main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Empire Strikes Back 40th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Thena, Jan 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019
    Am I a heretic for not thinking TESB is better than ANH?

2. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    I saw the movie in the theaters today with my kids. I went to the earliest showing, so there was not much of a crowd. My kids enjoyed it. They had seen it before, but it is always nice to see it on the big screen. I had debated about going, but the theater I went to had good safety protocols and it was not busy. I saw the original run in theaters as a kid, the special editions when in college, and now this re-release with my kids.

Empire was number 1 at the box office this weekend. It only made about 500K this weekend, but with it playing in less than 500 theaters and the virus still around, not a bad haul.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes. Kidding; they are my 2 favorite movies.

4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I think there are a lot of people who like Star Wars 1977 the best. I'm pretty sure my dad liked that one the most.

Empire has always been in my top 5 movies of all time though.

christophero30 likes this.
  5. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
  6. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    ESB was the number one movie for 8 weeks in 1980.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Still my favorite SW movie! Just saw it in theater yesterday and it was wonderful. COVID safe, only about 20 percent of the seats were taken and my family had an entire row to ourselves, as well as empty rows behind us and in front of us. Still, it was great to see it on the big screen, as I'd never seen it in theater before, just on VHS, DVD, and blu-ray.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It was never going to be dethroned as the best SW movie. And never will be. It’s just too good, and the nostalgia factor makes it untouchable.

Jedi Daniel and christophero30 like this.
  9. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    just finished watching it on disney plus still a classic movie still my second favourite after ANH, one of the greatest films of all time and one of the greatest sequels ever made

10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Just got back from watching Empire at the cinema. There’s not much more to add that I haven’t said already. It’s a timeless classic.

11. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    How full was the cinema? And how did they react to the movie during key scenes?

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Odeon cinema closest to me that is playing it has it on for 4 days, with 2 showings a day and its only on a small screen, capacity of 60 people. With social distancing between each group I’d estimate it was half full last night. As for reactions, it was as usual for most films I go to, nothing over the top, people chuckling at some of the funny lines but no cheering and hollering.

christophero30 and themoth like this.
  13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The OT but especially ESB I hold dearly. First saw it on VHS in 1990 with my mum at 7 years old. I watched it again for the umpteenth time on Blu-Ray however this time was different. I watched it with my 7 year old daughter after watching ANH last weekend. This is a moment I've been waiting a long time for, the reaction to the twist. I even recorded it on my phone and I wasn't disappointed :)

For a movie that's 40 years old, I still consider it a masterpiece in many ways and it's a sequel I hold many others up to. It's impact on fans and culture is still felt to this day. One day, I will see it on the big screen.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    sith_rhino and christophero30 like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Such a great movie, and firmly established as tied for my second favorite Star Wars film with ANH (behind Rogue One, which is at the top).

christophero30 and bb8isno1 like this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    TESB is the only SW movie I haven't seen on the big screen (saw ANH and ROTJ in '97), but that's changing tonight. Got tickets for a screening at my local cinema. Large theater, but few tickets, so it should be safe (and we have next to no spread of the virus in my region right now).
    Really looking forward to it! Two and a half hours to go. :D

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Good. Our first catch of the day.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It was a blast to see the film in the theater. Even though it was the older transfer, it still looked gorgeous when projected onto the big screen. And the sound was fantastic.
    So many little things I noticed that I haven't before, both in the visuals and in the sound. It was a really nice experience, and I hope I'll get the chance to see it (and the other OT films) like that again. :)

18. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    ANH is coming to my cinema soon and I’m really excited. Hoping TESB and ROTJ are added soon after.

christophero30 and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's awesome!

themoth likes this.
  20. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Envious of all who get to see it on a big screen lately! I have seen TESB for a special release a few years back, but would really like to now as well.

They're both great. TESB, having a higher budget, is more polished, but on the other hand, ANH is a self-contained story (for the most part), and of course was the one that started it all. :)

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    ESB and ANH are definitely my favorites. ANH almost looks low budget next to ESB. ANH has the better ending, but I'd give the edge to ESB myself.

22. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I feel that ANH had a "happier" ending, but not a better one.

23. TIE Mechanic

TIE Mechanic Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 1, 2019

True, and I love all SW movies, but I found TESB contained elements which I found somewhat ridiculous (e.g. the Space Slug on the asteroid, inter alia).

24. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    It’s true, however ANH has a very special atmosphere. Particularly the scenes on Tattooine. An intimate, low key charm.

sith_rhino and christophero30 like this.
  25. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Absolutely. It plays like a futuristic western, the Tattooine scenes.

sith_rhino and themoth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.