, the many Mammothers had to return to agriculture and other simplier ways of live. This decline was particularly pronounced among the majority of Mammothers who decided to remain living in Mammoth Cave.

To smooth tensions and promote peace, Big Whig Autobert Magnimus (2591-2641) proposed the first Blue-Blood Derby. His idea was genius. The last act of a dying Big Whig would be to hold a grand race across the local lands. The winning racer, and their resulting tribe, would be allowed to join the Knoxers for the length of the life of their leader. They would replace the family and tribe of the dying Big Whig, who would then leave Fort Knox and rejoin the Mammothers in the rest of the Republic. In honor of Big Whig Magnimus's love of antique cars, the races were always held with pre-apocalytic vehicles. The idea was a fantastic idea for all parties - the Knoxers got fresh members to their still suffering gene pool, and the winning Mammother tribe got to enjoy the largess of Knoxer living…

[​IMG]
    Photography of Deadman's Curve (near Bowling Green) during the 2765 Blue Blood Derby.

-------

Your reading is interrupted as your friend sits next to you…

"Hey, have you heard! They’re saying that Big Whig Bofesius Flange is on death’s door! And at the young age of 110, can you believe it? A Blue Blood Derby has been called on New Years Day. What a way to start off 2830! I hear the Flange family is heart-broken, getting expelled from Knox. And they’re such a big family, over 2000 members! They’re originally from Bowling Green I heard. I hope they’re ready to deal with the pack of megatoxofoxes that have been terrorizing the countryside. I’m sure they’ll make it though. I wonder who the twelve clans will select as their racers. Are you thinking about entering? You should!"

The Game
    Welcome to Gold Rush: The Blue-Blood Derby. This is intended to be a post-apocalyptic, science-fiction racing game set across a wide span of the Kentucky countryside. Players have the choice of playing as either a Blue-Blood noble or a Mammother racer. Each will have their own role to play in the story. Mammothers will be engaged in the Derby, which will follow certain posting rules in between waypoints. Meanwhile, Blue-Bloods will have a more traditional story-line, observing the race from the safety of Knox on their holotubes. However, each Blue-Blood player will have a number of “influence points” (IPs) that they can spend on impacting the race. After all, the winner and their people will be living at Knox for decades to come. It’s important to make sure the right people are selected!

[​IMG]
    Entrance to Mammoth Cave, Home of the Mammother People

Mammother Players
    Those choosing to race will be enrolled in an 8-legged race looping around the post-apocalyptic interior of Kentucky. The race pathway is as follows:
    • Louisville to Elizabethtown via the old I-65
    • Elizabethtown to Bowling Green via the old I-65
    • Bowling Green to Glasgow via old State Route 68
    • Glasgow to Russel Springs via the old Cumberland Parkway
    • Russel Springs to Somerset via the old Cumberland Parkway
    • Somerset to London via the old State Route 80
    • London to Lexington via the old I-75
    • Lexington to Louisville via the old I-64
    Each leg will have specific characteristics that players will need to remember. At the end of each leg is a base-camp that allows racers to rest, refuel, and get ready for the next stretch of the race. Depending on the leg, some of these camps are better furbished, and safer, than others.

Racing will be managed using the following system. First, there is will be a Post Maximum Limit (PML) which determines the length of the leg. For example, if the leg has a PML of 12, the first player to post 12 times will win the leg. Second, there is a Sequential Post Limit (SPL), which determines how many posts need to pass before a player can post again. This prevents a racer from posting X number of posts in a row. For example, if the SPL is 2, a player needs to wait for two more players to post before they can post again. Thirdly, because this is a derby, there also needs to be a system to manage players who do not achieve the PML in their heat. Once the third racer hits their PML, the SPL will be removed and all remaining players will have one in-world week to satisfy their PML. Those who do not will be rank ordered by how many posts they made when the week completes. They will then be permitted to enter the next leg after a certain number of posts have passed (scaled to their position).

The first racer who completes the circuit will win semi-eternal glory for their family and tribe, and will enjoy the largess of Knoxer living for decades.

[​IMG]
    A refurbished Fort Knox, circa 2800

Knoxer Players
    Knoxer players will be playing a more traditional game, staying primarily with other Knoxer players at Knox. They will get to enjoy lavish watch parties on floating holo-screens with the finest food and drink gold can buy and guns can steal. These players will get to enjoy a special mechanic known as “influence points”. Each Knoxer player will have 8 influence points, representing their power and reach. These influence points can be spent to make things happen in the game, as well as traded with fellow Knoxer players for other types of in-game favors. Points may be awarded at the GM’s discretion as rewards for particularly interesting posts or contributions to the game. Any trading of points among Knoxer players may be done over PM so long as the GM is included in the conversation to verify the deal.

The cost to impact one player, once, is one influence point. You can get a group discount to impact all players for 5 influence points, but no player will be able to be singled out utilizing this action. The nature of the impact can be explored with the GM, but the GM reserves the responsibility for translating point spending to in-game outcomes Points can be spent at any time in the game, but will not be applied retroactively if a player beats the GM to an update. In this case only, points will be refunded to the player. Its advised not to wait too long in a leg to spend these points.

[​IMG]
    Derby Racers Fighting Accross Lexington during the 2699 race

The Rules
    1. GM is Law
    2. Respect the TOS
    3. No Godmoding
    4. No Spamming, Trolling, Baiting
    5. Keep it clean (language and ICs)
    6. GM’s will control most of the NPCs, though characters are encouraged to help if they can do it responsibly
    7. Time progression will be linear. GM reserves the right to bend time to his will as needed to progress the story
    8. Observe in-game rules
    9. Death will only come if you do something very stupid in this RPG. Injuries on the otherhand…
    10. OOCs are permitted in thread.
    11. Any other questions can be PMed to the GM
    12. ALL SHEETS MUST BE PMED TO THE GM FOR APPROVAL
    The Character Sheets

[​IMG]
    A Group of Four Mammothers exploring near Cincinatti, 2827

Mammother (Racer) Player Sheet (Limit 12)
    First Name:
    Clan Name:
    Clan Leader or Clan Representative:
    Eye Color:
    Hair Color / Style:
    Clothing / Appearance:

Clan History (include how long its been since clan was a Knox family, if ever):
    Personal Bio:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Big Whig Edelheim Zillus at the Annual Bullet Ball - Knox, 2825

Knoxer Character Sheet (Limit 6)
    First Name:
    Family Name:
    Whig Rank:
    Big or Mid ("Big" is a Family Leader, "Mid" is a Family Representative or Relative of a Big Whig)
    Eye Color:
    Hair Color / Style:
    Clothing / Appearance:

Family History (please include when they arrived at Knox - can be no less than 35 years ago and no more than 200 years ago):
    Personal Bio:

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  16. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    REMINDER

Bob: I'd like to remind the audience that we are counting votes through the like system. We'd like you all to read all the GM posts and then cast your vote through the Liking that post. At the end of the 3 day voting period, the tallies will be counted and the new prompt will be posted. Participants are indeed allowed to vote as well.

darthbernael and Shadowsun like this.
  17. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    Okay Blu, Puma, whatever your name is! Who do I send my CS to?!

*brandishes shotgun* :p

*cries inside that these aren't real games* :_|

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Quick clarification, Bob (or Sheev): Though the contestants are allowed to participate in the liking/voting, am I correct in assuming that they are not allowed to vote for their own submission?

darthbernael likes this.
  19. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Okay, there is one I would love to play. Haha, I make it a mini-game in guessing who did which OP.

20. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    *Taps @LordTroepfchen like finger*

Sheev: IT ONLY GETS TO LIKE ONE THING, OR ELSE IT GETS SHEEV'S LIGHTNING STING.:emperor::emperor::p

[​IMG]

Bob: @Reynar_Tedros Seeing as the only people who, in theory, would know the truth would be the host and the GM Olympian, I don't think it hurts the integrity of the process. Obviously, that tally will not weigh as heavily as the other. So, if at the end there is a tie for first place and one or two of those tallies came from a participant voting for themselves, the other olympian would win. I think that's fair.

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Plus, at the end, we’ll all find out if a contestant voted for their own game, and nobody likes that guy. :p

darthbernael likes this.
  22. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Okay, am I the old guy now who did not get the rules? Corrected. A shame as I really feel I got two favorites here. Choose one. Hope you all are satisfied now!

Amazing games. Very different and yet very alike at least two of them in concept. Love how you can see two GMing concepts spinning a tale of the same idea.

23. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Yes, you are the old man now. Sorry. Sheev is at least slightly older than you! Slightly.

Great games. I truly feel it is a shame we won't see them played. Also I arrogantly thought I'd know whose game is whose before and I gotta say I am not so sure anymore actually ...

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Never say never!

25. Shadowsun

Shadowsun Force Ghost star 4

Jun 26, 2017
    *sniffles and slowly puts down shotgun*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.