main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation R rated Star Wars possibilities.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by black_saber, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Is there a possibility of R rated Star Wars film coming? There has been rumors about that circulating around some news sources.

I don’t know if the rumors are going to be true but I thought we could discuss the possibility. Personally I think R rated Star Wars would be perfect for the old republic movies and tv shows.

What are your thoughts about that?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Doesn’t seem possible. These films/shows are supposed to be for kids.

DarthRosie likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think of them as for all members of the family, not just kids. But all the same, an R rating might not fit that.

DarthRosie likes this.
  4. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I never thought Star Wars would have PG 13 movies until Revenge of the sith came out, so anything is possible. I do doubt about a R rated Star Wars films happening.

5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Its possible. We got R-rated Marvel movies with Deadpool and Logan, there's the talk about R-rated Trek from Tarantino, so it could be just a matter of time before we get an R-rated SW movie.

Maybe in a decade or two.

black_saber likes this.
  6. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Deadpool and Logan are not under Disney though (MCU). They were FOX when they were made

7. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    I always kind of thought it would be neat to have an R rated Star Wars, but hearing that it mainly involves more swearing and nudity, I'm cool with out it. It sounds like they can push the envelope with more graphic violence and more adult content and keep it PG-13. I wouldn't mind it being more graphic, but swearing and nudity just because...meh, no thanks.

I wonder what the Netflix Marvel shows are rated. Seems like Defenders might be PG-13, then the others either hard PG-13 to light R rating. I would like a Star Wars option like those, and less like Game of Thrones...even though I liked GOT...but that isn't Star Wars.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I don’t think there’s any need for it. Magic and humor are important in SW - even in the darker entries.

9. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe since Disney also bought 20th century fox, Star Wars can be R rated under the fox brand and maybe 20th century fox could start there own streaming service too. Especially if Disney wants to do R rated content for Marvel stuff, Aliens, predator or aliens vs Predator since Marvel bought those franchises too.

That’s just me predicting if there is a tv ma Star Wars tv show or R rated Star Wars movies. R rated Star Wars can still have a sense of humor too.

10. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Things have changed a ton since then. Basically every moderate (in terms of violence, etc.) movie gets a PG 13 nowadays, it is the standard for a blockbuster outside of animated movies.

There isn't much of a reason to assume that they would try to create an R rated Star Wars movie. The same is probably true for tv-shows as well. There just isn't really any reason for it. PG 13 already allows all of the gory stuff you could come up with. Anything beyond that just cuts into the own audience for the sake of doing something R rated, not because it is needed for the story. It is family entertainment after all.

11. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    If they didn't go R when they cast Adam Driver off his work on Girls, which baffled even him cause nudity, sex and swearing were basically his role on that show, they won't go R now. :p

12. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Before Phantom Menace:
    Before Phantom Menace in my teens and twenties, I wanted R rated Star Wars films. Not for sex or sexuality or cussing.

After Phantom Menace:
    After watching Phantom Menace in theaters 1999, I had quite a bit of thoughts about this. Am I missing something? Is GL playing with his audience? I think many of the fans pictured the Prequel trilogy films earning an R rating though gore, violence, heavy concepts, and the like, but not sexuality or swearing/profanity. The game of steering his films away from an R rating might have led George to introduce elements that would normally belong in a G rated film. That way he could introduce the Prequels far away from an R rating then slowly move them towards an R rating with Episode 3.

If a SW film ever becomes R rated, it should be R rated for heavy concepts, death, violence, and gore.

Profanity / swearing, sex, and sexuality can be left out beyond the minimal that adds realism.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    DarthRosie likes this.
  13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    SW doesn't need explicit sex but Anakin and Padme needed to be sexier. Keeping a forbidden romance between a dark lord in making and an uptight senator as chase as it was underminded the whole thing. and this is from a massive PT fan and Anidala shipper. POTC:AWE and Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Pt 1 had scenes that packed heat without being R or explicit.

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    "Dark and Gritty"
    The desire by some for Rogue One or Mando, but with blood splatters.

If we were getting a new movie every 6 months then maybe, but when it's one every year or two or three or four, then I think you're sticking to Disney level violence, which can still be pretty heavy duty at times.

Anakin burning beside the lava.
    Mando going all John Wick on the Stormtroopers.
    The odd chopped off arm.
    It's enough.

As for sex... eh. Leave that for creepy fan art.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I want Jediworld.

16. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    What do you mean? Padme got her top ripped off and we also saw Anakin topless

17. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Alright, I'm locking this thread. I think most of us can agree that the odds of Disney putting out an R-rated installment of one of their top four-quadrant franchises is pretty unlikely, but the "rumors about that circulating around some news sources" all come from one news source, We Got This Covered, which as many of you should know is a worthless propagator of clickbait and made-up scoops. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.