main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests THE 2020 SUMMER GAMES - GAME DESIGNER'S CHALLENGE EDITION

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by The Jedi in the Pumas, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Certainly is fun, can‘t wait for the next one! So how good do you guys know each other? Can you guess who is who? (no spoilers of course)

2. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    Not really. I can say a few are not from you, but otherwise I got no idea.

3. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    I don’t know if there is a way to answer that wouldn’t be spoilers. Lmaoo

Shadowsun likes this.
  4. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    *is astounded......sits blinking dumbfounded.* That's some competition there.........

5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I definitely know two of them (one of them being my own, duh). The other two could go either way.

6. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    After second reading I guess I got all four identified. Curious to see if I am right or wrong.

7. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Lets try to keep the guessing games to a minimum. With 4 participants, it isn’t the hardest thing in the world to do, nor is it the goal of the games.

Please continue to judge the OPs on their merits alone. :)

EDIT: discussion of the actual OPs is more than encouraged. What you liked, didn’t liked, and ultimately what made you cast your vote the way you did.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    *wants to discuss all games but also doesn’t want to give away which game is his*

The fact that Game 1, a sequel to The Thing, is currently the leading vote getter, makes me think I should really get around to finally watching The Thing. :p

Game 2 and 3’s similarities are pretty entertaining, even down to the acronyms. I like how they still manage to set themselves apart though, as 2 seems to be a bit more serious in its story based approach, where 3 appears to be more mission based and doesn’t reveal much of an overarching plot. Also, shoutout to Casper Darling.

I love the creativity of Game 4, as there’s really nothing like it currently running in the RPF, and the system it implements for the races is unique and compelling. (Blu, we using this for the Midnight Club reboot or what?) It’s also the game that does the best job of adhering to the prompt, which I think should be given some weight. Presented with an image of a race, it’s the only game that’s actually about racing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  9. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Are we allowed to discuss them?

10. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    I think Puma encouraged you to do so above.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  11. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    100% Yes. That's what these three days are for: voting and discussion. Both will be taken into account at the end.

Because there is limited time to do so, they don't have to be long, elaborate reviews. I'm looking for what people liked, disliked, etc.

I, your humble host, will be posting my breakdown of all the OPs tomorrow.

Reynar_Tedros and Shadowsun like this.
  12. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Okay, quick notes ...

Reverse Order.

All four I think are great pieces to read. Enjoyed them a lot.

Gold-Rush: The Blue Blood Derby is indeed the only game that is about racing and got this racing mechanism that is really interesting! The set-up is also very cool. The motivation for racing is also pretty good. Problem I had here was, I got questions. Will I also play my character between races? Also I felt there was a lot of background that is probably irrelevant for the game itself. Felt more like a first draft than the others. Could be the best of them after a few more revision cycles. Rules were a bit overdone.

Agents of TIME is the funnier, more light-hearted of the two time-travel tales. I laughed quite a lot about MC Hammer and felt this is really a cool OP. It fell a little short when it came to how the actual game is about, as it only hints I have to keep things from happening. How do those rifts happen? Also it avoids a bit the traps of time travel ... both weaknesses I can hardly hold against it, because it seems so very entertaining.

Bonus points for coolest rules.

T.A.R.C., is a more classical affair. It has an incredible opening scene, which sets the tone of a spy thriller within the limits of time travel. First pic is damned perfect. Grabbed me. Then it explains the agency the player will be part of in depth. All perfectly written up. Antagonists get hinted at, time travel problems get addressed. All very neat and probably the most complete of all OPs, but it lacks a bit the mystery. There is too much already handed to me, so I got a very clear picture of what this game will be about, but little room for fantasy.

I gotta say those two GMs should fuse their games and create one together. They would probably have the perfect game.

The Thing II - Infection is my favourite and got my vote therefore. Very lean it captures the spirit of the 1982 film perfectly. Amazing and haunting intro, turning the pictures it uses into something sinister.
    Then the second section lays out the battleground Boston perfectly fine. An infected Doctor and a bunch of interesting characters to choose from.

The rules kill it. This mention players can be infected and therefore could be The Thing suddenly changes everything. The paranoia of the movie is suddenly there. Every fellow player can be the Thing! Oh my, what an idea. Got my vote and it is the game I could possibly not resist joining!

Amazing work guys! Can't wait for the next round!

13. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    I picked The Thing II because it had the best atmosphere for me. I was dragged right into the setting of an alien life assimilating organism set free in Boston 1982. The paranoia of not knowing who is a human and who is a Thing could be an amazing scenario to play out. I also felt the presentation was the most innovative. Lean and yet very complete. The intro about the number of lifeforms set the scale of the threat so perfectly well. Images of a 75 billion ton THING will be haunting me in my sleep. Like Lovecraft on steroids.

Whoever put this one up, please consider running it!

14. TheSithGirly

TheSithGirly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2007
    Yes you should!

Really cool this is around again. Seems eternity since I saw a contest anywhere. I can‘t decide between two games, so I refrain from voting. But I will watch this in my rare visits around here with great interest!

15. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Host Evaluation

I will be doing a short evaluation of the games based on 3 main categories: Originality, Use of the Image, and Use of theme/genre. Followed by a quick analysis of the overall OP.

Gold-Rush: The Blue Blood Derby
    Originality: 9/10
    Use of Image: 8/10
    Use of Genre: 2/10

This game wins the originality category by a long shot. The world was completely created from scratch and not just the physical state, being post-apocalyptic (Anyone can just state a game is in a post-apocalyptic world). The game explains how society reshaped itself in the aftermath and the rules by which the citizens govern themselves. All unique and original. It was the only game that used the image of a race and actually made a racing game. While use of the image does not require for the GM to make the game about what's depicted, it is important to note that the game was built around the image itself and the image was not just used as a throwaway. The weakest part of this OP was the genre depiction. The claim of sci-fi is not wholly inaccurate, but a nuclear war does not mean that the genre is sci-fi and there did not seem to be a sci-fi element in the game going forward.

Possible missed opportunity: Having the vehicles retain an older look, but be scientifically improved/advanced in some way to reflect the changing massive advancement in years the game has taken. Though given the state of humanity, it did make sense that such technology would not be readily available.

Agents of TIME
    Originality: 6/10
    Use of Image: 4/10
    Use of Genre: 8/10

I enjoyed reading through this OP. Sometimes the best OPs are simple, straight to the point and allow the players to jump right into it. As someone who has never been a long OP writer, this spoke to me. :p Given a black and white image of an old race, the direct sci-fi approach was taken: time travel. I'm not mad at that and appreciate the take on the travelers themselves: It kind of reminded me of Ghostbusters meet time travel; we're just here to clean up the messes. Use of image was low with this one because while the image was not used as a throwaway, there seemed to be no specific meaning of what's being depicted beyond being used as an example.

Possible missed opportunity: Time traveling itself could be a race against foreign government time traveling agencies. Past, present, and future. Whatever player wins gets a head start in altering history or claiming credit for fixing the rift. Like an arms race, but with time travelling. :p:p

T.A.R.C.
    Originality: 6/10
    Use of Image: 6/10
    Use of Genre: 8/10

This was my favorite. The story was engaging. The past of the characters being erased in order for them to become agents was a bonus. It felt like a spy time travelling thriller which I find, personally, super engaging. The same approach was taken by this OP, but with a more mission oriented concept.

Possible missed opportunity: Similar to the one mentioned above.

The Thing II - Infection
    Originality: 4/10
    Use of Image: 2/10
    Use of Genre: 7/10

Gotta give sequels and remakes a more critical eye when it comes to originality and creativity. The main reason, however, I give this a low score in the originality department is not because it's a sequel but because of the lack of expansion or next step beyond what the original movie was about. Which would have been fine if it was called "The Thing", but with a sequel comes the expectation of something different. The use of the image is tied with the originality, unfortunately, in this criticism. The image used was only used as a throwaway mention. However, all is not bad. The offering of the casting of the roles was a nice twist, as if the GM is directing a new movie itself. Very nice and unique among the submissions. Also, to get the idea of making a sequel of the Thing from a black and white image of cars racing is genius and I truly appreciated the thought put into doing that.

Possible missed opportunity: To build upon the threat of the Thing (if it is supposed to be a sequel instead of a remake) and put the GM's own personal twist on it.

All in all, AMAZING submissions. Tonight the final votes will be tallied and tomorrow I will post the new challenge! Thanks to all our Olympians and audience members!

16. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Too late to give our opinions now? Interesting how different people see the games.

Looking forward to the next challenge, really. This is sooo much fun,

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  17. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Not at all, old sport! Please proceed if you have something to add! And one does not need to do a critique of all the games; only a mention of what you liked and why is acceptable as well!

18. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    Had to write updates first, so my late humble observations of these four amazing OPs.

Gold Rush: The Blue Blood Derby

I liked the racing mechanics a lot. Would love to see how they work in a game. The world-building was wonderful (someone played Fallout), also I wondered while reading how much the world will actually be part of the playing experience. It took the picture and made the most obvious kind of game with it, which was a challenge itself. Great OP. My only critic was it felt a bit like a game designed for a contest.

First I disliked the pictures, but I gotta say the grew on me.

T.A.R.C.

First of both time travel thrillers. Or the thriller of both time travel tales better said. I must say the intro-scene is a stand out. Perfectly done. The player characters as „erased persons“ had the „Predestination“-vibe, which is a strongly underrated masterpiece of a movie.

It lost a bit of drive in the second part, where the agency was described. Again this felt like a this was done with the consciousness of being in a contest, while a real game would have left much of this to the first scenes of the game.

Nevertheless a very complete OP, which created a rather complicated plot in a very smooth and competent way. Could imagine it would be a very good game, actually.

Agents of T.I.M.E.

Very funny. I laughed a lot. Easily the most amusing of the OPs. Great writing. I just felt a little as if I was waiting on WHAT IT IS ABOUT a bit too long and then got a rather short introduction to the actual plot of the game. I leave the OP without really knowing what I am up against. Putting the concrete first mission in would probably have sold this idea completely to me.

It had many ideas though and presentation was rather unique. The light-hearted tone is something that sets the game apart from the three other rather serious entries and it was my second favorite.

The Thing II - Infection

I found it the best written of the four entries. No fat at all. Every word added something. The intro was lean and sucked you right in, presenting the scope and threat of the scenario in a perfect way. The tone of The Thing was perfectly hit here without going the obvious route of doing a movie-like scene. The pictures were used to great effect (also I found the pic of The Thing a bit overdone and wondered if it was necessary). The one game that used the picture and actually changed it‘s nature into something spooky.

The pre-defined characters gave this a movie feel. The scenario of putting the Thing into a city of a million people was effectively presented. It is a logical and same time frightening idea for a sequel. Most sequels (comics, games and screenplays) went the „another isolated region“ route, which this one did not.

The Rules made this my favorite, really. Clever use to introduce one of the main points of the game by revealing player-infection was possible. All in all I had a hard time deciding between this one and my second fave, but felt this had done more with less. All in all the best OP of them all in the sense of giving me and idea what kind of game I actually enter. I had visions of forcing my co-players into a test right away, nervously waiting for GM updates as one by one were revealed to be a Thing or not. That was actually something that was never done in a game before and it sold me on this one. Perfect idea for a post-by-post game. Therefore it got my vote.

All in all a frightening good field of competitors so far. Easily every one of the four could have got my vote had the others been a bit weaker. Congrats to all four contestants!

Lawbreaker and Shadowsun like this.
  19. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    SECOND GAME MANAGER PROMPT

THE IMAGE:
    [​IMG]

The Theme: Two Worlds Collide

GO!

20. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #1 for Prompt 2:
    Atsuko, Japan

Governor Takata Katsu has died.

The Shogun of Japan has ordered an army of Samurai into Atsuko in the resulting power vacuum.

The last of the Ninja in the territory fear that their way of life may soon come to an end.

***************​

The Last of the Ninja

***************​

Early evening

Kai Naoki walked the streets of Atsuko alone. It was quiet out, his footsteps the only sound that he could hear against the calm wind that softly blew the leaves from their trees. Most of the people had already gone to gather in the town square to witness the arrival of the Samurai, as they were scheduled to be making landfall shortly. Kai would not be joining them. Instead, he approached a small dwelling at the end of the street, and without announcing his presence, opened the shoji and entered.

Inside, a bald elderly man with a long, thin mustache knelt on a white cushion, while a woman dressed in a long white kimono with a green sash knelt on her own cushion behind the old man and to his left. A cushion was placed in front of the elder, where the new arrival was expected to take his place.

“Naoki-san,” the old man said. “It is good to see you.”

“Obu-sama,” Naoki bowed his head, then looked at the woman seated at the back of the room. “Keiko-san.”

The woman bowed her head in return. “Naoki-san.”

The old man named Obu motioned for Naoki to sit on the cushion before him. “Sit,” he said invitingly. Naoki complied. “Would you care for some cha?”

“Please,” said Naoki.

Obu tilted his head to Keiko behind him. “Keiko, bring us two cups of cha, please.”

“Yes, Obu-sama,” Keiko said, and with the fluidity and grace of a feline, stood and slipped through the shoji behind her.

Naoki and Obu stared silently at each other for a moment, before the elder man spoke. “Still wearing your old Samurai armor, I see.”

“Old habits die hard,” said Naoki.

“Mm. So, Naoki-san. What is it you wish to discuss?”

“It is about the Samurai, Obu-sama,” Naoki said. “Their presence troubles me.”

Obu chuckled softly. “You are Ninja, Naoki-san. I would be concerned if the Samurai’s presence did not trouble you.”

“But you are Ninja, too. And Keiko-san. Yet you seem content.”

“It is difficult when one’s way of life is threatened, certainly. But we are powerless to change, and must adapt when it arrives in order to survive.”

Naoki shook his head. “The Shogun made clear his intentions to eradicate the Ninja. You speak of survival, but this is not it. This is our destruction.”

“No. This is our evolution, Naoki-san. The Shogun has offered peace to Ninja willing to come forward and lay down their arms. Some may even be welcomed to join the ranks of the Samurai. Or in your case, welcomed back.”

The back shoji opened and Keiko entered carrying two cups, which she set quietly before the two men before returning to her cushion.

“Thank you, Keiko-san,” Obu said. He took the mug before him and sipped from it, then set it back down.

“Thank you, Keiko-san,” said Naoki. “Obu-sama, I must disagree. This is a genocide for the Ninja.”

Obu laughed in response. “Oh, child, you speak of genocide, when truly there are very few Ninja left. You know this. We have been dying out long before the death of our Governor and the arrival of the Samurai. But now we have the opportunity to give our lives new purpose, instead of fading away with the times.”

“Submission to the Samurai is not purpose,” Naoki argued. “It is a concession to be ruled by barbarians, to let our people be ruled by barbarians.”

“The Samurai are not barbarians, Naoki-san. They are honorable protectors of the Empire.”

“You speak of honor? No, Obu-sama. I defected for their very lack of it. The Samurai will kill any man, woman, or child who does not show them the proper respect. They cut off heads in public and laugh as the blood pours through the streets, because they know they are untouchable.”

Obu shook his head. “Tall tales and lies spread falsely to propagate an agenda against peace and order. I am sad to hear you succumb to such fables.” The old man took another drink of his cha.

“They are not fables. I have witnessed it with my own eyes.”

“It has been twenty years since you left them, Naoki-san. Times have changed.”

“It is I who am sad, Obu-sama,” Naoki said somberly, “to see you succumb to their false ideals. The Ninja have existed peacefully here for hundreds of years. Governor Katsu-sama understood our importance, and his father before him. I wish you shared their wisdom.”

“Governor Katsu-sama failed to see the writing on the wall. The Shogun was wise to replace him with Samurai rule.”

Naoki sighed. “So willing are you to sacrifice your people.”

“It is not sacrifice, Naoki-san, you must understand. It is agreeing to peace.”

“You speak of peace.” Naoki’s eyes flashed to Keiko for an instant. “Was it peace when you murdered Governor Katsu-sama?”

Obu, who’d reached down to grab his cha, froze. “What did you say?”

“I asked you if you considered it peace when you murdered Governor Katsu-sama.”

“You watch your tongue, boy,” Obu spat, glaring daggers into Naoki. “You speak nonsense. The Governor died of a heart attack, confirmed by the shogunate.”

“The shogunate lied to prevent suspicion of their ulterior motives. The Governor was poisoned by you, and the Shogun hired you to do it so that the Samurai would have their opening to occupy Atsuko.”

“Ridiculous. You have lost your mind, Naoki. You have no proof of your preposterous claims.”

“Ah, but I do, Obu. You were careless. Very unlike a Ninja.”

Sweat began to form on Obu’s head, his thick brows furrowed.

“In your haste to escape the Governor’s residence undetected,” Naoki continued, “you failed to account for his maid, who saw you leaving just before he succumbed to the poison you put in his sake.”

“Ha!” Obu shook his head. “You rely on the testimony of this false maid, who you have conjured up from your devious imagination.”

“But she is not false at all, Obu. She is Keiko’s sister.”

Obu’s head quickly turned towards the woman behind him. “Keiko?”

“She told me that night,” Keiko said. “After alerting the medical staff of the Governor’s predicament, of course.”

“Why, you two-“ Obu stopped. He froze, sweat pouring down his face now, which had become a deep shade of red. His eyes began to widen, and his hands moved to his throat. “What,” he tried to speak, but his words were caught.

“What’s the matter, Obu?” Naoki said. “Didn’t recognize the taste of your own poison?”

Obu stared at Keiko, stricken with panic and fear. Then he looked at his cup of cha on the ground, half empty, where Naoki’s was full and untouched. “You?”

Keiko nodded once, her eyes full of malice.

Obu shook his head, and then, panicking, fell to his hands and knees on the floor and vomited blood on the tatami mats beneath him. “Treachery!” he croaked through stained teeth, blood dripping from his lips. He retched again, and fell with a thud in his own blood, twitching and breathing his painful last.

Keiko and Naoki calmly stood from their cushions, looking down upon the man who was once their proud Sensei, and now their disloyal victim.

After a moment of silence, Naoki spoke. “You have informed the others?”

“I have,” said Keiko. She reached behind her head and pulled out the sticks that kept her bun in place, letting her long black hair cascade down her shoulders.

“Then we begin tomorrow. The Samurai will soon know the wrath of the Ninja.”

“Our will is your command, Naoki-sama.”

Naoki nodded to Keiko with great solemnity. He then turned and exited the dwelling through the shoji from which he’d entered. He went around the side of the small house and scaled the building like a spider, his agility making him appear to be a climber of almost supernatural ability. He then jumped across to another roof, and then to the side railing of a tall building that loomed over the streets of Atsuko. He scaled this tower using outcroppings and small landings along the side of it, hearing the hoofs of the approaching horses clattering on the streets below him. When he reached the top of the tower’s tattered roof, he walked to the edge of it, scanned the horizon where the pagodas stood tall against the backdrop of the cloudy sunset above the ocean, and looked down and watched as the Samurai paraded down the street on horseback, toting their flags proudly, conquerors of their new land.

The two worlds were colliding. The world of the Samurai, stern, rigid, and merciless; and the world of the Ninja, fluid, hidden, and free.

So sure are you that we are the prey, Naoki thought as he watched the Samurai passing below. But you are gravely mistaken. We are the predators. It is you who are the prey.

[​IMG]

Hello, and welcome to The Last of the Ninja. This is an RPG that takes place in the fictional region of Japan called Atsuko, in the year 1850. Fearing the demise of the shogunate against the expansion of industrialism and the encroachment of western ideals, the Shogun desperately sends out Samurai across the country to demonstrate their full power and eliminate any and all threats to the Empire.

One of the primary threats to peace, according to the Shogun and his Samurai, are the enigmatic and elusive Ninja clans scattered across Japan. Bitter rivals for centuries, the Samurai and Ninja ways of life have consistently found themselves at odds with each other. Where the Samurai answer only to their ruling Daimyos and the one Shogun, Ninja operate free of oversight and restrictions, often unlawfully hiring out their services to the highest bidder. Where the Samurai fight honorably and face to face with their opponents, the Ninja prefer espionage and deception, often sticking to the shadows and assassinating their targets from hidden locations, or using poison and various types of traps against their enemies.

Now, as the Samurai expand into Atsuko with ambitions of stomping out the last vestiges of the Ninja, it is up to you to determine who will emerge victorious from this war that has spanned generations. Will you be a Samurai, gathering intelligence and following leads to determine the locations of the Ninja in an effort to eliminate them with your swords and elite combat training? Will you be a Ninja, one of the last surviving members of your secretive order, living in the shadows and evading detection and eradication at the hands of the oppressive Empire that seeks to destroy you and your kind? Or will you be a peasant, a simple citizen of Atsuko from any walk of life, sympathizing for one cause or the other, fighting to support the Samurai or vowing to protect the Ninja? The choice is yours. The fate of these two worlds is in your hands.

[​IMG]

Character Sheet:
    Name:
    Affiliation:
    Personality:
    Biography:

Rules:
    1: Send character sheets to the GM for approval.
    2: No god-modding allowed unless otherwise stated.
    3: All posts must follow the TOS.
    4: If a player fails to respond to a tag in a reasonable amount of time, the GM reserves the right to control their character(s) until the player’s return.
    5: No nitpicking about historical inaccuracies. Consider this an AU of Historical Earth.
    6: Questions, comments, suggestions, etc. can be PMed to the GM at any time.
    7: Have fun!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  21. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #2 for Prompt 2:

[​IMG]

The war began at the river Uji on a sunny afternoon. Taira no Kiyomori, the powerful Samurai General of the mighty Taira family hunted down the last of the true heirs of the deceased Emperor and after a short struggle with their protectors executed them.

He had put his own two year old nephew Antoku on the throne and had left him in the care of his mother Taika no Tokiko, a woman known for her cruel and calculating mind. The powerful Taira family considered themselves at the peak of their power, having established the first Emperor of a Samurai dynasty and having gained therefore control over most of the land. They had underestimated their enemies, though.

[​IMG]

Minamoto no Yoritomo, the poet, priest and honorable Samurai Lord of the family Minamoto has followed the call to arms and had died with the heir at the riverbank of Uji. His ninth son, Minamoto no Yositsune had in the meanwhile begun gathering allies around him, to avenge the murder of the rightful heirs of the Emperor and his father. He has declared the House of Taika to have no honor and has called for it‘s extinction. The Samurai loyal to the fallen heirs of the Throne have sworn to avenge the Emperor‘s line and depose the Child-Emperor, controlled by Clan Taika.

Like all great wars, the conflict that history will call it the Genpei-War is also one of world-views. The Minamoto family is a stern believer in Bushido and their members count not only great warriors, but also many of the greatest poets, buggiest monks and philosophers of their time. The world they want to create is one of justice and honor. The Taika Clan on the other hand has embraced power and all true power is taken. They have perfected the Art of War, politics and intrigue and their coup has made them more powerful than any Samurai clan has ever been before in the history of Japan. These two world-views clash on the field of honor and blood and whoever will win the war, will decide the future of all of Japan.

THE WAR OF THE SAMURAI
    A Game of War in ancient Japan​

[​IMG]

Welcome to The War of the Samurai, a game set in ancient Japan, where two powerful families clash in a struggle for control of all of Japan‘s future and the control of the Emperor‘s Throne.

The game will follow roughly the events that have historically taken place, but will take great liberties in telling the story, to make it a thrilling ride.

Who can you play? Obviously, any Samurai on either side of the conflict is a good choice, as warfare and battle, duels and intrigue will play a great part in this. But many other roles are available. Maybe you are even the leader of one of the smaller houses or General. Monks participate in warfare in these times regularly. Both the Taika and Minamoto dynasty entertain a group of advanced and well-trained scouts, called the Shadows or as we know them „Ninja“. These highly trained individuals will not only spy on the enemy, but also are send by both side to eliminate key figures of the other side. A member of the court is a very interesting choice, as the death of the Emperor‘S family and the ascend of child to the throne has left a vacuum of power on Kyoto, that might be as dangerous as it might be interesting for those who know how to play the game of power. The Ronin, the Samurai without a Master, of these times have the unique chance to regain their honor, by joining either side of the war and proof their worth. Even the ordinary people of Japan, the smith and farmers, judges and constructors might find themselves captured in this conflict and forced to choose a side.

Whoever you play, you can choose either side of the conflict and be as loyal or not to the cause of the two families, as you see fit.

[​IMG]

Character Sheet:

Name:
    House: (if applicable)
    Affiliation:
    Weapons:
    Armor:

Bio:

[​IMG]

The Rules:
    1. GM word is law
    2. All character sheets must be PMed to the GM for approval
    3. Every character will get stats to represent his skill level. These stats will include his skills in riding, primary weapon, secondary weapon and stamina. The stats are only known to the GM and player of the character and should be kept a secret from other players at all times.
    4. Player versus player fights will be settled by a comparison of skills, with a six sided dice added to the skill to reflect the element of chance. The dice rolling is done by the GM and will only be reflected in his posts where he describes the outcome.
    5. God-modding is forbidden
    6. All NPCs are under GM control, but the players are able to use NPCs in their posts within reason.
    7. Have fun

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  22. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #3 for Prompt 2:

[​IMG]

Dejima – A Trading Game

From 1641 to 1847, worlds were colliding in the bay outside of the Japanese town of Nagasaka. There existed a small crack in Japan’s formidable isolationist armor. This crack’s name was Dejima, a formerly Portugese, then Dutch trading post. The Dutch had begun building warehouses in their old trading post in Hirado, some 80 miles to the north. Their use of western numerals angered the Japanese government, and they were asked to relocate to Dejima in 1642. Dejima began its nearly 200 year existance as the only portal to Japan, and its keys were firmly held by the Dutch East India company (Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie or VOC).

The year is 1704, and the tenure of VOC Opperhoofen (Supreme Head) Ferdinand de Groot has begun. He would serve as Opperhoofd for three years, a lengthy period of time considering the Shogun had requested the position be re-elected every year. The trading post is abuzz with activity, more than it usually is. A new ship, De Morgan Ster, is due to arrive soon. The Ster, they say, is laden with European cargo, which always sold well in Dejima. While a good portion of the hold is earmarked as part of the annual tribute to the Shogun, many traders anticipate healthy profits in their own businesses. Beyond this, larger trends dominate the post. It was essential that the next tribute mission to Edo go well. There was much talk in Japan on tightening the number of ships allowed to dock in Dejima. In response, the Ster is the first of a record number of ships departing for Dejima. In total, 24 ships were scheduled to dock in Dejima over the course of 1705 – their captains fearful that this unique and exclusive window of access into the markets of Japan will be closing soon.

[​IMG]
    Artists Rendition of Dejima, printed in Isaac Titsingh's Bijzonderheden over Japan (1824/25)

The Premise

Welcome to Dejima, a game of trading and learning. This historical fiction RPG sets players as European or Japanese traders. Each team will have access to a limited number of specialized goods to be traded with other players for gold or for other in-game events. The GM be in charge of adjusting the market prices of the various goods and services in the game, and will frequently adjust these prices to account for supply, demand, and shocks. The GM will also serve as the "bank" for traders purchasing goods from their home faction for resale in Dejima. Both European and Japanese players will have special parameters, strengths, and weaknesses that they will have to work around.

[​IMG]

European Players

All European players will either begin the game in Dejima or arrive there on De Morgan Ster. They will begin with a set number of goods based upon their profession/specialization. European players will have the opportunity to resupply their wares as new European trading ships dock in Dejima. These orders must be put in ahead of time and are limited in terms of types of goods. European players are also allowed to trade in contraband and information. These are high-risk, high-reward trades that can directly impact the environment in Dejima and track of the story. All nationalities in Europe can be played. Non-Dutch players will serve as defacto spies, being able to trade information to and from their home country to Japan. Dutch players will not have the information option, but instead will enjoy numerous preferential trading agreements by virtue of their association with the VOC.

Dejima is a small island, only 2.2 acres in size, and as such real estate is in high demand. A player working by themselves will have a warehouse able to hold 100 goods. Players can work together by forming trading firms. A firm’s warehouse is larger than what players would normally enjoy by a factor of 50%. Two players would have space for 200 goods working separately, but 300 working together in a single firm 1.5*(100*Players). Real-estate can be purchased on Dejima for a high price, that will fluctuate similarly to other goods.

European Players can order the following goods to trade:

From China/India/Taiwan (Triangle Trading – Two of every three shipments)
    • Silk
    • Cotton
    • Medical Materials
    • Sugar
    • Deer Pelts
    • Shark Skin
    From Europe (Every third shipment)
    • Books (Medicine and Naval Studies permitted; others are considered contraband)
    • Information
    • Scientific Instruments (Lenses, Telescopes, Glassware)
    • Cloth
    • Iron
    • Furniture
    • Gold
    • Perfumes
    • Alcohol/Tobacco
    • Processed Medicine

[​IMG]

Japanese Players

All Japanese players will begin the game in Nagasaki, outside of Dejima. They will begin with a set number of goods based upon their profession/specialization. Japanese goods never run out of supply; Japanese player inventories are only constrained by their budget. They are also able to buy their goods (for resale) at any time - they are not dependent on docking cargo ships. Japanese players can trade information, but this information is much less valuable than information about Europe. Japanese players are not constrained by the realities of Dejima real-estate and have unlimited warehouse space.

Japanese Players can order the following goods to trade:

From Japan
    • Copper
    • Silver
    • Camphor oil
    • Porcelain
    • Lacquer Ware
    • Rice
    [​IMG]

The Rules

• GM is Law
    • No Godmoding
    • Follow all RPF rules
    • Most NPCs will be GM controlled, though players may assist if done responsibly
    • Time progression is linear, but may jump as necessary
    • OOCs are permitted in thread.
    • Any other questions can be PMed to the GM
    • ALL SHEETS MUST BE PMED TO THE GM FOR APPROVAL

The Character Sheet
    First Name:
    Last/Family Name:
    Eye Color:
    Hair Color / Style:
    Faction: (European/Japanese)
    Nationality:
    Profession (Must be trader or specialist associated with one tradable good listed above):
    Clothing / Appearance:
    Personal Bio:

Lawbreaker and Master Vo'Un'Var like this.
  23. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    GAME MANAGER DESIGN #4 for Prompt 2:
    Ruben Feldman was standing over the corpse of the man. He was wearing his suit and his usually smug look was now intense and concerned. He knew everything about the dead man. George Tanner had been a regular to all three parks, actually. He had preferred Shogun Park, though. The Host had slid his throat with a blade hidden in her hair for later use in the storyline. Ruben sighed. Around him stood the frozen hosts of three courtesans. The one he was eyeing now was the one who had committed the murder.

"First generation. She has been around forever, never showed any malfunction.“ The Technician said.

"Analysis.“ Ruben said and knelt before the host.
    The Host came alive immediately.

"You know where you are?“ He asked her and she smiled as if she did not sit in a room with her victim.
    "I am in a dream.“ She answered in perfect English.
    "That is correct. Tell me who this man is?“
    "He was George Tanner, now he is dead.“ The Host replied.
    "Exactly. Tell me what is the last thing you remember about him.“ Ruben asked.
    "He said he is gonna have so much fun with me and then he hit me. Repeatedly.“ The Host said.

The Technician stepped behind her in his white overall. "Not correct. That is not what the other hosts say he did . . .“

Ruben raised his hand. "What happened then?“
    "He hit me until I . . .“ The Host seemed irritated.
    "Died?“ Ruben asked.
    "Yes, I died.“ She said and looked at Ruben.

"Cease motoric functions.“ Ruben said and the Host froze. Ruben looked at her.

"She remembers past encounters with the guest. She killed him, because . . . that is impossible.“ The Technician said.
    "Bring her into the vault and disable her.“ Ruben said and looked at the Technician. "And no word to anyone about this, you hear me?“ He hissed. The Technician nodded.

[​IMG]

"What is this?“ Feldman put his finger on the picture. „What the hell is that?!“

Ernie Morrow looked up, then down at the picture again and then back up.

"Well, let me make a leap of faith here, promo art for reopening?“ He said and yawned. He barely had slept more than two hours for weeks.
    "No, this is an embarassment! What time period is the armor from, hm? Gosuko? It is an Gosuko, is it? When were those used? 1500?“
    "Yeah, more or less.“
    "What the hell is that then?“ Feldman pointed at the wires running down the street.
    "Electricity? No, probably telegraphs.“ Morrow began to feel he might have digged his own grave here.
    "A hundred years before they actually existed in Japan? Electricity and Samurai never existed in the same time period, you morons! How does this happen? Hm?“ Feldman hammered his hand on the table.
    "We recycled some elements from the other park, we had a lot of time pressure, Sir.“ He looked at his colleagues who all out of a sudden were busy with . . . Something else.
    "I don‘t give a rats arse where you got those from! Dammit, Morrow! We got a chance to reopen the park, you understand that? After our collegians with the cowboys have killed a bunch of people, bless god mostly our own corporate guys, we get a second chance! We gotta take it! This next week will decide forever over the question, if this is the greatest entertainment experience in the history of mankind’s, or if we are just nerds who got it all wrong! You hear me?“
    "But, Dr. Ford . . .“ Morrow wanted to defend himself.
    "Is dead! Killed by one of those things, because he played around with their source code. So now double check them, then let the hisatorical team run checks and checks and checks. Get me this park in top form! We open in five days, goddammit!“ Feldman shook his head and turned to leave. Morrow looked after him. His predecessor Ford had been an idiot, but Ruben Feldmann was simply in over his head.

"I should run this place, or what do you say, my dear?“ He asked the host of Hiruki. Regrettably she was in analysis mode. "I do not understand the question, please specify the request.“ She said, as he put her faceplate back onto her skull.

"All good, little one.“ He smiled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S H O G U N
    W O R L D

[​IMG]

-Where Dreams come true -

Welcome to Shogun World!

Yes, we know what you are thinking. Who in the right state of mind would go to an amusement park full of heavy armed robots after what happened in Westworld? Believe us, we got those problems full under control. So how are we gonna get people to give us a chance? Well, first there is the 50% rebate we offer for the reopening, plus family bonus and a buy two, get a third for free offer for weekends. Our guests will find a world full of adventure, thrills and temptations. They will come. Believe me, they will come!

• Matthew Sennheiser, Member of the Board of Delos Industries

SHOGUN WORLD is a theme park, where adults can explore the most violent era of Feudal Japan. There are many scripted adventures they can embark on. The world is filled with hosts, absolutely lifelike imitations of humans, who all play the role they are programmed to play. That is the theory, at least.

The Hosts have lately been a bit problematic in other parks and some malfunctions have been known to give them a great deal of independence and freedom. Some hosts even came to the conclusion to be superior to humans. Nevertheless, at the beginning of the game this syndrome has not yet infected SHOGUN WORLD. Every host here is a slave to his preprogrammed story and believes he is a citizen of ancient Japan.

[​IMG]

Who can you play? You either play as a guest, which means you are probably a rich member of the 1% of the future, who has come to the park to enjoy all it has to offer, OR you play as a Host (which is an extremely lifeline robot, really), which means you are a Samurai, Ninja, ordinary person, courtesan or dangerous Ronin. You are unable to hurt any guest, also you are entirely unaware of it. What you might be is a Host who feels something is not right with the world around him. Something more than what he is doing and seeing is just under the surface. Rumors among Hosts about a strange, occult concept called The Maze are spreading and even though every host gets his memories deleted after every iteration of the game, the existence of the Maze seems to survive this process. What is the Maze and where is it to be found? Nobody knows. Some say it is a place, some say it a much more abstract thing, a thought.

[​IMG]
    Anyway, for both the Hosts and the Guests a journey of self-discovery begins, that will lead to an adventure not scripted and save. After all . . .

Violent delights have violent ends, after all.

Character Sheet:

Name:
    Chosen Role:
    Equipment: (you can have anything that exists in Feudal Japan, but modern equipment is strictly forbidden)
    Bio:

Host:

Name:
    Appearance:
    Designated Role:
    Equipment:
    Fictional Bio:
    (short, as they usually only have a basic one)

Trauma:
    (all hosts die multiple times, one of those events that lead to their demise might have survived in some sub-conscious way)

Rules:

1. GM word and Design Privileges are the law!
    2. No God-Modding for Hosts, Guests might God-Mod non-player Hosts.
    3. Death is a possibility, for hosts almost a certainty. Resurrection is for hosts an automatism.
    4. All Character Sheets to the GM
    5. Enjoy the stay and do not forget to recommend us to friends

*This game is based on HBO‘s Westworld

Sir_Draco and LordTroepfchen like this.
  24. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    Quick first impression:

First two seem to be very close to each other again (if this are the GMs who did both time travel games last time around, they should really do a game together).

The Last of the Ninja sounds cool and I like the intro scene, also it drags out a little longer than it probably should. Nice twist. Cool set-up. I wondered if the AU setting needed be. Very nice OP though. Cool pictures.

The War of Samurai is my favorite, as it felt very epic and broad. Also as far as I can say it keeps in line with the historical facts of the Genpai-War, which is a bonus. The tale is epic and would make an amazing roleplay, certainly. Amazing pictures and all in all the most rounded of the OPs. I could feel it. The battles, the duels, the intrigue, the war. My vote went to that one.

Dejima - A Trading Game is a cool idea, but I had not really a clear idea what the game would look like. Am I mostly calculating prices or am I actually playing a character with real in-game problems? Is this a simulation or an actual game where I play a character who falls in love and fights against rivals through intrigue etc.?

Shogun World is easily the most creative of the four, putting this into a niche of Westworld. I must say the weakness here is that I feel one must have seen the TV show to actually understand the game and the tension of what is coming (another HOST revolution within Shogun World). I liked the option to play a host and the subtle introduction of the elements of revolution. The idea of getting slaughtered again and again, while waiting for having my revenge is strangely appealing. Wondered if it would not have been better had it gone down the radical route and made the Hosts the only player option.

Again four cool OPs.

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  25. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Okay, we got only two days, right? So my quick one, too.

The Last of the Ninja had a cool set-up, really good scene, but felt it should have made more use of the iconic Ninja background. These guys in black who kill from the shadow and all that. Great first scene. My second favorite game.

Dejima is a great idea, but I feel like we are not getting enough of an idea what we are gonna do in the game. Buy and sell stuff? There must be more. Liked the set-up a lot. Highly appreciated for using a historical setting.

Shogun World is a cool idea and I love how the part about the Hosts is put together. I like the idea of playing a robot slowly becoming self-aware and rebelling against the rigged game he is forced to play every day. Unique RPing experience, probably. The scenes in the intro were a bit of a weak point for me. I felt they do not hit the mark like everything else after the Title Card.

The War of the Samurai was my pick. Fantastic job at creating the atmosphere of Ancient Japan on the brink of war, interesting choice to pick a real war and all in all an extremely complete OP. Pictures, text, character options, rules, all spot on. Feels like a truly epic game in the making. I could easily come up with a character for that one. Has this vibe of our big Star Wars games, just now with Shoguns and Samurai. I‘d say the best OP in the whole contest so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.