main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Long Snoot

Long Snoot Jedi Master star 2

Mar 1, 2018
    I guess the Nebulon BF is an "Hynestian Star Cruiser".

2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    So the YT-2400BT is this:

[​IMG]

OH I love corellian mods... Imagine a YT-1300 or the Falcon with such Battlepods on either side of its docking tubes... or attache Hammerhead double gunnery pods from Rogue One to a CR90 Corvette... Yikes Shipjunkiegasm!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    There was a Star Tours Starspeeder in TFA all this time? Okay, then!

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  4. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    I assume the NR replaced the huge, expensive MC85 with heavily modified and renamed MC80s to save costs. That, or the MC95 is a brand new ship that just happens to resemble the MC80.

And it's nice that they left room for the MC90 by jumping straight from 85 to 95. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Surprised that the designations for several ships:

Hynestian Star Cruiser
    Lothalian Corvette
    Ralltiiri Light Freighter

So Lando's story about the royal family of Hynestia may hint why those ships came.
    Lothalian Corvette might've come with the Ghost, which means the Lothal sector has a small but easy fleet (I dub it the "Bridger's Beacon" and Jai Kell commands the ship -- Hera and Jacen are on the Ghost and Ezra and Sabine are on a repainted and renamed Nightbrother).
    And Ralltiir, aside from being Pharl McQuarrie, Jeroen Webb and Derek "Hobbie" Klivian's homeworld, and being close to Chandrila, it's nice to see it getting some love.

Ventrix and Chrissonofpear2 like this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    What exactly is the Victor Wing? Is it TROS exclusive or is there another source for it? I'd love to see other views of it.

7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    TROS original yes and we got another shot of it but I cannot find it right now. It was not in the io9 clip nor the A Final Alliance target exclusive vid showing participants of the fleet shot. I think I saw it on some artists artstation or insta.

It kinda looked like Snokes Megadestroyer but starfighter to freighter sized... like a wide open V, akin to open U-Wing wings.

TheAvengerButton likes this.
  8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Nice, I'll have to try to track down that closer look, then. It kind of reminds me of the V-Wing airspeeder from DE/Rogue Squadron.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  9. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    The lost fleet of MC90s, with hangars filled with T75 and T80 X-Wings and B-Wings MK IIs.
    I'm not a fan of the new designation since I was hoping we'd finally gotten to see a fleet of unique MC80s like they're meant to be, but instead they are a whole new class of ship that didn't exist during the civil war. I also find it weird that the MC75 variant is just an MC75E rather than, say, an MC90. Maybe this one is older?

10. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    It appeared briefly in Vader Immortal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ventrix and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I think that Kylo's ship is actually called the TIE whisperer

[​IMG]

13. Long Snoot

Mar 1, 2018
    He refers to the imperial TIE that Kylo takes from the DSII ruins to travel to Exegol, which was retconned into a separate model to justify the hyperdrive.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    I meant the second time. The TIE he takes from the DS2.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Speaking of the Whisperer, I'm trying to find the images again, but someone pointed out on twitter something interesting in ROS- in that, while the TIEs that chase the Falcon through the mining iceberg are Special Forces TIEs, the ones that lightspeed chase the Falcon appear to be non-Interceptor-variants of the TIE Whisperer.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah that's also pointed out in the video above.

17. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    Regarding the missing MC90... Quite a few clues suggest the NRDF used another MC cruiser class apart from the MC85. The TLJ VD states that the MC85 was replaced by a "less crew-intensive design."

[​IMG]

The Home Fleet's composition implies a large cap ship force dominated by MC cruisers, making it unlikely that said "less crew-intensive design" was a non-MC ship. With these in mind, it's possible that the "less crew-intensive design" is referring to the MC90. And although most of the Home Fleet cruisers are MC80s, two are of an unknown class; those could very well be MC90s.

[​IMG]

But why not MC95s? The Star Wars Kids vid lists the Hosnian cruisers as "New Republic Cruisers," not MC95s, indicating that they're of a different class.

TL;DR: MC90s replaced MC85s in NRDF service, and two such ships may have been part of the Home Fleet circa 34 ABY.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Still, thinking about how the Resistance often uses the older models of New Republic designs yet are able to fight the FO more or less equally (barring the numbers advantage) makes you wonder how well the FO would have fared against the NR central fleet if it hadn't been taken out by Starkiller.

Or maybe not. After all, Vonreg was able to take out new model x-wings easily enough, yet gets killed by one of those same pilots in a beat up civilian racer/fighter later, so the tech advantage apparently isn't that overwhelming.

Snafu55 and The2ndQuest like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, I must have glanced past that, then. I thought it was a separate observation (or, it actually was a separate observation that was just confirmed by the video, thus why it resurfaced).

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: MC95 type

I fully agree that the MC95's were cruiser designed post-Concordance to provide the New Republic Navy and it's associated PSF's. As a few of you have pointed out, the MC85's were obviously too large and too geared towards fighting Imperial battleships, so they were quickly retired or mothballed. Using a hullform similar to the MC80A for the new MC95's makes good sense, as it is a tried and true design AND is symbolic of the fact that the New Republic was formed from the older Alliance.

If I had to guess, the main differences between the MC80/MC80A's and the newer MC95's are as follows:
    • Less crew intensive
    • More standardized parts to improve maintenance and reduce operating costs
    • Heavy focus on starfighter capacity and long range turbolasers and ion cannons
    • Heavily shielded to compensate for less armament that prior generation of cruisers
    • Incredibly fast sublight engines and hyperdrives
    We still need to come up with an IU reason for why the MC75 types are super common too. OOU, we know that the model was used due to it being an existing digital asset at ILM (like the MC95 digital model from Galaxy's Edge). However, I do wonder what is the in-universe reason. The sheer number of them (75+ in one shot alone) points to the MC75 being far more numerous than it's contemporary Rebel cousins.

Any thoughts or ideas?

--Adm. Nick

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I guess maybe the Rebels just did have a lot of MC75's, but they've been off-screen this whole time? I mean, that's how we explain the Rebel victory at Endor...lots of off-screen ships.

Speaking of Mon Calamari ships, how come all their Rebellion-era and New Republic-era ships have that "classic" Mon Calamari look, whereas earlier ones don't? Compare the MC75 and Recusant to the MC80, MC85, MC90, Viscount...

Iron_lord and Snafu55 like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The MC75s likely weren't part of any frontline Rebel or New Republic fleets, with a few specific exceptions like Profundity (which comes across in RO as being more directly under the more personal command/control of Raddus as opposed to Alliance command in general). They were probably serving as more support and civilian roles during the GCW while the MC80s took on the frontlines.

However, being frontline vessels, MC80s took more losses during the GCW (as we saw at least two were lost at Endor). After the war, the lost MC80s were replaced by the newer MC85 and, later, MC95s (with maybe the MC90 being a stop-gap produced in low numbers inbetween, possibly using left over MC80/MC85 components/facilities).

Meanwhile, the now-outdated MC75s were needed less and less as active NR military vessels and fell into use in local defense forces and civilian roles.

Fast forward to Exegol and that leaves fewer standing MC80s (and MC90s) in the galaxy to draw upon, but still a few of the newer MC95s and a whole bunch of MC75s that Lando can gather up because they weren't Starkiller targets or FO blitzkrieg priorities. "They're just people."

23. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    MC75s largely avoiding combat being the reason for their higher numbers at Exegol definitely makes sense to me. It would be interesting to see some of the variants we saw expanded upon as modifications focused on a support role. Or maybe a couple simply add more firepower, to bring them up to a par with other cruisers.

Speaking of the MC95, did anybody ever figure out a rough size estimate?

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Pons

Pons Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 11, 2019
    A lot of folks seem to be assuming MC95s were operated by the NRDF... The MC95 first appeared in Allegiance as part of Aftab's Mon Cala defense fleet, not the NRDF. The RoS novelization confirms the existence of a "Mon Calamari fleet" at Exegol, while no mention is made of NRDF forces. All the evidence points to the MC95s being operated by Mon Cala's defense fleet, not necessarily the NRDF.

Imo a more logical explanation is that the demilitarized NRDF never modernized beyond the MC85's "less crew-intensive" replacement(MC90), while the Mon Cals themselves continued to pump out cruisers until at least the MC95. The jump from 85 to 95 was likely a deliberate decision that took this into account.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    JABoomer, Daneira and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Maybe MC90s made up the fleet over Hosnian Prime. Poor Defiance and Galactic Voyager.

Chrissonofpear2 and Daneira like this.